Favourite 90's home and away game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

paulski
Club Player

Favourite 90's home and away game

I reakon the 90's was my favourite era of footy.
The attacking nature of play - before defensive coaching - was great
to watch. I also think the umpiring was better back then, they let it go
like they do in finals these days.
Think my favourite game was our first in the 90's -round 1 1990 against the dogs at the Western Oval.
Until this day, I've never heard Saints fans go as crazy as they did that sunny arvo, at the dog's home ground!
I think it was the dogs first game after repelling a merger with the roys, and there was a huge ( and painfully long ) pre game celebration to honour it.
I remember the Saints running out half way through their pissweak
celebrations, and saints fans opposite their grandstands going mental!
Was standing right under the opposing coach's box that day, with thousands of fellow sainters. I clearly remember the saints players
looking at us with amazement as they did their warm ups in front of us,
everyone was going seriously mental! Have never cheered a warm up before, but that day was special.
Don't remember a lot from the game apart from getting an early lead, and maintaining it throughout the game.
I also remember going nuts when Ken Sheldon climbed, and virtually had to bungee jump from the coaching box in the outer!
I've been supporting the saints for years, but can't remember the crowd going English football like very often, but this day was awesome.
Does anyone else remember it? I've never heard it spoken of.
Also, do you have it on tape Mcadam05, I'd love a copy.
Cheers all, go Sainters.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Favourite 90's home and away game

paulski wrote:I reakon the 90's was my favourite era of footy.
Think my favourite game was our first in the 90's -round 1 1990 against the dogs at the Western Oval.
Until this day, I've never heard Saints fans go as crazy as they did that sunny arvo, at the dog's home ground!
I think it was the dogs first game after repelling a merger with the roys, and there was a huge ( and painfully long ) pre game celebration to honour it.
Was standing right under the opposing coach's box that day, with thousands of fellow sainters. I clearly remember the saints players
looking at us with amazement as they did their warm ups in front of us
everyone was going seriously mental! Have never cheered a warm up before, but that day was special.
Don't remember a lot from the game apart from getting an early lead, and maintaining it throughout the game.
I also remember going nuts when Ken Sheldon climbed, and virtually had to bungee jump from the coaching box in the outer!
I've been supporting the saints for years, but can't remember the crowd going English football like very often, but this day was awesome.
Cheers all, go Sainters.
I was there as well. For memory it was Sheldon's first game as coach. I clearly remember him climbing down the ladder of that stupid coaches box at Footscray after we won. He had a pair of Saints footy socks on which he tucked his trousers into while climbing down. The Saints crowd on the Hawkins wing loved it.

I also have fond memories of this match.

What a kick start it was to the 1990 campaign. Big Plugger Lockett looked set to take on Pratt and Hudson's record (again). Alas, about 8 rounds into the season the big man got injured and the season turned into a struggle instead of a long awaited finals birth.

But back to round 1 of 1990 - I thought we were going to win by 100 points that day. Still we gave them a 10 goal hiding. Jimmy Krakouer made his debut for us and looked to be a very handy inclusion.

Would be interested to see highlights of this particular game as well.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Schillaci
Club Player

4 May 1991 – St Kilda defeats Adelaide at Moorabbin Oval Round 7 Saturday, ... 7.3, 14.7, 18.14, 24.18, 162. Adelaide Crows, 0.1, 1.7, 2.7, 4.7, 31 ...Heaven at Moorabin. Plugger kicked 12.6 and Harvey, Burke, Winmar, Pekin and Morris all had 30+ possies. Crows didn't have any answers as we ran riot all day long.

mcadam05
Club Player

Re: Favourite 90's home and away game

paulski wrote:I reakon the 90's was my favourite era of footy.
looking at us with amazement as they did their warm ups in front of us,
Cheers all, go Sainters.
i did have it but it was in long play so i taped over it a couple yrs later .Im getting new games all the time , so keep a eye out and soon as i get it i will post it :)

philtee
Club Player

Was there one at the MCG where we beat Collingwood by a point, or 8 points? I seem to remember a
warm inner glow over something like that. And was this the same game where Ken Sheldon gave
Craig Devonport an earful over the boundary fence?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:4 May 1991 – St Kilda defeats Adelaide at Moorabbin Oval Round 7 Saturday, ... 7.3, 14.7, 18.14, 24.18, 162. Adelaide Crows, 0.1, 1.7, 2.7, 4.7, 31 ...Heaven at Moorabin. Plugger kicked 12.6 and Harvey, Burke, Winmar, Pekin and Morris all had 30+ possies. Crows didn't have any answers as we ran riot all day long.

What a great day that was, first game i took my girlfreind(now better half) to

As I recall it was Pluggers first game back from injury, at the first bounce the ruckman (cant remeber who) tapped it straight to Winmar who put it down Pluggars throat.

I love this club
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

1995 (or maybe 1996) vs Carlton when they lost 2 games for year and from memory we won about 2 games. Think we won quite comfortably in end aswell. Just remember noone gave as a chance (and fair enough to)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:1995 (or maybe 1996) vs Carlton when they lost 2 games for year and from memory we won about 2 games. Think we won quite comfortably in end aswell. Just remember noone gave as a chance (and fair enough to)
Think it was 1995.

