OUR FINALS ROAD - Looks really bloody tough

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

OUR FINALS ROAD - Looks really bloody tough

Just fiddling with the ladder predictor (again), and our road ahead to actually make it to the Grand Final this year is simply ridiculous.

Looks like we'd either have to take on Hawthorn or Geelong if we make it to the semi final, then rumble with Collingwood here or the Eagles at Subi.

That's one hell of a road to travel!

Personally I'd like West Coast to beat Collingwood, Hawthorn to beat the Cats, that would help take the wind out of the sails of Collingwood and Hawthorn. I feel confident we can deal with the Cats and the Eagles further down the track.

Naturally I'd like us to beat the Swans to start with :lol: :D

http://www.afl.com.au/ladder%20predicto ... fault.aspx

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Not surprising...

To win the flag, you need to beat three of the top four teams.

Even when you finish in the top 4 that is your equation.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: OUR FINALS ROAD - Looks really bloody tough

St. Luke wrote:Just fiddling with the ladder predictor (again), and our road ahead to actually make it to the Grand Final this year is simply ridiculous.

Looks like we'd either have to take on Hawthorn or Geelong if we make it to the semi final, then rumble with Collingwood here or the Eagles at Subi.

Personally I'd like West Coast to beat Collingwood, Hawthorn to beat the Cats, that would help take the wind out of the sails of Collingwood and Hawthorn. I feel confident we can deal with the Cats and the Eagles further down the track.

Was never going to be easy.

I'd prefer Hawks (MCG) then Pies (MCG) and finally Cats (MCG).

If that proves too hard for us then I think any other route will prove equally impossible.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Yeah true regarding the difficulty.

Last season (imho) the thing that really hurt us was the prelim battle with the Dogs. I also think that was the contributing factor that destroyed our second crack at the flag in the GF replay.

There is literally no way we can nurse a team through those games and not be limping come the GF. My only hope is that this season, the other teams are limping through just as badly.

Geelong also let us down by their insipid performance against the Pies in the '10 prelim. The Suns could have beaten them that day, as I dare say anyone could have beaten us in the GF replay.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

One thing's for sure. None of them will be overjoyed about playing us if we get through this week. They know they'll be in for a scrap.

markp
Saintsational Legend

It may seem odd, but I think I'd prefer hawks, eagles (away), and cats in the gf... I don't reckon we match up against the filth as well as we do the others, and I think we could maybe snatch a prelim in WA.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:It may seem odd, but I think I'd prefer hawks, eagles (away), and cats in the gf... I don't reckon we match up against the filth as well as we do the others, and I think we could maybe snatch a prelim in WA.
Agree. Collingwood are the only ones that really fill me with dread.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:It may seem odd, but I think I'd prefer hawks, eagles (away), and cats in the gf... I don't reckon we match up against the filth as well as we do the others, and I think we could maybe snatch a prelim in WA.
Even if we were able to snatch that one I would be very concerned about playing a GF after having flown back from Perth.

This year we definitely need to stay in Melbourne despite the enormity of the task at hand. IMO of course.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Piece of cake. No worries.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Even if we were able to snatch that one I would be very concerned about playing a GF after having flown back from Perth.

This year we definitely need to stay in Melbourne despite the enormity of the task at hand. IMO of course.
Yep, I hear ya, and it's maybe largely irrational, but I think we need the cats to end the filth for us, as they've shown they're able (in an epic and bruising encounter, of course!), I also think the eagles can and may very well beat them this weekend... and I'd rather our chances against the eagles over there than the filth here.... we'd likely lease a plane and fly back at low altitude and all that too.

Also, I'd rather the eagles win the flag than cats, or either of them than the filth to even make the gf.

But at this stage I'll be very happy to beat the swans!

spert
Saintsational Legend

We are a team that does well with our backs to the wall, but the only real problem is the lack of form from Roo who seems to be carrying a knee, and quite frankly, if we have no winning key forwards, then it will be a struggle.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Yep, I hear ya, and it's maybe largely irrational, but I think we need the cats to end the filth for us, as they've shown they're able (in an epic and bruising encounter, of course!), I also think the eagles can and may very well beat them this weekend... and I'd rather our chances against the eagles over there than the filth here.... we'd likely lease a plane and fly back at low altitude and all that too.

