SAINTS have some tough decisions at the end of the year!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

We are heading into the year of the super draft and we obviously have some urgent list requirements to fill - Key Defenders and Ruckman. The other issue for us is IMO we will never take the next step while we continue to play too many unskilled one side footballers.

You would think given the strength of the draft they would want to take at least 4 selections at draft time. If GODDARD happens to leave we would expect another two high draft selections in return.

With the above in mind the SAINTS will need to trim their senior list significantly to fit the draftees or trades onto the list. The added pressure is obviously the performing Rookies – Archer has been on the Rookie list for 3 years (does he deserve a senior spot), Curren, Fergusson and Andreoli have been rookies for 2 years and Dunnell/Minchington are other considerations for elevation.

Some might say this is a good problem to have – but it’s going to take some very talented list management to keep all the required rookies and fit them onto the senior list. So the first thing to do is make room on the Senior list either via delisting or trading out.

We really do have far too many mid-size outside players on the list and some of them will have to make way to balance the list – Crocker, Polo, Peake, Gram, Clarke, Ray, Winmar, Montagna, Cripps and Webster. Do they keep both Wilkes and Archer with Staley and Lever still developing?

Another under pressure has to be Jones – simply because of his lack of skill level. They seem to be developing Ross as a run with at the moment and Curren is another who could be developed into that role.

Retire, trade or delist:

Peake = retire
Polo = retire/delist
Crocker = delist possibly return as rookie
Winmar = delist possibly return as rookie

Jones = delist or trade?
Clarke = delist or trade?
Wilkes = ? delist
Milne = retire ?
Blake = retire ?
Hayes = retire? (doubtful)

If Brendan Goddard and the club part ways, hopefully it will assist the club in filling its list priorities. Otherwise they will need to trade for or recruit a KP Defender and or Ruckman. If we want to upgrade Archer, Curren, Fergusson and Dunell things will get very tight on the senior list. I suspect that they may have to trade out players of quality if they seriously want to fill the priority list requirements.

Hypothetical trades:

Cripps to WCE for Mitch Brown (195cm KP player).
Gilbert to Gold Coast for Daniel Gorringe (200cm ruckman)
Draft picks to Richmond for David Astbury (195cm KP player)
Archer (r) to Bulldogs for Tom Campbell (rookie 201cm ruckman)

So as you can see the club has some difficult and critical list management decisions to make at seasons ends!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Tue 05 Jun 2012 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Re: SAINTS have some tough decisions at the end of the year!

Delist Jones?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
ThePunter
Club Player

General advice:

Whenever suggesting trades, think about the other club, and whether they would ever entertain the possibility of making that trade.

I would suggest the Cripps for Mitch Brown would not qualify.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

ThePunter wrote:General advice:

Whenever suggesting trades, think about the other club, and whether they would ever entertain the possibility of making that trade.

WORD OF ADVICE PUNTER: If you are going to give advice have some idea what you are stating!

Cripps was a 1st round draft choice who has played a number of games this year - Brown cant maintain a position in there side and has a number of other players in front of him. He is a Victorian boy as Cripps is from WA would suit both players and clubs I would suggest ! An exchange of draft selections with these trades are another manner to ensure the balance between clubs...
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Tue 05 Jun 2012 12:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Brown can't get spot in their side because he is always injured.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

stkildathunda wrote:Brown can't get spot in their side because he is always injured.
AND Cripps isn't ?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:
ThePunter wrote:General advice:

WORD OF ADVICE PUNTER: If you are going to give advice have some idea what you are stating!

Cripps was a 1st round draft choice who has played a number of games this year - Brown cant maintain a position in there side and has a number of other players in front of him. He is a Victorian boy as Cripps is from WA would suit both players and clubs I would suggest ! An exchange of draft selections with these trades are another manner to ensure the balance between clubs...
So a first round draft choice equates to a guy taken pick 32 in a compromised draft whereby 15-20 other players were already selected via the 17 year old rule and Zone selection?

Cripps is about pick 50...but anyway carry on...

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we should trade Peake, Crocker, Winmar and Polo for four first round draft picks.

You read it here first.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bergsone
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:I reckon we should trade Peake, Crocker, Winmar and Polo for four first round draft picks.

