Jason Gram's game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jason Gram's game

plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why the hell would anyone with a footy brain think Grammy struggled tonight. Hang your knowledge of footy in shame.
Amazing you're right and every one else is wrong ... :roll:

Ps Hanging my head in footy shame ....lol

Sorry i missed everyone agreeing with you.
I think it may have to do more with his style. He looks like a basketballer at times and that's the way he went about it early...To the amusement of my friends I think he's important to our team but it sometimes looks like he could go a bit harder but I reckon that's his style more than anything.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sat 02 Jun 2012 2:23am, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Middo
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why the hell would anyone with a footy brain think Grammy struggled tonight. Hang your knowledge of footy in shame.
Amazing you're right and every one else is wrong ... :roll:

Ps Hanging my head in footy shame ....lol
Except that SainterK and I have both stuck up for Gram as well :roll:

Stick up all you like as its my opinion along with quite a few others by the look of things..

PS how many votes he got so far other than your's ...?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What people are failing to reaslise, if that Gram strings games together now in the vein of his second half, St Kilda will be the better for it....he is so good when he is on.

Him turning a corner is a good thing...

Isn't it?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I think Grammy laid our most tackles tonight and won three HTB decisions.......
Yes Gram's stats 22 poss 6 marks 6 tackles (equal most tackles) 2 goals. I thought he was ok tonite - could have gone harder at a couple of contests, but he is what he is....

The other player who gets slammed Montagna - 21 poss 2 marks 5 tackles (2nd most tackles)

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Middo
Club Player

SainterK wrote:What people are failing to reaslise, if that Gram strings games together now in the vein of his second half, St Kilda will be the better for it....he is so good when he is on.

Him turning a corner is a good thing...

Isn't it?

Yeah it is but just not sure if he can ....hope he can !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We saw the best and worst of Gram tonight. Was having his usual kind of game until a certain contest for which he must have been absolutely flogged by the coaches. He was running at a Richmond player who was also at top speed, was in prime position to make a big crunching tackle but instead he backed away and avoided all contact. It was probably the worst shirk I have ever seen from and AFL footballer but from that point on he played like a man possessed. I suspect Scott may have got him on the phone and let loose on him after that contest and he responded with the best 30 mins of footy he's played since the '09 grand final. If he could maintain a standard anywhere near that level then he would be an absolute gun. He needs to back it up week after week for some time yet before he convinces me that he deserves his spot though.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:We saw the best and worst of Gram tonight. Was having his usual kind of game until a certain contest for which he must have been absolutely flogged by the coaches. He was running at a Richmond player who was also at top speed, was in prime position to make a big crunching tackle but instead he backed away and avoided all contact. It was probably the worst shirk I have ever seen from and AFL footballer but from that point on he played like a man possessed. I suspect Scott may have got him on the phone and let loose on him after that contest and he responded with the best 30 mins of footy he's played since the '09 grand final. If he could maintain a standard anywhere near that level then he would be an absolute gun. He needs to back it up week after week for some time yet before he convinces me that he deserves his spot though.
I agree. That was the one I saw. Should have nailed him. Didn't have to hurt himself, just grab the guy. Did play well later, which makes it all the more perplexing.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

mad saint guy wrote:We saw the best and worst of Gram tonight. Was having his usual kind of game until a certain contest for which he must have been absolutely flogged by the coaches. He was running at a Richmond player who was also at top speed, was in prime position to make a big crunching tackle but instead he backed away and avoided all contact. It was probably the worst shirk I have ever seen from and AFL footballer but from that point on he played like a man possessed. I suspect Scott may have got him on the phone and let loose on him after that contest and he responded with the best 30 mins of footy he's played since the '09 grand final. If he could maintain a standard anywhere near that level then he would be an absolute gun. He needs to back it up week after week for some time yet before he convinces me that he deserves his spot though.
Spot on. If Gram gave 100% effort 100% of the time he would be up there with Lenny.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Spiro K wrote:Gram needs another spell in the VFL. He missed so many tackles last night, avoided a few body on body clashes and I am always nervous when he is one on one. Yes, he can be swung into the midfield and can break the lines through his run and carry but if Sam Fisher is fit perhaps Gram is the one to go as he lacks the physicality and defensive skills of others in the team.

Thoughts?

Disagree.

You know he's always going to miss tackles and, bar the odd spoil, be pretty much useless defensively....His value to the team is in his offensive capabilities, and I honestly thought last night was the best game he's produced since the '09 GF. If only it wasn't for the clangers (I swore loudly at him), he would've been our BOG, IMO.

It was clearly he more than any other who was the spark that ignited us to come back from 20 points down in the last quarter and kick the next 4 straight. He did some superb acts was looking very dangerous indeed.....

I don't get why some people seem to want him to fail. It's not his fault he's over-payed....

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
ando051
Club Player

I was at the ground and Grams first 3 qtrs were poor. His work off the ball is lazy. Standing on the wing doing star jumps on the spot is not working hard to get the footy. Gram is a confidence player and he is our best 22 but he needs to be harder at the ball. Yes he came to life in the last qtr, but there is a saying "To little to Late".

older saint
SS Life Member

I am a real critic of Gram however so far this year he has been good. Last night i thoink the person above summed it up, took the soft option a couple times with weak efforts, but then nearly turned the game with a last quarter. The last quarter is the reason he frustrates the hell out of everyone as it like the 09 GF shows what he could do , but only rarely does.
Far from the worst though

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

More inaccuracies.....

Best game since 09 GF eh???

What about The 4 times he's received brownlow votes since or his 35 pos 2 goal game in 2010 ???

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I have no real view either way re Gram but I like this joke:

What have 21 St Kilda players and a drug mule have in common?

They both carry a gram

Moods
Saintsational Legend

This thread is living proof that once ppl on a forum band together against a player - nothing will change their minds. I was sitting with a mad tiger supporter tonight. He even said to me half way through the last quarter that Gram was killing them. Ppl will always focus on the negatives of players. He's not the perfect footballer, but he EASILY holds his place in the team with that game last night, and quite probably earnt a few B&F votes for his efforts.

Legendary
Club Player

Gram's first half was poor and he made some mistakes ... but he damn near won the game for us in the last quarter, and was clearly our best player.

He is capable of influencing the result of a match ... not too many blokes can do that ...

Interesting he said after the game that he has been forced to play more defensively this year to cover missing players, but relished the opportunity to run free and push forward in the last quarter and a bit. Certainly when he's at his most dangerous.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Gram did next to nothing for three quarters - no wonder he still had juice in the tank when everyone else had run dry.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
andrewg
Club Player

It was 28 minute mark of the first quarter. Weak as piss. Gram has saved his career with a very good last quarter but he has to play 4 quarters of footy! Come on gram defenders his first three quarters were questionable. Anyway for what we pay him we can't keep him so this argument will be irrelevant for 2013.

andrewg
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Gram's first half was poor and he made some mistakes ... but he damn near won the game for us in the last quarter, and was clearly our best player.

He is capable of influencing the result of a match ... not too many blokes can do that ...

Interesting he said after the game that he has been forced to play more defensively this year to cover missing players, but relished the opportunity to run free and push forward in the last quarter and a bit. Certainly when he's at his most dangerous.
You have to be kidding clearly the best player!!!! Credibility lost right there.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Statistically he was... He dominated the last qtr....

happy feet
Club Player

Sorry Joffa, don't agree. Run and carry would be great, but he does not do that any more. Too much a passenger these days, stands back and watches, soft tackler. His time has come I;m afraid.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Gee for a bloke who did nothing - he was our third or 4th highest possession winner from the backline. Must have been STACKS of blokes who did nothing. 22 possessions, 2 goals, I will take every day of the week. Those ppl slamming him had their mind made up about him before he even ran out. The possession count for everyone in our team last night was low. Put his game into context and it was a very good game.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he needs to get more than 22

Kick three goals

Have more than 6 tackles

To even be considered a good game...... I still don't think he would get rated

Statistically, not much difference with his game this week and Jack Steven last week... We had Jack as an AA last week

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I feel in shame for not agreeing with you oh holy player advocate/apologist....

Gran (Im going with the new tag) was ordinary for much of last night and as a defender I look forward to the day he attacks a contest to spoil the football and actually makes contact with his opponent and/or the ball...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Statistically he was... He dominated the last qtr....
This post is everything thats wrong with watching footy purely from a statistical point of view.

Gran was a liability for much of the game and played a good but late cameo.

Just once - one out, ball coming in Id like to see his fist actually make contact with ball for a spoil......just once....instead the "very hard effort" is followed by a flailing of arns as opponent wins the footy.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Your mind is made up, no matter what.

I guarantee you did not know he laid six tackles until it was pointed out to you

Last qtr
8 possesions
3 contested possessions
1 spoil
2 tackles
2 goals

As I said, that's a dominant qtr