Also, I'd rather the eagles win the flag than cats, or either of them than the filth to even make the gf.

But at this stage I'll be very happy to beat the swans!
And of course there’s another reason I don’t want West Coast to beat Collingwood.

IF we have to go down to the Pies again I’d much rather do it in a PF than a GF!

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm just stoked we're playing finals again. Who knows what aces the boys have up their sleeves. A good strong win over the Swans will have me really wondering how far we could go.

Armitage will be a welcome inclusion in this round. I thought we missed him severely against Blues.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

This is a funny post.

If you finish 5 to 8 you will have a hard road because you're not a top 4 side.

The dream of any side 5 to 8 is to make the Prelims.

ando051
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:Just fiddling with the ladder predictor (again), and our road ahead to actually make it to the Grand Final this year is simply ridiculous.

If we are lucky enough and have to face West Coast in the prelim, that would be at the G wouldn't it, not Subi? because they would play Carlton or Essendon in the semi over at Subi.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

soto win the flag we have to beat the best teams?
shocking bad luck for us!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You would think the winner of the Hawks and Geelong game get the dream run into the GF. Our run is just about impossible but lets hopefully get over Sydney and our dream can continue.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Not surprising...

To win the flag, you need to beat three of the top four teams.

Even when you finish in the top 4 that is your equation.
Actually, if you finish in the top 4, then you may only need to beat one top four team. For instance, if West Coast beats Collingwood, Collingwood would then play the winner of Carlton and Essendon. If they win that, then they would need to beat another top four team in the PF (the winner of Geelong and Hawthorn). If they win that, they could play another 5 to 8 team which has won its three games, in the Grand Final. In other words - us!

AlpineStars
Club Player

As the great man Stephen Milne once said and I quote "we are just taking it one game at a time but we have a big month in front of us"

Wake me up when September ends.
jays
Club Player

very hard for sure hope to face cats then eagles

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Looks could be deceiving .. just a walk in the park.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yep. A win on Saturday night will get us going, then we can worry about what's next. I think that we will win this week, which will be a great start!

Austinnn
Club Player

Just got back from the future! Been partying for months! Anyway, look, don't worry, Saints! It's in the bag!

The planets are aligned for a famous St Kilda premiership to atone for the 2 missed chances and provide the media for enough glory stories to fill a decade of hype.

Step 1: Saints v Swans - a tough bloody-minded clash between the two scrappers of the top 8. Saints to rise up out of the quicksand in the 4th Quarter with a 3 unanswered goals to come from behind and win. Goodes to miss a crucial set shot again.

Step 2: Hawks v Saints - The largely fancied Hawks are well held at the start of the game, Franklin and Rioli totally frozen out and the St Kilda midfield well on top early. Hawthorn inevitably come back, but Kosi and Riewoldt get a couple of goals from cheap free kicks and it launches an unexpected comeback with some surprising cameos. Geary, Gram and Peake to score 3 crucial goals and Jason Blake to be leading disposals for the Saints in his 200th game. 20 pt win to Saints, Hawks to be remonstrating violently with umps after the final siren.

Step 3: Magpies v Saints - The Grand Final replay, a week early. Media all over it, other final is forgotten. Some pundits talk about destiny, though most agree the Pies will finally down the Saints, who have surprised everyone and who can hold their heads up blah blah blah. Milne to get first 2 goals and all of a sudden Harry O gets the shakes. Saints tackle ferociously at the start and the Pies seem surprised and still asleep from the week off. At Quarter Time, Malthouse goes off his head, cameras point at Milne, but Mick too smart to get caught a second time. A lightening fast sequence of Pie play gives them a handy lead, which is tempered by vital snap goal to Montagna when the Saints finally get hold of the ball, starting with a turnover from Luke Ball. Saints behind by 6pts at HT. Bit of pushing and shoving as the players go off the ground, nothing reportable. Riewoldt gets in Reid's face and has to be held back by his teammates. 3rd Q Collingwood lose cohesion in forward line as St Kilda drop back, Fisher and Clarke to clear all danger, Cloke gives away a couple of Free Kicks to Dawson as he starts to unravel. All over the ground the Saints have heroes, all the lesser lights have their moments; Ray, Polo, Jones do the hard things to limit the influence of the Pies stars. Daisy Thomas unseen, Swan can't get into the game. The rest seem like they are just having one of those days. The media and Mick will later put this down to arrogance, certain players getting ahead of themselves. McEvoy and Gardiner totally dominate Jolly - who looks injured - and Brown. Dal Santo, Steven and Armitage seem to have the ball on a string and it's their inside 50s that give Kosi and Big Boy first hands on the pill for a few long shots, which they clunk. The Filth remain scoreless in the entire quarter, thanks to an unlucky poster by Sidebottom and Goldsack kicking out on the full. Saints now seem unstoppable, Collingwood feel like the villain at the end of a Hollywood film, it seems inevitable that they will succumb to fate. Their tails drop and apart from a brief moment of hope in the 4th quarter, it's all Saints and Eddie is seen leaving early with a look of thunder on his face. Mick leaves weeks later to take a head coach role at Melbourne and makes it well known in the media months later that he was astounded by the attitudes of his players in his last game with the Pies; "We expected to win, but the Saints desire and determination pushed them that extra inch and our players weren't ready."

