Goddard linked to GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Dont believe BJ will ever leave stkilda...
Thomas
scully
palmer
rich

are the key signings apparently.....

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Hmmm.... slightly worrying but I'm not overly concerned.

If we win the flag next year, I really wouldn't care who leaves the club to pursue better options. If we don't win the flag next year I couldn't see our current group being capable of getting the job done, so either way I wouldn't view it as the worst thing in the world. I'm just glad he is contracted for next year so we can get one last tilt.
Two 1st round draft picks would soften the blow
Dont think we'd get 2 first round picks for BJ if he left uncontracted. Geelong only got that and Ablett is a brownlow medalist, 2 time premiership player & B&F winner(was he actually?)

Their compensation is all based on performances and stuff like that. BJ was top draft pick but really thats the only thing in our favour. We could poissibly get royally screwed if he went as uncontracted player... If he is going to go i would much rather him tell the club this year so we can trade him to GWS for couple 17 year olds and couple high draft picks.

Rhys Stanley is uncontracted at end of this season. Think we need to worry about him going, especially if he isnt given much game time in 2nd half of the year.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping those names are right and its not goddard.

For those who remember I was a stalwart defender of Ball not leaving St Kilda or Spider leaving on this and previous incarnations of this forum.

St kilda would be hard pressed to offer Goddard what he is worth to a GWS or GC.

Frankly I think unless we have a white knight to offer Goddard an 'environmental ambassadorship', (which is the biggest joke in the salary cap debacle', or a Greg Williams missus type PA role at 500k p/a (LAWL) we are going to struggle, really struggle.

IF i was GWS, given I have pretty much an open slather, I'd offer goddard 1.2 p/a for 4 years and negotiate up to 1.5m. Reiwoldt by example I wouldn't offer more than 1m tops, as an alternative.

Thats how much I value goddard. He can play midfield, outside ruck there isn't too much he can't do or play.

Looking valuable players, there is no-one in the league at or around Goddards age that I would be looking at as a captain.

I hope st kilda value him as well.

The only real problem is for us (not GWS) is that if we pay him what he is worth on the market, we lose a bunch of others.

That said I do hope we can bind him, as we get the back ended deal when he reaches 30 / 10 years, that is our big advantage.

1.5 m in his first year at 30 which counts as 750k on the salary cap.

Offer him a 4 year deal and hope he doesn't break down...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ross threw Thomas' name up to get eyes in his direction and get GWS to go hard. Garry Lyon wants Scully to stay but knows he is in the sights, then gets the Saints back in the firing line. Watch the shinanigans hot up toward the end of this and next year, they have 2 years of uncontracted players.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Where is the rest of what he said, that article is just one big selective quote.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

plugger66, re: Richmond. Last time I looked, they had had declining memberships for several years and had fallen below us and even the Ds. They haven't tasted much success for many years and strike me as a club without a specific sort of image to attract sponsors other than as a once great club with an intensely loyal, but ageing, fan base living on dreams of faded glory.

If they can't get it together on the field in the next five years or so, I reckon they're going to start to struggle. I wouldn't be surprise if they were pushed into merging with the Bulldogs: Melbourne's own Wests Tigers.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I seriously think Saints will lose at least one big name at the end of this year.
If so we need to be pro-active and get a good return. I dont want another get nothing in return result.

Out of interest if people had to choose between BJ and Roo on a trade to GWS or GC who would they choose?

Id keep BJ and trade Roo - just based on age.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

actual interview is included in this thread- without selective editing.
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=70157

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jays
Club Player

dont think he will go

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Saintbrat, that interview suggests to me BJ is not going anywhere, he clearly states he has been looked after by the club. And I think he is a far stronger chatcter than players such as Brown at GC . But if he did goI would hope we are compensated big time.

I love this club
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

God i hope Goddard stays at the saints.

Don't want him to remebered as a mercenary, traitor like horrible money chasing Abblett. Crushing the hopes of junior saints supporters everywhere who wear his number on their backs and idolise his ability to soar for massive speckies.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
To the top
SS Life Member

Gary Lyon, of newspaper, radio and television ad nauseum.

Also host of the Melbourne Football Club pre-season launch at the MCG - where he wore his Melbourne Football Club affiliation and influence on his sleeve for all to see.

He chooses a hypothetical of the contracted Goddard of St Kilda going to GWS.

No mention of Scully from the Melbourne Football Club being signed by GWS - and what compensation MFC would be looking to achieve.

Funny about that.

Deliberate unsubstianted muck raking designed to unsettle an opposition club and take the focus off his club.

saintwill66
Club Player

Gary Lyon completely destroys his hypothesis by suggesting McEvoy be bracketed with Goddard in a deal with GWS - does he really seriously want to deprive St Kilda's of their developing No.1 ruckman, God knows the Saints ruck stocks are not over-abundant!

On the other hand, I have long considered that GWS really needs to follow the example of the GC Suns and sign a high profile player like Gablett to give the new team immediate status - and when you look around you really can't go past our very own Nick Riewoldt. Just imagine the publicity Roo's move to GWS would attract, the biggest name in the game.

Riewoldt's value to St Kilda, both as a leader and player, is no longer what it used to be, or rather, promised to be. I know this will cause an outcry by many Saints loyalists, but the thrust of G Lyon's article was the huge benefit that a carefully grafted deal with GWS is to be gained by both teams - a "win-win" for both the Saints and the Giants.

A fully fit Koschitzke coupled with Siposs as key forwards, plus crumbing forwards Schneider and Milne will be infinitely more productive than the failed "go to Roo" policy. Goddard will be the natural choice as Captain, a role that will make him an even better player, unlike Riewoldt who is not comfortable with the weight of expectations thrust on him at St Kilda.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

saintwill66 wrote:Gary Lyon completely destroys his hypothesis by suggesting McEvoy be bracketed with Goddard in a deal with GWS - does he really seriously want to deprive St Kilda's of their developing No.1 ruckman, God knows the Saints ruck stocks are not over-abundant!

On the other hand, I have long considered that GWS really needs to follow the example of the GC Suns and sign a high profile player like Gablett to give the new team immediate status - and when you look around you really can't go past our very own Nick Riewoldt. Just imagine the publicity Roo's move to GWS would attract, the biggest name in the game.

Riewoldt's value to St Kilda, both as a leader and player, is no longer what it used to be, or rather, promised to be. I know this will cause an outcry by many Saints loyalists, but the thrust of G Lyon's article was the huge benefit that a carefully grafted deal with GWS is to be gained by both teams - a "win-win" for both the Saints and the Giants.

A fully fit Koschitzke coupled with Siposs as key forwards, plus crumbing forwards Schneider and Milne will be infinitely more productive than the failed "go to Roo" policy. Goddard will be the natural choice as Captain, a role that will make him an even better player, unlike Riewoldt who is not comfortable with the weight of expectations thrust on him at St Kilda.
Whilst you're going to be howled down on here suggesting Rewoildt as the one to go,I'd agree if we were to swap one with GWS. Goddard has 6 elite years left,Nick has 3 at best. We've seen what happens to us when we lose a midfielder for the year,it destroys us. When we lost Roo last year it had minimal impact. It's a midfielders game,let's load up on them.
Let the abusing begin

Not sure about the fit Kosi part though. It's looking more like he's finished as an AFL footballer

Bring back the Lockett era
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintwill66 wrote:Gary Lyon completely destroys his hypothesis by suggesting McEvoy be bracketed with Goddard in a deal with GWS - does he really seriously want to deprive St Kilda's of their developing No.1 ruckman, God knows the Saints ruck stocks are not over-abundant!

I agree. At present Roo is a shadow of his former self (although there has been a suggestion of some extenuating circumstances). Either way he is not value for money at the present time. When I said big names I was actually thinking Gilbo is the most likely to go to GWS.

"A fully fit Koschitzke" - this will never happen. Saints need to start PLANNING for a new tall fwd rather than just HOPING. For whatever reason , physical, mental and general changing of the game means Kosi will never ever be a force in AFL football again. Can people please stop perpetuating that he will somehow come back and be an influence. Time to move on.

Tiprat44
Club Player

Suggesting that kosi is the future is even more stupid than suggesting to trade roo.

"Schneider, here is Hayes belting forward....GODDARD!"
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:If i was goddard and offered 1.5 m p/a for 4 years, i'd take it in a flash.
Didn't you just say on another thread that if a saints player signed with GWS you would sack them on the spot? Now you're saying you don't blame them for going. I'm confused about your position?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

I agree. At present Roo is a shadow of his former self (although there has been a suggestion of some extenuating circumstances). Either way he is not value for money at the present time. When I said big names I was actually thinking Gilbo is the most likely to go to GWS.

"A fully fit Koschitzke" - this will never happen. Saints need to start PLANNING for a new tall fwd rather than just HOPING. For whatever reason , physical, mental and general changing of the game means Kosi will never ever be a force in AFL football again. Can people please stop perpetuating that he will somehow come back and be an influence. Time to move on.
Has he not been in our best pretty much every week?

Strewth...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

He certainly has been among the best - I'm not sure what some are expecting - you just can't please some folks, must be a challenge constantly looking for faults :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Captain Impossible
Club Player

Can someone please clarify?

Is Goddard contracted to the end of 2012?

If he is how would GWS get him next year? And if they could, what compensation would we receive?

To the top
SS Life Member

The game is becoming harder and harder for KPP forwards - and it impacts on the obvious output of both the under done (no pre-season off surgery and only 6 games to date) Koschitzke and Riewoldt at St Kilda - and others at other clubs.

Look at Franklin's goals against Geelong.

They were Milne type opportunistic goals.

Simply, with 191cm mid-fielders dropping back allowing the double teaming of forwards and the moving of them off the contest, forwards are finding leading space and one on one contests harder and harder to engineer.

So you look for them to compete against superior numbers and bring the ball to ground to give the support troups a sniff of an opportunity.

This is where the work is done because these support troups in the forward area have to be able to compete against superior numbers and put pressure on such that there is a hurried clearance which finds its way to the wall and comes straight back in again.

You can not allow a side to run against your wall, using numbers because they will breach it.

Witness the last 20 minutes of Geelong v Hawthorn (which was all I saw of that game) but that stanza demonstrated what you need - and if the ball is continually in your forward area and the opposition can not clear that area you will eventually score - even tho out numbered.

In the last stanza against Footscray we had no tall option time and again - and were kicking to 3 small forwards whose only opportunity was in getting the ball to ground and keeping the ball in a contest.

My view is that we still need a tall option - if only to attract a crowd in the arial contest and attempt to even the numbers at ground level.

A "big" contested mark is an absolute bonus.

The days of the "pretty" full forwards (or any "pretty" forward) are, for the present at least, gone.

The game is being played on a postage stamp on the oval and with defensive walls on the extremities of that postage stamp.

The rest of the oval is uninhabitated.

So we need quick, skilled in close players who can hand off to advantage - including in a tackle - or to a close down play.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:Old clubs are going to get screwed over.
Yeah, the extent that the "M" word will resurface.

Great Western Kangaroos, Gold Coast Demons, anyone?

In saying this, if our "window" is closed, we sure as hell won't be safe from it :(
Not until the end of 2016 though. 9 games a week guaranteed for 5 years.
I think we are now perhaps the safest of the less fashionable Melbourne clubs. The move to Seaford may have annoyed some, but it has been a good move in a marketing sense: consolidating our exclusive association with the vast southern suburban area of Melbourne.

The Roos will always be in the gun, as they have no real geographical association with anywhere and can't attract many fans and members even when they are winning premierships. The Demons face similar problems. Richmond too have a bit of a geographical branding problem seem to have a lot more rusted-on fans, but surely can't be attracting too many new ones from Gen Y.

If you take those three clubs out of Melbourne, you would have a good geographical spread with the remaining six: Bombers (North), Hawks (East), Saints (South), Bulldogs (West), Carlton (inner city), Pies (social misfits from all over).
You cant be serious about Richmond. They have huge support, something we could just dream about. They aint going anywhere and I reckon Melbourne are safe for one reason, the name Melbourne. We are probably only ahead of the WB and North so anyone happy for clubs to merge or fold better get a little worried.

As for the OP, if BJ wants to go at the end of 2012 then let him. It will be rebuilding time then and we would get similar picks to Geelong for Ablett. It will be a good start and the draft will be back to normal by then.
i agree if Goddard wants to go, let him. as long as we get the same compensation as geelong did, fine by me.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:If i was goddard and offered 1.5 m p/a for 4 years, i'd take it in a flash.
Didn't you just say on another thread that if a saints player signed with GWS you would sack them on the spot? Now you're saying you don't blame them for going. I'm confused about your position?
no inconsistency

I'm a loyal saints fan, hypothesizing.

Yes I as a person, with 3 kids, would put myself, my future and my family ahead of a football club.

say 3 million over 3 years opposed to 6 million over 4 years, its a no brainer from a personal perspective.

That said, as a st kilda fan, IF a st kilda player signed mid season with the opposition, I'd drop them immediately, I think its poor faith from the player to sign midseason.

If they sign at the end of the season, that would be disappointing, bitterly, and I would never support that player again, but it is in my opinion, withing the rules of fair negotiation.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Captain Impossible wrote:Can someone please clarify?

If he is how would GWS get him next year? And if they could, what compensation would we receive?
Goddard is contracted until end of 2012. GWS can get 1 uncontracted player from each club over a two year period (2011 & 2012)

Basically anyone thinking we will get what Geelong did for Ablett are kidding themselves. We will get same compensation as Adelaide did for Nathan Bock which was a pick at end of first round...

It basically comes down to what they have acheived intheir career.

Gary Ablett was a 2 time premiership player, brownlow medalist, 4 time all australian, 2 B&F's.

Goddard is a 2 time AA, and 2nd in B&F.

Bock was a AA, B&F winner

So would expect a late first round pick as compensation if he was to go to GWS next season.

Tiprat44
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:
Captain Impossible wrote:Can someone please clarify?

Goddard is contracted until end of 2012. GWS can get 1 uncontracted player from each club over a two year period (2011 & 2012)

Basically anyone thinking we will get what Geelong did for Ablett are kidding themselves. We will get same compensation as Adelaide did for Nathan Bock which was a pick at end of first round...

It basically comes down to what they have acheived intheir career.

Gary Ablett was a 2 time premiership player, brownlow medalist, 4 time all australian, 2 B&F's.

Goddard is a 2 time AA, and 2nd in B&F.

Bock was a AA, B&F winner

So would expect a late first round pick as compensation if he was to go to GWS next season.
If that is what we get it's a bloody disgrace!

"Schneider, here is Hayes belting forward....GODDARD!"