Who thinks?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:If all goes well we may make the Prelims.
If ALL goes well we will win it.

(All going well means all other top 8 teams have horrific injury runs, we win all the close ones with luck, and we get the equilivent of Port Adelaide 2007 as our GF opponent.).

Otherwise, hoping for a better year than this year, which means we could possibly top four it.
We just happened to play Geelong and the Pies who were two very good teams. Why can't we get into the grand final and play St Kilda?
lol - they would probably beat us as well :cry:
lol.

It be a draw. then the word would end..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I think our best possible results it a Prelim.

I think the highest we can get is really 5th/6th.

I'm cool with that, as long as we achieve so putting games into new players and getting some developing youth having solid contributions.

Carpe Diem
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if we remain injury and scandal free we will finish in the top 6, and I'm very confident of top 4.

My reasoning is thus: Last season we were the sixth best side in the league. This is in a year when the side was mentally and emotionally exhausted from the pain of 2 GF losses, the KD shite, the Lovett shite, and copping a constant barrage of abuse from the media. On top of this we lost our spiritual leader for the season and our captain played with a bung knee. Also, our coach had virtually given up by the time we played finals, wasn't really interested in attacking the finals series. The game plan had become outdated and surpassed.

Therefore there is clearly massive scope for improvement, and I'm supremely confident from everything emanating from the club at the moment that this potential improvement is being realized:

Players injury free and mentally refreshed and energetic: tick.
Scandal free and relating well to media: tick
Solid pre-season: tick
New game plan from a forward thinking coach: tick
New, young players pushing for selection: tick
Favorable draw: tick

I fail to see, barring calamity, how we could possibly get worse next season. The only way for us is up, and up from 6th leaves you in the top 4. This list is a good list. We have the necessary personnel. We have the experience. We have the hunger. A premiership next year is in no way beyond this group. Certainly it is impossible that they won't make the finals.
Last edited by hungry for a premiership on Fri 09 Dec 2011 4:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Who knows? A new gameplan and players and a reinvigorated list. Anything could happen.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

and we have settled into our new facility
I'd expect a little inconsistency next year
but to show signs of THE RIGHT STUFF
and who knows, in for a pennny

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Dont think we are top 4, im hoping we can sneak into the 8 but have my doubts.
What sort of supporter are you??? :roll: :roll: :roll:
How can you possibly say such a thing unless............

LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME KIMMY
Sorry i just said my opinion. Sorry i dont think we will win the premiership. Sorry im a realist. What sort of supporter am i? I go to every game i can get to. Have been a member since i was about 7. I support the team all the time. So how about you piss off and take off your rose coloured glasses.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I have more hope now than this time last year!

I have more hope now than this time last year! All the off field rubbish that went on last year the team did well to play finals.

Now that LYInnnng has been replaced by Watters my faith and hope has grown considerably. We mighten win it but at least we will enjoy our footy and get to see some exciting kids run out!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
TD
Club Player

Top4

no need to waffle on, just a guess.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Re: I have more hope now than this time last year!

WinnersOnly wrote:I have more hope now than this time last year! All the off field rubbish that went on last year the team did well to play finals.

Now that LYInnnng has been replaced by Watters my faith and hope has grown considerably. We mighten win it but at least we will enjoy our footy and get to see some exciting kids run out!
Lyinnnng?... I hope we have an exciting year like 2009 or even better.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
kalsaint
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:6th to 10th. Yes a big range but that is because the year revolves around our guns. The young players are the future but 2nd and 3rd year players will have no bearing on where we finish next year. I have given that range due to the ordinary year of Rooy and Lenny not playing. If both play well top 6 is possible and if they dont then the likelyhood of making the 8 is low.
Watters is probably going to play the second and third year players and one or two of the first year players as well so they will have a bearing on how we go one way or another.
I disagree that the senior players will set the ladder poistion. All teams have few top notch players. Saints need others top come on to improve team position. Yes our top players need to play well but its the mid tier that need to step up a bit and the lower 6 to become more consistent before a higher ladder position.

The kids will make the team more inconsistent but will show spirit and endeavour.

