Woeful Brian Taylor commentary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Woeful Brian Taylor commentary

Settling in to watch the match again, I was treated to the worst football commentary I have ever heard, and that includes Malcolm Blight, who called the game for Seven in the 90s. Not only did Taylor constantly get the players wrong, he spent whole periods of play discussing inanities with his "team", who other that Cameron Ling, provided nothing to the telecast. And since Brian Taylor is the sole "commentator" there is no respite. Alas, on a replay, there is no alternative than to turn off the sound completely.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Woeful Brian Taylor commentary

plenty agreeing here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75753

oh when the
Club Player

thinks his bigger than the game,

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"But he knows I'm from Lorne"

westy
Club Player

The bloke is an absolute clown of the first order. Ever since Rex Hunt retired, he and 'Crackers' Keenan seem to think that we are all desperate for a comedian/commentator. Sham are both inept at anything approaching humour. Should I include Cometti in with them, although at times he is actually entertaining.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
markp
Saintsational Legend

Topped off when with 90 seconds to go and a 4 goal deficit he was still talking of a scum comeback.

Baghdad Bob wouldn't have been so brazenly disingenuous.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Taylor is a jackass of the highest order and when he is paired with Luke "I hate St Kilda" Darcy it was almost brick through the TV bad. If Richo is the voice of reason there is a serious problem.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind BT to be honest, he adds a bit of comedy relief to the telecast. I quite liked the joke the commentators were making when Milera ran into an open goal with rooey riding shotgun. On the whole I cannot stand Darcy although I like Richo and Lingy, who seems to have mutual respect for a lot of the St Kilda boys.

PaytonPlace
Club Player

As I said in the other thread, bring back Peter Landy...

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Ian Robertson and Spucy were good together IMO.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Ling was one moment stating that carlton were tearing us apart with their run, and the next we're running into an open fifty and into an open goal.
I think they fell into the trap of expecting carlton to win, and expecting them to run over us. It was undermining.
And, the annoying thing is the game doesn't need the dramatics of Taylor, it's exciting enough without his fat head getting on overload.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Ian Robertson and Spucy were good together IMO.
I thought Ian Robertson was a very good commentator. He fell out of favour at 7 because the AFL didn't like him - he criticised rule changes and umpires when they made a mistake.

Legendary
Club Player

Brian Taylor was a brilliant caller on TripleM, and had an excellent chemistry with the Triple M boys.
He was also a decent caller on Foxtel last year.

Unfortunately he is absolutely awful on Channel 7.

I don't know what sort of persona he is trying to adopt, or why he persists with some of the most inane and senseless discussion I have ever heard, but he has ruined football on Channel 7.

Commetti is a great caller when he concentrates on solely that - calling the action. McAvaney is a professional, and whilst I believe he is a far better non-football caller (he is great at the swimming and athletics in particular), he still does an acceptable job.

Brian Taylor needs to return to radio on MMM, as his calling style is far more suited to that medium.

The best caller of football on television I have ever heard was Clinton Grybas. What a tragedy. Anthony Hudson is an excellent television commentator, and so is Eddie McGuire (provided the Pies aren't playing).

Channel 7 have made a huge mistake with Taylor.

Watching replays of the Carlton and St Kilda match, the entire lack of excitement, feel for the game, ability to properly analyse the play and utter lack of chemistry with the other callers was disastrous.

Fair dinkum, when Milne roved Stanley's ruck work, and snapped around his body for his 4th goal, it was arguably the most exciting play of the match, with Milne's celebration something to behold. Taylor was like a 70-year old trying to get out of bed in the morning .... it took him about 30 seconds too long to generate any enthusiasm in his voice, or excitement for the moment. By the time he got fired up, he had missed his chance.

There's a match between St Kilda and the Kangaroos in 2003, when Fraser Gehrig kicked the winning goal with a minute or so left on the clock.

Eddie McGuire commentated that match for Channel 9, and right through the entire last quarter, he was absolutely on fire. His passion for both sides (despite both being in the bottom 8), his excitement at the contest and the way he described the play was sensational.

Good television commentary should add to the visual spectacle of the match and excite the viewer.

Brian Taylor's commentary does none of that for me. It was terrible.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SAN KILDA

Grrrr....

