clint jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

played a great game in his own right.

The fact that he kept (or davey kept) davey quiet was a bonus

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I've mostly stayed out of discussions regarding CJ, mainly because he's been in terrible form, but partly because I'd already said my piece on him.

A lot of people have come out of the woodwork in defence of Dempster but surely he is the textbook example of a good shutdown player who is almost a complete liability with the ball in his hands. At least Clint goes in for the hard ball. His game yesterday was in another class from Dempster.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:I've mostly stayed out of discussions regarding CJ, mainly because he's been in terrible form, but partly because I'd already said my piece on him.

A lot of people have come out of the woodwork in defence of Dempster but surely he is the textbook example of a good shutdown player who is almost a complete liability with the ball in his hands. At least Clint goes in for the hard ball. His game yesterday was in another class from Dempster.
Not sure many defended Dempster yesterday and yesterday Jones was better. The previous 2 weeks Dempster was better. I dont get what you are saying.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Not sure many defended Dempster yesterday and yesterday Jones was better. The previous 2 weeks Dempster was better. I dont get what you are saying.
In terms of track records I think Clint has proven his value to the team in spite of his shortcomings. Davey's scalp just another of many. Pointless to question his spot simply because too many others in the team are more deserving of scrutiny.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
ando051
Club Player

Lets all face it, Whitey is not there for his football skills he is there to tag a dangerous opponent every week and he has done that JOB very well.

Don't forget he is coming back from a ankle injury early in the season that disrupted his preparation. At least he has a big ticker and gives 100% every week.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:No. Jones really cant kick, unfortunately.
Is he really a poor kick? Or does his awkward style give that impression?

Yes, he's very one sided but he is reasonably effective !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
borderbarry wrote:No. Jones really cant kick, unfortunately.
Is he really a poor kick? Or does his awkward style give that impression?

Yes, he's very one sided but he is reasonably effective !!
nope can't kick.
which made me wonder in a passage of play when he handballed to BJ .. BJ hanballed it back to him ??? what was BJ thinking?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:The issue there being that a backwards handball to a teammate under pressure who takes possession for half a second and is tackled registers as 'effective'.
That would be an ineffective handball. Champion Data's definition:
Handball ineffective: When a handball is not advantageous to the team but does not directly turn the ball over (clanger) to the opposition the handball is recorded as ineffective.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
AccidentallyTim
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I'm just going to pat him on the back for a great game, and not feel the need to be picky.
+1

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CJ's role is to take an opposition matchwinner out of the game.

This week : Mission accomplished.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He actually got some of the ball yesterday which he hasn't done much of for a while

his normal game = less possessions and a more effective opponent

yesterday's game is what should be tolerated as basic standard for Clint or we should be developing a better prospect.

ANyone

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:He actually got some of the ball yesterday which he hasn't done much of for a while

his normal game = less possessions and a more effective opponent

yesterday's game is what should be tolerated as basic standard for Clint or we should be developing a better prospect.

ANyone
on his day CJ is a valuable part of the team, can shut someone down and has something that is rare in our team atm...leg speed.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

In our current situation, it's perform or you will be under consideration to be moved on at the end of the year. I think that is going to have a big impact on the likes of Peake, Jones, Gram, to name a few. Let's see who can meet the expectations.

"Team balance" is less of an issue when you are deperate to win games.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:The issue there being that a backwards handball to a teammate under pressure who takes possession for half a second and is tackled registers as 'effective'.
That would be an ineffective handball. Champion Data's definition:
Handball ineffective: When a handball is not advantageous to the team but does not directly turn the ball over (clanger) to the opposition the handball is recorded as ineffective.
I would have thought that is referring to a handball that misses the target and the ball becomes in dispute. If it lands in the arms of a teammate, even if someone with no hope of disposing it, it counts as effective.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:He isn't that bad a kick, Ray who is usually reliable butchered two entries today. He kicks like the karate kid on a pole but it seems to get a result. It is a Cometti myth that he can't kick. Just an awful style.
Sorry, CJ's a bad kick straight up. When you seperate the disposal efficiency into kicks and handballs, it really shows. Ray's a good kick of either foot... who has the unfortunate tendency to get over-excited, typically will make some beautiful kicks, but the unfortunate tendency to turn a few over.

What CJ does have going for him that probably isn't given enough credit is he's very good at the handball. After forcing the contest and winning it, he'll put the ball up onto the chest of a teammate at full sprint.

He runs fast, runs hard, tackles and contests... if he could kick he'd be a superstar. Instead he's a nemesis.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
spert
Saintsational Legend

Cj's kicking style leaves a lot of room for error- the ball is in the air a long time before foot contact, and starts high, and foot contact is high, so an accurate or long kick is a bit more hit and miss as the ball can never be properly positioned.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:In our current situation, it's perform or you will be under consideration to be moved on at the end of the year. I think that is going to have a big impact on the likes of Peake, Jones, Gram, to name a few. Let's see who can meet the expectations.

"Team balance" is less of an issue when you are deperate to win games.
Team balance and trying to find the right mix of players would be more important than wins right now. Bring on 2012

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
What CJ does have going for him that probably isn't given enough credit is he's very good at the handball. After forcing the contest and winning it, he'll put the ball up onto the chest of a teammate at full sprint.

And I would add that he is better than many at the club in that he gets off hanballs to advantage...rather thana team-mate about to get tackled.

CJ has a place in the team. However unfortunately we have too many poor kicks in the team.

Ray is normally better than he was against the Demons. Maybe his "flu" is affecting his kicking.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

And I would add that he is better than many at the club in that he gets off hanballs to advantage...rather thana team-mate about to get tackled.

CJ has a place in the team. However unfortunately we have too many poor kicks in the team.

Ray is normally better than he was against the Demons. Maybe his "flu" is affecting his kicking.
Yep. Classic case of snot-foot.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

CJ is a ball winner in his own right, and often the pressure is because he is in at the coal face like your friend Ball. He is under pressure because he is in winning the hard ball, Lenny can butcher the passes when he doesn't have players moving for him. Ball looks better at the Pies because players run into space to receive the dish off. Clint is always moving and is the first to break into space when he sees a team mate take possession. Shepherds, spoils and tackles, any failings he has are made up for in what he brings. He is an old fashioned no fuss footy player in my book, not some trumped up athlete. He won't win a brownlow but I would have him in our top 10 players for importance to the team balance. seriously the f$#@ing snipers on here are unbelievable.

starsign
Club Player

which made me wonder in a passage of play when he handballed to BJ .. BJ hanballed it back to him ??? what was BJ thinking?
nah go on ....bout time you learnt how to kick!!!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Seems to have just clicked again.

Has that frenzied attack back, at the ball, the man, the pack. How many times was he on his knees at the bottom of the pack today?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Isn't CJ, like Peake, a Sandgroper?

Sandgropers normally lift a mile when back at home.

Nicky Winmar would've been about the best ever AFL player had been an Eagle not Saint.

saintcrazy
Club Player

Well he (Cuz) was a Saint , and all the better for us that he was. I thought CJ played a great game today, as did Peake (Nuff said).