Draw a Line in the Sand: 2012 Saints Membership TVC

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Lenny
Club Player

sainter27 wrote:I am the biggest fan of what has happened at our club since Scotty took over, and I love the idea and execution of the ad, but the membership catchline is terrible, 'draw a line in the sand'. I know the beach area from Port Melb to Frankston is our target mebership area. I also understand that we are a footy club, and we have to be competative but given all the positives coming from the club and all the excitement about the future, it is a letdown of a catchcry to attract members. The whole matra since Scotty took over was 'open, receptive, vibrant'. A complete off-field revolution from Rossy. Nick gave a speech about Us Vs Them last year. In reality a line in the sand. You are with us, or against us. You may say it is a catchcry given our target and impressive ad, and it is an impressive ad, but surely they could have come up with a much better slogan. The club always seem to paint themselves as a club trying to fit in, and be up to AFL footy, but never really comfortable with themselves. This may seem very minor, and in the scheme of things it is, but this popular coach 'catchcry' is the only disappointing thing that has come out of our great club recently. I love this idea to promote and sell our club, and while we need to be tough and demand the highest standards, we cannot afford to proport ourselves in an us against them mentality, when all that has been coming from the club since Scotty was appointed has been the exact opposite.
Pretty sure "draw a line in the sand" came from Scotty in his speech when it was announced he was coach.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:
sainter27 wrote:I am the biggest fan of what has happened at our club since Scotty took over, and I love the idea and execution of the ad, but the membership catchline is terrible, 'draw a line in the sand'. I know the beach area from Port Melb to Frankston is our target mebership area. I also understand that we are a footy club, and we have to be competative but given all the positives coming from the club and all the excitement about the future, it is a letdown of a catchcry to attract members. The whole matra since Scotty took over was 'open, receptive, vibrant'. A complete off-field revolution from Rossy. Nick gave a speech about Us Vs Them last year. In reality a line in the sand. You are with us, or against us. You may say it is a catchcry given our target and impressive ad, and it is an impressive ad, but surely they could have come up with a much better slogan. The club always seem to paint themselves as a club trying to fit in, and be up to AFL footy, but never really comfortable with themselves. This may seem very minor, and in the scheme of things it is, but this popular coach 'catchcry' is the only disappointing thing that has come out of our great club recently. I love this idea to promote and sell our club, and while we need to be tough and demand the highest standards, we cannot afford to proport ourselves in an us against them mentality, when all that has been coming from the club since Scotty was appointed has been the exact opposite.
Pretty sure "draw a line in the sand" came from Scotty in his speech when it was announced he was coach.
I think some people are reading too much into a few little words myself.

Great ad.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don't buy pr and marketing from anybody or anyone including the saints.

and how do they propose to get 50,000 members? Are they going to sign up more small children and cats? That's ridiculous especially in this economic climate.
Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 12 Dec 2011 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:I don't buy pr and marketing from anybody or anyone including the saints.
We posters spend 12 months of the year discussing this great footy club of ours.

I don't think it's us they're after. :idea:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What I want to know is how much the ad cost.

Given our big loss last year, and all the spending cuts, we as members need to know the spend on this.

Ie. how much of membership increase is needed to cover the cost?

How the faark you measure that I dunno?

I assume they were worried about a very high churn rate this year, so perhaps it mainly to reduce churn?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
carnasaints55
Club Player

I'm proud to be a saints fan and a saints member and its great to see so many people come out for the filming of the ad!! We're a great club and I'm proud to be a part of it. Great to see the passion in the interviews in the behind the scenes footage and I'm really excited for this season and this ad has contributed to that. No matter how much it cost, or whether or not the slogan sends the right message or whether or not there were enough people on the first beach--I DONT CARE! Last season we all (players included, I assume) went into it already feeling burnt out from the incredible off season we had. I was not excited in the slightest. I'm BURSTING for this season already and this ad is a part of that.

To quote the great kid at the end of the behind the scenes footage--CARNA SAINTS!!!

roo=god
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Warning PERSONAL OPINION alert...

I think the visual aspect of the ad is great. There's a geographic re-connect via the bay that seems to had previously been lost in the Seaford move and the diehard solidarity aspect is effective enough.

Tagline is a call to something but what? Am I drawing a line between being a member or not? Am I drawing it between copping flak for being a Saints supporter and not taking it anymore? Between mediocrity and excellence? Between almost winning and winning? I'm not sure what it actually means....

The voiceover is insipid and lifeless.

The soundtrack adds nothing.

I expected a finale that never came.

The players are shunted in favour of the club and I'm not sure why...Surely the feats of Hayes, Goddard, Milne, Riewoldt et al balanced by some neat footage of the achievements of the younger brigade might be more appealing?

Still, it's different and it's something beyond players smiling in amongst fat supporters and kids who'll wear anything if it'll get em on the telly....

