Where is Nick Riewoldt?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where is Nick Riewoldt?

dragit wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Doesnt clunk the marks as he used to anymore. Which is a shame, because he was a great mark.
You still haven't got around to teaching him how to kick for goal like you promised…
Im a busy man these days. But i have a very good technique. I have helped many mates and junior players kick goals.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I just love how many people have egg on their faces after declaring Rooey gone after round 1 and not just on this forum on other sites and on the radio.

Well only a fool would ride off a champion of our mighty football club !!! I can understand other supporters but it shouldn't be our own!
Go SAINTS !!!!!

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Read this now and maybe we realise people can go off a fraction early.

The_Carpet_Snake
Club Player

He's 3rd in the Coleman, that's where he is!

Love you Lenny
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Read this now and maybe we realise people can go off a fraction early.
He's certainly benefiting from having an actual forward line around him and not having to contend with the triple-team every time.

But, let's face it, the Suns were disgusting. You and I would have kicked a few. If he kicks seven against Adelaide this week I'll be more impressed.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's not the player he was..... For various reasons.

Injury, Structures, Support, Delivery

This is indicated by his stats, which are 10-20% down in all areas..... And he has not really dominated a game since 2010.........Having said that, he was the premier fwd in the AFL for 6 years..... So he could afford to drop off and still be a valuable contributor......

I wouldn't pin my argument on this game..... We absolutely monstered a pathetic rabble, you would expect a fwd to boot at least half a dozen..... BUDDY might have kicked 20

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's not the player he was..... For various reasons.

Injury, Structures, Support, Delivery

This is indicated by his stats, which are 10-20% down in all areas..... And he has not really dominated a game since 2010.........Having said that, he was the premier fwd in the AFL for 6 years..... So he could afford to drop off and still be a valuable contributor......

I wouldn't pin my argument on this game..... We absolutely monstered a pathetic rabble, you would expect a fwd to boot at least half a dozen..... BUDDY might have kicked 20

Not pinning it on that game at all. Matter of fact have said twice that game shouldnt count when looking at form. Pinning it on the whole year and how people shouldnt write off a champion after one game. Some of the stuff written was ridiculous considering we had 21 games at least to go.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

P66

I am a staunch supporter of Nick as you know, and will defend him no matter what. Harves aside he is the player I admire most. He is the best leader I have seen at StK and it's hard to believ, but I think he is underrated in the AFL community. The 3rd best player of the last decade IMO. Best Fwd.

That being said, he does not move with the same fluidity that he did. The Super rules comment you love to trot out was a throw away line, with tongue firmly planted in cheek. As if a player of his standing will play anything but elite level. What I was referring to was his gingerness when getting up after marking contests, his obvious knee pain and his inability to bend.... One only has to witness ice packs bandaged to him after games to know he's sore, he even said this year he doesn't move as well as he did....

He has played the hardes position on the ground for ten years, few make it that long, fewer make 300... Loewey was a physical freak. Nicks body is damaged.

He can still play and indeed contribute.... Is no longer our best player by a margin, which he was. Was he ever written off??
Or his lofty standards which he once held questioned??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:P66

I am a staunch supporter of Nick as you know, and will defend him no matter what. Harves aside he is the player I admire most. He is the best leader I have seen at StK and it's hard to believ, but I think he is underrated in the AFL community. The 3rd best player of the last decade IMO. Best Fwd.

That being said, he does not move with the same fluidity that he did. The Super rules comment you love to trot out was a throw away line, with tongue firmly planted in cheek. As if a player of his standing will play anything but elite level. What I was referring to was his gingerness when getting up after marking contests, his obvious knee pain and his inability to bend.... One only has to witness ice packs bandaged to him after games to know he's sore, he even said this year he doesn't move as well as he did....

He has played the hardes position on the ground for ten years, few make it that long, fewer make 300... Loewey was a physical freak. Nicks body is damaged.

He can still play and indeed contribute.... Is no longer our best player by a margin, which he was. Was he ever written off??

Sorry but the point of bringing up the thread wasnt about you. It was just pointing how silly some comments on that thread were when we had played one game in a 22 game especially when we talk about a true champion of the club. maybe some should hold their fire when commenting on champions. Also i still say it is nearly impossible to see how a player moves on TV. They mainly have close up shots and so it is very hard to see the leads and releads that Rooey does.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Whether he's running a lot (effort) or running well (unhindered) are two different things.... He makes multiple figure 8 leads, because that's what he does..... But he is less agile than before, by some margin....

His 500th was a classic example, below his knees is a weakness now, watch YouTube and watch him at ground level in his prime

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

At home watching the footy

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Whether he's running a lot (effort) or running well (unhindered) are two different things.... He makes multiple figure 8 leads, because that's what he does..... But he is less agile than before, by some margin....

His 500th was a classic example, below his knees is a weakness now, watch YouTube and watch him at ground level in his prime
Fine he's less agile.

