on the couch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

13 recycled players since 2007 season have played

Since 2006 draft...picks traded

Pick 43, 59 2006

Pick 26 2007

Pick 31 2008

Pick 16, 48 2009

Recycled players picked up with Draft Picks

2006 Matthew Ferguson

2007 Fraser Gehrig

2008 Colm Begley

2009 Jesse Smith, Adam Pattison

2010 Ryan Gamble, Dean Polo

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:13 recycled players since 2007 season have played

Since 2006 draft...picks traded

Pick 43, 59 2006

Pick 26 2007

Pick 31 2008

Pick 16, 48 2009

Recycled players picked up with Draft Picks

2006 Matthew Ferguson

2007 Fraser Gehrig

2008 Colm Begley

2009 Jesse Smith, Adam Pattison

2010 Ryan Gamble, Dean Polo
It's all hindsight but re drafting G was a big mistake. We really didn't need him and we should have drafted Barlow who was doing pre season with us instead.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If we picked up kids with those picks.....i reckon we would have got one nice player and perhaps a godd ordinay....and 4 duds...

Thing is with a recycle....even if (big if) they are handy.....there development is minimal, as is there shelf life....
And if you play them because they are OK you stifle development of a more talented kid...

Imagine if we recruited jason laycock instead of arryn siposs with pick 75

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Quote: Mr Magic "How that can be translated by some as a 'factual' denigration of our team/players/abilities is quite puzzling to me?

But if you can provide me with the link where these are in fact Lyon's words/musings/wishes then I of course will unreservedly withdraw my critical post and jump onto the bandwagon of 'positive outlookers' as distinct to being a 'negative outlooker'."

Remembers Rossy's words when we lost to Essendon in April. Your hero was writing us off a long time before he ratted on us. The thing is - I'm glad he's gone.

Here's the link you requested:
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default ... sid=111293

With Lenny and Jim back in the team, why shouldn't we be able to challenge again. Lethal thinks we can. Lyon has done us a favour without knowing it and of coarse my use of the word 'ratted' refers more to the way he played us off and wheeled and dealed knowing fell well that he was knifing a colleague and existing contracted coach. I also never felt like the guy could inspire the team to greatness unless they motivated themselves.
Are you serious?
You make a post as if lyon has just 'bagged' our players and then when asked to provide a ;ink to the 'quote' you post this one????
From early in the season, after a bad loss?

Why not pull out quotes from 2007/2008/2009/2010?
They'd be just as relevant in the context of your nonsensical original post in this thread.

Tell the truth,
You're having a lend, aren't you?

You're not really serious about this.
Surely, it's just a joke?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He actually said in a later Freo interview, that with the right approach, Saints are still well in the mix.

Not a fan of how he left, but think it was more of a cash grab, than him suddenly thinking less of the list.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

[quote="SainterK"]He actually said in a later Freo interview, that with the right approach, Saints are still well in the mix.

quote]

u got a link to that sainter k...be interesting to hear that....

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:He actually said in a later Freo interview, that with the right approach, Saints are still well in the mix.

quote]

u got a link to that sainter k...be interesting to hear that....
Sure, I found it odd at the time, given his 'end of an era' vibe.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/ ... on-regime/

SB: Do you say that Fremantle are now at a more advanced development stage to St Kilda?

RL: I want to be really clear here, it wasn't the motivation. There was an assertion that I left because they were closer to a premiership, that wasn't the decision. I don't think they (St Kilda) are going anywhere for a little while, if it's done correctly.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Thats very interesting Sainter k.......and not widely reported...amazing isnt it?

"as long as its done correctly"....I assume "it" can only mean rejuvination not full rebuild.

gee....we become "they" quick in this game...

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Thats very interesting Sainter k.......and not widely reported...amazing isnt it?

"as long as its done correctly"....I assume "it" can only mean rejuvination not full rebuild.

many of us were shying away from reading or listening-- because there was pain associated.

also this interview

ross has shown a much greater ability to make a decision concisely- and then move around any ache than we the supporter..

we have tended not to have that luxury..- we have not had something new to focus on.. the club must take it's time and do it Right.. no snap judgements.

and I hope the players can use what Ross did teach them and move forward - Ross's untenable ' is not necessarily available to them and we as club supporters

FWIW I can see anger at one or more from the saints in some of Ross's comments, once let down he never forgave ..
and also playing amatuer phsychologist wonder if the stress of the two years was in fact a decider- whether he just found it easier to Cut the cause. start afresh...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Thats very interesting Sainter k.......and not widely reported...amazing isnt it?

Not widely reported in Melbourne perhaps, but pretty major story in the West.

Shaggy
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Scollop wrote:Quote: Mr Magic "How that can be translated by some as a 'factual' denigration of our team/players/abilities is quite puzzling to me?

But if you can provide me with the link where these are in fact Lyon's words/musings/wishes then I of course will unreservedly withdraw my critical post and jump onto the bandwagon of 'positive outlookers' as distinct to being a 'negative outlooker'."

Remembers Rossy's words when we lost to Essendon in April. Your hero was writing us off a long time before he ratted on us. The thing is - I'm glad he's gone.