As to cost, I don't expect it would cost much at all. My guess is good ol Lindsay would have shucked out for the copter and the rest would be peanuts in a relative sense.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

my wife's view...it's just an ad....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Tagline is a call to something but what? Am I drawing a line between being a member or not? Am I drawing it between copping flak for being a Saints supporter and not taking it anymore? Between mediocrity and excellence? Between almost winning and winning? I'm not sure what it actually means....

I agree with the tagline, it's more player speak than supporter speak IMO.

I like Bana though, I like knowing he is a passionate St Kilda supporter.

Just remember Thinline....

crippa2sipa
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
Thinline wrote:Tagline is a call to something but what? Am I drawing a line between being a member or not? Am I drawing it between copping flak for being a Saints supporter and not taking it anymore? Between mediocrity and excellence? Between almost winning and winning? I'm not sure what it actually means....

Last year's ad was made before Ross Lyon brought in all these media and marketing types whose efforts some have been lauding so much in recent weeks.

The current ad cost "a six figure sum" - as Nettlefold conceded last night on 3AW when asked whether the cost (which they guessed was about $150k) could be justified by the likely increase in membership numbers it would yield.

Considering that last year's ad cost zero and yielded 40,000 members in a year in which Kim Duthie (ably supported by the HUN and Caroline Wilson in particular at The Age) turned so many of our supporters off become members, Nettlefold's splurge smacks to me of a certain degree of desperation. That he went on to deceive his interlocutors by stating that he had grown our membership to 40 odd thousand this year and last from "about the mid 20s 3 or 4 years ago" serves only to confirm that impression.

(I believe the true figure was the mid to low 30s 3 or 4 years ago).

http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/12 ... Replay.mp3
Interview with CEO is about a third of the way through.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

awww come on I reckon it's a good proud effort

jesus, expect the unexpected? Dont just love it live it FFS?

not a bit of cringe in it - Line in the Sand - as good as anything else going

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:[]
Last year's ad was made before Ross Lyon brought in all these media and marketing types whose efforts some have been lauding so much in recent weeks.

why or how did Ross have anything to do with ' bringing in the media types?- wasn't that the boards role?.

and if you don't wish to wade through Healey and co
http://www.saints.com.au/saints%20in%20 ... fault.aspx

can't win really- spend nothing and people say cheapskates, spend a bit to make and impact and still get knocked.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Dead set hate the prick ,just before he hired those marketing types he was spotted on a "grassy knoll" just before a gunshot was heard! And to think I considerd myself the premier LYON _HATER on here, really must get out more!!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

http://www.nationalvisas.com.au/blog/au ... 4-million/

If there's going to be 300,000+ new residents settling in Melbourne every five years, and let's assume that equals an added 80,000 adults and new footy fans, then why would it be inconceivable that several thousand of these adults could decide in 2012 to become Saints members for the first time??? I mean, lets face it, everyone knows we have the best sport on earth with AFL and a lot of migrants settling here will get the footy bug sooner or later... You see them at the footy these days with all the different nationalities and the faces in the crowd. The Saints have given these 'new' footy watches a team to back...We've been in finals more than any other Melbourne team in the last 8years.

"Melbourne's growth in the past 9 years equals roughly six Ballarats, three Hobarts and one Gold Coast."
http://theage.domain.com.au/real-estate ... 1cng1.html

Some people don't see what's going on around them when they predict that we'd be pushing for just 40K...You are not being 'realistic' clarky - you are closed minded and uninformed!!! Are you also putting a ceiling on the population of Melbourne and Australia as well....The families that go to the footy look vastly different to what we were used to back in the VFL days. Before you were born young fella...

The other thing that is changing is the style of membership and I know myself that I'll be purchasing the 3 game membership (as a gift) for some of my relatives that can't normally get to the footy as often as they'd like to. It's not unrealistic for the club to be aiming for 50,000 members in the next couple of years and if the club invests in marketing, I reckon it is achievable.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Sorry saintbrat, I meant "under" Ross. He pushed for those appointments as he was employed to coach, not to continually fend off a hysterical media peddling lies about us (re Duthie, re Gilbo punching someone in NZ etc). Spending hundreds of thousands dollars on a membership ad is fine if it produces the vast increase in membership numbers required to justify it. Am I confident in the integrity of the CEO's decisionmaking here? No I'm not. Not since I heard him lie about his performance in this area.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

who was the marketing guru?
dermott brereton?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Funny I actually watched it again with my headphones on (rather than just over the computer speakers) and enjoyed it immensely. Go figure!

Look, at the end of the day, if it gets us 40000 plus, you beaut.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

crippa2sipa wrote:Sorry saintbrat, I meant "under" Ross. He pushed for those appointments as he was employed to coach, not to continually fend off a hysterical media peddling lies about us (re Duthie, re Gilbo punching someone in NZ etc).......
Don't know whether you have to say sorry for anything. It was around that time the coaching panel (and players) were sick of fielding all sorts of questions from the media.

The coaches would not have directly hired the staff, but may have asked the CEO for help - that's about the time the club appointed Sarah Galbally (Consumer Business) and Kimberley Gardiner (Communications)..........

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock: