Zac Dawson rejects St Kilda's offer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Saints backs including Zac have always been in the spotlight due the woeful efforts of our forward line as a whole- lets face it, when you are continually defending a low score, the slightest mistake resulting in an opposition goal looks bad. Players like Roo and Kosi along with our midfield are just going to have to find the goals a lot more next season, and on a lot more regular basis.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The Saints backs including Zac have always been in the spotlight due the woeful efforts of our forward line as a whole- lets face it, when you are continually defending a low score, the slightest mistake resulting in an opposition goal looks bad. Players like Roo and Kosi along with our midfield are just going to have to find the goals a lot more next season, and on a lot more regular basis.
The focus on defensive mistakes is often unfair as you said. When we rarely kick more than 12 goals and rely on keeping other teams below that, one mistake gets focused on when other players from other clubs fo just the same, the differance is they gave a foward line that kicks goals. Unfortunatly Zac cops this more than most.

I love this club
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
To the top wrote:What was of interest through 2011 was that it became Clarke who had the responsibility for the ruckman dropping deep forward - particularly when Gwilt went down.

Clarke proved exceptional at getting a hand into the contest and bringing the ball to ground - and had courage and skill going back into the contest.

Not ideal given the size differentials with both Clarke and Gwilt being around 188cm/189cm, but it worked fine in 2011.

It was my view that Clarke performed that responsibility far better than Gwilt, who was outmarked reasonably often.
wow TTT

you're spot on... have often felt like the only one that made that observation... goodness knows I've spent enough time arguing it on here

he's a very good defender is Raph
No arguments here.

To the top
SS Life Member

I think we may have established that the "Shadow of 10 Million" posts is actually "2 goals a game average playing as a permanent forward pocket" Milne!

"Shadow" certainly jumps whenever question is raised about Milne - and look at his internet "name"!

Look at the players Ferguson got rid of at Manchester United - and what he got in replacement.

And then look at his record over 25 years.

Then look at St Kilda's record and the hero worship of the goal kickers - Lockett and Milne - and you will see exactly why St Kilda has the history it has.

Ferguson concludes that he can get a better outcome for the Club by trading off the likes of club icon, Beckham at the peak of his powers - as but one example of superior list management.

Look at what trading the dedicated full forward Lockett got St Kilda - the opportunity to draft 3 talented kids with all round skills.

As identified, the problem with St Kilda is not the defence per se, because it, including significantly Clarke, does an excellent job even allowing for a very fragile performer at full back.

The problem is the ability of the St Kilda football team to kick goals.

Given the hero worship of Milne, why is it that our attack is our very real problem?

After all, we have Milne.

The real problem is that relying on a permanent forward pocket player who averages 2 goals a game is not going to win you football matches - we need a spread of forwards capable of putting 20 goals on the scoreboard - and hero worshipping Milne for his 2 goals only excacerbates the problem because of perception that Milne is a super star - aka Bartlett, no doubt except Bartlett played in premiership sides - and kicked (I think) 29 goals in a 4 match final series, including roving - so we do not have a problem.

We also have Riewoldt - but with no support therefore isolating him against the direct and zone defence tactic he is now surounded by - and which we have to find remedy too by increasing our forward options who represent threat including overhead.

Koschitzke plays at full forward, but is a utility player filling in in that position because of a lack of options - and because he has been under-done physically due to a litany of injuries.

Hopefully one of our significant improvements in 2012 will be Koschitzke hitting the season fully fit and prepared and contributing around the ground - because that is where he will influence results from.

The problem is not only targets in our forward line but free disposals of the ball conceded (Milne the greatest perpetrator) and where balls conceded result in goals at the other end of the ground given our abysmal lack of forward defensive and chase pressure (absent Peake who was put forward for this precise reason meaning we waste an option to cover a glaring Milne deficiency) - simply Milne and Schnieder do not work, and neither can contribute to mid-field rotations because they do not have the skill sets.

In terms of addressing the improvement required, some who should be right under the spot light escape the glare.

There are no favoured sons - this is a team game.

And you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Hence you turn and you turn and you turn your player list.

I would have loved to seen Milne offered to Sheedy including because of the statement it makes about the St Kilda Football Club and its intent.

And, in terms of salary cap and taking perceived pressure off Goddard by offering him a long-term contract before the commencement of the 2012 season, I would look at the rising 32 year old Milne and the currency he has as a 2011 All Australian as a forward pocket.

Win/win/win for the St Kilda Football Club.

Was Davis also an All-Australian in 2011?

Could not get the money so is gone - and now looking for other options.

SMS
Club Player

MILNE?

Why on earth would anyone want to give up on Milne?? The guy is one of the greatest EVER small forwards, is currently AA and has ST.KILDA tattooed on his heart! A leader, a great persona around the club, the guy is to be much admired coming through the other side from accusations of rape which indecently are NOT true!