You read it here first.
You want to have money on that :?: :)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Jackson Ferguson will likely be promoted to the senior list you'd think. We should try and get Jonathan Griffin from Freo.

ThePunter
Club Player

Cripps does not fill a position of need at West Coast.

Key position payers are ranked more highly than midfielders. They also take longer to develop.

Not everyone wants to "go home". See Ray, Farren.

defacto
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:SAINTS have some tough decisions at the end of the year!

We are heading into the year of the super draft and we obviously have some urgent list requirements to fill - Key Defenders and Ruckman. The other issue for us is IMO we will never take the next step while we continue to play too many unskilled one side footballers.

You would think given the strength of the draft they would want to take at least 4 selections at draft time. If GODDARD happens to leave we would expect another two high draft selections in return.

With the above in mind the SAINTS will need to trim their senior list significantly to fit the draftees or trades onto the list. The added pressure is obviously the performing Rookies – Archer has been on the Rookie list for 3 years (does he deserve a senior spot), Curren, Fergusson and Andreoli have been rookies for 2 years and Dunnell/Minchington are other considerations for elevation.

Some might say this is a good problem to have – but it’s going to take some very talented list management to keep all the required rookies and fit them onto the senior list. So the first thing to do is make room on the Senior list either via delisting or trading out.

We really do have far too many mid-size outside players on the list and some of them will have to make way to balance the list – Crocker, Polo, Peake, Gram, Clarke, Ray, Winmar, Montagna, Cripps and Webster. Do they keep both Wilkes and Archer with Staley and Lever still developing?

Another under pressure has to be Jones – simply because of his lack of skill level. They seem to be developing Ross as a run with at the moment and Curren is another who could be developed into that role.

Retire, trade or delist:

Peake = retire
Polo = retire/delist

Jones = delist or trade?
Wilkes = ? delist
Milne = retire ?
Blake = retire ?

If Brendan Goddard and the club part ways, hopefully it will assist the club in filling its list priorities. Otherwise they will need to trade for or recruit a KP Defender and or Ruckman. If we want to upgrade Archer, Curren, Fergusson and Dunell things will get very tight on the senior list. I suspect that they may have to trade out players of quality if they seriously want to fill the priority list requirements.

Hypothetical trades:

So as you can see the club has some difficult and critical list management decisions to make at seasons ends!
couple of things:
- i believe winmar is contracted until the end of next year. i dont think we have the luxury of paying a player out whos not on the list
- jones is in the same boat as winmar
- wilkes will not be delisted unless we can find a decent replacement whos good to go (i.e. a ready made fwd or back)
- hayes is 75% chance to continue next year imo but i dont believe we can call it now. it will be a week by week thing
- milne is 50% chance but as per hayes its a week by week thing
- blake will retire
- cripps is a needed player. wont be traded. mitch brown is a flog of a human being. he broke a 16/17 yr olds jaw behind play in the wafl earlier this year. most wce supporters state that brown doesnt have what it takes and is trade bait. we'd be stupid to swallow that bait
- theres strong rumors to suggest gilbert has signed a 3 year deal. i like the idea of the trade. the problem is we need gilbert as a tall defender.
- draft picks in a super draft for some player richmond dont even use. god damn!!!!!
- doggies wont take the archer trade. its ridiculous

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:
meher baba wrote:I reckon we should trade Peake, Crocker, Winmar and Polo for four first round draft picks.

You read it here first.
You want to have money on that :?: :)
You should be our new list manager!

I love this club
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

defacto wrote:

Retire, trade or delist:

Peake = retire
Polo = retire/delist

Jones = delist or trade?
Wilkes = ? delist
Milne = retire ?
Blake = retire ?

Hypothetical trades:

couple of things:
- i believe winmar is contracted until the end of next year. i dont think we have the luxury of paying a player out whos not on the list
- wilkes will not be delisted unless we can find a decent replacement whos good to go (i.e. a ready made fwd or back)
- hayes is 75% chance to continue next year imo but i dont believe we can call it now. it will be a week by week thing
- blake will retire
- cripps is a needed player. wont be traded. mitch brown is a flog of a human being. he broke a 16/17 yr olds jaw behind play in the wafl earlier this year. most wce supporters state that brown doesnt have what it takes and is trade bait. we'd be stupid to swallow that bait
- theres strong rumors to suggest gilbert has signed a 3 year deal. i like the idea of the trade. the problem is we need gilbert as a tall defender.
- draft picks in a super draft for some player richmond dont even use. god damn!!!!!
This is WHY I titled it Hypothetical trades...they are just ideas for discussion. As far as Winmar is concerned if he has a contract - I would delist him and re rookie him to free up a position on the senior list. If Jones is still contracted then hopefull that will be his last year!

