Freo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Freo

Is your enthusiasm for Ross prejudiced. Why do you always jump to his defense?

Terry Wallace got a second chance and failed. Rodney Eade got a second chance and failed. Gary Ayres got a second chance and failed...all of them failed to win a flag and all of them will go into the history book as good coaches...but not great... quite a few other names belong on that list and you can bet that Rossco will be joining them
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 20 Feb 2012 11:23pm, edited 2 times in total.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Ill stop going about Ross when all the Footy Nimbats stop being so bias and realise we lost a brilliant coach and that Scott may not be as good. Stop thinking whoever/whatever is at the club is Gods Gift to the world.

farking Nimbat ....I think Scott might be as good if not better but in time we will see.
I hope you are right, i honestly do. But i have my doubts.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Middo
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:
Middo wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Ill stop going about Ross when all the Footy Nimbats stop being so bias and realise we lost a brilliant coach and that Scott may not be as good. Stop thinking whoever/whatever is at the club is Gods Gift to the world.

farking Nimbat ....I think Scott might be as good if not better but in time we will see.
I hope you are right, i honestly do. But i have my doubts.

Your doubts are countered by my optimisim ...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Absolute Footy Nimbat. Honestly.

Round 1 of NAB Cup. Ross Lyon will have that team performing great. Watch out for Freo.

Freo are very lucky to have him.
not for another 6 months he wont.

he's got some problems to fix. they dont really have a clearance midfielder. they dont really have an effective 2nd ruckman. playing johnson on the wing or of half back as the "quarter back" just isnt working.

if theyre going to play ballantyne in the midfield whos going to be their goal sneak?

No second ruckman?

They have Sandilands, Griffin, Zac Clarke... Through in Bradley and Johnson. Their rucks are strong.

PLUGGER14
Club Player

sasaint wrote:
tony74 wrote:
PLUGGER14 wrote:Anyone notice their runner?
Obviously took him with him.
I couldn't believe it. I thought I was seeing things.
Considering many here were defending him as being a "long time" saint stalwart when he was giving those free kicks away I thought it may have created more of a stir?

skfc17
Club Player

PLUGGER14 wrote:
Anyone notice their runner?

i was at the game and couldnt believe it either. i think he was dressed in bright orange on purpose. cant wait to see how many 50's he gives away. watching the game i think Dawsons going to find it very difficult with out Gwilt, Fisher or Gilbert. he had more handballs then kicks. the most influential thing he did was clean up a blind sighted Jack Darling

Carn the mighty Sainters
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Shocking post skfc17, Zac had eyes for nothing but the ball.

Fremantle will be a VERY good team over the next three years, I'm expecting them to make a GF in that time.

Pav, Sandilands, Mundy, Fyfe, Ballantyne, Mayne, Clarke, Barlow, Hill, Morabito etc. are the core of a potentially great team, they remind me a lot of St Kilda in 2003-2004.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
defacto wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Absolute Footy Nimbat. Honestly.

Round 1 of NAB Cup. Ross Lyon will have that team performing great. Watch out for Freo.

Freo are very lucky to have him.
not for another 6 months he wont.

he's got some problems to fix. they dont really have a clearance midfielder. they dont really have an effective 2nd ruckman. playing johnson on the wing or of half back as the "quarter back" just isnt working.

if theyre going to play ballantyne in the midfield whos going to be their goal sneak?

No second ruckman?
They have Sandilands, Griffin, Zac Clarke... Throw in Bradley and Johnson. Their rucks are strong.
Not to mention 'no clearance midfielders?' - Barlow, Fyfe, Mzungu and Lower can all rotate as mids, and all are inside types IMO :shock:
and recruit Lachie Neale looks like he can play a smaller running forward role.....
Thread should be in the Opposition Forum.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Shocking post skfc17, Zac had eyes for nothing but the ball.

Fremantle will be a VERY good team over the next three years, I'm expecting them to make a GF in that time.

