the great man - harves

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: the great man - harves

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
saint66au wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I just hope that if harves doesn't get the job it is handled well and there is no fall out with the club or any bad vibes.

I know it sounds unlikely but this is the saints remember.
as expected saints managed to mis-handle this one.
Where's the proof they've mishandled this Con?

Yes it appears he hasn't got the job. And it appears he's upset he didn't get the job.

Everything else is conjecture.
Some people can sniff out a reason to bash the Club at 100 paces
what are you weirdos talking about.
you seem to not be able to distinguish between the "decision process" and the "legend mgt issue".
I am also not bashing at all. I just said I feared this may not end well - which was totally spot on.
FFS.
I am not saying we mishandled the decision process ( i have made numerous posts saying how impressed i was with the the panel etc etc).
I am saying there was always a danger there would be a bruised ego and an upset legend at the end of it.
I have no idea how it could have been avoided - (but i have low emotional intelligence and im not a psychologist or a buddhist monk). all i did was point out that this situation may transpire for a less than optimum result/outcome.
if people cant understand that aspect then thats their problem not mine.
Maybe it's something to do with the pompousness of your post Con :wink:
Con Gorozidis wrote:as expected saints managed to mis-handle this one.
hardly pompous when i said i could not have done any better. just saying i was concerned this would be the fall out and noone is to blame.
egos as we all know are delicate little petals and noses and knickers can easilt be caught in knots.
Well you were responding to your own post in a sort of "I told you so manner".

Could have been seen as a little bit pompous, petal :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure (if reports are correct) that there would've been a way for Harvey to be declined the job and for him to remain at the club and on good terms... I thought and said at the time that making him interim coach could be a problem too.

Robert Harvey is not the sort of man to spit the dummy without good cause.

Let's just watch this space....

mcadam05
Club Player

I Like the idea of him applying for the Sandy job

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 1lj5q.html

ST KILDA legend Robert Harvey could turn his back on the club after failing to make the Saints' senior coaching shortlist, just weeks after being appointed caretaker to the position following Ross Lyon's shock departure.

As the collateral damage in the wake of Lyon's resignation continues, Harvey is understood to have been bitterly disappointed at not reaching the final stage of the St Kilda coaching process.

The Age understands that Collingwood is at least one club keen to secure Harvey's services. The Magpies under new coach Nathan Buckley could be one assistant down should Scott Watters win the last senior AFL coaching post for 2012.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... z1aXDVFtSd

For mine , if Harves wants a shot at it , give it to him , he has earned that. I see after all the crap the club went thru last year it would be a good thing to keep members from turning their backs ,,, yes , a revival like Hirdy ,,

Harves walks on the club for not being given a chance ,, watch the membership fall ,,
If he goes to Collingwood , watch the membership plummet.

What will be next from this club ?
Dave Robicheaux
Club Player

This will not necessarilly come to pass 8-)

Y'all better blow it off now
savatage
SS Life Member

mcadam05 wrote:I Like the idea of him applying for the Sandy job
I think that would be a great way to roll up the sleeves & be in charge of your own team...if he harbours serious ambition to coach at the highest level - why not look at this option?

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I'm a sentimentalist, and now that he doesn't have the job, I'm quite disappointed. There is no depths to the excitement Banger as senior coach would have generated. He may be as good a coach as he was a player. Also to see Voss as coach of Brisbane, Hird as coach of Essendon, and Harvey as coach of St.Kilda would be a marvelous thing. And I reckon the unassuming, humble Harvey would outdo Hird and Buckley as a coach just as he did as a player.

BUT

On the other hand, we may well have dodged a bullet. If all he has is a bit of a bruised ego, then thats better than him taking on the job and ending up getting sacked because he's still not quite ready to coach.

