Pick the team for Thursday night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

eppo67
Club Player

eppo67 wrote:
spert wrote:In: Kosi, Mini, Johnson, Winmar
Out: Raph, Gambler, BJ and Roo rested
That's the team for me to spert. Really want to see Big Will in. (that doesn't sound quite right does it? 
Hang on I didn't notice the BJ & Roo rested part. Your kidding right??

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:BJ isnt at his best but why would anyone think he is slightly on notice especially since there would be 18 players in front of him to be dropped. If you are going to have a go at a big name I think Joey may be first cab off the rank but he aint close to being dropped either. Anyway 3 know of the 3 outs. Is Jimmy injured. That could be 4. So it is Kosi, Blake, and than either Baker, Winmar or Johnson. Probably go with Bakes. The only other possible change is Stanley out for Johnson.
What makes you think Gwilt could be injured, because they held Blake back from Sandringham ?

Out: Gamble, Clarke and Peake
In: Koschitzke, McQualter and Winmar :shock:

If Gwilt is injured, Baker or Blake
Johnson could come in if Kosi is not right or to replace Stanley

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
starsign
Club Player

Bardon Saint wrote:Just heard on SEN by Ross Lyon "Birth certificates are out the window". And then something like 'we're looking for players who want to play and be out there'. Maybe a surprise or two??
words I also heard were "we are only picking guys that will have a crack"

noob
Club Player

McQualter Johnson Kosi.. If no kosi.. Winmmarrrr

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:
Bardon Saint wrote:Just heard on SEN by Ross Lyon "Birth certificates are out the window". And then something like 'we're looking for players who want to play and be out there'. Maybe a surprise or two??
I read the "have a crack" bit and then read people picking Mini as an in...

i don't get the connection....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:BJ isnt at his best but why would anyone think he is slightly on notice especially since there would be 18 players in front of him to be dropped. If you are going to have a go at a big name I think Joey may be first cab off the rank but he aint close to being dropped either. Anyway 3 know of the 3 outs. Is Jimmy injured. That could be 4. So it is Kosi, Blake, and than either Baker, Winmar or Johnson. Probably go with Bakes. The only other possible change is Stanley out for Johnson.
What makes you think Gwilt could be injured, because they held Blake back from Sandringham ?

Out: Gamble, Clarke and Peake
In: Koschitzke, McQualter and Winmar :shock:

If Gwilt is injured, Baker or Blake
Johnson could come in if Kosi is not right or to replace Stanley

i think you are pretty close... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote: words I also heard were "we are only picking guys that will have a crack"
:lol:

That's kind of funny.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

starsign wrote:
It's now been turned into an article:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/j ... 6040798619

"The philosophy will be to play players who will have a real crack. So birth certificates are out the window, we're about an effort and growth mindset, so we're going to pick players that are going to have a crack and represent our members in a manner that's expected.

"The general view was all the things that happened were preventable and we just need to be disciplined and work together. It's very premature to be giving away the season after Round 3, particularly with the capacities we have.''

spert
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:
eppo67 wrote:
That's the team for me to spert. Really want to see Big Will in. (that doesn't sound quite right does it? 
I was thinking Launceston 09..lets put the young guys to the test.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
eppo67 wrote:
eppo67 wrote:
I was thinking Launceston 09..lets put the young guys to the test.
I might agree if we already had 18 wins in the bank.

Alas we're about 18 short 8-)
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Mon 18 Apr 2011 11:05pm, edited 2 times in total.

saintbob
SS Life Member

INS: Kosi, Cripps, Johnson, Blake and Winmar

OUTS: Gram, Clarke, Stanley, Gamble and Peake

I hope RL wasn't just blowing hot air, when he said birth certificates were going out the window.
And I reckon Gram may just be the one who gets left out, with the call about "players who want to be out there"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:INS: Kosi, Cripps, Johnson, Blake and Winmar

OUTS: Gram, Clarke, Stanley, Gamble and Peake

I hope RL wasn't just blowing hot air, when he said birth certificates were going out the window.
And I reckon Gram may just be the one who gets left out, with the call about "players who want to be out there"
Dont think so. He may have even got a vote off our coach last game.

Badlands
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:There has been a lot of discussion about his general attitude. It may only be perception. Why was he given 3 days off after the Richmond game. Possibly not a reward for having good stats.