Pav, Sandilands, Mundy, Fyfe, Ballantyne, Mayne, Clarke, Barlow, Hill, Morabito etc. are the core of a potentially great team, they remind me a lot of St Kilda in 2003-2004.
no offence Armooo but freo have been touting that line ever since 95 the team are a bunch of tallented players but they are not hard enough workers Pav plays for Pav alone Mundy is injury prone Ballantyne is easily distracted Clarke is behind Sandi and griffin and knowing Ross and his love of giving young kids chances prob Kepler too .. Barlow is half the player he was per broken leg ... Hill is soft and really struggles with a tag Morabito has the makings of a gun player but is also known for being lazy ... ross has a hard task turning this mob into a well oiled machine i reckon a g/f is not going to happen in the Pav and Sandi era

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Shocking post skfc17, Zac had eyes for nothing but the ball.

no offence Armooo but freo have been touting that line ever since 95 the team are a bunch of tallented players but they are not hard enough workers Pav plays for Pav alone Mundy is injury prone Ballantyne is easily distracted Clarke is behind Sandi and griffin and knowing Ross and his love of giving young kids chances prob Kepler too .. Barlow is half the player he was per broken leg ... Hill is soft and really struggles with a tag Morabito has the makings of a gun player but is also known for being lazy ... ross has a hard task turning this mob into a well oiled machine i reckon a g/f is not going to happen in the Pav and Sandi era
When have Fremantle ever had a decent coach? Mark Harvey is an absolute joke, surprised he even managed to get an assistant coaching role, but then again, I'm surprised Crazy Vossy didn't give up a 1st rounder and get him back as a player.

Pavlich has always been a selfish player, but he is still a star, he probably has the same external perceptions as Riewoldt has.

Mundy is far from injury prone, sure he missed half of 2011 but I don't think he missed a game for like 6 straight seasons before that.

Ballantyne has shown he has talent to burn, but he has some questions over his mentality and size, some people think he is potentially all-Australian material and others think he isn't a best 22 player... sounds a lot like Stephen Milne.

Clarke is more likely to be developed as a key forward and RL has basically come out and declared his man crush on him.

Barlow hasn't even had a full season since breaking his leg, it's way too early to make calls about him getting back to his best.

Stephen Hill is only like 20-21 years old, players his age don't usually cop tags and he will develop, he also has the good fortunes of being surrounded by enough quality players that he isn't likely to have to cop the tag every week anymore. Also keep in mind Dal Santo was soft and couldn't break a tag up until 2009 according to some, same goes for Dale Thomas.

As for Morabito being lazy I've heard the opposite, I've heard he's been dying to get back on the field, doing everything he can.

I just hope for their sake that RL makes some hard calls on guys like McPhee, Michael Johnson and Antoni Grover... these are the sorts of decisions he didn't make at St Kilda.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Armoo Pav and Nick are polar opersites Pav would rather the team be beaten and play a great game himself then win and have a poor game .. Nick puts the team first Pav puts Pav first ...

Mundy had a great run without injury but the last 2 seasons he can barely get through training without getting an injury and the word I here is his recovery time is always going longer than expected

Ballantyne has already got Ross off side hence why the statements of turning him into a Tagger hayden wants to be Stevie Milne ,Ross wants him to be Clinton Jones

Barlows injury was horrific and like Nathan Browns it has robbed Barlow of the confidence he once had .. He is still a good player but he is nothing on the player he was

Hill is another Steven Koops potential to the eyeballs but weak , koops had a great first year a slightly down second and went down every year until eventually he was traded.. One hard hit to Hill at the start of the game and that's it he is timid for the rest of it ( his brother is polar opersite he thrives on the hard stuff)

Morabito if last to arrive and first to leave he often forgets how quickly his footy career can be over .. It's more a maturity thing and given time Ross will belt it out of him but for the now I know people at Freo were disappointed about the work he didn't do while out with the knee

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Also worth noting here in WA over the last two days Ross has come out in the media saying he would offer buddy $1.5m a season to play for freo and yesterday how he has a stack of cash in the cap to chase one of the free agents next year .. Now I'm no sports psychologist but I would have though given it's still preseason talking up who you are going to target next year is a bit of a slap to the current team ??

Worth noting the West put BJ's picture to go with the free agent story ... Snowballs chance in he'll BJ will come to WA

defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Also worth noting here in WA over the last two days Ross has come out in the media saying he would offer buddy $1.5m a season to play for freo and yesterday how he has a stack of cash in the cap to chase one of the free agents next year .. Now I'm no sports psychologist but I would have though given it's still preseason talking up who you are going to target next year is a bit of a slap to the current team ??