Given everything to the saints been a GREAT of our club and YOU WANT him GONE??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Anyway back on topic .. Simpkin? After losing Walsh and Dawson its not looking as strong in the KPP area. Shame.Will be fine as long as Blake, Fisher, Simpkin stay fit and available. :(

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

out of interes if zac does enter the draft where do people think he will go?
i would say around pick 20.

TD
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:out of interes if zac does enter the draft where do people think he will go?
i would say around pick 20.
1st round pick to the Dickers

stinger
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:
Look at what trading the dedicated full forward Lockett got St Kilda - the opportunity to draft 3 talented kids with all round skills.
and what did we actually get.....smith for a couple of years ...and......sfa.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
To the top wrote:
and what did we actually get.....smith for a couple of years ...and......sfa.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
i would much rather sfa than dawson.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
jays
Club Player

on your bike

lefty
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote: Never let the facts get in the away of another whinge.

FACT: Max was injured late 2009. Would have been a massive risk playing him ahead of Zac. Outside of a point that was awarded a goal, Zac had a pretty good day.

FACT: Zac was penalised in NZ for breaking a no alcohol rule. He had a few glasses of red at dinner. He was not involved in the prescription drugs/grog escapade.

FACT: Zac has a short use by date in the AFL. If you knew that you would most likely be out of your current job in 3 years time & had the opportunity to triple your wages in that time, what would you do?

FACT: Zac uses his body to get his opponent out of position very well. He gets found out when he plays too far infront of his man & has to double back & 'find' him. He's also as courageous as they come. We will miss him IF he goes (which is still to be confirmed).

I'm sure that Zac would love to stay. I love my current job but if someone offered me 3 times the salary?... I would be derelict in my responsibilty to my family if I didnt heavily weigh that up.
FACT: Zac was in hospital on a drip the night before the Grand Final in 09. Talk about "massive" risk.

FACT: Zac got in trouble for breaking a team rule.

FACT: Rubbish short used by date, actually its not even a fact. Most good players can play till their 32

FACT: So hes no good 1 on 1 against the bigger bodies, Cloke ripped him a new one. Josh Gibson is a much better FB.

FACT: Collingwood players, Pendlebury, Thomas, Swan all stayed for less money than going off to GWS for 3-4x's more.

If Zac wants to go, then go, the team will be fine.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I think we may have established that the "Shadow of 10 Million" posts is actually "2 goals a game average playing as a permanent forward pocket" Milne!

"Shadow" certainly jumps whenever question is raised about Milne - and look at his internet "name"!

Look at the players Ferguson got rid of at Manchester United - and what he got in replacement.

Then look at St Kilda's record and the hero worship of the goal kickers - Lockett and Milne - and you will see exactly why St Kilda has the history it has.

Ferguson concludes that he can get a better outcome for the Club by trading off the likes of club icon, Beckham at the peak of his powers - as but one example of superior list management.

As identified, the problem with St Kilda is not the defence per se, because it, including significantly Clarke, does an excellent job even allowing for a very fragile performer at full back.

Given the hero worship of Milne, why is it that our attack is our very real problem?

The real problem is that relying on a permanent forward pocket player who averages 2 goals a game is not going to win you football matches - we need a spread of forwards capable of putting 20 goals on the scoreboard - and hero worshipping Milne for his 2 goals only excacerbates the problem because of perception that Milne is a super star - aka Bartlett, no doubt except Bartlett played in premiership sides - and kicked (I think) 29 goals in a 4 match final series, including roving - so we do not have a problem.

We also have Riewoldt - but with no support therefore isolating him against the direct and zone defence tactic he is now surounded by - and which we have to find remedy too by increasing our forward options who represent threat including overhead.

Koschitzke plays at full forward, but is a utility player filling in in that position because of a lack of options - and because he has been under-done physically due to a litany of injuries.

Hopefully one of our significant improvements in 2012 will be Koschitzke hitting the season fully fit and prepared and contributing around the ground - because that is where he will influence results from.

The problem is not only targets in our forward line but free disposals of the ball conceded (Milne the greatest perpetrator) and where balls conceded result in goals at the other end of the ground given our abysmal lack of forward defensive and chase pressure (absent Peake who was put forward for this precise reason meaning we waste an option to cover a glaring Milne deficiency) - simply Milne and Schnieder do not work, and neither can contribute to mid-field rotations because they do not have the skill sets.

In terms of addressing the improvement required, some who should be right under the spot light escape the glare.

I would have loved to seen Milne offered to Sheedy including because of the statement it makes about the St Kilda Football Club and its intent.

And, in terms of salary cap and taking perceived pressure off Goddard by offering him a long-term contract before the commencement of the 2012 season, I would look at the rising 32 year old Milne and the currency he has as a 2011 All Australian as a forward pocket.

