Rumour Malthouse to sign with Saints on Wednesday (Ch 7)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:and we always loved MM, when he cries its because he has passion, and his style has always been misunderstood right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
agree dan, very misunderstood, these ppl that call him Mick shithouse, oops that was me :shock:
I have a fear that at a club with no support network and doping program, he may just be a Wizard of Oz. All facade built on the highly paid support staff. Still if he gets Buttifant to come down and dope our players might be good, Rhys stanley with arms the size of Stewie Loewes calves sounds alright.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

took MM 10 years for collingwoods premiership.

I"m willing to wait.

people are expecting him to wave his wand.

there were a few bottom out years as well.

Do you have the patience?

01/02 s*** 07/08 emerging from the mire.
Last edited by Dan Warna on Sun 02 Oct 2011 9:54am, edited 1 time in total.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It won't happen

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:and we always loved MM, when he cries its because he has passion, and his style has always been misunderstood right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
agree dan, very misunderstood, these ppl that call him Mick shithouse, oops that was me :shock:
I have a fear that at a club with no support network and doping program, he may just be a Wizard of Oz. All facade built on the highly paid support staff. Still if he gets Buttifant to come down and dope our players might be good, Rhys stanley with arms the size of Stewie Loewes calves sounds alright.
I dont thinke the pies players have been doped but I reckon someone has.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:What about the "process", interviews etc?
Exactly. We are NOT Essendon !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:
fingers wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:If all the rumours are true, well have about 5 joint senior coaches.

Radical 8-)
Like co-captains - maybe we are going with co-coaches.
Maybe a coach rotation policy instead?
One for the rules committee perhaps? I like the idea of having one coach sit outside the box, gagged and wearing a green fluoro bib, until he comes into the game with new ideas around 3/4 time, when one of the older or more tired coaches comes out of the box.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:took MM 10 years for collingwoods premiership.

I"m willing to wait.

people are expecting him to wave his wand.

there were a few bottom out years as well.

Do you have the patience?

01/02 s*** 07/08 emerging from the mire.
We might be in the "mire" for another 10 years or more whoever we choose as our next coach. Lots of factors will contribute to how we go in the next few years: the role of the coach will be only a part of that story.

Malthouse has shown he can coach successfully at AFL level and - even though his side didn't win yesterday - I can't see any clear signs that he has lost this ability: quite the opposite.

That makes him a credible choice for the role: more so than the untried like Watters, Tudor, Hinkley, etc.
Last edited by meher baba on Sun 02 Oct 2011 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:And clearly the 3 time premiership coach, the best in the business, will take on the job at $300,000 p.a. :P

Can't see it happening.
Sorry, I've obviously missed something somewhere along the way. Why would we only be paying him $300k per annum?
I made it up.

But the point is, everything suggests we're not looking to appoint a coach who would command the highest salary in the AFL.

And don't forget his contract with Collingwood for 2012. Eddie's not going to just tear that up some expect to add a few hundred thousand to the overall cost of getting Mick.

Therefore, I can't see it happening.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re the Milne thing. Malthouse tried to explain that away as passion in the heat of the battle.

So I suppose that if he coaches us next year, and we play the Pies with Beams, Didak and Shaw in their side, he'll have a chance to prove they just weren't words. :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:It won't happen
I'm with Bob, just really can't see it happening.

Plus I do think he's been blessed with amazing resources for a long time which make it hard access his actual coaching...

In the end they lost another flag yesterday after only losing 2 games for the year, that equals failure as far as I am concerned...

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Re the Milne thing. Malthouse tried to explain that away as passion in the heat of the battle.
Yes, but that argument was made totally unconvincing by him then confessing that he had been in communication with the girl and the centre of the M&M scandal.

But, if he comes to the club, he'll surely find a way of kissing and making up with Milne. Perhaps he can get advice from Abbott and Oakeshott.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

He may have had structures, assistants, resources, etc, but the bloke has succeeded in managing and coaching footballers, and I would be esctatic if he was appointed our Coach.