And the day Rod Keogh switched off Mil Hanna's lights :wink:

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

stkildathunda wrote:1995 (or maybe 1996) vs Carlton when they lost 2 games for year and from memory we won about 2 games. Think we won quite comfortably in end aswell. Just remember noone gave as a chance (and fair enough to)
They only lost two games for the year - to us and the Swans the previous week (the two bottom sides at the time).

Another good one (also against the blues) was 1991. I don't know which round but it was the week after we'd had the bye and we needed to win to guarantee a finals berth. Pretty sure Plugger kicked a few (when didn't he?), Tim Allen kicked 3 (his parents were sitting directly behind me) and we ended up winning quite comfortably.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Round 21 v Carlton @ Waverley.
Plugger kicked 13 and we won by 9 goals...and shored up a finals spot for the first time in 18 years and my living memory.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
They only lost two games for the year - to us and the Swans the previous week (the two bottom sides at the time).

Another good one (also against the blues) was 1991. I don't know which round but it was the week after we'd had the bye and we needed to win to guarantee a finals berth. Pretty sure Plugger kicked a few (when didn't he?), Tim Allen kicked 3 (his parents were sitting directly behind me) and we ended up winning quite comfortably.
Must've been the one before the Crows match in Adelaide where we crunched them and Plugger brought up his ton.

I think that Carlton match also saw a very handy debut from Dean Greig.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
remboy wrote:

Must've been the one before the Crows match in Adelaide where we crunched them and Plugger brought up his ton.

I think that Carlton match also saw a very handy debut from Dean Greig.
That's right. He had about 39 possessions. I remember watching him in the reserves (in the days when they played before the main game) and thinking he could play a bit.

mcadam05
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote:Round 21 v Carlton @ Waverley.
Plugger kicked 13 and we won by 9 goals...and shored up a finals spot for the first time in 18 years and my living memory.
lets go too the action ;)

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

How the Saints didn't win a premiership with some of those players is a mystery.

Grant
Lockett
Winmar
Loewe
Vidovic
Greig
Frawley
Harvey
Burke
Pekin
Last edited by magnifisaint on Mon 09 Jan 2012 12:15pm, edited 3 times in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

How the Saints didn't win a premiership with some of those players is a mystery.

Grant
Lockett
Winmar
Loewe
Vidovic
Greig
Frawley
Harvey
Burke
Pekin

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I've still got the footy record from that game.
The team for that match was:
B: Grant Frawley Burke
HB: Devonport Morris Taylor
C: Winmar Greig Pekin
HF: Allen Loewe Coghlan
F: Rice Lockett Harvey
Foll: Harding Newport Craven
Inter: McAdam Vidovic

You know you've got a good side when McAdam's on the bench and Burke, Harvey and Rice aren't name in the starting midfield.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:How the Saints didn't win a premiership with some of those players is a mystery.

Grant
Lockett
Winmar
Loewe
Vidovic
Greig
Frawley
Harvey
Burke
Pekin
Especially having 2 of each.

mcadam05
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:How the Saints didn't win a premiership with some of those players is a mystery.

Grant
Lockett
Winmar
Loewe
Vidovic
Greig
Frawley
93,94,95,96 we should of been giving the flag a good shake but the recruiting under Sheldon and Hudson was s***!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I have about 6 games from 1990 But not the first round- have the Bulldogs at moorabbin. but not at Western oval.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stevie
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:Round 21 v Carlton @ Waverley.
lets go too the action ;)

Plugger' hair intrigues me in this game ( I have the season highlights on vid); anyway the next week v Crows, his hair at the back is way longer, even curly looking.
Check it out, I've always found it odd. Did he somehow get extensions during the week? 😜

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:

Grant
Lockett
Winmar
Loewe
Vidovic
Greig
Frawley
93,94,95,96 we should of been giving the flag a good shake but the recruiting under Sheldon and Hudson was s***!

mmmmmm sounds familiar :wink:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Saints43
Club Player

I've got that complete game on VHS from the Channel 7 archives. The first quarter sees Rod Keogh running through Mil Hannah. They weren't up for it after that. I think there was another big hit in that match but I can't remeber who it was...

The most entertaining game I ever went to was round 15 1995 vs Geelong at the MCG. Attacking football, skills, Ablett specky (over Sierra), Harvey late snapped goal, Winmar overhead defensive pack mark to make the game safe. Brilliant game. Would love to have it on DVD...

Saints 2.6 9.10 12.13 13.15 93
Geelong 3.3 6.3 10.4 13.7 85

Att:37382

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

lived in NSW for the entire decade so didn't get to many games but

94 the comeback at SCG, yes I was there!! suspect many claim to be who weren't because the crowd was tiny

97 great win v swans

but for me the game of the decade was
97 prelim

had seats on the wing and we were sensational

and then to walk back into the city with all the crowds singing and knowing we were in the big dance for the first time in 26 years

was a brilliant night

mcadam05
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
mcadam05 wrote:

Grant
Lockett
Winmar
Loewe
Vidovic
Greig
Frawley

mmmmmm sounds familiar :wink:
Lyon did get a couple right but Sheldon and Hudson got none right