salary cap pressure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

salary cap pressure

So we are under salary cap pressure again with reports in the paper saying that Gilbert may be traded if the right deal comes up to release salary cap pressure.

How can we be up to the eyeballs again ? .. Its only 2 short years ago that Ball was let go which should have released a bunch of money and Lovett is not on the books either. We havent brought any new players of note in since then so who got the money ?

Is clearing room in the salary cap part of Pelchen's mandate ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
savatage
SS Life Member

Not to mention Bakes & Gardiner wouldn't have exactly been on minimum wage either...

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Usual media innuendo

Another opportunity awaits!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Not to mention Bakes & Gardiner wouldn't have exactly been on minimum wage either...
Bakes and gardiner wouldn't be that much, it would be the top 10 players

that would be the problem

goddard, hayes, reiwoldt, fisher, montagna, kosi, etc etc

savatage
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:
savatage wrote:Not to mention Bakes & Gardiner wouldn't have exactly been on minimum wage either...
Bakes and gardiner wouldn't be that much, it would be the top 10 players

that would be the problem

goddard, hayes, reiwoldt, fisher, montagna, kosi, etc etc
They'd be on enough to make a difference in addition to the other players delisted or fired in the past...I don't think our cap is in any poor position.

Even our beloved ex coach said we had room when he spoke of chasing a forward from another club not long ago.

If a Farrey Ray is on 350K (which I strongly doubt)....then cool, trade off - make room - no major drama.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

after being in 3 grand finals in 2 years, the players who had the contract up for renewal in those days would have had their salaries increased by alot.

as a result, just like essendon in 2000 (except they won the Grand final) we may have to get trade away a player to keep under the salary cap.

ThePunter
Club Player

It's hogwash.

Someone who is in a tough negotiation is probably talking to journos in order to try and get the club to move someone so their client can get more money.

The club will have a large number of players on its list next year in their first two years of football, which will ease pressure.

And when Farren finishes top-ten in the B&F (again), you'll know why he's on $300,000-$350,000.

But as I have said in other places, anyone who wants out can go.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Yeah they would have been.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: salary cap pressure

Zed wrote:So we are under salary cap pressure again with reports in the paper saying that Gilbert may be traded if the right deal comes up to release salary cap pressure.

How can we be up to the eyeballs again ? .. Its only 2 short years ago that Ball was let go which should have released a bunch of money and Lovett is not on the books either. We havent brought any new players of note in since then so who got the money ?

Is clearing room in the salary cap part of Pelchen's mandate ?

Signing up everyone to keep against GC and GWS....

That's where the rooms has gone.

robsaint
Club Player

Don’t Stephen Milne and Lenny Hayes get put on the Veteran list for next year if they aren’t already. Both have played for 10 years and are over 30 at the 31st of December.

i) is 30 years of age or older as at 31 December before the next AFL Season; and

(ii) has been included on the relevant Club’s List (excluding the Rookie List), for a period of 10 complete years.

32.1.4 Sunset Provisions – Not After 10 Years

Rule 32.1.3(a) shall no longer apply after the relevant Club has participated in the AFL Competition for 10 years, after which the provisions of Rule 32.1.3(b) shall apply.

32.2 Procedure for Notification and Approval

Where a Club proposes to nominate a Player on its Primary List as a veteran Player or transfer a Player from its Primary List to its Veterans List, the following procedure shall apply:

a) an Officer of the Club shall complete an "Application to Transfer or Nominate Player - Veterans List" in the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 24 ("the Application");

(b) the Officer of the Club and the relevant Player shall sign the Application;

(c) the Officer of the Club shall lodge the Application with the General Manager – Football Operations on or before 31 December before the relevant AFL Season;

(d) the General Manager – Football Operations shall, subject to strict compliance with all of the requirements of these Rules, approve the Application and transfer the Player from the Club’s Primary List to the Club’s Veterans List or classify the Player on the Club’s Primary List as a veteran Player, as the case may be.

32.3 Treatment of Football Payments

Where a Player is included on a Club’s Veterans List, half of the Football Payments in respect of that Player shall be excluded from the Club’s Total Player Payments.

32.4.1 Player Nominated as Veteran May Subsequently Transfer to Veterans List

A Club which nominates a Player on its Primary List as a veteran Player for a Football Year may transfer that Player to the Clubs’ Veteran’s List for any subsequent Football Year provided the Club complies with this Rule 32.

32.4.2 Player to Remain on Veterans List

A Player included on a Club’s Veterans List shall remain on the Veterans List until the Player is de-listed by the Club.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

wont be any pressure once bj signs with gws

mcadam05
Club Player

Didn't Ross say last week in that age interview that there was room in the cap for St Kilda to go after Mitch Clark ?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:Didn't Ross say last week in that age interview that there was room in the cap for St Kilda to go after Mitch Clark ?
Did he say "St Kilda", "us" or "my team"? :wink:

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:Didn't Ross say last week in that age interview that there was room in the cap for St Kilda to go after Mitch Clark ?
Not having a go at you here mate, but Ross would never lie right?

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
mcadam05
Club Player

The Age 21/09/11

Question - Were you Strongly Considering Mitch Clark for St Kilda and do you want him at Fremantle

Ross - Earlier in the year I was advised we had a fair bit of money freed up at St Kilda so he was one we were looking at for that other power forward - ruckman . I really rate him highly and I think at 23 he's really ready to blossom. If you listen to the noise in the market and he's a West Australian, there's some interest there

mcadam05
Club Player

It's funny that the only place that is going on about St Kilda's "salary-cap pressures" is the Age newspaper has anyone at the Club come out and confirmed it ?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

yes.

unless we back-ended rieowldt goddard etc.

i think the answer is we are fine but we might be throwing it out there so just in case we get an offer for gilbo etc we can say its because of salary cap pressures.

just covering our bums i reckon.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i think the idea is that ur always almost paying the max SC so that ur pumping the most money into ur players that u can

a little bit of tweaking and we'll be fine

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
i think the answer is we are fine but we might be throwing it out there so just in case we get an offer for gilbo etc we can say its because of salary cap pressures.

just covering our bums i reckon.
thats as good a theory as any i reckon ..

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think the problem being reported, at least by Damian Barrett on Triple M on Saturday, was that if we submitted our 2012 list right now as it stands, we would be breaking the cap. Didn't say by how much though.

Contracts have been negotiated and signed with the assumption that someone would leave to free up space.

Or was it purely going to be based on getting Hayes and Roo onto the Veterans list??

But as has been posted, surely we haven't used up all of the space that Ball and/or Lovett would have freed up?? Not unless we've signed guys like Jack and Armo to crazy money.

robsaint
Club Player

I don't think roo can go on the veteran list is is not 30 at the end of this year even though he has been on our list for 10 years. I think only Milne and Hayes can be put on the list. From memory only 2 can be on the list and you cannot swap people in and out of the list from year to year.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Kosi could take a pay cut.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Barret almost contradicted himself-
by saying the AFL had been in and although we were close to the limit- under or over the AFL have already signed off

Did he mention the Tigers?
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 6149442874
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 28 Sep 2011 7:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Barret almost contradicted himself-
by saying the AFL had been in and although we were close to the limit- udner or over the AFL have already signed off

Did he mention the Tigers?
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 6149442874
Why would he mention that? Got nothing to do with being over the salary cap. And wasnt Barrett talking about next year?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Was Lovett's pay out included in the cap? I thought it was, but I seem to recall we had to get a nod from the AFL.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021