Here's the link you requested:
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default ... sid=111293

With Lenny and Jim back in the team, why shouldn't we be able to challenge again. Lethal thinks we can. Lyon has done us a favour without knowing it and of coarse my use of the word 'ratted' refers more to the way he played us off and wheeled and dealed knowing fell well that he was knifing a colleague and existing contracted coach. I also never felt like the guy could inspire the team to greatness unless they motivated themselves.
Are you serious?
You make a post as if lyon has just 'bagged' our players and then when asked to provide a ;ink to the 'quote' you post this one????
From early in the season, after a bad loss?

Why not pull out quotes from 2007/2008/2009/2010?
They'd be just as relevant in the context of your nonsensical original post in this thread.

Tell the truth,
You're having a lend, aren't you?

You're not really serious about this.
Surely, it's just a joke?
RL was down on us this year imo. You may not have got that impression but I did and others did to as shown by Scollop. Maybe MM we are just all stupid.

The end of an era comment was what he believed IMO. Frankly i dont think it had much to do with Bakes, MG, Eddy and Mini finishing (otherwise we would be having an end of an era every second year).

Shaggy
Club Player

plugger66 wrote: Who said great. I said 4 GF players left the club at the end of the year. That is enough to say it is the end of an era. Geelong are going to lose about that many this year and the papers are saying that.
The papers are speculating about Milburn, Scarlett, Wojcinski, Ottens, Ling & Mooney and whether they leave this year or next. You may not understand it but that is an end of an era when they all leave.

Eddy, Mini, MG and Bakes is the not the same otherwise we would be having an end of an era every second year.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:

many of us were shying away from reading or listening-- because there was pain associated.

also this interview

ross has shown a much greater ability to make a decision concisely- and then move around any ache than we the supporter..

we have tended not to have that luxury..- we have not had something new to focus on.. the club must take it's time and do it Right.. no snap judgements.

and I hope the players can use what Ross did teach them and move forward - Ross's untenable ' is not necessarily available to them and we as club supporters

FWIW I can see anger at one or more from the saints in some of Ross's comments, once let down he never forgave ..
and also playing amatuer phsychologist wonder if the stress of the two years was in fact a decider- whether he just found it easier to Cut the cause. start afresh...
Excellent point Saintbrat, especially in the last line. As Ross said (when asked whether he reflects fondly on his time at St Kilda): "I take great heartache away with the disappointment and how close we got. There's certainly some deep scarring on a personal level. I really respect and admire their work ethic, their mental toughness and the effort that they gave to their senior coach and their members. "

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Ok, If I could I would delete my post in response to SainterK's post.

I was just trying to think out of left field.

I'm going with the mercenary idea then; deeply unethical.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

markinUSA wrote:Ok, If I could I would delete my post in response to SainterK's post.

I was just trying to think out of left field.

I'm going with the mercenary idea then; deeply unethical.
double/triple the money in almost a quick fix to save his familial situation?

i don't blame him for jumping although his career could follow an Eade or a Wallet if he does not win a flag with the Dockers.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Shaggy wrote: The papers are speculating about Milburn, Scarlett, Wojcinski, Ottens, Ling & Mooney and whether they leave this year or next. You may not understand it but that is an end of an era when they all leave.

Eddy, Mini, MG and Bakes is the not the same otherwise we would be having an end of an era every second year.
My point exactly how can our four retiring (no brand names there to write home about) feel like an end of an era .. when there are far better groups of players retiring every year or second year?
How can these four warrant a weighty comment like that ? ..the thing is they don't and RL was referring to St Kilda and giving up on us - plain and simple !

I agree with Scollop .. RL was running on empty and out of ideas.,, and was generating a negative vibe. Structures, game plans nuts and bolts aside ,, as a person, motivator, leader he does not look like someone who inspires others - he looks like someone who needs to be inspired himself and just lethargically going through the motions.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 30 Sep 2011 8:44am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Who said great. I said 4 GF players left the club at the end of the year. That is enough to say it is the end of an era. Geelong are going to lose about that many this year and the papers are saying that.
The papers are speculating about Milburn, Scarlett, Wojcinski, Ottens, Ling & Mooney and whether they leave this year or next. You may not understand it but that is an end of an era when they all leave.

Our 4 players were important to us. That is 20% of last years GF side. Of course it is an end of an era. Does only stars leaving make it an end of an era?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

plugger66 wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

Our 4 players were important to us. That is 20% of last years GF side. Of course it is an end of an era. Does only stars leaving make it an end of an era?
So important they are in the VFL !

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

So important they are in the VFL !
You just dont get it. When does end of an era mean when only great players leave. Anyway who cares about him saying that statement anyway.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Does that also mean

Because hayes, riewoldt, goddard, montagna, gram, jones, kosi, ray, fisher, gilbert, dawson, dempster, milne, schnieder, gwilt, clarke, mcevoy, dal santo.....

Have not left....that is NOT the end of an era

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

and you believe him? I wouldn't believe what he said or what any coach says in an interview.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah samoht

you just dont get it.

hurry up and catch up and get it then you can say you got it and when you lose it again you can say you had it for a while at least while you search for it...again

8-)