Coach interviews to be held on Thursday and Friday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How do you know that teflon???
I thought I posted a quote from an article that - like the rest of us on this site, you included, is about all we have to go off.

If you are not in the game at the elite level and you and I are not we have to defer to so called experts....thats all we have.

But with Watters we do know:

1. He has caoched a side in his own right to premierships
2. He is responsible for the BEST DEFENCE in the comp. FACT.
3. He has been an assistant under arguably one of the games best coaches
4. He is coming out of the AFL most prodigious football system in Collingwood.
5. He has been strongly endorsed not only by senior coaches like Malthouse but also by Hudgton who has been at the Pies and seen him at work.
6. Hes been targetted by Freo.....why is that?...they aint chasing Ayres/Hinkley?......do they just want to reunite Watters with his WA family............OR ..............maybe he knows his cr@p and Freo have done their homework and recognise this??

Thats some of my reasoning.

Can I get your reasoning as to why Watters wont be a succesful coach?

“Yeah….nah””
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Another opportunity awaits!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6160721946
well thats just great...to be sure he's ready Gary has done a TAFE training course in coaching via the AFL.....I feel much more conident now. Seriously, if this bloke gets the nod we are screwed. Hes finished FFS.

"Ayres, a multiple Hawthorn premiership player, has refused to give up on his dream of another crack at coaching at AFL level and is completing the AFL's "high-performance" coaching course this week."

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
BigMart wrote:How do you know that teflon???
I thought I posted a quote from an article that - like the rest of us on this site, you included, is about all we have to go off.

If you are not in the game at the elite level and you and I are not we have to defer to so called experts....thats all we have.

But with Watters we do know:

1. He has caoched a side in his own right to premierships
2. He is responsible for the BEST DEFENCE in the comp. FACT.
3. He has been an assistant under arguably one of the games best coaches
4. He is coming out of the AFL most prodigious football system in Collingwood.
5. He has been strongly endorsed not only by senior coaches like Malthouse but also by Hudgton who has been at the Pies and seen him at work.
6. Hes been targetted by Freo.....why is that?...they aint chasing Ayres/Hinkley?......do they just want to reunite Watters with his WA family............OR ..............maybe he knows his cr@p and Freo have done their homework and recognise this??

Thats some of my reasoning.

Can I get your reasoning as to why Watters wont be a succesful coach?
If he has a bit of mongrel in him that would help.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

1. I thought we were discounting premierships at a lower level, because it contradicts your view on Ayres VFL premiership...which is a higher level of footy, and he did it with NO afl listed players....even Watters had AFL listed players at Subiaco for his premierships....BTW do you realise Watters took over a team that had just won 2 premierships in 3 years?? built by Peter German

2. Responsible for the best defense....it contained the 6 best defenders....did he make them the six best players....they did work well together, but they were not short on talent....however grandfinal day they were a joke...the cats fwds had a field day
Varcoe and Johnson were allowed to have too much space by unaccountable defenders
Hawkins monstered Reid and the switch was too late
Maxwell was running around like a chook with its head cut off

3. Is a valid point....As was Dean Laidley and Danny Frawley....
Being underneath someone doesnt necessarily mean you can emulate them

4. He would be going into a situation without those resources....can he manage without that at his fingertips

5. Malthouse endorses all his assistants...his an egomaniac, and is giving himself a compliment....when is the last time a coach did not endorse an assistant???

6. Freo would want people from successful clubs to bring in intell.....so hence Lyon, Sumich...etc...

As I said

Watters maybe a great coach....but WE would not know this....and niether would he...yet

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Got a feeling we will get Gavin Brown.

You heard it here first.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Lieutenant Dan still in the mix for the senior job

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/sai ... 6160690108

Image Image

noob
Club Player

At least Ayres sounds like he wants to be committed to the job. It probably will be someone from left field I assume.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Does anyone actually know what the time frame is for the coaching announcement, or is it just a vague "sometime in the next week or so"?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:Does anyone actually know what the time frame is for the coaching announcement, or is it just a vague "sometime in the next week or so"?
Most likely before round one next year.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:Does anyone actually know what the time frame is for the coaching announcement, or is it just a vague "sometime in the next week or so"?
Most likely before round one next year.
Would that be round one of the finals next year?

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:1. I thought we were discounting premierships at a lower level, because it contradicts your view on Ayres VFL premiership...which is a higher level of footy, and he did it with NO afl listed players....even Watters had AFL listed players at Subiaco for his premierships....BTW do you realise Watters took over a team that had just won 2 premierships in 3 years?? built by Peter German

Why discount lower level Premierships - if we are using it for Ayes why not Watters? regardless, of who supposedly built what at Subi Watters still had to coach the team to flags - that doesnt run on auto pilot.....werent you the one preaching about "what coaching is really all about".....???

2. Responsible for the best defense....it contained the 6 best defenders....did he make them the six best players....they did work well together, but they were not short on talent....however grandfinal day they were a joke...the cats fwds had a field day
Varcoe and Johnson were allowed to have too much space by unaccountable defenders

Nick Maxwell TODAY suggests Watters single handedly groomed the Collingwood defence, amitting they had oncerns over Reid till Watters stepped in to help shape him into a top player. Again, unless Im mistaken Maxwell HAS BEEN THERE and seen Watters at work.....or you're dismissing this as propoganda cause it debunks your other theory?
And isnt it a tad churlish to have a crack at the Pies defence on the back of 1 game? - I mean, weve also lost GFs beaten by opponents when we were supposedly the best defensive side in it. I prefer to judge Watters defensive groups performance over a season......I still reckon the Pies went ok....

Ofcourse it doesnt. It does mean though that Watters has been under a great coach IN RECENT YEARS at AFL level.....has Ayres????

4. He would be going into a situation without those resources....can he manage without that at his fingertips

Flipside - he knows what best practice resources are all about, do we? IF hes able to bring some of that IP to us....is it worth it? Can Ayres bring it from Port melbourne?????

5. Malthouse endorses all his assistants...his an egomaniac, and is giving himself a compliment....when is the last time a coach did not endorse an assistant???

Thats true - malthouse is an egomaniac so I'll pay less credence to him and more to the fact that Watters seems to be endorsed by Hudgton, Maxwell, Fremantle and now Port who all want him......they all wrong or could he know what hes doing?

6. Freo would want people from successful clubs to bring in intell.....so hence Lyon, Sumich...etc...

and now Port...? why? these clubs all do their homework...they know whose decent....why arent they botht chasing Gary Ayres???

As I said

Watters maybe a great coach....but WE would not know this....and niether would he...yet
As I said, we didnt know Ross Lyon could coach also. We do now. Thats not a reason to not select Watters - its an excuse.

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:As I said, we didnt know Ross Lyon could coach also. We do now. Thats not a reason to not select Watters - its an excuse.
Reckon we might've taken a punt on Yabbie too and that seemed to go OK :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Teflon wrote:As I said, we didnt know Ross Lyon could coach also. We do now. Thats not a reason to not select Watters - its an excuse.
Sometimes you are a real crab.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 6161570514

MICHAEL Malthouse has publicly and definitively confirmed the end of his coaching career.
He made the declaration during an impromptu interview at the Roaring Forties group's annual football luncheon in Melbourne.

As compere Ian Cover headed towards a question of his intentions post-2012, Malthouse interrupted to say: "Can I just clarify that.

"How many times do I have to say it's FOREVER?

"We get confused about next year because, all of a sudden, it (2012) bleeds into 2013. No coaching from this point."

:!:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I dont think he'll coach.

Hope helps.....a young, tactically astute coach at St Kilda in the background though.............................

“Yeah….nah””
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Yeah but he took over from Jim Francis and it wasn't hard to beat his record.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Yeah but he took over from Jim Francis and it wasn't hard to beat his record.
Perhaps not.

But he went a bit beyond that around 1966 :P

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Moccha wrote:St Kilda has Gary Ayres in mix

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6160721946
well thats just great...to be sure he's ready Gary has done a TAFE training course in coaching via the AFL.....I feel much more conident now. Seriously, if this bloke gets the nod we are screwed. Hes finished FFS.

"Ayres, a multiple Hawthorn premiership player, has refused to give up on his dream of another crack at coaching at AFL level and is completing the AFL's "high-performance" coaching course this week."

that 6 times now...or is it 7....we're on fire ffs..... :wink: :wink: 8-) 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

From what i hear watters didnt apply for any of the other recent coaching position....so its not like hes benn rejected numerous times like hinkley.

Does anyone know why he didnt apply for the other positions?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Got a feeling we will get Gavin Brown.

You heard it here first.
We heard it here but it was hardly first

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:From what i hear watters didnt apply for any of the other recent coaching position....so its not like hes benn rejected numerous times like hinkley.

he only wants to coach a side that has a good chance of winning the flag?????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Old Mate wrote:From what i hear watters didnt apply for any of the other recent coaching position....so its not like hes benn rejected numerous times like hinkley.

he only wants to coach a side that has a good chance of winning the flag?????
Then why did he apply for the Saints job.....anyway.....

Richardson is a monty

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:1. I thought we were discounting premierships at a lower level, because it contradicts your view on Ayres VFL premiership...which is a higher level of footy, and he did it with NO afl listed players....even Watters had AFL listed players at Subiaco for his premierships....BTW do you realise Watters took over a team that had just won 2 premierships in 3 years?? built by Peter German

As I said

Maybe his coaching after a side won 2 premierships in 3 years could be like us getting two 3 gf in 2 years but only like a successful version of us. If he takes over and gets us one I'll take it -go the Watters.

Maybe Ross who doesn't like others to input their ideas will freak out now that freos board is stacking the assistant roles with people that may help them cover their arses. Roos will be in the media complaining about how untenable the whole place is.

Gary ayres should be ruled out because every time his name is mentioned I think of the crazy Pam Ayres poetry woman with the f%$#ed up accent.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Got a feeling we will get Gavin Brown.

You heard it here first.
why? sauce?

“Yeah….nah””