Luke Miles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Would be in the team right now. He'd be able to take the quick small/medium forwards and give a big of dash out of half back. His skills may not have been silky smooth but he didn't butcher it. Much better kick than Jones, Gram or Gilbert. He was also very cool under pressure; probably had the beat debut of a saints player for a few years. Maybe there was a commitment issue or something, but I really think he should have been kept. It's not like he'd drag us to the finals, but would add some pace and drive to a stagnant defence.
Yep we got rid of him and no one picked him up. He is an ideal player for our side now. Can I ask you why his only games in 3 years were when we rested players before the finals? He lacked plenty of things and that is why he didnt play and why he got delisted and no one else was interested in him.
Can you tell me why he didn't deserve more opportunities after a very handy debut? He was an emergency many times and was struck by injury at very unfortunate stages.

He's a good size for a medium/small defender, lightning quick, takes the game on and is a surprisingly good spoiler. He's not a naturally skilled or creative player like a Goddard but surely he offered more for 2011 than Dempster or even Baker.

St Igmata
Club Player

Maybe just stock up on average players.
Miles isnt the problem.
The problem is talent better than Miles.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

the problem is we kept players that were worse than Miles

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I thought miles debut was Pretty good. He looked to have some nice run, could feel where the play was moving, seemed ok.

Who knows if we would have turned out better than blake, Dawson, dempster etc.

St Igmata
Club Player

skeptic wrote:the problem is we kept players that were worse than Miles
Hair splitting

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Every player on our list seems to have just needed more opportunity...

Ideally fielding a side of 38 would please everyone.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so hang on....
better kick than jones or gilbert, and fast

and was delisted

strange

i thought he did alright in those games he played...(did he play 2?)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so hang on....
better kick than jones
So am I, but you wouldn't want me on our list :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Strange supporters some people. To many ordinary footballers on the list but upset a guy who played 2 games in 3 years was delisted. I am sure he would be good for us now. Just what we need a 4th year seconds player.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

blimey what a surprise
you disagree
:shock:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Every player on our list seems to have just needed more opportunity...

no. but keep some reasonable and balanced rate of churn based on form.
we had a 2 year period where stability outweighed everything and players got selected even if they had 8-10 quiet games in a row.

St Igmata
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Spinner wrote:Every player on our list seems to have just needed more opportunity...

no. but keep some reasonable and balanced rate of churn based on form.
we had a 2 year period where stability outweighed everything and players got selected even if they had 8-10 quiet games in a row.
but made 3 gfs and should have won 2 .

sainta
Club Player

I thought I had read ages ago that Miles wanted to go back home to WA.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:L Miles is back playing with Swan Disticts in WAFL and the last 3 weeks has been named in best players. Was injured at start of this season ankle probs still.
he has been great for the swannies ... Interestingly enough another ex saint is currently tearing up in the WAFL Mark Hutchings .. Has been the standout player in the comp this year an is at this stage one of the favourites for the sandover medal .. I keep an eye on a few of the ex saints in the WAFL Mgough Rix Hutchings miles ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

sainta wrote:I thought I had read ages ago that Miles wanted to go back home to WA.
No wanted to stay at St Kilda but the club didn't want him ... He still holds hope of making it back to afl level

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I think we're onto something here: If we could just go back in time, keep all the guys we delisted, and delist all the guys we kept...

Captain Fizz anyone?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
defacto
Club Player

wafl performance is a bit hard to judge, see hansen. kicks 10 goals in the wafl, plays for west coast the following week and cant kick a goal to save his life.

andrew krak was easily the best player in the wafl last year. dominated games. now he plays for collingwood and doesnt impact the game at anywhere near the same level in a dominant side.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Miles >> Mcqualter

But then again...

Gumby Elliot / Wayne Thonborrow / David Strooper are all >>> Mcqualter

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
loris wrote:L Miles is back playing with Swan Disticts in WAFL and the last 3 weeks has been named in best players. Was injured at start of this season ankle probs still.
he has been great for the swannies ... Interestingly enough another ex saint is currently tearing up in the WAFL Mark Hutchings .. Has been the standout player in the comp this year an is at this stage one of the favourites for the sandover medal .. I keep an eye on a few of the ex saints in the WAFL Mgough Rix Hutchings miles ...
Is Matthew Ferguson still playing over there?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Ferg is playing at Sale this year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Ferg is playing at Sale this year.
Thanks plug :)

loris
Saintsational Legend

sainta wrote:I thought I had read ages ago that Miles wanted to go back home to WA.
Definitely didn't want to return. He was devastated when he was delisted. So a very close family source tells me. Cupid's bow and arrow had struck him, in the form of new relationship with a Melbourne girl and he though his future was with the Saints and living in Melbourne. By all account he was shattered.

Maybe he wasn't blue collar enough for Ross.?? Who knows??? Just a thought, definitely not a fact. Read a comment in "The Bubble" from Ross about Miles and that might give you an inkling to Ross' thought on Miles and his background.

Miles had always been a private school educated lad. Not just a promising young footballer who gets a scholarship to a private school aka Gardiner & Goddard to help the school footy team out. Ross seems to accept that type more methinks :wink: :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Definitely didn't want to return. He was devastated when he was delisted. So a very close family source tells me. Cupid's bow and arrow had struck him, in the form of new relationship with a Melbourne girl and he though his future was with the Saints and living in Melbourne. By all account he was shattered.

Maybe he wasn't blue collar enough for Ross.?? Who knows??? Just a thought, definitely not a fact. Read a comment in "The Bubble" from Ross about Miles and that might give you an inkling to Ross' thought on Miles and his background.

Miles had always been a private school educated lad. Not just a promising young footballer who gets a scholarship to a private school aka Gardiner & Goddard to help the school footy team out. Ross seems to accept that type more methinks :wink: :wink:
bit like ball......sheedy never got on with hird.....the prince and the pauper so to speak....works for me....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
loris wrote:

bit like ball......sheedy never got on with hird.....the prince and the pauper so to speak....works for me....
But that hypothesis doesn't explain why our coach 'gets on' so well with our captain?
Roo was privately educated at one of Brisbane's leading Catholic schools (All Saints) - maybe their equivalent of Xavier in Melbourne.

Maybe we should look elsewhere for the reasons for the 'friction'?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:

im not quiet sure that is correct ... Luke's family are far from being the toffynose private school snobs ... luke spent a lot of time as a volenteer fire fighter and worked a blue collar job before being drafted ....

he was gutted that he got delisted but he had an idea it was going to happen the people at the swannies rate him very highly ill expect him to be the captain of the club in the not to distant future ..