Tom Lynch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We dont really know if he can play????

if we were to judge most players on their first five games.....not many would have done much....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We dont really know if he can play????

if we were to judge most players on their first five games.....not many would have done much....
I'm hoping he has a wake up ala Wellingham and comes good still. He does have a good kick when in defence judged on the Nab games. Something we need.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

gringo wrote:

I'm hoping he has a wake up ala Wellingham and comes good still. He does have a good kick when in defence judged on the Nab games. Something we need.
I think the problem is that Ro$$ Lyin was playing him as a forward (which altough he was drafted as, he will not cut it there) he is better suited in defence, but im still not sold on him playing at all

Sainter for life.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

savatage wrote:Raph Clarke was taken at pick 8, do you think he would retain value at Pick 8 today?? exactly....
Your point has major flaws and is way too simple to be taken seriously. At the age of 20, after 6 games, Raph Clarke could have possibly retained a top ten pick value. The point with Lynch that I think you are missing is that his is still an unknown quantity, if he was Raph's age with Raph's # of games to his name, I'd agree with where you are coming from.

I've made the comparison with Watts heaps of times on here, but when talking about unknown potential you have to compare the two. Watts was the best fwd in the 08 draft, has subsequently played 40 games. Fair to say he showed very little in his first 25-30 but he was given consistent games even when he looked poor. Lynch was regarded as second best fwd in that draft, has played just 6 games and shown pretty good form in the magoos.

Most fwds, unless they are freaks like Roo or Darling, wont come in and star from game one. We seem to give ruckman a good 5 years to really come into their own, but a KPP doesn't ever get a fair amount of time to show their wares. The only players we can really expect to play good consistent footy straight away are usually kids under 190cm.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
savatage
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:
savatage wrote:Raph Clarke was taken at pick 8, do you think he would retain value at Pick 8 today?? exactly....
Your point has major flaws and is way too simple to be taken seriously. At the age of 20, after 6 games, Raph Clarke could have possibly retained a top ten pick value. The point with Lynch that I think you are missing is that his is still an unknown quantity, if he was Raph's age with Raph's # of games to his name, I'd agree with where you are coming from.

I've made the comparison with Watts heaps of times on here, but when talking about unknown potential you have to compare the two. Watts was the best fwd in the 08 draft, has subsequently played 40 games. Fair to say he showed very little in his first 25-30 but he was given consistent games even when he looked poor. Lynch was regarded as second best fwd in that draft, has played just 6 games and shown pretty good form in the magoos.

Most fwds, unless they are freaks like Roo or Darling, wont come in and star from game one. We seem to give ruckman a good 5 years to really come into their own, but a KPP doesn't ever get a fair amount of time to show their wares. The only players we can really expect to play good consistent footy straight away are usually kids under 190cm.
Not my point once again.

My simple point is - IF we are RIGHT NOW trading Tom Lynch, you couldn't expect him to fetch any higher than a second rounder.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Another out-of-contract Saint, Tom Lynch, a first-round draft selection, wants to move to Adelaide, with the Crows and Saints negotiating a deal. St Kilda is only interested in trading for draft picks - wanting a second round draft selection for Lynch - and not players due to its tight salary cap.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/thre ... z1aZXsXglO

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Another out-of-contract Saint, Tom Lynch, a first-round draft selection, wants to move to Adelaide, with the Crows and Saints negotiating a deal. St Kilda is only interested in trading for draft picks - wanting a second round draft selection for Lynch - and not players due to its tight salary cap.

Three clubs chasing Walsh. We better get him signed !

Richter
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Another out-of-contract Saint, Tom Lynch, a first-round draft selection, wants to move to Adelaide, with the Crows and Saints negotiating a deal. St Kilda is only interested in trading for draft picks - wanting a second round draft selection for Lynch - and not players due to its tight salary cap.

Can't see us getting a 2nd rounder tbh. 3rd round at best.... though lets hope that Pelchen can work some magic!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Tom Lynch is contracted. Tweeted Emma Quayle (who didnt write the Saints part) that i was 99% sure he was and she looked into it and confirmed that he is contracted...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:
gringo wrote:

I think the problem is that Ro$$ Lyin was playing him as a forward (which altough he was drafted as, he will not cut it there) he is better suited in defence, but im still not sold on him playing at all
i don't know about that.

according to lyon, the whole team was best suited to defence. we never gave him an extended try in the forward line in the vfl either.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I was never a supporter of Lynch, for reasons that several other Posters have noted - skills not up to a good AFL standard.

If we trade him, let's get the best pick and move on. However, the Draft is not great this year, so the pressure will be on the Recruiters to make sure that we can get better than what we lose - pretty simple in theory, but not so easy to execute !

spert
Saintsational Legend

I look at our list and really the best I can do for Lynch is as a backman who can take a good pack grab, but he has slow recovery when he loses the ball. Walsh may be OK as a forward, but from what I saw at Sandy, he would need to step up quite a big notch to cement a senior berth, though I think he could come up with the right coaching and should be persisted with.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

We should honestly keep Lynch and delist Raph, playing Lynch in his possie and freeing up salary cap space - oh wait, we probably signed Raph to a 5 year deal this year did we like we did with Leigh Fisher? Lynch is worth so much more to our club on our list instead of a pick 50 in a weak draft.

