Saints v Essendon - preview / discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints v Essendon - preview / discussion

Milestones: Milnes 250th game

Last time these sides met

Rd 3 Etihad stadium 2011
Bombers 8.2 13.4 19.5 21.10 = 136 defeated Saints 5.3 7.5 8.9 12.12 = 84
Brownlow Votes: 3: J Watson, 2: H Hocking, 1: J Gram

Injury / MRP concerns
Blake (ankle) Stanley (hamstring) Goddard (suspension)

Changes from last time (and there is a few)
Out Gamble, Smith, Peake, Dawson, Stanley,

Possible Ins
Jones, Siposs, Ray, Simpkin, Ledger, Wilkes, Newnes, Cripps

For mine, I'm thinking
Out Blake (inj) Stanley (inj) BJ (susp) Milera (omit)
In Simpkin Siposs Ray Newnes

Some possible matchups
Hayes v Watson
Dempster v Crameri
Fisher v Hurley
Ray v Stanton
Geary v Jetta

I'd assume Hocking v Dal?

Hopefully this game trends in the Swans/Carlton fashion where the boys beat someone who recently has had the upper hand, certainly have gone better this year against teams where they are not even given a sniff. I don't think it's beyond them, too much about the game v North was so incredibly wrong. Shouldn't be hard to improve on that effort, selection, intensity.

Simply HAVE to make a better account of the midfield this week, otherwise it will be the last half of the final quarter all over again.

My biggest fears are in the Ben v Ryder/Hille matchup. No Stanley, Blake....Kosi will simply have to help out more in there even if it's trying to get their focus off the footy.

No surprises either in the fact their runners are playing well, Stanton, Dempsey, Howlett, Melksham.

Ben, Lenny, Armo, Dal, Steven etc....it's up to you to make sure the ball doesn't get outside.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Essendon - preview / discussion

We may be without

Blake - Inj
Stanley - Inj
Goddard - Poss susp
Geary - Poss susp

Kosi needs a break - for many many reasons
Terry needs a break - find some touch.

That's alot of possible changes. Either way we wont be going in with a settled line up againt a side that is on fire and on top of that has the wood over us.

Stanton and Watson need to be stopped and their forward line is big and fast. They will spread even more than North so we must win the clearances and hurt them the other way.

My changes

Out: Blake, Stanley (inj) Goddard (susp) Millera (omit) - If Stanley gets up Kosi has a rest - If Geary gets a suspension Newnes gets a call up.
In: Ray, Siposs, Simpkin, Jones

What did Geary do?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:What did Geary do?
Nearly knocked Swallows head off while "attempting" to spoil. It started the mellee that cost us a 100m penalty and goal in the 2nd qtr. Were you out getting a cuppa?

Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Just heard that Crameri may be in trouble for a hit on Dylan Addison, medical reports have him with a sore jaw

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

There's not much you can do to stop Stanton and Watson getting 30 touches each. I'd just back Lenny and Dal to do the same, while having Ray try to keep someone like Dempsey or Melksham quiet.

Fisher - Hurley
Gwilt - Crameri
Geary - Jetta
Dempster - Reimers
Gilbert/Simpkin - Hille/Ryder

We need someone to shut Fletcher out of the game as well. Stanley would have been well suited to this and I really don't want Fletcher to end up running off Kosi all day. Perhaps it could be a good time to send Gilbert forward in a defensive role on Fletcher. Negate Fletcher's influence and Essendon's defence becomes a bit suspect. If we can break even in the middle, keep Fletcher out of the contest and take our opportunities then we're a good chance. The Hille/Ryder combo does worry me though as both will beat us in the hitouts and hurt us in defence.

Our execution will have to be much better to beat Essendon as they are a team that really makes you pay on the rebound. An easy missed shot on goal will often result in an Essendon goal.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:
SainterK wrote:What did Geary do?
Nearly knocked Swallows head off while "attempting" to spoil. It started the mellee that cost us a 100m penalty and goal in the 2nd qtr. Were you out getting a cuppa?
Borderline 50, let alone a report. Geary will be available this week.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I will wait for TAB to post the odds, then I'll be putting some coin on the Bumbers to win by 5 goals+ This game will be ugly.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Geary is available.

Crameri has been suspended. That is good news for us on both accounts.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Watters may want to look at Peake in the seniors before the year is out, like he has with Polo, Clarke & Ray…

I'm not asking for him to be promoted, but he has been going okay at Sandy apparently?

