GT says we should go after Malthouse

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
The board failed EPICALLY!
I don't think they did.

I'm very excited about the club to be honest!
I think you've been playing with your Johnny and your member a tad too much!
INFANTILE :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Ajantis
Club Player

Everyone has mixed comments/emotions regarding Ross Lyon & Mick Malthouse, but i think the bottom line is, with our current group of mature players we need to win a GF ! Lyon wasnt able to get us over that line, and i think he lacks ability to rebuild a team with Mature/Younger players, and he never gave players like Stanley, Walsh, etc a chance.

I kept hearing situations where players felt Ross was too controlling at certain times and didnt allow incoming advice from his Assistants. I dont know how true that is.

Lyon simply wants to be a GF Coach and doesnt want go through the whole rebuilding process.

I admire 2 coaches in history of the game.

1) Sheedy - who stayed with essenden regardless if they were up or down.
2) Malthouse - Even thou he has coached teams that alrdy have some sort of telent up and coming, he stills enjoys the challenge of working on a rebuild concept and mixing old with young, he sticks it out with the pies until they won a GF.

If st.kilda are capable of getting Malthouse let them go for it. He has all the pro's and little con's, even thou some people dont like him on a personal note, thats just tough.

I want to see st.kilda actually make a GF and win it. Its long overdue, and here is a chance to get a mature well respected coach and lets go 100% at him, if we fail then we try other options.

Cheers

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sheedy and Malthouse have the runs on the board, but both at clubs with big wallets, so everything required was provided.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

so we want to replace the a lying mongrel coach, with a lying mongrel coach?
no thanks!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:so we want to replace the a lying mongrel coach, with a lying mongrel coach?
no thanks!
I want to replace 114 years for one flag with our best opportunity to win a second one so yes please.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

People wanting to target Malthouse.

Is that to salvage what is left of the list now?

or

To completely rebuild?

Don't particularly want to wait until 2021 for him to 'rebuild' a list similar to how he has done Collingwood.

He will be 68 by that point, and it wouldn't suit him either.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:People wanting to target Malthouse.

Is that to salvage what is left of the list now?

or

To completely rebuild?

Don't particularly want to wait until 2021 for him to 'rebuild' a list similar to how he has done Collingwood.

He will be 68 by that point, and it wouldn't suit him either.
He rebuilt the Pies in 3 years.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:so we want to replace the a lying mongrel coach, with a lying mongrel coach?
no thanks!
I want to replace 114 years for one flag with our best opportunity to win a second one so yes please.
look what happened last time we brought someone of questionable morals to the club desperately hoping he was tne answer. didn't play a game.
look what happened last time we brought a premiership coach to the club in desperation for a flag. sacked him before the season was out.
i don't think mick is the answer, and i don't want to take that particular risk.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I don't care who we get as a coach as long as their bloody good at it. I want a coach to help us get our 2nd flag. I don't give a crap if he eats orphans fo breakfast and molests nuns as a hobby, I don't want another mate, I want a premiership coach for my footy team.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Don't care.

But we must do our due diligence.

Afterall, it's served us well in the past 8-)
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Fri 16 Sep 2011 10:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

sRaf
Club Player

I really don't get the hatred towards Malthouse. The man is a brilliant coach and is respected by the wider sporting community.

He will be an incredibly valuable asset to our club and I believe he can take us in the direction needed to win our first premiership in over 45 years.

Do people really want us to be as well equipped as we can to win our second premiership in history, or would people rather continue their petty ways and not want a coach for something he did who knows when?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The more I see Malthouse written, the worse the idea seems. Leave him, his ego, his media column and his baggage at Collingwood, please.

Ajantis
Club Player

no thanks!
It's a Job being a coach. Simple.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I am not a very big MM fan. Can't handle his mo.
I think shaving off his mo would have to be part of the contract.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sRaf wrote:I really don't get the hatred towards Malthouse. The man is a brilliant coach and is respected by the wider sporting community.

