CJ to Freo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I've often thought that as a fan forum... we mark KPPs like Kosi, Lynch (although he's really more med forward/back), Dawson etc so harshly and criticise them so much...
yet our midfielders like Jones and Ray who play the EASIEST position on the ground slide through with ridiculous leniency

CJ is a gun!!!???? I will never fathom how any rational person can somehow delude themselves into thinking that we somehow are at an advantage for having this guy in our team.

He's so ineffective minus the handful of good games he plays a year

If we can trade him and somehow end up with Bate... we're big winners

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't know why the haters are on CJ. He has been a loyal servant and has given the club heaps. We expect player loyalty but bag them at every opportunity? He hasn't given too many bad performances. He has performed in big games, what more do you want. His disposal isn't perfect but he gives a good account of himself as a tagger and as an in an under player. I hope his family members don't get on here because they would be calling him to get him home. It seems there is this idiot fringe that are demanding everyone that isn't a grade and some that are should be sacked or traded. Some of the same people then go on to say we screwed up the Ball trade but then say anyone that has question marks deserves delisting. Madness has prevailed, it's time to go old school, sack the board cull the stars blame the hacks and start again. Someone call snow deli and the moorabin city council.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Tell me people suggesting Bate think it is April the first. The guy is slower than me and that is saying something. CJ aint no star but he does at least get the Bll. Yes he turns it over but there arent many options in our side.

Saintersss
Club Player

I love watching all the fans turn when there is a rumour about a player leaving.

CJ is not a star, but he is a good player and would find a spot in most sides in the comp.

DK27
Club Player

Bate and Gamble are pretty similar in that they are not that quick. Not room for many slowish players in AFL now. We don't need either in my opinion.

We need quick players who can kick and don't mind chasing and tackling too. Cripps, Ledger and Siposs after another pre season should be looking for a regular spot in the team. (Siposs isn't that quick but is such a beautiful kick that he only needs 10 touches a game to be very valuable to our side that kick at goal terribly.) Siposs the new Heatley. (I hope he trains a bit harder than Heater.) Crocker after another preseason in the gym might be looking for a spot too.

Ellis from Hawthorn someone mentioned as a possible. Again pretty one paced. Might be OK for us as we desperately need guys who can spend time in the midfield. Wouldn't pay lots for him but if a deal came along he would be as valuable as say Farren Ray which is better than what we have at the moment. Ladson and Young I would not pick up unless they came as steak knives. (Really cheaply so no downside)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Tell me people suggesting Bate think it is April the first. The guy is slower than me and that is saying something. CJ aint no star but he does at least get the Bll. Yes he turns it over but there arent many options in our side.
I was told that the selection committee wanted to drop him in the game against Melbourne but they had to go with him because there was basically no one else.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
DK27
Club Player

Oh. Also keep CJ. He is fit and can run all day which our game plan demands. Not just our game plan but all winning teams plans demands huge running ability. Keep him unless we have a better option. I don't see one yet.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:I love watching all the fans turn when there is a rumour about a player leaving.

CJ is not a star, but he is a good player and would find a spot in most sides in the comp.
in fairness to me...

if you go through my history... I've been on Jones' case for sometime
Mini and Farren too

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

CJ shuts down the best opposition player on most occasions, he has the pace to keep up with most players, he is a ball magnet so can hurt the opposition.

Kicking action terrible and at times kicking is terrible, but FFS, he is a Sainter and plays his role as well as anyone. If he wants to go, fair enough, but we were putting him up with the elite and most important to us when we were firing!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:CJ shuts down the best opposition player on most occasions, he has the pace to keep up with most players, he is a ball magnet so can hurt the opposition.
ever stop to think that he gets a lot of ball because the opposition want him to have the ball as opposed to us directing play through Dal, Goddard, Monty etc

he is fast... no doubt about it

I don't have stats but I bet when he gets some uncontested ball, it's because his opponent is down the ground waiting zoning coz he knows CJ can't hurt them

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I like CJ, but considering the bagging out he's gotten on this thread who could blame him for leaving? We're the best, the absolute best, at turning on our own. Pretty ugly trait as far I'm concerned. The culture doesn't exist at the club, it exists in the fanbase.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I like CJ, but considering the bagging out he's gotten on this thread who could blame him for leaving? We're the best, the absolute best, at turning on our own. Pretty ugly trait as far I'm concerned. The culture doesn't exist at the club, it exists in the fanbase.
similiar to what I suggested earlier in the year
it's almost like supporters become apathetic when things are going ok- to the point of picking and choosing when to be a part of it- when to join up or when to go to games...

but as soon as it all gets messy they start turning on the club and team...odd way of SUPPORTING.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Nasher

plugger66 wrote:Tell me people suggesting Bate think it is April the first. The guy is slower than me and that is saying something. CJ aint no star but he does at least get the Bll. Yes he turns it over but there arent many options in our side.
He isn't slow, he's quite quick in a straight line. His issues are that he has the turning circle of the QE2, he's hopeless below his knees and he has too many matches where he does not get near the ball. My observation is that he always starts the year terribly and has warmed up by about round 10 to play some pretty good footy. Was (rightfully) never given enough time this year.

I (Melbourne supporter) would accept a downgrade on our third round picks in exchange for Bate and Lynden Dunn. I highly doubt your club would be the least bit interested in either.

SirDog
Club Player

There is no news whatsoever about him coming here to Perth, although there was mention a few weeks ago that CJ may look to end his career with Fremantle being a former South Fremantle player. But definitely nothing confirmed or rumored in the media here.

And I like CJ..yes his disposal is sometimes questionable but his perseverance or tenacity is something I enjoy watching and will always remember. For example : Click Here

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I like CJ, but considering the bagging out he's gotten on this thread who could blame him for leaving? We're the best, the absolute best, at turning on our own. Pretty ugly trait as far I'm concerned. The culture doesn't exist at the club, it exists in the fanbase.
I can only speak for myself.

I don't bag him, or any Saints player for that matter, though I do consider his disposal skills to be poor.

And I don't hope he leaves; simply hold the view that if he goes it's not the end of the world.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:CJ shuts down the best opposition player on most occasions, he has the pace to keep up with most players, he is a ball magnet so can hurt the opposition.

Kicking action terrible and at times kicking is terrible, he is a Sainter and plays his role as well as anyone. If he wants to go, fair enough......
This. How quick folks are to turn on players, I hope Jones stays, valuable team member....

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
StPeter
Club Player

CJ has been a fine player for us. Definite requirement as far as I am
concerned.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

It is possible that maybe, just maybe, the new coach can get some serious kicking skill training into CJ. Lyon didn't give a damn about skills. He didn't have any himself when he played and admitted to not spending much, if any, time honing our players skills. A new coach might actually appreciate the game's most important skill--kicking the ball--and take the time to teach CJ how to do it.

Whatever happens with CJ let's just hope the new coach puts a premium on skill.

Carna Saints!!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

When Jones gets the ball, it ends up in a worse position for us than before he had it. Can stay or go, I doubt another coach will play him. With Lenny back, the emergence of Steven and Ledger/Cripps ready to go I see no reason to have a permanent tagger in the midfield.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Bate is slow in pace but a quick thinker, Ling and goddard are in that category too. goddard never gets run down but is slow off the mark and even at full pace seems to be moving slower than he is. He is more your old fashioned ball winning footy player. He competes and can kick goals, heaps to like about him, he just isn't part of Melbourne's future so he gets left out.

Megamaguire
Club Player

K E E P Cj.

Gringo said
"]I don't know why the haters are on CJ. He has been a loyal servant and has given the club heaps. He hasn't given too many bad performances. He has performed in big games, what more do you want. His disposal isn't perfect but he gives a good account of himself as a tagger and as an in an under player.

I agree, Cj is a consistently solid player and one of the most important 'role' players and 'team' players that brought this club close to being premiers twice. There are 3 fairly high profile backmen at St.Kilda that habitually make me nervous when they are near the ball- i would assume these 3 are ahead of Cj in being dispensible _ they are Dawson; Gilbert; Clarke.
Cj is a part of the backbone that has squeezed out the wins over recent years. He doesn't go missing or shirk.
Look elsewhere to make improvements please!

With Hayes a reasonable chance to return in 2012 with impact we would be crazy to offload our Nb.1 tagger who always puts himself on the line and effectively further damage our midfield rotations that could still concievably rebound St.Kilda to a top-4 slot in 2011.

Don't be reactive and knee-jerk ourselves to being completely ineffective.
Keeping Clinton J.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

DK27 wrote:Oh. Also keep CJ. He is fit and can run all day which our game plan demands. Not just our game plan but all winning teams plans demands huge running ability. Keep him unless we have a better option. I don't see one yet.
don't forget, new coach, new game plan.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

This board really amazes me. A rumour has started that one of our best 22 is leaving and we absolutely trash him. Yes his disposals aren't great but I think some of the tripe posted in this thread is just plain awful. He busts his gut for the club every week, but as soon as there is a RUMOUR about him........he is dead to us. :roll:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
markp
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:This board really amazes me. A rumour has started that one of our best 22 is leaving and we absolutely trash him. Yes his disposals aren't great but I think some of the tripe posted in this thread is just plain awful. He busts his gut for the club every week, but as soon as there is a RUMOUR about him........he is dead to us. :roll:
+1

Ordinary.

And people go on about loyalty.....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
ever stop to think that he gets a lot of ball because the opposition want him to have the ball as opposed to us directing play through Dal, Goddard, Monty etc

he is fast... no doubt about it

I don't have stats but I bet when he gets some uncontested ball, it's because his opponent is down the ground waiting zoning coz he knows CJ can't hurt them
I hope the opposition keeps it up next year then...very nice of them to continually give us 20 possessions, 1 goal and 5 tackles per game for free. Yeah, he does drop a few clangers from time to time, but makes up for it easily.

I can vouch that you are not an overnighter when it comes to writing CJ off Skeptic, but thought, since you'd been watching him you might have noticed how valuable he's been to us the last few years.