Doc tributes to be sent to the club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Terrible to lose a club great. RIP :(

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

A legend in the truest sense.

Farewell champ.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

I grew up watching the Doc play and I'm one of those who loved him then and have ever since.

Ross Lyon is quoted as saying that Doc was the quintessential St Kilda player. Over the past 40-50 years, no matter how poor the team, we've always had at least one player who made you glad that you barracked for St Kilda and no-one else. Darrel may have captained a premiership team, but he would have been that one player no matter which year he played.

It's a great loss and it's very sad.

RIP

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Far to young to see him play,but remember the unbelievable hype as a kid when he returned to Moorabbin in 87 to coach the club,it was like the favourite son had returned. When he had the stroke at the end of the 87 season it spurred the side on such was there love for him

We don't have much history to celebrate ,so to lose another piece of it leaves an emptyness. In an era that has gone so so close to being our greatest,it's feels like we're decsending into darkness again

Bring back the Lockett era
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

RIP Doc.

Simply the best.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

So incredibly saddened to hear of the passing of the wonderful and legendary Darrel Baldock. He made me proud to be a tasmanian and a saints fan.
You will be sadly missed Doc, rest peacefully. My heart goes out to the Baldock family.
A true Sainter Hero

Red, White and Black Forever

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
spert
Saintsational Legend

One of the greats RIP. I remember reading about him saying how he played in the '66 premiership with wobbly knees, and I know he would have given his all on that day. When he returned as coach in '87, the club lifted and players seemed to play with a lot more purpose and direction during that time.

Thomas
Club Player

Goodbye Doc and thanks for the memories, you were one of the all time greats, we are all richer for having seen you play. R.I.P.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I saw him play his first game for us and his last and those in between. His ball handling skills were remarkable. But so were his other skills like marking and kicking. As others have remarked, his understanding with Stewie was uncanny. Then again, playing in front of someone who could pin point a fifty metre pass either foot is something that our present CHF would rather enjoy too.

I went over to Launceston in late 2009 for the reunion game against Hawthorn and was able to briefly chat to the Doc and Allan Jeans (who was looking after him). I just thanked them for the enjoyment that they had brought to me as a young Saints fan in the 60s.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

R.I.P Darrel

Every day people pass away and glowing tributes are espoused by all who new them. This tends to happen regardless of the type of person they have been whilst on this planet, the amount of respect they have shown to others, the totality of what they have achieved etc.

However occasionally someone comes along and deserves the combined sum of all those tributes and Doc you were such a human being. The enormous amount of tributes on this forum, plus the flood of them in the media, does not arise from any perceived duty to speak well of those who have passed. They are a true reflection of the regard you were held, not just in the football world but in the general community as well.

Did I ever see you play? Well I did but I have no memory of it. You see I did not come from a family of football followers. In 1965 a well meaning uncle of mine, a bomber supporter, took me along to the Grand Final. I was only a young boy at the time. So yes I did see you play though fortunately my memories of that day are very scant indeed.

By the time I was old enough to take myself off to the footy you had been retired for several years. But like all true champions you never left Moorabbin. Your legacy, and that of the team mates you lead to glory in 1966 hung high, even though none of us at the time would have guessed it would remain our only flag more than 40 years later.

In the late 80s you answered the call to once again lead your beloved Saints, this time from the coach’s box. Although that period was not filled with enormous success those of us who rocked up each week, come hail or shine, enjoyed ever moment of the ride. And those of us who did not witness your playing career at least had the opportunity to see you as more than just the guy in the grainy old black and white footage during our golden era. And we weren’t disappointed.

You loved the club as we love the club and we are all that much better off that you graced our lives.

Our sadness is tempered somewhat by the knowledge that your ongoing health problems, over many years, had reduced your capacity to enjoy life as you were certainly entitled to do. You are in pain no more, though that knowledge only tempers the pain in our hearts by a degree commensurate with the winning margin in 1966.

R.I.P. Doc, R.I.P.

PS: Rev up those Saints in Heaven, we need all the help we can get.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Great memories of a champion,IMO best i have seen

RIP champ

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Growing up as I did in Sydney, I only Doc play a couple of times on the appalling telly coverage of that era (as I recall it, the camera often couldn't keep up with the ball and one's viewing experience was largely confined to seeing the occasional mark interspersed with lots of guys lining up to take kicks.

However, even so, it was obvious that Doc was a long way ahead of most of his contemporaries and one of the all-time greats.

I wish Doc could have lived long enough to see another St Kilda premiership, but it wasn't meant to be. RIP.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

To Maxstar22, I was at the Doc's first or second training session at the Saints. That he could kick with either foot, amazed evryone in attendance.

The footage cannot provide the "electrifying" feeling and expectations generated around the ground about what Doc could/would do as the ball headed down the ground in his direction.

He was a great achiever in everything he did. The book by Peter Lyons, titled Darrel Baldock, the incomarable "Mr Magic" is a most worthwhile read at this sad time for Doc's family, friends and Saints supporters. Clearly from the tributes flowing in from those who knew him, he was indeed a great man.

From this sad event, let's hope our current boys get their heads and feet back on the ground and gain some inspiration from Doc's persona and achievements. If they do, it's not a total waste.

RIP Doc. :cry:

Behind Play
Club Player

I had the honour of meeting, The Doc once, what a gentleman. I will never forget him. RIP you true Saint.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

RIP Doc. God bless. Condolences to his family and friends.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
poatina
Club Player

Darrell Baldock

I saw him play several times after his St Kilda career, in intra - State and State games in Tassie. Even if that was past his prime, he was still mesmerising , truly " dazzling ".
Ross Lyon could do worse then to make every player on the list read Peter Lyons' book - they might learn
1. they are not as talented as they might think they are
2. they have not achieved as much in their careers as they might think they have
3. humility and sportsmanship are not inconsistent with winning and
4. how you conduct yourself and give your best without complaint or excuses is even more important to how you are remembered than is your talent.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Doc was my boyhood hero.
I saw most of his games for the Saints.
A truly remarkable player - the very best I've seen.

RIP.

Elvis
Club Player

Thankyou Doc and may you Rest In Peace.

You will be greatly missed.

Garibaldi
Club Player

As a 9 year old living in Tassie in 1966 Doc has always been special to me. I have had a framed photo of him hanging in my lounge room for years and years. The kids thought he was a relative.

boo effin hoo
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

RIP Doc. Thanks for your extraordinary contribution to our club.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Can a mod sticky this thread....and change the title to 'doc tributes - to be sent to the club'

Ta

PakenhamSaint
Club Player

On Saturday night One HD will have a tribute to the great man starting at 8:30PM.

Schillaci
Club Player

Incredibly sad. Reading the tributes brings a tear to the eye.
I am another who never saw him play but my dad, uncle and grandfather always spoke of his ability and strength as being extraordinary.
I remember him as our coach and love the photo of him in this thread with Spud, Plugger, Joffa and Winmar.
Demetrio's words sum up not only our loss but that of the AFL's.

R.I.P Doc.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Doc was my boyhood hero.
I saw most of his games for the Saints.
A truly remarkable player - the very best I've seen.

RIP.
Was he really better than Roo??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
yipper
SS Life Member

RIP Doc, you were a champion. The greatest Saint of all. Geez they owe you Doc, they owe you big time. This StKilda team MUST pay you back for the great that you were with a flag!! There was only ever one Doc - LEGEND. RIP great man, oh how this team MUST deliver you a flag. Do it for Doc, just do it Saints.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.