Great read on Watters - The West

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Great read on Watters - The West

Real insight into how he arrived here.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... d-reasons/

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

good read- I'm still pleased he uses the ' We'

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
westy
Club Player

Makes me very excited about next season.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Good read

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

People were worried about all the good coaches being taken and yet we got this fine young man.

For that reason I refuse to get jittery about the Assistant Coach positions.

Scott is widely admired and has contacts and a tremendous reputation.

We'll be right :wink:

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes, I think that we have a quality person and a very good communicator and footy operator in the new Coach. Well done to the Coaching Panel.

On reading the article, there are several career stints that fit well with where the Saints are at the moment. It's probably the first year in a while (except 2009), that I have been excited about the year ahead. It won't be an easy year, but I have a feeling that we are in good hands.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that sainterK ..Just reinforces to me that they chose the right bloke and why we have a reason to get excited again :D

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

But we want to chase as hard as we can and we want to establish ourselves as the year unfolds as being a really hard side.
I liked that.

GoTheTorp
Club Player

I have to say that up until the final interviews i had no idea who would be best for the club, but then this guy kept popping up. A mate told me to put my money on him hes in, a very reliable source normally, he said his presentation was apparently streets ahead of the rest of the field, and so my confidence grew. I now accept that hes the best man for the job ,and Sir Robert has done the right thing by moving on so to be learning more about the game, and that he wouldnt have been wandering around the club that he bleeds for and not getting the education required to be the best coach that he wants to be. Banger will back with a vengeance in 3 yrs or so, but for now Scott Watters puts some excitement back into my veins. The assistants he hires the players he keeps or lets go, his recruiting from here on and of course his ideals make this an exciting time.

I have worked with young and older prisoners, some hard core and some who have just stepped over the line enough to regret it. You have to give them all the same amount of time and you try and instill some values in all of them, even if just a little that can be rubbed off onto them and with out playing Mother Theresa. It seems this has been a great part of Scotts learning curve into human nature and its good and very bad sides and he should be able to impart a player code of conduct that should be adhered to, behave and alls good step out of line and you wear it like a sledge hammer but we can talk it over.

Cant wait for the new era to begin 8-)

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Interesting article about Scott. I was struck by this sentence: "He's very much about collecting good ideas and working out how to deliver them to his player base. He's a very good communicator with his people." That assessment (that he "collects" good ideas) strikes me as spot on since in talking about his game plan (which in essence is to use Siposs, Cripps and Ledger to build new avenues of attack while still maintaining a strong defence) I haven't heard him say anything which I haven't heard Ross say before.

All that is fine, but my query is this. As a collector and communicator of good ideas, Scott needs someone to generate or invent those ideas for him. That is why (if reports are to be believed) he's pushing for Dean Laidley to step in as Director of Coaching. But how good is Laidley? Is he creative, or just analytical? Are his judgments reliable? Personally I haven't a clue. And I find myself continually vacillating on this question.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Those years working at the Banksia Hill Detention Centre would have been worth their weight in gold during his time at Collingwood.

Good read. Thanks.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

sounds like a really well rounded person. Hopefully will be able to bring some balance and perspective into lhe lives of some of our players and make them realise what they have got is a very special opportunity in life

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Watters sounds like a wonderful person, a good bloke, and a good leader.

Geez, I hope he can coach.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
All that is fine, but my query is this. As a collector and communicator of good ideas, Scott needs someone to generate or invent those ideas for him. That is why (if reports are to be believed) he's pushing for Dean Laidley to step in as Director of Coaching. But how good is Laidley? Is he creative, or just analytical? Are his judgments reliable? Personally I haven't a clue. And I find myself continually vacillating on this question.
Thats a big assumption.

Lyon took others ideas also - used them in another way.IF Watters can do that...that'll go along way tactically.

Right now we need more development than tactical tbh - gotta bring some kids along.

“Yeah….nah””
crippa2sipa
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:
Thats a big assumption.

Lyon took others ideas also - used them in another way.IF Watters can do that...that'll go along way tactically.

Right now we need more development than tactical tbh - gotta bring some kids along.
If Watters feels he needs Laidley to direct his coaching then surely it's to address his own perceived deficiency in the strategy and tactics department. Of course, reports that Watters is desperate to have Laidley as his Director of Coaching could be wrong - and in a way I hope they are - but if not it's fair to ask whether Laidley is any good.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:
Teflon wrote:
crippa2sipa wrote:
Thats a big assumption.

If Watters feels he needs Laidley to direct his coaching then surely it's to address his own perceived deficiency in the strategy and tactics department. Of course, reports that Watters is desperate to have Laidley as his Director of Coaching could be wrong - and in a way I hope they are - but if not it's fair to ask whether Laidley is any good.
why does Watters have to be deficient in tactics?
why coldnt him wanting Laidley be about adding to his strength in that area already - from all reports Watters is renowned for being good tactically?

I dont get why Watters has to be bad tactically just cause he may/may not want Laidley?

“Yeah….nah””
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:Watters sounds like a wonderful person, a good bloke, and a good leader.

Geez, I hope he can coach.
that last line is all that I care about as not all good blokes can coach !!!!

Let's hope with Watters that 2012 and beyond can give us the result we are all still searching for.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Who says there are any new ideas in football?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."