Who do you want to see coach the Saints from 2012?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who do you want to see coach the Saints from 2012?

Leigh Tudor
26%
Mick Malthouse
32%
Mark 'Choco' Williams
8%
Paul Roos
15%
Rodney Eade
3%
Other?
17%

Total votes: 193

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:GT really struggled as a match day coach. please remember he nearly killed Goddards career and Montagna struggled to get a game under him.

Give up on GT
Lyon was a master strategist, but GT was a far better match day coach than Lyon, who was highly inflexible.

Montagna struggled to get a game under GT because he was lazy and overweight. In 2006 he got his act together and became a regular first team pick.

How did GT almost destroy BJ? BJ went from an inconsistent player to being one of our stars by the time GT was sacked.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Mick Malthouse would be very interesting. Hate him at the Pies...of course. But he's the ruthless sort who would sort stuff out. No one has more experience. Has built other clubs, and knows there are no short-cuts....

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Is Jesus available? I heard he can perform miracles?

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Mick Malthouse would be very interesting. Hate him at the Pies...of course. But he's the ruthless sort who would sort stuff out. No one has more experience. Has built other clubs, and knows there are no short-cuts....
sounds unlikely to me. eddie will have him pretty solidly locked down, and i can't imagine him coaching milne. not that he wouldn't be good, just can't foresee how the situation would come about.

if you want an experienced coach then the list of options would include:

matthews
eade
williams
wallace
daniher
ayres
roos
craig
laidley
connolly

none there really strike me as likely, and i have no idea what most of them are doing these days.

ThomasR
Club Player

Mark Neeld for mine. Look at what he has done with Collingwood's midfield. He's done a bit of media and impressed every time. The most accomplished of the lot. He's in charge of the Pies stoppage set ups and it's here and on the spread that Collingwood kill teams. Swan Pendles and Daisy were GOPs not so long ago. Now try that with Joey Dal and BJ. The stand-out candidate

Scott Burns has obviously been doing some good things with West Coast but their real steps forward this year have come about with a well devised press and being blessed with an amazing ruck duo - the first we have in spades, the second we sorely lack and no amount of coaching will turn McEvoy into Nic Nat. Must admit some bias as I never liked Burns as a player but I feel his status as a player is propping up his coaching prospects. Another Matty Knights waiting to happen (hey at least we might kick some scores)

Malthouse will never coach us and I would really struggle to support any decision to appoint him. The others in the poll have had their days in the sun. Sanderson and Hinkley might be good choices but Geelong's main success has been spawned from their recruiting of good players. McCartney I don't know much about but seems highly rated.

Get Neeld!

andrewg
Club Player

Rubbish. I kbow for a fact BJ was a wisker from leaving under GT and Ross has never has as a good a team as GT did in 2004. We are still paying for the way Thomas treated the umpires and the AFL. Karma is a bitch and it seems now it has come around to us.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm thinking Tudor or Burns at this stage... and none of the recycled lot.

lefty
Club Player

andrewg wrote:We are still paying for the way Thomas treated the umpires and the AFL. Karma is a bitch and it seems now it has come around to us.
Ok how are we still paying exactly? GTs fault that the AFL gives baker 12 weeks or whatever it was? Common please....

Whilst you say Goddard might of left, we DID loose Luke Ball for nothing under Ross.

So your point is invalid.

Give Harv's a go or get GT back imo.

The other list of coaches imo doesn't do much, I'd rather go for an untried assistant coach otherwise.
Last edited by lefty on Fri 16 Sep 2011 12:22am, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

as much as my girl just abused me im sorry but if you want a premiership you get the best avl
if he can break his stupid ass director of football im not allowed to coach contract then you have to get mick

itll never happen
although one reg poster did say a while ago that mm was coming over

cant see it happening
and i could see milney leaving if it did
milne has at least 2 years in him still...easy

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Thought it was unlikely that RL would leave.....but he did.

Very unlikely that MM would come....very unlikely.

But who knows? Might happen. You would think Melbourne would be all over him though.

avid
Club Player

I'd be willing to contemplate Malthouse.
But wouldn't it mean Milney would walk out?
Milney means more to me (and to Saints team spirit?) than MM.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:I'd be willing to contemplate Malthouse.
But wouldn't it mean Milney would walk out?
Milney means more to me (and to Saints team spirit?) than MM.
Both are professionals, and both would move past what has happened and work together to win the ultimate.

I'd love Mick to come to us, he won't take the crap that can get served up, and if you're not playing well, you're not playing. Ruthless coaching is something we need, and for the sake of the club, need ASAP!

They walk amongst us...

andrewg
Club Player

Lefty yes to the baker question. Robert Harvey left a struggling Carlton midfield and came to St.Kilda. In 2011 we were the last in midfield clearances. Robert Harvey is not the answer.

Clearly you were a Grant Thomas fan fair enough, but he wasnt any good on or of the field. Dont get me wrong, Ross Lyon is a suck facr ball bag but a better coach than GT and there are many better coached than GT in 2011.

Evidence of this is on footy classified, he literaly has no idea of the names of players from other clubs and if often giving opinions on the fly. We want a man that eats and breaths footy. Not a self absorbed arrogant fat head.

Quixote
SS Life Member

A Rob Harvey option might have been appropriate :!:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Hurricane wrote:I hope Harves gets the job assisted by a Roos or Eade type the way Essendon has done with Hird and Thompson.

Harves is St Kilda through and through and I see nobody better (with the right assistants to back him up) to take us foward

BANG BANG
100% on board with this, Harvey is a symbol of unity for the club. And with experienced coaches behind him we could actually improve. Eade would make a good assistand I think.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Former St Kilda defender Mick Malthouse would be fine by me.

My only concern is that our players are so deficient skill-wise that we would take a long time to adapt to his preferred style.

Malthouse likes quick, strong teams, not role-playing stodgers. He'll have his work cut out.

Age certainly doesn't worry me with MM. He's 11 years younger than Sir Alex Ferguson, who seems to be coaching OK.

Can't see Roos getting back into the swing of coaching so early. Another year on the sidelines for him, methinks. Would be able to continue our style, however.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.