Such a great thing happened tonight, massive improvement!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

At least Rob Harvey is doing his job...still. Adam Kingsley, what? Yeah nah just kick it to Roo its totally worked the last few years right. Screw it.

Perhaps a bit harsh, it all started with the team selection - there was noone but Roo in the positive side of the 50 and simply, that is why we lost. Disapointing effort from the coaching staff, especially Ross since I consider myself one of his biggest fans, terrible team to start with, and terrible alteration (if there was even any) to the game plan.

I just don't understand how the paid professionals don't get that the we'll never win the big thing with the likes of Clarke, Peake and McQualter running around being carried week in week out - although admittably they were hardly alone at being sh#thouse tonight.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:I just don't understand how the paid professionals don't get that the we'll never win the big thing with the likes of Clarke, Peake and McQualter running around being carried week in week out - although admittably they were hardly alone at being sh#thouse tonight.
What was wrong with Raph? Good game IMO.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SaintBot wrote:I just don't understand how the paid professionals don't get that the we'll never win the big thing with the likes of Clarke, Peake and McQualter running around being carried week in week out - although admittably they were hardly alone at being sh#thouse tonight.
He's certainly practised his hospital handpasses over the summer, he looks even more natural at putting his teammates in danger and making them look shtty when they lose the ball...as per usual, nothing's changed.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
degruch wrote:
He's certainly practised his hospital handpasses over the summer, he looks even more natural at putting his teammates in danger and making them look shtty when they lose the ball...as per usual, nothing's changed.
If he repeats his game next week, I'll be happy.

kalsaint
Club Player

wasaintsfan wrote:in 09 we drew the flood out so well... when they went forward we went back... and they followed
Yep but we tend to turn it over nowadays more due to inept kicking skills.

We dont have the speed to create so we need to protect those with the ball to give them the best chance to kick to another team mate without error. Mind you on tonights performance and late last year kicking was so bad at times that rebound goals from turnovers in the midfiled were the biggest source of scoring for the opposition.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:We really need to score more, create more opportunities.
Really????

matrix
Saintsational Legend

did we need a forward when we drafted armo??

i dont think we did did we? :roll:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Such a great thing happened tonight, massive improvement

SainterK wrote:Inside 50's

We had 52 of them, 52

Let that sink in, even with McEvoy/Blake in the ruck.

52 inside 50's, as opposed to multiple 30 somethings in the finals series last year.

One of our major problems last year was inside 50's and midfielders pushing forward and having shots on goal.

10 midfielders had shots on goals, we went inside 50+ times.

Roo of course had no chance to make the most of the entries, but that is a seperate issue and one that will need to be rectified.

This is so significant, especially against a good side against Geelong.
love ur positivity.
except geelong aint good anymore. ablett, chappy, selwood ling out. they are mediocre now at best. and the amount of 3 on 1's in our fwd line was just appalling. undermines the inside 50 stats. made them meaningless.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

We had 52 of them, 52

52 inside 50's, as opposed to multiple 30 somethings in the finals series last year.

One of our major problems last year was inside 50's and midfielders pushing forward and having shots on goal.

Roo of course had no chance to make the most of the entries, but that is a seperate issue and one that will need to be rectified.

the amount of 3 on 1's in our fwd line was just appalling. undermines the inside 50 stats. made them meaningless.
Yes, but 3 on one in our forward line can be addressed though.

The ball continues to go in that often, with Roo Kosi Milne Schneider...one of Gilbert/Gamble....and Ben continuing to rest forward.

If we were playing our normal forward structure last night, I'd be very concerned, but we weren't.

For some strange reason we basically went in with the one tall.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Inside 50's = 52. 2009 early average = 53. Tick.

Inside 50's against = 54. 2009 early average = 38. Cross.

Inside 50's per goal = 8.7. 2009 early average = 3.3. Cross.

Kaboom.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

We had 52 of them, 52

Crack open the champagne, I'm now jumping for joy, thanks for that, really not sure why I got pissed off at all

FAN F****** TASTIC

Time to celebrate, 52 inside 50's woohoooo

might mean something if we had a forwardline

Would definitely mean something if some numbnut had not draft Armitage instead of Jack Riewoldt

that's what's sinking in with this club

it's run by incompetent fools and surrender monkeys

one monumental **** up after another

but hey who cares

we had 52 inside 50's so lets party
You're a glass smashed against the wall type guy.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Hope we have a 100 inside fifties next week.

Seems to be the new measure.

Dont worry about the fact that we are slow, poorly skilled, innacurate and predictable, lets go the inside 50's

Most overhyped stat in the game.

We really looked less than ordinary last night.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

We had 52 of them, 52

Crack open the champagne, I'm now jumping for joy, thanks for that, really not sure why I got pissed off at all

FAN F****** TASTIC

Would definitely mean something if some numbnut had not draft Armitage instead of Jack Riewoldt

but hey who cares

Visionary, perspicacious, perspicuous were the word I'm sure you were looking for!

