Pre season experiments

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Pre season experiments

Seeing it's the silly (sillier?) season, I was wondering what experiments people would like to see in the preseason.
Obviously "play the kids", "Tommy Walsh" etc, but in regards to some of the regular players, what are your thoughts on positional changes that may work?

I saw in another thread it was suggested to try Schneider in the backline as a Leon Davis type - which I like.

I would also like to see the following trialled:

Raph as a forward. Long arms, can take a mark, came to the club as a forward, let him be creative with less chance of giving us a heart attack.

Geary as a forward. In his earlier games he could take a mark and kick goals, and has a bit of mongrel. A mini Hamill.

Stanley at centre half back. Give him the ball, tell him to run.

Riewoldt as a wingman, if his form from last year continues.

Armitage on a half back flank, if he is squeezed out of the center by Lenny's return.

Thoughts?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

i like stanley in the back line

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Al Smith as a back pocket / small defender

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintjake
Club Player

Re: Pre season experiments

Geary as a forward. In his earlier games he could take a mark and kick goals, and has a bit of mongrel. A mini Hamill.

A much, much, much smaller Hamill :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Geary as a forward. In his earlier games he could take a mark and kick goals, and has a bit of mongrel. A mini Hamill.

With much, much, much better legs :wink:

noob
Club Player

simpkin in the forward line

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

A totally new, never seen before, game plan that is high scoring but at the same time very defensive that no one can unpick until 2014 :) :)

Oh, and, Tommy Walsh at Full Forward. :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Oh, and, Tommy Walsh at Full Forward. :)
The rest will take care of itself my friend 8-)

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:A totally new, never seen before, game plan that is high scoring but at the same time very defensive that no one can unpick until 2014 :) :)

Oh, and, Tommy Walsh at Full Forward. :)
+1

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

How about something really out there..like an attacking game plan :shock:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

saint patrick wrote:How about something really out there..like an attacking game plan :shock:
Now that's REALLY crazy talk.

:shock:

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
saint patrick wrote:How about something really out there..like an attacking game plan :shock:
Now that's REALLY crazy talk.

:shock:
Yeh sorry guys....What the hell was I thinking !!! :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Raph as a foward

at South Adelaide

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Geary as a forward. In his earlier games he could take a mark and kick goals, and has a bit of mongrel. A mini Hamill.

Hamill was solid but not that tall. Geary probably isn't that much shorter but needs a little more bulk to make defenders crap them selves.

savatage
SS Life Member

Geary is taller than Hammer! Actually no, I think they're both 184! Amazing that Hamill played where he did really!

Geary definitely used to have the confidence to run, bounce, take them on & kicked some really nice goals on the run early on...then it seemed he got re-invented into a half back & it seemed that any flair or creativity he had was wiped out.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Geary is taller than Hammer! Actually no, I think they're both 184! Amazing that Hamill played where he did really!

Geary definitely used to have the confidence to run, bounce, take them on & kicked some really nice goals on the run early on...then it seemed he got re-invented into a half back & it seemed that any flair or creativity he had was wiped out.
I only knew Hamill wasn't that tall because I met him down Bay street one day and I thought I might be a bit taller than him at 6'2"- not sure if he actually was shorter or just looked it though. When i saw Milney a few years ago I was actually surprised by how tall he is, I thought he would be 5'2" or something. Not too many real super short players around these days I guess.

savatage
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
savatage wrote:Geary is taller than Hammer! Actually no, I think they're both 184! Amazing that Hamill played where he did really!

I only knew Hamill wasn't that tall because I met him down Bay street one day and I thought I might be a bit taller than him at 6'2"- not sure if he actually was shorter or just looked it though. When i saw Milney a few years ago I was actually surprised by how tall he is, I thought he would be 5'2" or something. Not too many real super short players around these days I guess.
It's amazing how tall we perceive someone to be in real life based on what we see on the football field. I might be a touch taller than Milney!

Hammer would be 6 foot on the dot...just his competitive nature & strength made him succeed at his position.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
gringo wrote:

It's amazing how tall we perceive someone to be in real life based on what we see on the football field. I might be a touch taller than Milney!