Worth noting the West put BJ's picture to go with the free agent story ... Snowballs chance in he'll BJ will come to WA
i agree. ross is chasing a big CHF to replace pav/mcpharlin. money talks i just dont know if it will be enough. ross loves the freedom in the cap he has with freo thats for sure.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

The debate between Armooo and St Trav regarding Freo's prospects could do with some input from the horse's mouth:

"Ross Lyon Q an A"

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... n-q-and-a/

saintly
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:The debate between Armooo and St Trav regarding Freo's prospects could do with some input from the horse's mouth:

"Ross Lyon Q an A"

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... n-q-and-a/
to me he sounds very defensive whenever last year or the saints or his reputation is mentioned!

crippa2sipa
Club Player

I thought we were discussing Freo's prospects?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Freo are pants!

I think Freo are the most overrrated team in the competition right now. They have never done anything in their history to show that they will be anything other than a band of freewheeling undisciplined individuals who play a handful of good games each season (at home in WA which has the best home ground advantage in the AFL).
The way they play is attractive because up until now they have never had a defensive component to their game plans. It is all attack, attack, and attack some more. They can't even tackle, no drills there. Occasionally one of their taggers will knock somebody out in frustration but that's about it.
Ross will bring something to the table there, that's for sure, but I always find it laughable that they are continually talked up as grand final likely, despite the fact that they never win in Melbourne, and let's be honest, some of their capitulations are absolutely pathetic.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

ZAc will "stiffen" their defence no end.
Lyon will get them some score-less draws away!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:ZAc will "stiffen" their defence no end.
Lyon will get them some score-less draws away!
Lyon will get them some wins.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
supersaints
Club Player

crippa2sipa wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:I remember an email from Mods urging people to ignore trolls and they may go away.
I think the time to apply this to Clarky449 and other Ross Lyon worshipers is well overdue!
Yeah - because we should all hate the best living coach in the history of our club.

Listen you lot - I move we ban all worshipers of Allan Jeans too.
Only one flag to show for 16 years at St KIlda. 16 years!!!
Then that traitor "career coach" moves to Hawthorn and wins them 4 flags in a row.
No wonder Ian Stewart coudn't stand him.
Hated him for playing him out of position so he left for Richmond.
Sound familiar?
Stewart went on to win a Brownlow and a Premiership for the Tigers.
WE got Barrott. He lasted 2 games.

Effigies of Allan Jeans would be burned every other day by Saints fans if chat sites like this had existed in his day.
I know it's a bit of an old post but your comments about Alan Jeans are ill founded and irk me.

As great a champion as Ian Stewart was he had a reputation for his off field behavior. Jeansy was a proud ex policeman with many freinds in the force. As far as whos fault it may have been Ian actually apologized to Yabby before Yabbies death and said at Yabbys funeral it was his own fault that led him to leaving the club ian stated that he was glad he apologized to Alan before he passed away.

I may be getting a bit old but if my memory is correct Ian played in the center or on ball almost every game
So if Ian thinks it was his fault that he eventually left the saints then may be you should .....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
crippa2sipa
Club Player

supersaints wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:I remember an email from Mods urging people to ignore trolls and they may go away.
I think the time to apply this to Clarky449 and other Ross Lyon worshipers is well overdue!
Yeah - because we should all hate the best living coach in the history of our club.

Listen you lot - I move we ban all worshipers of Allan Jeans too.
Only one flag to show for 16 years at St KIlda. 16 years!!!
Then that traitor "career coach" moves to Hawthorn and wins them 4 flags in a row.
No wonder Ian Stewart coudn't stand him.
Hated him for playing him out of position so he left for Richmond.
Sound familiar?
Stewart went on to win a Brownlow and a Premiership for the Tigers.
WE got Barrott. He lasted 2 games.

Effigies of Allan Jeans would be burned every other day by Saints fans if chat sites like this had existed in his day.
I know it's a bit of an old post but your comments about Alan Jeans are ill founded and irk me.

As great a champion as Ian Stewart was he had a reputation for his off field behavior. Jeansy was a proud ex policeman with many freinds in the force. As far as whos fault it may have been Ian actually apologized to Yabby before Yabbies death and said at Yabbys funeral it was his own fault that led him to leaving the club ian stated that he was glad he apologized to Alan before he passed away.

I may be getting a bit old but if my memory is correct Ian played in the center or on ball almost every game
So if Ian thinks it was his fault that he eventually left the saints then may be you should .....
Supersaints, I WAS SPEAKING TONGUE-IN-CHEEK. I should have thought that was obvious. (Honestly, are people nowadays so dumb as to need an emoticon to understand when irony is intended?)
Of course Yabby was 100% right to do what he did.
But that was not my point. My point was that for the reasons I mentioned - namely:

1. the fact that Yabby coached us for 16 years for only 1 flag (a record that is widely regarded as an under-performance by VFL historians);
2. the fact that Yabby would today be deemed a "traitor" for going on to coach Hawthorn to 4 flags in a row; and
3. the Stewart-Barrott trade

- there'd be a fair amount of hatred directed Yabby's way if sites like Saintsational had existed in his day.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I may be wrong, but didn't Yabby retire from St Kilda, spend at least 1 year out of the game, adn then move on to Hawthorn?