As for the Milne incident, pfff, there'd be a shake of hands and forgotten. Chri*t, there not a bunch of nitpicking school girls.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:And clearly the 3 time premiership coach, the best in the business, will take on the job at $300,000 p.a. :P

Can't see it happening.
Sorry, I've obviously missed something somewhere along the way. Why would we only be paying him $300k per annum?
I made it up.

But the point is, everything suggests we're not looking to appoint a coach who would command the highest salary in the AFL.

And don't forget his contract with Collingwood for 2012. Eddie's not going to just tear that up some expect to add a few hundred thousand to the overall cost of getting Mick.

I think we'd be able to find the $$$ we need. If he really wants to come to the club, I reckon Mick might be prepared to settle for a little less than top dollar (as far as I know he hasn't had the same problems as Ross with "mining investments" and is therefore presumably loaded).

I doubt we'll ever hear anything again about Eddie's stupid contract. Rumour has it that the AFL admin have taken a very dim view of it (think about the precedent it sets with free agency coming up) and would exact some sort of retribution if the Pies try to enforce it.

- Jonathan Swift
Garibaldi
Club Player

The guy still has a hard on over being set adrift from StK all those years ago. He doesn't like us.

boo effin hoo
PJ
SS Life Member

Thought he was quoted yesterday as saying he wont coach.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Bowey Boy
Club Player

PJ wrote:Thought he was quoted yesterday as saying he wont coach.
He has not said specifically that he will not coach St Kilda...so he must be coming !!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Moods
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:If he joins us ' "he has always been a master coach"

if he doesn't "he is a liar"
:lol: Exactly

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I can't find anything to that effect on the web.

- Jonathan Swift
PJ
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:
in the age

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As much as I would like to see it, I'll believe it when and if it actually happens.
Though what might be smart is for a short term coaching job for Malthouse say 2-3 years, with a understudy like Harv's or somebody else.
Our core group of players have 1 last shot at it in my opinion, and Malthouse would be the best option to achieve it.
Of course the PR benefits for the club would be huge, players, sponsors etc would soon follow.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
meher baba wrote:
in the age
If you mean where he said he "thought" he would never coach again, but he still sometimes felt an urge in his gut to keep going, I'm afraid that's not 100% convincing. Weasel words.

There was nothing in that article that would be inconsistent with a later statement along the lines of "I thought that once the Pies put me on the scrapheap I thought nobody else would want me but then I was delighted to find that the Saints were willing to give me a go".

- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

PS. You can tell it's weasel words when you compare what was said to what might have been said, eg: "I'm retiring as a coach and definitely won't be coming back at the Pies or any other AFL club". Simple as that.

- Jonathan Swift
gringo
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Can't see it happening.
I made it up.

I think we'd be able to find the $$$ we need. If he really wants to come to the club, I reckon Mick might be prepared to settle for a little less than top dollar (as far as I know he hasn't had the same problems as Ross with "mining investments" and is therefore presumably loaded).

I doubt we'll ever hear anything again about Eddie's stupid contract. Rumour has it that the AFL admin have taken a very dim view of it (think about the precedent it sets with free agency coming up) and would exact some sort of retribution if the Pies try to enforce it.

As I have said before who would have him but us? He would have to oust someone currently contracted and risk a Lyon/ Harvey backlash. We are the only club that is openly seeking a coach, the only club that may be capable in the next couple of years of seeing him successful one more time. If he wants to coach again it has to be next year or he is gone for ever, I don't want him but he would pretty much have to take what he could get. $300 000 looks alright compared to special comments at channel 7.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

This smacks of the ill-conceived Blight saga where he basically came for the money.

MM will be coming only to piss the filth off because they wanted to get rid of him.

He will be coaching us for all the WRONG reasons.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Can't see it happening.
I made it up.

As I have said before who would have him but us? He would have to oust someone currently contracted and risk a Lyon/ Harvey backlash. We are the only club that is openly seeking a coach, the only club that may be capable in the next couple of years of seeing him successful one more time. If he wants to coach again it has to be next year or he is gone for ever, I don't want him but he would pretty much have to take what he could get. $300 000 looks alright compared to special comments at channel 7.
As if he would coach for 300K. He is a 800K coach and he isnt going to do us any favours as regrd to salary. He will not coach us you would think but we must approach him.