Hammer would be 6 foot on the dot...just his competitive nature & strength made him succeed at his position.
A mates cousins played footy at Caulfield Grammar with BJ and said at school footy he was key position sized but laughed that he is only midfield sized in the AFL. Some players just look taller because of build though I remember someone said Dempster wasn't that short but from a distance he looks it.

savatage
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
savatage wrote:
gringo wrote:

A mates cousins played footy at Caulfield Grammar with BJ and said at school footy he was key position sized but laughed that he is only midfield sized in the AFL. Some players just look taller because of build though I remember someone said Dempster wasn't that short but from a distance he looks it.
Technically BJ is KP size though - it's just that he's too damned good in the midfield...or half back...or... :)

Isn't Dempster like a cm shorter than Roo??

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Get Kosi back to CHB where he won the Rising Star...
Get Tom Walsh into team as a key forward.
Yes try Rhys as a backman.

Recruit some speedy youngsters to go with last years lot.
Draft a couple of young ruckmen. even if one is a rookie.
Get Roo fit again.
And try that young bloke Lenny something on the ball!

To the top
SS Life Member

My information is that Walsh will play as a defender (full back?).

I recall (I think against NM at Docklands) Stanley being put to CHB for the last quarter and performing well - with work on the second efforts he could well be a revelation as a key defender.

I would like to see Goddard as a focal forward - pushing Riewoldt to full forward and Koschitzke playing where he is most suited - as a utility player/back up ruckman.

We really need another 192cm natural forward - and this is where Cahill comes in.

Past that, Smith in the run with role or as the small defender plus Cripps, Sippos and Ledger all looking for the support forward positions around Goddard, Riewoldt and Cahill.

Those promoting the likes of Geary - precisely why when we have the likes of Cripps, Siposs and Ledger (for starters) to promote this year?

As I put somewhere else, a progression to:-

Fisher Walsh Gilbert
Clarke Stanley Gwilt
Ledger Hayes Dal Santo
Cahill Goddard Cripps
Sippos Riewoldt Steven
McEvoy Smith Montagna
Gram Koschitzke Armitage Ray

would really position us if it came to fruition on form.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:My information is that Walsh will play as a defender (full back?)
Not doubting your information however I would've thought the new coach would have some say in that and he hasn't been appointed yet :?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Stanley too could be a chance as Full Back. G Train came to us as a FB...If anything it will probably help him learn down back and it may fast track his development as a long term FF.

Raph and Zac need to compete for their positions. I reckon we have to give some other players a chance to see if they can do a better job down back. I like the idea of Walsh as a defender too.

Geary as a permanent crumbing forward sounds like a great idea as well as one or two other guys to be given the role of goal kicking mid-fielder...In any case the new coach shouldn't be afraid to rotate the guys throughout the year and plan to get as many games as possible into the younger blokes and rookies.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:My information is that Walsh will play as a defender (full back?).

I recall (I think against NM at Docklands) Stanley being put to CHB for the last quarter and performing well - with work on the second efforts he could well be a revelation as a key defender.

I would like to see Goddard as a focal forward - pushing Riewoldt to full forward and Koschitzke playing where he is most suited - as a utility player/back up ruckman.

We really need another 192cm natural forward - and this is where Cahill comes in.

Past that, Smith in the run with role or as the small defender plus Cripps, Sippos and Ledger all looking for the support forward positions around Goddard, Riewoldt and Cahill.

Those promoting the likes of Geary - precisely why when we have the likes of Cripps, Siposs and Ledger (for starters) to promote this year?

Fisher Walsh Gilbert
Clarke Stanley Gwilt
Ledger Hayes Dal Santo
Cahill Goddard Cripps
Sippos Riewoldt Steven
McEvoy Smith Montagna

would really position us if it came to fruition on form.
People cannot even take you slightly seriously when there is no Milne and Cahill is in your side. Are you a practicing clown? By the way that side finishes in the bottom 4. Smith as a RR is nearly as funny as Cahill as HFF. God help you.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:My information is that Walsh will play as a defender (full back?).

Fisher Walsh Gilbert
Clarke Stanley Gwilt
Ledger Hayes Dal Santo
Cahill Goddard Cripps
Sippos Riewoldt Steven
McEvoy Smith Montagna
Interesting side - no Jones, Dawson, Schneider, Dempster, Peake, Milne, and Blake - who were in the starting 22 most weeks in 2011.
I know you said progression, but that's a lot of changes - maybe these others are in your expanded I/C bench.....
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Fri 07 Oct 2011 10:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock: