Excited

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

Excited

Now the furore is settling and the cashed up judas has left our fair state I am getting excited at the prospect of seeing some new talent come through.

With injury always a concern it would be great to see game time for
Stanley
Ledger
Crocker
Sipposs
Walsh
Simpkin

And even Cahill as we really do not know what any of their potential is at AFL level other than maybe Sipposs.

The possibility of six players coming in and replacing role players would have a massive injection of youth and speed about the line up.

My glass is well and truly half full.

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Dean Bailey said last night our list is still in relatively good shape and I tend to agree. Our top 6 players are as good as any other teams - the improvement will come from players 15 - 22.
Im also excited by a new coach - I think Ross's time was up at the club and it really is time to call in a "new era". Leigh Matthews tends to think coaches have 6-7 years used by date at clubs, I think that runs true in our case.

2 Big calls need to be made though:
1. Experianced coach or younger inexperianced coach? Do you get Rodney Eade to come in for a crack at a flag in the next 2-3 years or do you get someone like Scott Burns to take over and rebuild from the ground up.
Personally I'd love someone like Scott Burns to come in with Dean Bailey/Rocket Eade/Neil Craig/Mark Harvey to come in as Senior Assistant.

2. Sign up all Star Players or Trade 2-3 for picks? Chris Pelchen and the new coach will decide wether this list is capable of a premiership in the short term. If not expect some key players to be traded for draft picks and a complete rebuild.
If we're being honest, the only player on our list with high currency is Goddard. Hes young enough and good enough to demand 2 x 1st rd picks. The question is will he be a part of our next premiership? If the answers No then do you trade him for 2 high potential kids? Iv always believed you dont trade your stars, but footys a ruthless business as we've seen.

SaintWal
Club Player

One thing they will need is a ruckman to help out Ben. Stanley just does not have the physique IMO to handle the centre bounces. Kosi and Ben at present won't give us first use out of the centre and that to me was very evident over the last month of footy. Given the position it is something that will have to be traded for and even then the truly good ones are not going to come our way.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Would not be trading for a ruckman or anyone else, only draft picks. We have been going down that path for years. Just look at Ray, Schneider, Dempster, Polo, Gamble, Dawson, and all the others no longer with us. There are a number of decent young ruckmen available in the draft.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Hardly think Schneider & Dempster are a fail. Schneider is one of the few players who you know will do something with the ball. Has great footy smarts.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I appreciate your optmism St Wal and I agree with Dean Bailey. However, I query our Board's competence to get it right and turn this adversity into an opportunity.

St Lenny
Club Player

Under no circumstances should BJ go. If that happened, it would be just to much to cope with.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah im a bit Big Kev too

saint58
Club Player

SaintWal wrote:One thing they will need is a ruckman to help out Ben. Stanley just does not have the physique IMO to handle the centre bounces. Kosi and Ben at present won't give us first use out of the centre and that to me was very evident over the last month of footy. Given the position it is something that will have to be traded for and even then the truly good ones are not going to come our way.
I tend to agree with you but why not trade kosi and raphel Cahill to gws or gold coast you would get a couple of picks.

They are still young enough to give these clubs 3/4 years of service and we get a few draft picks to pick up a young ruckman/and or key forward.

I know the draft picks would be second or third round but you can trade them on or save them so we have a few options.

SaintWal
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:I appreciate your optmism St Wal and I agree with Dean Bailey. However, I query our Board's competence to get it right and turn this adversity into an opportunity.
I believe that while the senior coaching appointment will be critical in nourishing our kids I also see a very strong footy smart core of our senior guys that will make it a lot easier to mold a new team structure and game plan.

Whoever takes over has to get the senior players to buy in otherwise it could be Malthouse, Roos or any other sucessful coach and it won't mean jack.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

SaintWal posted :
I believe that while the senior coaching appointment will be critical in nourishing our kids I also see a very strong footy smart core of our senior guys that will make it a lot easier to mold a new team structure and game plan.

Whoever takes over has to get the senior players to buy in otherwise it could be Malthouse, Roos or any other sucessful coach and it won't mean jack.
Spot on there Wal. I just hope that Pelchen doesn't get a big rush of blood to the head and decides to put our top 6 onto the market for younger trades - "the future."

I think that the Board and the Supporters would bring the house down. Financially, the Club can't afford to slip down too much without adversely impacting on Membership and Sponsorship revenue, which we are desperate for.