He's still probably our best player.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:At home watching the footy
And hoping that Adelaide don't play two on him on Friday night like every other club has done for years - except last Saturday.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The wonder of Television.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Personally I like Gilbert on the wing like he did at times v Suns, Nick roaming around CHF where he should be, Kosi deep and the smalls buzzing around.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Great Bump. Bet a few people regret their comments in this thread - one poster in particular (not BMart)

Not just v G Coast, much of the season according to the coach - just maybe he knows more than some 'supporters'
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 14 May 2013 4:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I would hope the coach who is paid a lot of money knows more than the supporters..... If not, we are in trouble

Nick has had a good year. Has not been dominant though.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I would hope the coach who is paid a lot of money knows more than the supporters..... If not, we are in trouble

Nick has had a good year. Has not been dominant though.
Good calls.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
PJ
SS Life Member

He doesn't need to dominate if the rest are doing their job. I thought it was a good balance with Stanley, Roo and Kosi - 1 going through the ruck.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Great Bump. Bet a few people regret their comments in this thread - one poster in particular :oops: (not BMart)

Not just v G Coast, much of the season according to the coach - just maybe he knows more than some 'supporters'
Why should posters on a 'fan forum' ever be embarrassed about having an opinion? I applaud those on this site for having the goolies to put their views out there to at least encourage discussion...as opposed to the annual 'fence sitters' who offer little but platitudes when we are winning and belting up Gold Coast kids...lucky we didnt play Auskickers this week....you might not have been able to contain yourself...

Riewoldts been good this year - elite as in Buddy elite?....no, but getting his 2-3 and playing his role. Is he the elite CHF of the comp anymore?? no IMO.

Does he look slower and less nimble? sure does , but hes not 26 now...and yep, he'll decline further with time ..no shame in that. He's improved his performances with the team and at the time this thread was posted...he needed to. Lets remember we've lost to Port, Richmond and Freo ALL outside the 8...yet some on here have us beating the Pies on current form...I mean...we belted Gold Coast right so it stands to reason???

Id also credit Nick looking reasonable this year with the rise of Kosi and the likes of Saad/Milera being genuine options.

Lets hope it continues - if it doesnt there'll be no need to bump this thread...

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Nick has had a good year. Has not been dominant though.
I would argue that is by design in some part...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:P66

Correct Marto - where does the OP say its the end of Nick Riewoldt?? where does the OP say he should be retired????.......lets talk overraeaction.....cause Nick had a good game against GC....ferk me... :roll:

Only a complete flog (Tugger qualifies...but that goes without saying on this site..)would argue and have us all believe that Riewoldt is moving like he was when he was in his prime....I mean Tugs apparently the only one who watches the team live.. :shock:

Riewoldts been good this year - world beater good? No.
We are 6-5 and have been beaten comfortably by top sides and dropped games to Port (?) , Freo at home and Tigers.

Maybe some should hold their fire till seasons end.....or better yet.....just hold on till we play GC again and they can bump this thread again to demonstrate said football kowledge to us all.... :idea:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
BigMart wrote:Nick has had a good year. Has not been dominant though.
I would argue that is by design in some part...
id agree.

Watters clearly knew Riewoldt needed help and he isnt gettin younger.

The quicker ball movement, the genuine improvement in Kosi and Saad/Milera et al....has all been about making us less Roo-conscious and that was soreley needed.

“Yeah….nah””
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Great Bump. Bet a few people regret their comments in this thread - one poster in particular :oops: (not BMart)

Why should posters on a 'fan forum' ever be embarrassed about having an opinion? I applaud those on this site for having the goolies to put their views out there to at least encourage discussion...as opposed to the annual 'fence sitters' who offer little but platitudes when we are winning and belting up Gold Coast kids...lucky we didnt play Auskickers this week....you might not have been able to contain yourself...

Riewoldts been good this year - elite as in Buddy elite?....no, but getting his 2-3 and playing his role. Is he the elite CHF of the comp anymore?? no IMO.

Does he look slower and less nimble? sure does , but hes not 26 now...and yep, he'll decline further with time ..no shame in that. He's improved his performances with the team and at the time this thread was posted...he needed to. Lets remember we've lost to Port, Richmond and Freo ALL outside the 8...yet some on here have us beating the Pies on current form...I mean...we belted Gold Coast right so it stands to reason???

Id also credit Nick looking reasonable this year with the rise of Kosi and the likes of Saad/Milera being genuine options.

Lets hope it continues - if it doesnt there'll be no need to bump this thread...
Why are the people standing up for Riewoldt and his 2012 form, in this thread 'fencesitters' - how do you know they have not slammed the footy club/players in other discussions - have a read of some of the stuff written about NR in this thread - esp from those who've had it in for him for 2 years. IMO some of it didn't take much courage to post.....

Repeat - it was the coach who stated Riewoldt's consistent 2012 form was not just v G Coast, but much of the season, just maybe Watters knows more than some supporters. Not the coach nor any supporters here said he was a 'world beater'.

I can contain myself, yes it was G Coast - still if NR or others have a poor game next week, someone can start a thread slamming them and/or writing them off - then if they perform the following week, they will be ok.......

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He has been consistently reasonable or better....