He will be an incredibly valuable asset to our club and I believe he can take us in the direction needed to win our first premiership in over 45 years.

Do people really want us to be as well equipped as we can to win our second premiership in history, or would people rather continue their petty ways and not want a coach for something he did who knows when?
What if Buckley is behind their current success, not saying he is, but the club needs to be sure they are investing in something real rather than assumed.

The board is going to earn their money in the coming weeks, they have to take alot into account.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
bigred wrote:I am not a very big MM fan. Can't handle his mo.
I think shaving off his mo would have to be part of the contract.
Didn't he do that once...and it still looked like he had a mo regardless?

stewmac
Club Player

apart from the Milney incident ,most people bag MM because he is coach of the filth, if he was coach of a lesser evil im sure there wouldnt be as much animosity ,he is a proven coach ,no one can argue with that ,id be happy with him if he coached us and we started to play attacking footy,the sport is supposed to be a spectator sport & this in turn gives entertainment to the supporters ,defensive footy chipping round the backline isnt entertaining unless your the opposition when we used to chip it to a turn over :roll: Think of the supporters who havent seen a flag for soooo long and install the man most likely to get that ,whoever he may be :wink:

ShakenNotStirred
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
The board failed EPICALLY!
I don't think they did.

I'm very excited about the club to be honest!
I think you've been playing with your Johnny and your member a tad too much!
INFANTILE :roll:
NO because JB reckons he is a liar, like our recently departed now Freo coach.

Sing it loud and sing it proud but most of all hang around for this club will rise to claim the prize and then we will realise its not such a surprise. :-)
Badlands
Club Player

Speaking of GT, wonder if he feels the same way about RL as he did in 2006 :? :

The main reasons I wanted him were that I think he's got great character, great integrity

The thing that came through was his absolute selflessness.

I remember both of us leaving our meeting excited. Basically, in the end, he's a very loyal person and he felt he needed to show his loyalty to his club and to Roosy.

That personified his character and integrity.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
bergsone
SS Life Member

Badlands wrote:Speaking of GT, wonder if he feels the same way about RL as he did in 2006 :? :

The main reasons I wanted him were that I think he's got great character, great integrity

I remember both of us leaving our meeting excited. Basically, in the end, he's a very loyal person and he felt he needed to show his loyalty to his club and to Roosy.

Who didnt think the same :evil:

Badlands
Club Player

I know.
Up until about 7.40pm last night i was a huge Ross fan.

now... just watching his press conference today made me feel sick.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:Speaking of GT, wonder if he feels the same way about RL as he did in 2006 :? :

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
sRaf wrote:I really don't get the hatred towards Malthouse. The man is a brilliant coach and is respected by the wider sporting community.

What if Buckley is behind their current success, not saying he is, but the club needs to be sure they are investing in something real rather than assumed.

The board is going to earn their money in the coming weeks, they have to take alot into account.
Ive wondered this too.

Many forget, up until 2010 Collingwood were a side that crept along the boundary line, rebound scored but allowed sides their kick ins to def 50 before exerting any pressure. This for 5-7 yrs was "Malthouse Footy".

AFTER Lyon instigated the press I reckon Buckley (a keen Lyon watcher and several times in the media commented at how tactically astute Lyon is) saw it and had a big say in it coming into Pies.

“Yeah….nah””
Winmarvellous
Club Player

if we land malthouse the press in our favour, as well as actual success, would be phenomenol. roo might actually get some back up, aqnd with free agency around the corner, believe me, we might actually be an attractive proposition

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Ive wondered this too.

Many forget, up until 2010 Collingwood were a side that crept along the boundary line, rebound scored but allowed sides their kick ins to def 50 before exerting any pressure. This for 5-7 yrs was "Malthouse Footy".

AFTER Lyon instigated the press I reckon Buckley (a keen Lyon watcher and several times in the media commented at how tactically astute Lyon is) saw it and had a big say in it coming into Pies.
Who helped him win the flag at Westcoast then? Buckley was still playing at that stage....... :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius