Time for RL to change or leave !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Merchant
Club Player

Re: Finally ...

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
SainterK wrote:Ok I'll respond.

How about North in the last, we weren't just running around without an opposition?

How did you suggest the Saints counteract the fact that they got the ascendency?

It wasn't Dal, Joey, Steven, Armo that pushed back, they were still in the middle, just North lifted and started smashing us in the clearances.

Smart footy is recognising that, and trying to limit the damage.

What was the alternative?
North got the ascendancy because RL at 3/4 time went into lock down mode. He did not back his team to play attacking football and win game of their own initiative. He would rather win it by defensivley by locking the game down. This causes our players to go into their shells and no one is prepared to take the game on. This hands the opposition the momentum and causes untold pressure on our defensive line.

Against the better 2011 teams we have been found wanting badly when attempting to lock the games down and have been over run badly. The 2011 SAINTS need to back their aibilities and run, attack the opposition not go into their shells.
Here here.
All those lining up to bag him who seemingly think just winning is all that matters in games like that is kidding themselves. They all would have been the same ones who defended Lyon to the hilt in the past couple of years when some were critical of how defensive we were, but ultimately what did it get us?
What do we have to show for it? I'm sure many will now line up to tell me how "close" we got, as if getting close is what we were all aiming for, but that just sums the "loser culture" of this club up perfectly. This is why we don't win premierships, because so many at this club think getting "close" equals success. And when you're happy to settle for that, it's no wonder we don't win flags, as teams who really are successful don't settle for anything less than the best and eventually push us aside (1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010 anyone?).
We've now been well and truly worked out and as WO said, the better teams have generally run all over us this year, playing the way we did yesterday and will continue to do so if we happen to make the finals, playing that way. I mean North almost did yesterday, at our favourite ground and they're a long way off the best teams. North were on a winning roll, but who did they beat during that time? The likes of Port Adelaide, Gold Coast, Essendon when they were in their slump, etc. Big deal. They were nothing but a middle of the road team. We are miles off it.
At least WO is looking at the big picture, not just desperately craving every little win, as though it's the only thing that gives meaning to his life.
Honestly, posts like this give me the absolute $#*&%. Do you honestly think that my pleasure, and that of my fellow saints supporters, at getting to see the football team that I barrack for play in the grand final, two years in a row, contributes to a "loser culture" and that is the reason why we lost those Grand Finals. Perhaps we just lost to better teams on the day.
I hate to break it to you, but this is a 16-17-18 team competition, and it is quite difficult to win a flag. If the only reason you watch football is to see a premiership, then you are going to have plenty of frustrating times ahead. Ross Lyon has done amazing things with this football club, and having just finished watching last nights game again, I fail to see how his coaching was in any way insufficient last night. We should have kicked three or four in the last, but for some skill errors, and players getting run down in our Fwd50, most likely partially due to fatigue.

Personally I like watching our team play finals. If you want to watch a team play occasionally exciting footy, but constantly miss out on finals, go barrack for Richmond. They have played in a finals series once in the last 15 years, but they do play some attacking footy on occasion. I will continue to watch the saints and hope they win each week, take the losses when they come, and continue to hope for a premiership. If it doesn't come, it doesn't come, me whinging on the internet certainly isn't going to change it.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:Look, I'm always glad to win, but here are some interesting stats from the game.

We had 108 uncontested marks to 38.

We had 106 short kicks to 42.

We had 261 uncontested possessions to 155,

Yet somehow North won the inside 50s by 53-47.

And we won by 9 points, not scoring after the 13-minute mark of the third quarter.

Obviously we had a lot more of the ball, but our reluctance to take any sort of risks and move the ball quickly ... even if it means kicking to a contest ... is an issue.
To save you all time, I've highlighted the relevant stats.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thread should be retitled to "Rantings of a Madman" :idea:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
PJ
SS Life Member

Honestly, posts like this give me the absolute $#*&%. Do you honestly think that my pleasure, and that of my fellow saints supporters, at getting to see the football team that I barrack for play in the grand final, two years in a row, contributes to a "loser culture" and that is the reason why we lost those Grand Finals. Perhaps we just lost to better teams on the day.
I hate to break it to you, but this is a 16-17-18 team competition, and it is quite difficult to win a flag. If the only reason you watch football is to see a premiership, then you are going to have plenty of frustrating times ahead. Ross Lyon has done amazing things with this football club, and having just finished watching last nights game again, I fail to see how his coaching was in any way insufficient last night. We should have kicked three or four in the last, but for some skill errors, and players getting run down in our Fwd50, most likely partially due to fatigue.

Personally I like watching our team play finals. If you want to watch a team play occasionally exciting footy, but constantly miss out on finals, go barrack for Richmond. They have played in a finals series once in the last 15 years, but they do play some attacking footy on occasion. I will continue to watch the saints and hope they win each week, take the losses when they come, and continue to hope for a premiership. If it doesn't come, it doesn't come, me whinging on the internet certainly isn't going to change it.
This pretty much sums it up but you'll never stop simple people from making simplistic posts that demonstrate their lack of rational argument. Emotional, passionate maybe but well short of the mark.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Well Ross has indeed left the club!

And I fully expect him to be back bright and early tomorrow morning :wink:

wasaintsfan
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Well Ross has indeed left the club!

HERE HERE!!!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Well Ross has indeed left the club!

HERE HERE!!!
Indeed.

There is also a possibilty players lose their composure if RL's strategy isn't going to plan. There's only so much a coach can do. Perhaps his players aren't responding specifically to his instructions?

There is no way a coach would tell his team to try and not score for an entire half. I mean, some of our players looked so lost, it was almost as though they needed a compass in that last quarter.
Last edited by Sainternist on Wed 06 Jul 2011 12:44am, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon we were stuffed after the bye and couldnt run anymore.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:I reckon we were stuffed after the bye and couldnt run anymore.

that was basically the word out of the club

should be looking at the first 3/4 of the game to see the mind set...

skills were up... attack was

the guys who needed the pill got it

and in the last quarter we were our own enemies... messed up 3 shots completely and kept kicking it out on the full exiting out of back line lol

on the other side of the coin they only got 1 goal 3 behinds.... some say their accuracy.. surely our pressure and "percieved" pressure had something to do with it?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Ross is a gun coach, I have complete faith in the man.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I have previously pointed out that Ross is not handling the Subb too well. Bringing the sub on with just 13 minutes left in the match is not how it is supposed to work. I thought the idea was that a tired or injured player was subbed off and the fresh one came into the match, so the tired players could be rotated onto the and off the bench. 13 minutes doesnt allow for much of that.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I have previously pointed out that Ross is not handling the Subb too well. Bringing the sub on with just 13 minutes left in the match is not how it is supposed to work. I thought the idea was that a tired or injured player was subbed off and the fresh one came into the match, so the tired players could be rotated onto the and off the bench. 13 minutes doesnt allow for much of that.
Trouble is I don't think there is any correct way to use a sub bb.

It will differ from team to team and week to week. Just have to use it as the coach sees best given the cards you've been dealt on any particular day.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

It would be good to actually SMASH a side for once though. Our percentage is pretty crap and, as there are a few teams that also have a draw and better percentage we need to get our skates on and kick a decent score.

At one stage there on Sunday it looked like it might have been one of those nights where we were going to go on with it but, maybe the bye caught up with us, and we stopped attacking.

I know we started our pre-season late but you'd think that we would have caught up with everyone else by now, fitness wise. :?

Megsie
Club Player

maybe you'd like Blighty back so you can booze with him....
then talk even more s***.

Richter
SS Life Member

Re: Finally ...

The_Merchant wrote: Honestly, posts like this give me the absolute $#*&%. Do you honestly think that my pleasure, and that of my fellow saints supporters, at getting to see the football team that I barrack for play in the grand final, two years in a row, contributes to a "loser culture" and that is the reason why we lost those Grand Finals. Perhaps we just lost to better teams on the day.

Mate, you should post more often. More sense in that one post of yours than probably a 1000 of many other posters.

I read a couple of quotes from Jack Nicklaus recently...
I've had a lot of majors where I didn't play well until the last round. Keep yourself in contention; that's the name of the game.
and...
Tournaments are won on a Sunday and on the back nine.
Fairly obvious analogy to be made with AFL footy final methinks.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...