I think back to 2002 (maybe 2003) when the team was on fire late in the season with a lot of youth growing up. Feelong cost a 6 or 7 game streak but the team had not done well enough in the first half of the season to make the 8.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
StGoddard18
Club Player

I'm going to say we will win the flag, because I can't bring myself to say orherwise. Lol.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

No reason we are not up for a tilt at the flag if the cards fall our way and others don't kick on.

Geelong will struggle to cover the retirements etc. Pies could go either way. Carlton and west coast should improve again. Freo should bolt if injury free.

We had a terrible injury run this year and should have better luck. If we adjust to the changes and get the best from our core we will go well.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Where did we have Geelong finishing before 2011..... Honestly

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:No reason we are not up for a tilt at the flag if the cards fall our way and others don't kick on.

Geelong will struggle to cover the retirements etc. Pies could go either way. Carlton and west coast should improve again. Freo should bolt if injury free.

We had a terrible injury run this year and should have better luck. If we adjust to the changes and get the best from our core we will go well.
I must have watched a different side because apart from Lenny early and Jimmy late we had a great run with out top players, injury wise. Matter of fact that could be an issue next year. it will be hard to have such a good run again.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:No reason we are not up for a tilt at the flag if the cards fall our way and others don't kick on.

I must have watched a different side because apart from Lenny early and Jimmy late we had a great run with out top players, injury wise. Matter of fact that could be an issue next year. it will be hard to have such a good run again.
He didn't say top players though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He said a terrible run with injury. Sorry but injuries to Ledger, Cripps, Ferguson and a few others like that didnt have any effect on how we went this year. Lenny did and Jimmy did but we hardly got any injuries to other 1-15 players during the year.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He said a terrible run with injury. Sorry but injuries to Ledger, Cripps, Ferguson and a few others like that didnt have any effect on how we went this year. Lenny did and Jimmy did but we hardly got any injuries to other 1-15 players during the year.

Roo was playing injured, particularly toward the end of the season.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Rosco
Club Player

We didn't lose many, but lenny would be at the top of my list of players we could least afford to have lost in 2011

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Can't tell me captain was right in the head in 2011.I know all the reasons/excuses but he needs to find a bit in 2012.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

We don't have a FF or FB
Hayes is a 31 yo coming back from a knee
Gwilt won't be any good until 2013
We only have one geniune AFL grade ruckman
We have a new coach and a bunch of green assistants
New game plans can take a year or two to adapt to

Let's face it we are about 6 to 8 players short of a team that is capable of going deep in September. These are the main reasons I think we will be bottom 4 in 2012

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

don't really worry too much about what we'll do.
happy when we win games. finals is a bonus.
a flag?
one day. maybe next year, maybe not.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:We don't have a FF or FB
Hayes is a 31 yo coming back from a knee
Gwilt won't be any good until 2013
We only have one geniune AFL grade ruckman
We have a new coach and a bunch of green assistants
New game plans can take a year or two to adapt to

Let's face it we are about 6 to 8 players short of a team that is capable of going deep in September. These are the main reasons I think we will be bottom 4 in 2012
So after hardly losing any core guys, and regaining some pretty handy ones...

6th to bottom 4?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Who knows? A new gameplan and players and a reinvigorated list. Anything could happen.
+1

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Riewoldt and Kosi both had trouble with their knee and ankle respectively. Gram looked restricted, most of our promising young guys missed games due to various injuries.
Gardi didn't get back, Goddard apparently had post season surgery, Geary broke bones, Montagna looked like he struggled with a couple of injuries to a groin and hand.
Stanley did a hammy, etc. etc. ... but any team with injuries to it best two players will struggle and if Goddrd was playing injured the best three.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Riewoldt and Kosi both had trouble with their knee and ankle respectively. Gram looked restricted, most of our promising young guys missed games due to various injuries.
Gardi didn't get back, Goddard apparently had post season surgery, Geary broke bones, Montagna looked like he struggled with a couple of injuries to a groin and hand.
Stanley did a hammy, etc. etc. ... but any team with injuries to it best two players will struggle and if Goddrd was playing injured the best three.
If they played they were fit.