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
satchmo wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

We had 52 of them, 52

FAN F****** TASTIC

but hey who cares

Visionary, perspicacious, perspicuous were the word I'm sure you were looking for!
Nuh! :P

At least it's a different bunch of "incompetent fools and surrender monkeys" than when you last projectile vomited a thesaurus! 8-)

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
satchmo wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

We had 52 of them, 52

FAN F****** TASTIC

but hey who cares

Nuh! :P

At least it's a different bunch of "incompetent fools and surrender monkeys" than when you last projectile vomited a thesaurus! 8-)
One saving grace, at least we have a great coach this time, not the buffoon who drafted Ball ahead of Judd amongst the the multitude of stuff ups that up until now have cost us anywhere between four to five premierships!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The word that came to mind is rude, people offer a perspective and get personal and attacking replies.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote: One saving grace, at least we have a great coach this time, not the buffoon who drafted Ball ahead of Judd amongst the the multitude of stuff ups that up until now have cost us anywhere between four to five premierships!
At least Grant Thomas' game style was worth watching.
I find myself largely going to watch us out of habit now, not because we're remotely enjoyable to watch, most of the time. I'm usually just glad the games are over now, whereas I used to leave wanting more.
Last night, for example, was just about the longest 3 weeks of my life. I went there because I heard there was a game of footy on, but I don't know what the hell it was I ended up watching.
Thomas was far from perfect and I was so happy it wasn't funny when he was given the ass, but he did get us awfully close on two occasions and in at least one of those years (2005), we had about 6 of our most important injured during the finals. Imagine if that happened to us now?
If we were missing that many of our best now we'd be FARKED, yet in 2005 for example, we were still leading the Prelim at 3/4 time, even with that many missing, or playing on one leg.
I was reading through some old sports liftouts from back then recently and our injury list was incredible, leading into those finals. We were being written off in about round 20 because we were missing so many. The likes of Penny, Goose, Hamill, Kosi, Gehrig, etc, all injured around or in finals time. Then Kosi and someone else got injured during the game in that Prelim!
If he'd had the same relative lack of injuries in those two years that we've had in the past two it would be hard to imagine that we wouldn't have won both.
So aside from injuries, I don't think there's very much between them.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saint66au wrote:Bless your optimism SainterK, but Id have preferred 30 inside 50s that were delivered cleanly, accurately and resulted in either a mark or a score

For such a close game, the difference in how the two sides moved the ball into their forward line was very stark
Reality is we got pumped in the GF replay.

Something has to give, Ross told us we were going to kick it long, so I don't know why we're overly surprised.

I trust him that it will work out in the long run, but I think he truly knows that 30 odd inside 50's will ever be enough.

The mids were having a crack tonight, that was more my point, it was stunted...overthought....generally awful.

But how else do you improve on an area without trying?
Forget about the Grand Final Replay.

It's irrelevant, we trained to play ONE Grand Final not TWO!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Shhh

Dont let facts get in the way of a good story.....

Wasnt gt the worse coach we have had, worse than tim......didnt he cost us three flags?
Dont list the key injuries.....it was the coach

On lyon

I wouldnt mind if our disgusting gp was going to ultimately be successful....who in their right mind thinks it will....seriously.....having at least two fwds whose job it is to stifle defenders, whilst being offensively useless and bizarre

We are the worst team in the afl to watch......which naturally gifted players like

Goddard, dal, joey, gwilt, lenny, milne, schnieder, riewoldt, s.fisher, kosi...

Why is it so.....good coach r.lyon.....perhaps great....but he is not coaching sydney.....

Great coaches utilise the strength of their list to construct a gp.....not make their list play a gp regardless....

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

very good coach is Ross - but nfi about how to attack.
We blame the players, but for gawd sake look at our game plan - how about we adapt it to the list we have.
We've got worse as players have had their natural attacking instincts curtailed.
we've also been poor at developing players - this will hurt as our champs age.
Look at what malthouse has done in adapting our game plan (sudney's game plan). He has attacking nous. We need it.
I'm afraid we've come very very close - but may have wasted our supremely talented list. If we don't get there this year we'll realize that appointing Ross to the team we had was a mistake.
Give him one more year - if we fall short again it's time for a change. If we make it then all praise the genius - it's a fine line between success and failure. If a flag is success, then unfortunately we fall on the other side of the line.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

As I said earlier in the thread, we clearly have made changes to our game plan and were more attacking, but it's clearly going to take them some time to adjust to this new way of playing and to making decisions and executing on the run.
If we're patient and they don't give up on it before it starts to take effect, we'll most likely improve on how we played last year.:
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 26 Mar 2011 2:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
SainterK wrote:I think it's hugely significant.

Keeping in mind the forward line is missing Kosi and Schnieder.
Yes because we all know KOSI is the answer!

The thing that's significant is we overlooked Jack Riewoldt and drafted Armitage instead

Which buffoon was responsible for that premiership costing decision?

Westaway must go!
ummm barks hinesite is a great thing but i do remember at the time of that draft asking the forum do they believe if Jack was available at pick 9 should we take him ... overwhelming responce from even you was that we shouldnt draft Jack because it was only his last name that people were getting worked up about and we should be focused on the best midfeilder for that first pick ... considering at the time we had a cupboard full of tall forwards yet were running low on mids ....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I really must be missing something given the panic on here. We had no forward line, but it's certainly nothing that can't be rectified. In fact by elevating Archer, they obviously realised it could potentially be a problem, but held off for whatever reason.

If you asked me what problem I'd rather have between.

A forward line of Roo/Kosi/Milne/Schneider but quite often struggling to get the ball in there, and mids not even having a go.

or

A night where for some bizzare reason we had a forward line (if we to be perfectly honest) of soley Roo. But heaps of ball being pumped in there...

Which one is harder to fix?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

We had 52 of them, 52

love ur positivity.
except geelong aint good anymore. ablett, chappy, selwood ling out. they are mediocre now at best. and the amount of 3 on 1's in our fwd line was just appalling. undermines the inside 50 stats. made them meaningless.
they still have 12 guys with two premiership medals in the side ... yes they were weaker then the geelong of old hence why Scott went defensive against us instead of the normal geelong run and gun approch ...

dont discount Geelong are still a very strong side ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:The word that came to mind is rude, people offer a perspective and get personal and attacking replies.
Ok I apologize for any perceived rudeness, I didn't mean for you to take it personally, but surely you cannot be serious?

We play like that for the rest of the year, we won't make top four and it will be yet again another wasted year regardless of how many inside 50's we rack up!