Surely someone has told you over the years that saying or writing a lot means f*** all when you say nothing. Again you have said nothing except to prove your knowledge of footy is poor at best and shocking at worst. I have an idea. Lets play Cahill, who we delisted because how wasnt good enough for Sandy, over Milne who cant play apparently because he is 32 years old whatever that means. Seriously stop embarrassing your family and your name. Now go and immediately buy the book, AFL for dummies.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

lol at the beckham comparisons. beckham chose to leave as real madrid offered him a fortune. how does that compare with milne?
if fergie was coaching us he'd keep milne, just as he kept giggs and scholes - age was irrelevant, it's about the performance on the field.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
To the top wrote:I think we may have established that the "Shadow of 10 Million" posts is actually "2 goals a game average playing as a permanent forward pocket" Milne!

Surely someone has told you over the years that saying or writing a lot means f*** all when you say nothing. Again you have said nothing except to prove your knowledge of footy is poor at best and shocking at worst. I have an idea. Lets play Cahill, who we delisted because how wasnt good enough for Sandy, over Milne who cant play apparently because he is 32 years old whatever that means. Seriously stop embarrassing your family and your name. Now go and immediately buy the book, AFL for dummies.
Friggin hilarious and probably true. The bits about saying nothing and football knowledge at least.. :lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Manchester United won the treble with Beckham?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
SaintJohn1956
Club Player

When we lost Lockett to Sydney, I'm pretty sure that allowed us to get Smith (eventaully lost to Hawthorn),Aussie Jones and Tony Brown (lost to SA but league B&F there {I think} also a player by the name of Hudhton.

Saint John
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohn1956 wrote:When we lost Lockett to Sydney, I'm pretty sure that allowed us to get Smith (eventaully lost to Hawthorn),Aussie Jones and Tony Brown (lost to SA but league B&F there {I think} also a player by the name of Hudhton.
Hudhton? Never heard of him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

lefty wrote:
FACT: So hes no good 1 on 1 against the bigger bodies, Cloke ripped him a new one. Josh Gibson is a much better FB.

FACT: Collingwood players, Pendlebury, Thomas, Swan all stayed for less money than going off to GWS for 3-4x's more.

If Zac wants to go, then go, the team will be fine.

Cloke kicked 3 goals on him, as he did on all the bigger FB. Cloke destroyed everyone this year. Whats the point in comparing Gibson to Dawson? Pods killed Gibson yet didnt kick goals on Dawson.

Pendles, Thomas, Swan did not stay for less money then they were on, they all got substantial pay rises, just not as much as they could have got if they went to GWS. Remember also Pendles signed a 1 year contract, so he can see what GWS do next year and then take the money.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Still talking about this guy. The thread needs to die

Another opportunity awaits!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Moccha wrote:Still talking about this guy. The thread needs to die
Let's end this now...
For the closing ceremony here's some music from the doors (Daws?) - the end.

Add thou not unto this thread, lest we reprove thee !

fingers
Saintsational Legend

So this thread is over now?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:So this thread is over now?
nearly over

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6187089350

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
fingers wrote:So this thread is over now?
nearly over

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6187089350
Shame other clubs aren't interested in him, it would be good to make Fremental at least use a decent pick on him…

I thought Addam Maric was a decent player?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It will also include a likely match-up of former Saints teammates -- full-back Zac Dawson against either Nick Riewoldt or Justin Koschitzke.

:shock:

The Saints are expected to announce a number of contract extensions this week for Sean Dempster, Brett Peake and Farren Ray. Jason Blake, Dean Polo and Raphael Clarke could also stay on reduced terms.

8-)

....I actually didn't realise J Blake hadn't signed, you'd think with Zac going?

Also, couldn't any club rookie Zac if they have picks before Freo, and he could get nothing? No medical risks like the Luke Ball situation?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:It will also include a likely match-up of former Saints teammates -- full-back Zac Dawson against either Nick Riewoldt or Justin Koschitzke.

:shock:

The Saints are expected to announce a number of contract extensions this week for Sean Dempster, Brett Peake and Farren Ray. Jason Blake, Dean Polo and Raphael Clarke could also stay on reduced terms.

8-)

....I actually didn't realise J Blake hadn't signed, you'd think with Zac going?

Also, couldn't any club rookie Zac if they have picks before Freo, and he could get nothing? No medical risks like the Luke Ball situation?
I believe that the rookie draft is held after the National and Preseason drafts. So Zac will only be able to be rookied if he isn't picked up in one of the earlier drafts. I'd be pretty certain if Freo have offered him a contract they'll be taking him in the PSD at the latest.
Once Zac officially leaves I'd think that Blake may be offered a one year deal.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.