I say, assuming and hoping he stays and doesn't go to Collingscum as suggested by Caro, keep him as an assistant, groom him toward a senior coaching role, and ear-mark him as the next senior coach of the Saints. At the end of Watters/Hinkley/Richardson reign we have a succession plan where Harvs smoothly comes in to the top job.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
PJ
SS Life Member

I think from Harves perspective he needs to get out from under the saints banner or people will always question his bona fides. If he's serious about being an AFL coach then he needs to get more experience and in different situations.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
philtee
Club Player

Surely it is the duty of the coaching selection panel and the StKFC Board to appoint the best person for the job - period.
If they believe that other candidates are better than Harvey then so be it. Appointing favourite sons or gun players is no
guarantee of success - see Watson, Voss, Bartlett etc.

It is a ruthless business - Lyon's defection is the latest example of that - the selection panel needs judgement
unclouded by misty-eyed sentiment for "a top bloke" with just three years as Asst Coach.

The supporters that would become members simply because Harvey became Coach would, in my mind, be the first ones
to drop off should the season start 1-6. You know the type - they're the ones who threaten to "tear up their membership" when things go sour.

Finally, if Caro's story is true (unlikely), and Harvey does walk because he didn't get the job, then did he truly have the
loyalty to StKFC that we all deem to be essential, that so many were saying was missing in Ross Lyon's decision to depart.

markp
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:Surely it is the duty of the coaching selection panel and the StKFC Board to appoint the best person for the job - period.
If they believe that other candidates are better than Harvey then so be it. Appointing favourite sons or gun players is no

It is a ruthless business - Lyon's defection is the latest example of that - the selection panel needs judgement
unclouded by misty-eyed sentiment for "a top bloke" with just three years as Asst Coach.

The supporters that would become members simply because Harvey became Coach would, in my mind, be the first ones
to drop off should the season start 1-6. You know the type - they're the ones who threaten to "tear up their membership" when things go sour.

Finally, if Caro's story is true (unlikely), and Harvey does walk because he didn't get the job, then did he truly have the
loyalty to StKFC that we all deem to be essential
, that so many were saying was missing in Ross Lyon's decision to depart.
:roll:

There aint a person alive whose blood flows more red white and black, or who has selflessly given more for the club than Harvs. Period.

Maybe they appointed him as interim coach in a blind panic to appease the masses, without fully thinking it through?

Maybe they handled his non-appointment to the permanent gig clumsily and disrespectfully?

If the story is true... and I've heard it only scratches the surface... it's a disgrace.

The issue is not him missing out on the job, it's how they handled it... and if Harvey walks out because he feels insulted, then the gumby who is responsible needs to follow.

I pray it's all either false, or a misunderstanding that can and will be sorted out.

bendigo bob
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:Just because the decision to announce a "caretaker" coach was taken doesn't mean that the board have to then APPOINT the "caretaker" (or do we get into the whole "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" type of "process"( :roll: ) again????) How professional would THAT be? :roll:
Well spoken on SEN this morning Dave. I particularly liked the line
"That lying bastard Lyon" even if they did say you sounded like Ringo Star :lol: :lol: :lol:

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
PJ
SS Life Member

philtee wrote:Surely it is the duty of the coaching selection panel and the StKFC Board to appoint the best person for the job - period.

loyalty to StKFC that we all deem to be essential, that so many were saying was missing in Ross Lyon's decision to depart.
Agree with this - nothing will change harves standing at the club as a player - and by the way I'm sick of people bleeding for the club, they should go to the Red cross immediately and give it there.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Megsie
Club Player

Great. Harves takes a knockback as a deliberate go at him then chooses
to run elswhere perhaps to his mate MAX at the pies.

I'm FED UP......fed up with this bloody sh*t coming from people whoever
they may be.

Can we please find peace & harmony for once......pleeeese.

savatage
SS Life Member

"The Age understands...the Age Understands"...blah blah....

Aside from the melodramatic opening - everything sounded pretty reasonable & respectful from both parties in that article.

Let it play out however it needs to play out. Maybe Harvey wants to fine tune his coaching at other clubs or maybe he stays & gets that experience at his spiritual home.

As usual up in arms about no issue.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

wow!
a bulls*** article based on nothing other than a person being disappointed they didn't get a job they applied for.
if being disappointed means we're a good chance to leave, no marriage would last a year.
absolute garbage story, and off go the worriers and the stirrers, swallowing it and giving it life.

nowhere does it offer any evidence harvey is considering leaving. nowhere does it offer evidence collingwood is interested.
it is vapour.
blow it away.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
gringo
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:wow!
a bulls*** article based on nothing other than a person being disappointed they didn't get a job they applied for.
if being disappointed means we're a good chance to leave, no marriage would last a year.
absolute garbage story, and off go the worriers and the stirrers, swallowing it and giving it life.

nowhere does it offer any evidence harvey is considering leaving. nowhere does it offer evidence collingwood is interested.
it is vapour.
blow it away.
But I'm sure the meeting really went "sorry Rob we feel you just needed a little more time in the system before taking a senior role" to which Rob tips the table over and says "f$#@ this s***... I'm going to somewhere with some f$#@ing class. " Or maybe that was in journalist land?

savatage
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
desertsaint wrote:wow!

it is vapour.
blow it away.
But I'm sure the meeting really went "sorry Rob we feel you just needed a little more time in the system before taking a senior role" to which Rob tips the table over and says "f$#@ this s***... I'm going to somewhere with some f$#@ing class. " Or maybe that was in journalist land?
Haha it's like a Homer Simpson flashback that never happened...brilliant...I can picture Caro at her desk doing that...

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

LOL it's all like my marriage and any subsequent relationship I've had since.

Just when you think things may go smoothly, one partner almost feels obligated to create a situation that will bring unwanted attention to the said relationship, thus creating an everlasting wave of friction.

It's almost like we thrive on drama.

Yet ultimately get nowhere...

:? :? :?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:I Like the idea of him applying for the Sandy job
Brad Gotch will probably get that job.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The coaching selection panel will get us the best coach for the job- if it is not Harvs, then someone else. We want success and the next premiership, but if Harvs did apply for the position and was not up to the criteria, then it makes it a hard for him to hang around. If I was Harvs I would look for a senior coaching gig with a regional club to build up his CV.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

markp wrote:

There aint a person alive whose blood flows more red white and black, or who has selflessly given more for the club than Harvs. Period.

Maybe they appointed him as interim coach in a blind panic to appease the masses, without fully thinking it through?

Maybe they handled his non-appointment to the permanent gig clumsily and disrespectfully?

If the story is true... and I've heard it only scratches the surface... it's a disgrace.

The issue is not him missing out on the job, it's how they handled it... and if Harvey walks out because he feels insulted, then the gumby who is responsible needs to follow.

I pray it's all either false, or a misunderstanding that can and will be sorted out.
What he said ,,

What will be next from this club ?
saintly
Saintsational Legend

VietNam_Saint wrote:
markp wrote:

What he said ,,
cr*p, if you read the article it says that pelcin etc told him what he needed to work, told him that the saints would help him get there. if he is insulted that he didn't get the job, boo hoo for him.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
VietNam_Saint wrote:
markp wrote:

What he said ,,
cr*p, if you read the article it says that pelcin etc told him what he needed to work, told him that the saints would help him get there. if he is insulted that he didn't get the job, boo hoo for him.
Because the papers have been so accurate this year?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

IF he leaves, and I must stress the IF, it will be because he is trying to improve his credentials not because he is sh!tty at missing out. He wants a senior coaching gig and the best way is to align yourself as a senior assistant at a successful club.

I hope he stays, but i wont begrudge him if he wants to improve his future prospects.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Not what I've heard... like I said, I hope it's all a mistake or it's being sorted out.

Hird, Buckley, Voss, Ratten, all rightly treated like royalty by their clubs, and given a dream run and a very strong helping hand to the senior coaching job at their respective clubs, I think we owe as much to Banger.