Play Walsh up forward instead of Gamble. Fwdline of;

Siposs Roo Schneids
Walsh Kosi/Mac Milne

Am I missing something here?

Strength through Loyalty
SaintSimmo
Club Player

St Ick wrote:We should honestly keep Lynch and delist Raph, playing Lynch in his possie and freeing up salary cap space - oh wait, we probably signed Raph to a 5 year deal this year did we like we did with Leigh Fisher? Lynch is worth so much more to our club on our list instead of a pick 50 in a weak draft.

Siposs Roo Schneids
Walsh Kosi/Mac Milne

IMO Raph and Lynch are no good at AFL level.

However, i don't mind your forward line but i would think Walsh would play at FF with Kosi and Mac rotating between ruck and bench and if Walsh comes off put Kosi at FF and Macca in the ruck.

A forward line with Roo, Kosi/Mac and Walsh is too tall.

Sainter for life.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SaintSimmo wrote:
St Ick wrote:We should honestly keep Lynch and delist Raph, playing Lynch in his possie and freeing up salary cap space - oh wait, we probably signed Raph to a 5 year deal this year did we like we did with Leigh Fisher? Lynch is worth so much more to our club on our list instead of a pick 50 in a weak draft.

Siposs Roo Schneids
Walsh Kosi/Mac Milne

IMO Raph and Lynch are no good at AFL level.

However, i don't mind your forward line but i would think Walsh would play at FF with Kosi and Mac rotating between ruck and bench and if Walsh comes off put Kosi at FF and Macca in the ruck.

A forward line with Roo, Kosi/Mac and Walsh is too tall.
You might be right about Lynch, but he hasn't had the chance to prove himself if he can or cant make it at that level which I think its not fair to right him off just yet.

I agree it does look a little top heavy but they are all different types of talls. I suppose that Kosi/Mac spot can easily be a rotating spot with Steven, Goddard, Lynch, Armitage, Dal, Joey, Gilbert, anyone really depending on matchups, even Dawson showed vs Carlton he could pop up there.

Edit: might want to add Saad in there somehow too.

Strength through Loyalty
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

In other talks, Richmond was closer to securing Adelaide ruckman Ivan Maric, with the Crows to receive former first-round draft pick Tom Lynch from St Kilda and the Saints to take the Tigers' pick 37.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... z1afSp9CwP

That would give us picks 25, 37, 42, 60, 78 & 96

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't seem like much for a guy who hasn't had opportunity, though if he wants to go, best to get something.

If we can keep Walsh, I'd feel more comfortable with Tom's desire to go.

saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Doesn't seem like much for a guy who hasn't had opportunity, though if he wants to go, best to get something.

If we can keep Walsh, I'd feel more comfortable with Tom's desire to go.
I'd be ok with them swapping him for a second round pick. 37 seems ok considering he wants to go. he's in contract, wouldn't be on much, but will save us some money at least.
Agree we have to keep Walsh

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
In other talks, Richmond was closer to securing Adelaide ruckman Ivan Maric, with the Crows to receive former first-round draft pick Tom Lynch from St Kilda and the Saints to take the Tigers' pick 37.

Hang on, if Adelaide wouldn't accept pick 37 for Ivan Maric but are happy to accept Tom Lynch for him then it's obvious that Lynch is worth more than pick 37, hence we'd be getting ripped. Am I missing something here?

saintnick12
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

If Adelaide wouldn't accept pick 37 for Ivan Maric but are happy to accept Tom Lynch for him then it's obvious that Lynch is worth more than pick 37, hence we'd be getting ripped. Am I missing something here?
Adelaide wants players as they have lost a few already and don't want too many picks in a shallow draft...need a few players with a few years under their belts. Saints need prefer the pick if trading out cos it will save money (the player recruited with pick 37 will be on less than Lynch). Not that Lynch would be on much mind you, but there will be a saving to be made with this trade

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I still think Lynch is worth more. As he is contracted I hope we push for more and if it isn't forthcoming, then I hope we say 'no deal' and keep Tom.

There are lots of players who would be on more money than Lynch that I would rather lose. Jack Watts looked too slow for AFL when he first started, the boy just needs time to show what he has.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I see no point in trading Lynch for pick 37 in a massively compromised draft. If we do trade him for a pick we should at least get one in the 20's.

groupie1
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:BECAUSE HE IS S***!!!

I have seen him play at sandy, looks like a solid vfl player.

Bring him up to the big league, looks slow, indecisive, and doesn't have great skills under pressure.

I would take any half decent offer we get for him, or we could use him to buffer up a trade.
That's a bit hard. I would like to have seen him put about 6 - 8 consecutive games together.
It's true. He's bollocks. Possibly the slowest player listed at any club. Hesitant, slow, occasionally nice disposal and rarely gets the ball. Can't mark overhead with any heat on him.
And the salary cap argument still works. If you're a hundred grand over the salary cap you don't need to trade Nick Reiwoldt. You need be trade someone on $101,000.
We got pick 37 for him. May not use it.
But pick 37 plus Gram for a slightly higher pick might be a possible move.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

According to SEN Lynch is in Adelaide (or has been) to do a medical check.

defacto
Club Player

HitTheBoundary wrote:According to SEN Lynch is in Adelaide (or has been) to do a medical check.
we are getting insanely ripped off if the trade ends at that. if we then use pick 37 for something to make the trade better then i'm for it. if not were making a decision that could bite us in the ass later on