Kernal75
Club Player

Peake is done, he'll spend the year at Sandy and that'll be it.
Watters mentioned last night that he will reward youth who have been performing well at Sandy - to me that is the likes of Dunnell, Ferguson etc. Better off promoting one of them to the senior list for the rest of the year (Stanley LTI) and seeing how they go rather than having another look at Peake IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Peake is done, he'll spend the year at Sandy and that'll be it.
Watters mentioned last night that he will reward youth who have been performing well at Sandy - to me that is the likes of Dunnell, Ferguson etc. Better off promoting one of them to the senior list for the rest of the year (Stanley LTI) and seeing how they go rather than having another look at Peake IMO.

We can promote a rookie because of the rules but Stanley isnt a LTI so we cant promote two.

Kernal75
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

We can promote a rookie because of the rules but Stanley isnt a LTI so we cant promote two.
So even though Stanley may well miss th rest of the season that doesn't qualify as a LTI? Only 8 weeks to go and he'll be out for at least 6. What are the rules for LTI then?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I would guess Jones will return to tag Watson...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would give Simpkin a run with Hurley, I think he would suit the match up - he's got some good closing speed, can spoil from behind and can use the rebound to set up play and with out Goddard Fisher can get away from a rigid stopping role.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Kernal75 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So even though Stanley may well miss th rest of the season that doesn't qualify as a LTI? Only 8 weeks to go and he'll be out for at least 6. What are the rules for LTI then?
If he went onto LTI then he wouldnt be allowed to play anywhere for min 8 weeks. So basically we'd be ending his season now as he couldnt come straight back into Saints side having not played for 8 weeks, would need couple in VFL which would take it to 10 weeks. Still reckon its worth putting Blake on there.

We can promote a nominated rookie without putting anyone on LTI but only if our salary cap allows it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Can't see Stanley playing more than 1 or 2 more regardless…

Say he's ready in 6, he'll surely need a week or 2 at Sandy which only leaves 1 or 2 saints games to go…

At this point in our development we'd do well to give a taster to our two most promising rookies - from: dunnell, ferguson, curren, minchington… ?

That would surely be better for the team going forward than Rhys getting back for one match.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

going to be a hard one, bombers had us in last few. Thinking we could go well as like on our other two nice wins we are the underdogs again. Simpkin Jones Sippos in for me, maybe cripps for pace?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Mitch35
Club Player

First post here, usually am just a reader!

IN: Jones, Simpkin, Wilkes, Ray/Saad (if Saad is dropped - too many small forwards), Ledger/Peake/Saad (if still in) to sub
OUT: Goddard, Blake, Stanley, Clarke, Milera.

Milera needs some time in the VFL, as does Clarke, don't really feel he has a role for the team this week. Match ups are key as has been said.

Dempster vs. Watson - Dempster fits the description to take Watson nicely, Dempster isn't small and has some endurance behind him.
Jones vs. Stanton - the other mid we really need to shutdown, Jones really too short for Watson.
Gwilt vs. Crameri - Crameri is a unit. Gwilt has the height/strength combo to match, no one else really does.
McEvoy/Kozi vs. Hille/Ryder - We got run over in the ruck last week (not helped with Stanley injured, Kozzie ill). If Kozzie is right, he should help rest McEvoy up in the first half. Sub either Kozi, or Wilkes out of the game for a mid, with a more rested McEvoy to play out the rest of the game. Wilkes to give Essendon a headache up forward to start (3 bigs).

SUB: Ledger/Peake/Saad - really depends on what we want. I think Saad might be given a spell in the VFL, so Ledger would be a prime candidate to bring in, quick, good user. If we wanted a little more physical presence then bring in Peake to sub, he's also fast. Possibility of bringing Ray in for Saad if we want another mid who can play defensive.

EDIT: Oops missed Siposs. If we aren't fond of Gram's game, then Siposs to come in with Ray playing a Gram-ish role.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hi Mitch

Welcome to the forum :)

In case you hadn't heard, Crameri is out for two weeks which saves a matchup.

Dempster on Watson is a left field one.

I do worry about the damage the rucks could do, look at what Cox and Nic Nat did earlier in the year. Ben/Kosi just have to do their own share of damage up forward.

Hopefully the bug going through the club is over now.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

We are playing essendon. Our players will roll over and die before the ball is bounced. That is the usual attitude we have when playing essendon.

Why try when they are going to beat us anyway.

Essendon the unbeatable team....

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Richter
SS Life Member

Saints have the 'Saturday night at Etihad' advantage.

We haven't lost a home and away game there on a Saturday night since round 9, 2003

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Saints have the 'Saturday night at Etihad' advantage.

We haven't lost a home and away game there on a Saturday night since round 9, 2003
Have to say Richter, it has a bit of the 'Carlton haven't beaten us since we wore the yellow pura jumpers' vibe bandied about on here in 2010 for my liking. :)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Richter wrote:Saints have the 'Saturday night at Etihad' advantage.

That's right, but we lost the "end of an era" elimination final.