Team of the century slur

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Badlands
Club Player

Team of the century slur

Sorry if this has been covered... couldn't find anything about it in a (very brief, admittedly) search of the site.

Terry Wallace's current tweet which was first posted about 19hrs ago says: "Not convinced that it was a very good call to suggest that "all you needed was a pulse to be included in St Kilda's Team of the Century?"

Can someone kindly update me as to who made the comment that Wallace has quoted?

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
saintDal
Club Player

I know Grant Thomas on FC said something along the lines of "1 premiership in X amount of years, can't have been too hard a team to get into". Something like that anyway.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

It was GT on Footy Classified.

He made the comment when they were discussing that some were calling fro Milne to be included in teh team of the century.

WHen Caro, Lyon adn Hutchy almost 'gasped' at the slur he then made the point of
1 premiership in over a hundred years' to (IMO) deflect from a very poor taste comment.

But I know that GT 'bleeds' for the CLub - so many on here keep posting it, so it muct be true.

It all came about becasue the other 3 were trying to get him to admit he was wrong about Milne (putting him up for trade).
Which he wouldn't admit - he said he would admit it when Milne performed well in a GF.

If it wasn't all contrived then it showed a side of GT that not often gets viewed in publuc.
A nasty, snarly, vindictive sneer.

If it was contrived then he's a bloody good actor.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:It was GT on Footy Classified.

He made the comment when they were discussing that some were calling fro Milne to be included in teh team of the century.

WHen Caro, Lyon adn Hutchy almost 'gasped' at the slur he then made the point of
1 premiership in over a hundred years' to (IMO) deflect from a very poor taste comment.

But I know that GT 'bleeds' for the CLub - so many on here keep posting it, so it muct be true.

It all came about becasue the other 3 were trying to get him to admit he was wrong about Milne (putting him up for trade).
Which he wouldn't admit - he said he would admit it when Milne performed well in a GF.

If it wasn't all contrived then it showed a side of GT that not often gets viewed in publuc.
A nasty, snarly, vindictive sneer.

If it was contrived then he's a bloody good actor.
Knowing that show i will go with being a good actor.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Terry Wallace would not even be considered to coach the kindergarten backyard leftovers team of the century.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't one of GT's finest moments.

Was a pure smartarse comment and an insult to the absolute champions that make up our Team Of The Century :evil:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Terry Wallace would not even be considered to coach the kindergarten backyard leftovers team of the century.
What does that have to do with anything? Still waiting for something funny. Surely you have something in you for a laugh.

markp
Saintsational Legend

"All you needed was a pulse to be included in St Kilda's Team of the Century"

Those were GT's words?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:"All you needed was a pulse to be included in St Kilda's Team of the Century"

Those were GT's words?
Yep!

Disgraceful when you consider those who were named. Premierships aren't everything!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Didnt GT play for StK

He has a pulse, cant remember if he got a gig in the TOTC......maybe he should check the side out....he might change his mind...

Baldock, stewart, howell, smith, harvey, lockett, winmar, ditterich.....would make most TOTC's

markp
Saintsational Legend

Disappointing... don't expect much from him, but I would've expected better than that.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Considering the number of coaches the club has had, we could safely say all you needed was a pulse to be one of them...

One premiership in X years, and this clown was in a position to influence that outcome otherwise. A man with a lower capacity for self-reflection you'll be hard pressed to find.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SaintSimmo
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Considering the number of coaches the club has had, we could safely say all you needed was a pulse to be one of them...

One premiership in X years, and this clown was in a position to influence that outcome otherwise. A man with a lower capacity for self-reflection you'll be hard pressed to find.
BOOM!!!!!

Sainter for life.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The bloke is trash.

If he hadn't lost me before, he has now.

Just another drunk bore.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:The bloke is trash.

If he hadn't lost me before, he has now.

Just another drunk bore.
And why use the lack of Premierships to demean those selected?

Robert Harvey, Tony Lockett etc are not Premiership players. Tom Hawkins is :shock: :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am not Pro-GT or anything, but in the context of the conversation I am not sure that is what he meant entirely (but then again maybe he did)

He just didn't want to be caught up in the discussion of elevating Milne to champion status, muttered something to Caro about how St Kilda has always been about champions rather than champion teams.

It was a more a jaded observation at our lack of success, and is it really significant to worry about who to put in and take out of the team of the century?

I think GT tried to fix the individualist nature of St Kilda and couldn't, I think Ross has.

You listen to his pressers after a match, very rarely does he elevate a player above another, something like 'after a performance like that, I am loathe to individualise'

Maybe there isn't a need for us all to hype up Milne so much, what's been so pleasing about his recent form is his team play, and tackling pressure. Maybe we should appreciate him as being an important part of what is such an even team, it's an interesting thought anyway.

I don't agree with his reluctance to acknowledge how Milne has turned his career around, but I sort of understand what he was getting at, if that is what he was getting at.

Maybe someone should invite him to come and tell us what it was he was thinking.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Was a poor comment. Was to do with Milney,he won't ever back down on his reasonaing for sacking him if he was still in charge. He used to say he doesnt perform in big games,last night he said "grand finals".

He's a funny one,sometimes he comes across as very common sense against the grain when others are too scared to say the wrong thing,Dr Turf like,then other times he comes across as a bitter fool

Bring back the Lockett era
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

As much as I enjoy most of Milneys exploits and with all due respect to his goalkicking tally, I would find it extremely difficult to put him in a TOTC ahead of all the great resting rovers over the years or indeed ahead of Billy Young(given that FF is already spoken for).

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Milney reminds me of Stewie Loewe in that they both put the icing on the cake of already won games rather than turning games on their head(Plugger) great players just the same, and Milney's game has evolved over last few years, I actually quite enjoy some of his brief midfield spells!

bergsone
SS Life Member

Tongue in cheek get over it :(

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What must be remembered about ther old time players, like Bill Mohr, they kicked their 100 goals in an 18 match season, not like today with 22 games.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Lighten up you lot....

GT will never admit he was wrong about Milne.....it was probably a deflection...

there have been some real champions play for StKilda but 1 flag in over a 100 years...it's not a source of pride for Thomas...he doesn't try to hide that at all..

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Reckon Thomas is maybe more of a St.K tragic than some of us on here,have not ever heard him say the slightest negative thing about Lyon,so he doesn't rate Milney . Surely he is entitled to an opinion!

Winmar
Club Player

I'm generally a supporter of GT, but that was a really poor comment. I couldn't believe he said it when I heard it.

Badlands
Club Player

Thanks for the clarification everyone. Don't get footy classified north of the border, so I had no idea who had made the comment and in what context. The input on this thread has cleared it up - cheers.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.