Surely you can see we need a TALL Defender and a good backup ruckman - you have be prepared to give to receive in this game! Drafting kids is great but we need them now and for next season. All the games we have lost this year is because we have not had a match up for the oppositions key forwards. Simpkin will be a great replacement for Blake but he doesn't have the tool to match these players.

Mitch Brown might be a flog but it doesn't detract from our requirements - go after McInnes, McKenzie or Schofield I dont care we just need to fill that void. This is why I mentioned David Astbury I believe he will be an exceptional defender he just needs the opportunity which he is not getting at Richmond. He has 3 years development and shouldn't cost the world - you wont get a top notch defender whithout having to give away ridiculous trades hence why I have mentioned him we may have to trade to collect extra draft picks.

It's not rocket science if we dont fill the holes on the list we will continue to struggle and be a middle of the rung team! We have the developing mids and forwards covered we simply need to look to off loads some of our surplus to fill our needs - that is the harsh reality of AFL.

As far as the Bulldogs are concerned they need a Full Forward and we need another ruckman (of which they have three ahead of him) - both are rookies HOW is that ridiculous?

defacto
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
defacto wrote:

Retire, trade or delist:

Peake = retire
Polo = retire/delist

Jones = delist or trade?
Wilkes = ? delist
Milne = retire ?
Blake = retire ?

Hypothetical trades:

couple of things:
- blake will retire
This is WHY I titled it Hypothetical trades...they are just ideas for discussion. As far as Winmar is concerned if he has a contract - I would delist him and re rookie him to free up a position on the senior list. If Jones is still contracted then hopefull that will be his last year!

Surely you can see we need a TALL Defender and a good backup ruckman - you have be prepared to give to receive in this game! Drafting kids is great but we need them now and for next season. All the games we have lost this year is because we have not had a match up for the oppositions key forwards. Simpkin will be a great replacement for Blake but he doesn't have the tool to match these players.

Mitch Brown might be a flog but it doesn't detract from our requirements - go after McInnes, McKenzie or Schofield I dont care we just need to fill that void. This is why I mentioned David Astbury I believe he will be an exceptional defender he just needs the opportunity which he is not getting at Richmond. He has 3 years development and shouldn't cost the world - you wont get a top notch defender whithout having to give away ridiculous trades hence why I have mentioned him we may have to trade to collect extra draft picks.

It's not rocket science if we dont fill the holes on the list we will continue to struggle and be a middle of the rung team! We have the developing mids and forwards covered we simply need to look to off loads some of our surplus to fill our needs - that is the harsh reality of AFL.

As far as the Bulldogs are concerned they need a Full Forward and we need another ruckman (of which they have three ahead of him) - both are rookies HOW is that ridiculous?
the suggestion that we should delist winmar to put him on the rookie list and continue to pay his senior salary is ridiculous.

have you seen mitch brown play regularly (i.e. in the wafl)? he's useless.

i get where youre coming from. i just think youve gone about it the wrong way.

will we have some tough decisions to make at the end of the year in regards to delisting and retiring players: yes
should we trade heavily to bring in recycled currently listed afl players in a super draft: no. max 1.
should we make trades like the milera, saad and pick 25 for pick 20: yes. but i would trade out for picks rather than trade in players in return for our picks.

we need to look at youth instead of going down the sydney path.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Love these threads especially with at least 12 games to go. Especially like the possible trade parts. They make me laugh which is good after a hard day at work.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

WinnersOnly wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:Brown can't get spot in their side because he is always injured.
AND Cripps isn't ?
So you want to trade for bloke thats played 42 games since being drafted in 2006 for bloke drafted in 2010 thats played nearly every game this year? Yep makes sense to me :roll:

jays
Club Player

lol

defacto
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
AND Cripps isn't ?
So you want to trade for bloke thats played 42 games since being drafted in 2006 for bloke drafted in 2010 thats played nearly every game this year? Yep makes sense to me :roll:
+1

well summed up. mitch brown is struggling at wafl level football. cripps doesnt look lost out there at afl level against quality opposition. he was superb against wce before the knock.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

defacto:

WINMAR wouldnt get another year if he didn't have a contract - not even a GOP. We did it with McQualter and Eddy (I believe) so why is the idea ridiculous. This year is meant to be one of the strongest draft years ever so the more quality we can select the better. I doubt he would be on huge money hence it would be RIDICULOUS not to as he is just taking up a senior list position!

should we trade heavily to bring in recycled currently listed afl players in a super draft: no. max 1 = We can keep getting smashed down back for another 3 years while we wait for our 2012 drafted key position player/s to develop or pick up an understudy from another club waiting for the opportunity. I'm not saying dont draft the kids we should take as many as possible but we need ready a made/developed player to be picked up to fill the KP defender position in particular.

I havent seen Mitch Brown in the WAFL but he seems to go Ok in the AFL when he plays. I dont care who we trade for but we need a 195 esq key postiion player to hold down full back!

IMO Cripps is another version of Gram and I dont believe he will add anywhere near the value to the team that a good quality Key position defender would! I dont care if its Mitch Brown or Nathan Brown the point is we need a tall defender and we will need to give something up to get a trade done!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:defacto:

WINMAR wouldnt get another year if he didn't have a contract - not even a GOP. We did it with McQualter and Eddy (I believe) so why is the idea ridiculous. This year is meant to be one of the strongest draft years ever so the more quality we can select the better. I doubt he would be on huge money hence it would be RIDICULOUS not to as he is just taking up a senior list position!

should we trade heavily to bring in recycled currently listed afl players in a super draft: no. max 1 = We can keep getting smashed down back for another 3 years while we wait for our 2012 drafted key position player/s to develop or pick up an understudy from another club waiting for the opportunity. I'm not saying dont draft the kids we should take as many as possible but we need ready a made/developed player to be picked up to fill the KP defender position in particular.

I havent seen Mitch Brown in the WAFL but he seems to go Ok in the AFL when he plays. I dont care who we trade for but we need a 195 esq key postiion player to hold down full back!

IMO Cripps is another version of Gram and I dont believe he will add anywhere near the value to the team that a good quality Key position defender would! I dont care if its Mitch Brown or Nathan Brown the point is we need a tall defender and we will need to give something up to get a trade done!

At least you have given Cripps about 14 weeks of actual footy in his nearly 2 years at the club. Can you get any more reactionary with most of your threads?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We will probably have to trade away one or more of our senior players if we want to do well out of this coming draft. Who? You have as much idea as I have. It has to be player/players that would be attractive to another club though.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cripps was pick 24 not 32

And the pre selected players in the draft, still had to be drafted... So it made no difference

Ie. David swallow played in the GC VFL team in 2010 as a 17yo but still had to be used as a selection #1in the 2010 draft at the end of the year....

Cripps was taken at 24.... The draft was compromised because GC had 8 extra picks in the first round .. Resulting in our fist pick not being #16 in a 17 team comp when finishing R/U as it should be, being pushed out to 24.... And compensation picks for other clubs who lost unsigned players to GC like N Bock

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Cripps was pick 24 not 32

And the pre selected players in the draft, still had to be drafted... So it made no difference

Ie. David swallow played in the GC VFL team in 2010 as a 17yo but still had to be used as a selection #1in the 2010 draft at the end of the year....

Cripps was taken at 24.... The draft was compromised because GC had 8 extra picks in the first round .. Resulting in our fist pick not being #16 in a 17 team comp when finishing R/U as it should be, being pushed out to 24.... And compensation picks for other clubs who lost unsigned players to GC like N Bock

That isnt right about the GC or they wouldnt have drafted enough players to field a side. Players were pre selected and didnt have to be drafted. You are right with Swallow and Bennell but they could get players another way. Also wouldnt the players GWS took as 17 year olds effected the Cripps draft?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Love these threads especially with at least 12 games to go. Especially like the possible trade parts. They make me laugh which is good after a hard day at work.
I like these threads regardless of what round it is, you have to be able to look at the present and look at the future,
tough for some obviously but those who can handle it, will and have the discussion....those that can't handle it, won't....they'll whine...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.