I have to say Cairnsman, while BJs body language hasn't been ideal, I think it's more borne out of frustration with his own form, than anything that suggests he is displaying a bad team ethic or attitude. He sets extremely high standards and expects to meet them. He's in a lean trot (albeit only three games) and i imagine it's killing him - but he'll bounce back strong. Let's not conceive of anything rash like dropping him.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:There has been a lot of discussion about his general attitude. It may only be perception. Why was he given 3 days off after the Richmond game. Possibly not a reward for having good stats.

I have to say Cairnsman, while BJs body language hasn't been ideal, I think it's more borne out of frustration with his own form, than anything that suggests he is displaying a bad team ethic or attitude. He sets extremely high standards and expects to meet them. He's in a lean trot (albeit only three games) and i imagine it's killing him - but he'll bounce back strong. Let's not conceive of anything rash like dropping him.
+1

Dropping Goddard at this stage would not help him or help the team.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I liked Ross' UNDERSTATEMENT at the presser yesterday when he said that Clarke, Gamble & Peake would be under pressure to retain their spots this week, and not one of the rocket scientists in attendance picked up on it !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:INS: ...Cripps...
OUTS: Gram...
i'd be hugely surprised if gram was dropped given that many named him as best two weeks ago. and sandy watchers on here suggest that cripps is a fair way from senior footy - after all, he missed the sandy game two weeks ago for no apparent reason. doesn't give much confidence that he'll run out an afl game.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:

So you've observed his poor body language too. So have a lot of others. Whatever the reason, it is not acceptable. I am also drawing a connection between the comments made by Shane Wakelin in Jon Ralphs article in the HS last week and his body performances in three rounds of footy and also the fact that he took 3 days off after two rounds of footy. If players like Goddard are clearly walking around with bad body language (attitude) then that surely has to rub off on his team mates. I know this is a hard pill to swallow but if he is struggling with the GF losses then he needs to be managed. You can't leave it go unchecked especially if he thinks that this team has gone as far as it can go.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Badlands wrote:

So you've observed his poor body language too. So have a lot of others. Whatever the reason, it is not acceptable. I am also drawing a connection between the comments made by Shane Wakelin in Jon Ralphs article in the HS last week and his body performances in three rounds of footy and also the fact that he took 3 days off after two rounds of footy. If players like Goddard are clearly walking around with bad body language (attitude) then that surely has to rub off on his team mates. I know this is a hard pill to swallow but if he is struggling with the GF losses then he needs to be managed. You can't leave it go unchecked especially if he thinks that this team has gone as far as it can go.
But how do you know it's going unchecked? How do you know it's not being managed?

Dropping a player to the VFL is a sign visible to all that something is being done however anything else is going to happen away from the public's eye. And I would say BJ is nowhere near having a run for Sandy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think while Gram hasn't been great, he has been having a go. I would think Gamble, Raph and Gwilt have looked ordinary for a few weeks and would be under pressure. I would love to see at some stage Simpkin get a go for Fisher in the backline and put Fisher up forward. Our biggest failing so far has been an inability to take clean possession in the front half. And then the defending the ball coming out, Fisher is a great mark, good kick on goal and is now a natural defender of space. Simpkin is a big solid unit and would be the player being groomed for CHB in the future.

PJ
SS Life Member

Both Gram and Goddard have been "having a crack" almost no chance of being dropped. BJ marks himself pretty harshly it's not about the team. He just needs to be carefull his frustration doesn't result in free kicks.

I think the birth certificate thing just means anyone can get a gig regardless of their development level - Ledger perhaps.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would drop Montagna before Goddard, at least he looks pissed off about losing, Joey and Dal don't seem to care as much. Guys like Gram and Goddard at least don't seem happy about their predicament. The reason all of them will be in is the fact we don't really have any potential replacements for 25 possession a game players through the midfield. Smith and Armitage are already in, Jack Steven would not get that much run out of his groin, Schnides is coming in on no match practice. Everyone else in the reserves is either too small, not shown anything or not a mid.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

The birth certificates might mean old rather than young . . . .

Perhaps Banger might play on a half forward flank on Thursday night????

goddardisgod
Club Player

St Chris wrote:The birth certificates might mean old rather than young . . . .

He would be, if he was on the list.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:The birth certificates might mean old rather than young . . . .

Steven King in the ruck? :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

kozi just had a bub??
maybe he meant he wasnt getting all soft over that fact and he wasnt getting a game just because he was raring to go after the birth of his child because he is on cloud nine?

but i doubt it
koz in
and fire up son!