I would have thought that is quite a different scenario to a coach, accepting a contract with a Club via his management and then using that contract to elicit, via a 'secret negotiator', an even better one from another Club who sack their incumbent coach without any warning.
Then instead of fronting up to a Press Conference where his contract extension is about to be announced he uses a get-out clause to 'flee the coop' from his current Club.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:I may be wrong, but didn't Yabby retire from St Kilda, spend at least 1 year out of the game, adn then move on to Hawthorn?

I would have thought that is quite a different scenario to a coach, accepting a contract with a Club via his management and then using that contract to elicit, via a 'secret negotiator', an even better one from another Club who sack their incumbent coach without any warning.
Then instead of fronting up to a Press Conference where his contract extension is about to be announced he uses a get-out clause to 'flee the coop' from his current Club.
My posts (in the RL thread) have amply demonstrated that there was no "secret negotiator" in the sense you imply. BackFromUSA has failed to rebut any of the points I made in those posts because those points are frankly irrefutable.

As for a club sacking an incumbent coach who has grossly underperformed, that is par for the course in professional football. It's about time that whingers like Mark Harvey and his mates got over themselves in that regard.

Harvey was handsomely rewarded with a $600,000 payout plus a further $300,000 odd for his assistant's job at the Brisbane Lions. He's far better off now than he would have been at Freo, especially since they planned to sack him in 2012.

Now if it's OK with you, can we get back on topic, please?

There is ample room for bitching about Ross Lyon on the Ross Lyon thread.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I may be wrong, but didn't Yabby retire from St Kilda, spend at least 1 year out of the game, adn then move on to Hawthorn?

My posts (in the RL thread) have amply demonstrated that there was no "secret negotiator" in the sense you imply. BackFromUSA has failed to rebut any of the points I made in those posts because those points are frankly irrefutable.

As for a club sacking an incumbent coach who has grossly underperformed, that is par for the course in professional football. It's about time that whingers like Mark Harvey and his mates got over themselves in that regard.

Harvey was handsomely rewarded with a $600,000 payout plus a further $300,000 odd for his assistant's job at the Brisbane Lions. He's far better off now than he would have been at Freo, especially since they planned to sack him in 2012.

Now if it's OK with you, can we get back on topic, please?

There is ample room for bitching about Ross Lyon on the Ross Lyon thread.
Yes Sir!
If there was a 'salute' emoticon I would use it now. :roll:

As for the term 'secret negotiator' please explain what you would call a solicitor acting on your behalf during negotiations with Fremantle whilst your 'appointed negotiators' Elite are dealing with your current employers.
If/when asked by St Kilda if they were dealing with another CLub (say Fremantel) what would their answer have been?
'NO, we're not.'
And that was the truth - they were not.
They held a legally binding contract with Lyon allowing them to negotiate his cnotracts. I imagine that the standard contract would give them exclusivitiy?
I'm assuming that the one with Lyon did also.

Therefore the deal done with Freo was negotiated by someone outside of that contract.
Certainly in St Kilda's case, A SECRET NEGOTIATOR acting on behalf of Lyon.

But of course you probably think that Nettlefold should have known that Lyon would go outside his appointed, contracted negotiators to deal with another Club who had an existing coach.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yabby Jeans and his defection

Jeans left us at the end of 76 and didn't go to Hawthorn until the beginning of 81. Hawthorn were going through a bit of a transition after the succesful 1970's, during which time if the 10 year rule hadn't existed - which allowed North to dominate the decade - they probably would have won two more premierships. They missed the finals three years in a row which had footy experts of the day anticipating the Hawks fading due to ageing stars.
Instead they dominated the 80s and won five flags. Sounds a bit like Geelong, doesn't it? Oh, and the football nursery Hawthorn used to win flags during that era - for all you Seaford bashers out there, the Mornington Peninsula. FWIW I never felt that Yabby was a traitor, quite the opposite. Remember, even Kanga Kennedy coached North, the Hawks most hated rival, but he remains a Hawthorn man.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.