PaytonPlace
Club Player

I've spent a fair chunk of this weekend listening to some of the best commentary from around the world centred around the two Manchesters fighting for the EPL title - in particular Martin Tylers simple but effective "AGUERRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I swear you'll never see anything like this ever again! So watch it...drink it in!"

Then I have to listen to a man telling me with 2:15 to go Carlton can still win while sounding like he's just got out of bed

Just not good enough really

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

PaytonPlace wrote:I've spent a fair chunk of this weekend listening to some of the best commentary from around the world centred around the two Manchesters fighting for the EPL title - in particular Martin Tylers simple but effective "AGUERRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I swear you'll never see anything like this ever again! So watch it...drink it in!"

Then I have to listen to a man telling me with 2:15 to go Carlton can still win while sounding like he's just got out of bed

that machesters game was faboulous and the commentary i
added to the coverage, I have just watched the replay of our faboulous win and the one thing that distracts from it is Big Turds commentating and blatant scum suporting call. He is really annoying.

I love this club
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Brian Taylor was a brilliant caller on TripleM, and had an excellent chemistry with the Triple M boys.
He was also a decent caller on Foxtel last year.

Unfortunately he is absolutely awful on Channel 7.

I don't know what sort of persona he is trying to adopt, or why he persists with some of the most inane and senseless discussion I have ever heard, but he has ruined football on Channel 7.

Commetti is a great caller when he concentrates on solely that - calling the action. McAvaney is a professional, and whilst I believe he is a far better non-football caller (he is great at the swimming and athletics in particular), he still does an acceptable job.

Brian Taylor needs to return to radio on MMM, as his calling style is far more suited to that medium.

The best caller of football on television I have ever heard was Clinton Grybas. What a tragedy. Anthony Hudson is an excellent television commentator, and so is Eddie McGuire (provided the Pies aren't playing).

Channel 7 have made a huge mistake with Taylor.

Watching replays of the Carlton and St Kilda match, the entire lack of excitement, feel for the game, ability to properly analyse the play and utter lack of chemistry with the other callers was disastrous.

Fair dinkum, when Milne roved Stanley's ruck work, and snapped around his body for his 4th goal, it was arguably the most exciting play of the match, with Milne's celebration something to behold. Taylor was like a 70-year old trying to get out of bed in the morning .... it took him about 30 seconds too long to generate any enthusiasm in his voice, or excitement for the moment. By the time he got fired up, he had missed his chance.

There's a match between St Kilda and the Kangaroos in 2003, when Fraser Gehrig kicked the winning goal with a minute or so left on the clock.

Eddie McGuire commentated that match for Channel 9, and right through the entire last quarter, he was absolutely on fire. His passion for both sides (despite both being in the bottom 8), his excitement at the contest and the way he described the play was sensational.

Good television commentary should add to the visual spectacle of the match and excite the viewer.

Brian Taylor's commentary does none of that for me. It was terrible.
A persuasive analysis, in fact, I reckon the powers at be at 7 would probably appreciate it. It could prompt Mr Taylor to rethink his approach. Dunno how you might get it to them though.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
PaytonPlace wrote:I've spent a fair chunk of this weekend listening to some of the best commentary from around the world centred around the two Manchesters fighting for the EPL title - in particular Martin Tylers simple but effective "AGUERRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I swear you'll never see anything like this ever again! So watch it...drink it in!"

that machesters game was faboulous and the commentary i
added to the coverage, I have just watched the replay of our faboulous win and the one thing that distracts from it is Big Turds commentating and blatant scum suporting call. He is really annoying.
Best sporting event I've ever witnessed. By far. If you didn't watch it, or don't follow the EPL, it's hard to explain how exciting it was. Being a 35 year MCFC fan helps. The changing emotions of the crowd at both games was something I don't thing anyone will ever witness again. If you stayed up to wach it, like I did, I congtatulate you. Something to tell the grandkids about, if I last that long.

I now have some understading of what a Saints premiership may feel like. It's taken a while to see MCFC & New Orleans finally win. Saints surely can't be too far away. :)

By the way BT is entertaining. 500% better than Bruce.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE, I REPEAT HATE, his commentary. He obviously hates us. And the feeling is mutual

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:I ABSOLUTELY HATE, I REPEAT HATE, his commentary. He obviously hates us. And the feeling is mutual

Are we the most hated club in the AFL?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No, that would be collingwood.

We are not respected, different

matrix
Saintsational Legend

darcy hates us

complete flogg 8-)

clarky449