Step 4: Cats v Saints - If you thought the hype for the last 2 years GFs was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. The '09 Re-match is prefaced for days of clips of key moments from the GF 2 years ago. MacAvaney has almost completely melted with praise for Saint Kuulda and Ross Lyon who has apparently dragged this team of no-hopers to "4GFs in 3 years". Lots of pundits remark at the 'tragedy' of Lenny being unable to take part. Gardi, Bakes, 'Joe' Blake, Mooney, Scarlett and Milburn all have their retirement press conferences. NDS wins the Brownlow and Aker scrawls some garbage about the Brownlow Curse inflating the winner's head before a GF, putting him off his game. Robert Walls and Mark Stevens write articles about how the Saints valiant efforts will finally be quelled by the superhumans from Skilled Stadium. The phrase "will just be too strong in the end" is handcuffed to the Geelong players. Mike Sheehan and Jake Naill pay tribute the resolute Saints who refuse to die. Aside from the retirements, Saints media work this week is nil, with Lyon in full 'Herr Fuhrer' mode. No Saints family members or legends of the club die or have any tragic occurances at all, everyone is fine. Bakes does his lap of honour in the suit and open top, the media grits its teeth as it is forced to paid tribute to the 'dirty scragger' and Dwayne Russell pithily notes that it's a shame he didn't go out with a final duel against Stevie J.

The actual match? It starts with a Riewoldt goal. It ends with 2 Milney goals, the last after the siren for a magnificent 18pt win. Riewoldt finishes with 3-2 for the game, Milney gets 4-0. Sam Gilbert and Nick Dal Santo star around the ground. McEvoy and Kosi absolutely destroy the Geelong ruck, Steven and Montagna step up and make a lot of effective clearances. We get a few lucky snaps to stay with the Cats for most of the game. Geelong play well but miss a couple of sitters. Chapman goes down injured, picking up an accidental knock from Ling. has to be subbed off at the start of the 3rd. The normally reliable Johnson finishes with 1-6. J Pod gets 3 goals in the 1st half when the Cats looked like pulling away. Menziel and Christiensen are unseen, the former being Dempstered, the latter watching Clint Jones gather possessions. Goddard takes a couple of enormous grabs in each half, both resulting in important goals for us.

The Saints players do not exchange guernseys with their opponents. Stephen Milne gets his gorilla mask from Lenny Hayes on the sideline, and does a lap of honour of the MCG in it. Gardi and Blake are chaired off. Goddard, Riewoldt and Kosi are in tears, covered in bandages and blood. Lyon re-signs in the following weeks for a further 3 years.

Saintsational Fan Forum server is overloaded with posts about the mistakes we made and certain players defiencies. The usual suspects. Some things never change.

sorry I forgot to hang around and find out if Tommy Walsh got a game the following season.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

ando051 wrote:If we are lucky enough and have to face West Coast in the prelim, that would be at the G wouldn't it, not Subi? because they would play Carlton or Essendon in the semi over at Subi.
No, because to face West Coast in a prelim they would have to win the qualifier which would give them the week off and the next game at home. (And we have to win our first two games of course)
Last edited by InkerSaint on Wed 07 Sep 2011 9:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

West Coast will not beat Collingwood. No chance.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.