What's up with Sam GILBERT?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's up with Sam GILBERT?

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:I'm sure the coach gives a rats, and of course Sam himself... Why would a defender come in for a forward cum midfielder???

Sam was noticeably our worst player tonight, Sam would be a straight swap for him.

Simpkin is going to hold Gwilt out on current form

You really have no idea. None at all.But it is funny and sad for for you. Maybe you should get a game for once instead of making bulls*** excuses. Moron.
You are ugly...sorry - Imean your comments are ugly :twisted:

Anyhow, back to the footy discussion...No one in the team was flawless...except maybe Lenny :)

Gilbo knows what he has to do to improve. He'll be watching the review along side his team mates and maybe there'll be some questions asked...maybe a kick in the backside from the coaches as well. It was a great team effort tonight and we still need Gilbo in there for structure and his speed and dash and defensive efforts. I don't think Gilbo is ever going to be be silky smooth with his disposal but we can't afford not to have him out there next week.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Could he be the one out for Gwilt at this stage?

Has prob 2 weeks to stake a claim on his spot I reckon.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert has been average for a long time... has needed a stint in the 2s since rd3 last season

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Have been a huge fan of Gilbo's for a long, long time, but I think it is almost time. In fact sitting there tonight at the game, I was dead certain it is.

I wouldn't have thought in a million years that I'd ever be calling for Raph Clarke to come into our side to replace Sam, especially after Raph has played only the one game for the year, but right now, after Raph apparently had a ripper yesterday, I wouldn't be against it.

Sam is just almost completely out of confidence at the moment and it is evident in almost every occasion he is anywhere near the ball, or in a one on one contest and is is becoming very COSTLY for us as a side.

Tonight for example, we were all over them early in the match (33 disposals to 7, early in the first) and they didn't look like getting the ball, let alone kicking a goal and what happens? Sam does one of the worst kicks you'll ever see, under virtually no pressure and with two loose targets within 40m of him, the ball flies out on the full and Waite then drills the goal. Then, a couple of minutes later, he stuffs up again and they kick another goal. At that point it was about 33 possies to 11, but they had kicked two goals as a direct result of Sam's horrible stuff up's.

I think their next goal came immediately after Roo missed that shot from 5m out, but then Gilbo put in a terrible effort in a marking contest I think it was and bang, they got another goal.

So in a must win game when we could so easily have been up about 5 goals to none, Carlton had kicked 4, with 3 being virtually handed to them on a plate as a result of Sam being so out of form and low on confidence. And that was just the first 20 mins.

That is too costly. He's been out of form for too long now and he knows he's out of form and his body language is terrible.

With Fisher, Gwilt and Raph due back in the next couple of weeks possibly, Gilbo has to be fair and square in the gun to go out for one of them and not come back till he finds his form and confidence again.

It's one thing to be out of form but not costing your team all that much, but it's another thing altogether when you're so out of form that you're genuinely costing your team goals on a weekly basis, as a direct result of your stuff ups (and I'm not just talking bad kicks here, but also losing marking contests that he would have dominated two years ago and dropping marks that he used to swallow).

Probably the only thing keeping him out there at the moment is his speed and tackling. They were the only things he did out there that looked valuable from where we sat tonight. He might have only conceeded 2 goals to Walker, but he probably conceded 5 or 6 to Carlton as a team.

If he is to stay in the side I think the only role for him at the moment is one where he can use that speed to advantage and run with someone. Other than that, he and we would be better off if he went back to Sandy and found his form and confidence.

Then maybe we'll get the Sam Gilbert of old back, who was so much better than the current version it isn't funny.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 15 May 2012 2:58am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
battye
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he's been as terrible as the posts would suggest, but certainly he's not in the same form as he was a few years back.

I wonder if he'd be a good option as sub? Especially when Gwilt returns. Maybe half a game for Gwilt, half a game for Gilbert?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Were you at the game tonight, or last week, or every week (at least in Melb) for the last few years? His mistakes and terrible performances in marking contests and so on are costing us in a big way now and he's barely a shadow of the Sam Gilbert that came 3rd in our B&F in a grand final year (2010).

The Gilbert of then and the Gilbert of now are so far removed from each other it's extraordinary and very sad to see.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:What's up with Sam GILBERT? It's like someone has stole any confidence he once had. His kicking and decison making is atrocious - perhaps like RAY he needs to go back to Sandringham and re discover the hunger and form.

WIll FISHER be available next week if so bring in FISHER for GILBERT as the only changes.
have u been in a big bear cave?
gilbo has been in a funk for 18 months. since the whole silly u schoolgirl saga.
i actually didnt think he was that bad.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Trust me, he was, especially early and I hate to say it as he was one of my favs and I loved watching him play. Just a shadow of his former self.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Sadly you are right. No confidence and could be due a spell in the twos. Is a far better player than he is showing
10 possessions (i think) and two big clangers. Once Fisher comes back he needs to go back to the VFL. Hope Scotty has the balls to do it!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Siposstar#2 wrote:I'm sorry plugger Gilbert was awful tonight when he had possession played well as a defender though!

You dont have to be sorry. I actually said Gilbo was shocking tonight but a poster had a go at the change I suggested.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Probably our weakest link last night, and was lucky Walker missed a couple of shots at goal that he normally slots. I reckon it would be Fisher for Gilbert at the selection table if form is any indicator.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The big Suby ground may give him the opportunity to use his run and carry next week. Lack of confidence and poor skills unfortunately, go hand in hand. Not ready for him to be dropped yet.

older saint
SS Life Member

GIlbert did a good job on Walker however hiss poor disposal is no new thing it has been shocking for a couple years now. Need him at the large Subi ground though. Game plan must involve him no longer spotting players up - handball at all costs. Cost us 2 goals in first quarter and luckily a missed 3rd .

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Sadly you are right. No confidence and could be due a spell in the twos. Is a far better player than he is showing
10 possessions (i think) and two big clangers. Once Fisher comes back he needs to go back to the VFL. Hope Scotty has the balls to do it!!
It was more than two big clangers (the paper have him down for 3, but even that might have been a bit generous and doesn't count the marking contests that he made a meal of) and his 10 possies was on top of last week or the week before, when he had two to 3/4 time of that game.

Two years ago he was getting so much of the ball and taking so many marks that the other sides were TAGGING HIM, which is rare for someone playing down back, but now his only real value is tagging someone else. We already have Dempster and Jones for that, so time will tell if we have room for three of them doing it, with two of them having generally horrible disposal.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:Agree BigMart, Gram really pulled his weight tonight. Great game, kicked well... no cracks under pressure committed to the contest! can't naysay his performance tonight.

i thought he went okay tonight......on the improve....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

He's just not that good.

Sam has some good physical attributes, can tackle well, and in terms of playing a defensive role is ok.

He is just a terrible user of the ball. Non existant right foot, and EVERYONE knows it. He got away with his shimmy two step in that breakout year, but now opposition know he can't kick on his right, and his left is suspect under pressure.

He needs to go down to the VFL, get some confidence up in his kicking. Not every player is perfect, but it's weaknesses like these, particularly in defence that cost you goals and consequently games.

Carpe Diem
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

ever since that KD crap he's never been the same... wonder if it's still a underlying issue between him and roo. sad as he really came out in 09.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Unforgiven wrote:He's just not that good.

Sam has some good physical attributes, can tackle well, and in terms of playing a defensive role is ok.

He is just a terrible user of the ball. Non existant right foot, and EVERYONE knows it. He got away with his shimmy two step in that breakout year, but now opposition know he can't kick on his right, and his left is suspect under pressure.

He needs to go down to the VFL, get some confidence up in his kicking. Not every player is perfect, but it's weaknesses like these, particularly in defence that cost you goals and consequently games.
In 2009, he was also taking saving contested marks. But that confidence has gone as well. He was terrible last night, not winning one contested ball, although he did draw a couple.

Bushman
Club Player

Gilbert was the only downside in an otherwise magnificent night. He's gotta go to Sandy find some form, he seems rattled when the balls in his hands and the lack of composure affects his kicking and decision making. He can still be a good player but unless something is done he'll be gone at year end.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

His intercept marking and tackling is almost non existent..

He was/is a brilliant tackler... Just doesn't get near laying one at the moment...

confidence shot..

70s sainter
Club Player

I'd replace him with either fisher, gwilt or raph if any are fit enough. I'd swap saad for sipposs for the sub on the big ground . I would leave Wilkes in the team for the Perth factor.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If Scotty wants to keep him in, I'm happy.

If Scotty wants to replace him, I'm happy.

Then again, after last night, I'm just happy :D

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hi P66

Nice abuse..... Is that what you've resorted to now. I like it!

I know when I got a sooky la la reaction when sledging in cricket, the challenge was over. Continue, it's funny!

BTW, I'll make my own decision on whether to go to a game of footy. Definitely not at the request of some crack pot supporter. I think my support and loyalty to my young family is a touch more important than the club I follow, it's called perspective and priorities. Why should my wife have to deal with two kids under 6 at night, so I can enjoy myself.

Hey, Brad Scott didn't want to speak to the Kangas on Sunday, he wanted to review the tape first.....to get a better understanding of the game, his words....
Why is that, surely he was there, with the best seat in the house.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why should my wife have to deal with two kids under 6 at night, so I can enjoy myself.
You really should organise a break for yourself mate, and so should your wife…

Take it in turns for a night off occasionally, will do you both good.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
BigMart wrote:Why should my wife have to deal with two kids under 6 at night, so I can enjoy myself.
You really should organise a break for yourself mate, and so should your wife…

Take it in turns for a night off occasionally, will do you both good.