Which players will stand up in 2011???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:It seems that players with height are given far more tolerance and opportunity to perform than players of the midfield/flanker size.

e.g.

Cahill: 192cm - yet to show anything for his years on the list.

Kosi : 197cm - carried so often last year

Lynch: 192cm - First round draft pick - one game rarely sighted.

Stanley 200cm - given more opportunities than his stats deserve.

Pattison 198cm - now delisted, but a Richmond neverwas given unearned games with us.

As opposed to

Miles 185cm - showed promise but delisted

Eddy 182cm - 33 games including a GF with broken bones.

It appears that if you are over 190cm you'll get chance after chance at the expence of a much better shorter player.

Personally I'd prefer a team of shortish hard at the ball players rather than tall logs who can't find the ball themselves.
Well Eddy wasnt one of those and Miles had 3 years to get a game and got 2 at the end of last year when we were resting players. Not sure if those 2 mentioned are good examples as they have been given a few years to show something.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I want BJ to step up (again), because then he will be a lock for my supercoach captain.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

RW&B wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
RW&B wrote:
St Ick wrote:
Anyway, Tom Lynch is a first round draft pick, in his 3rd (?) year in the system - he is a smart footballer and if given the chance and gets the confidence, I reckon is the type of footballer who will never look back once he is a regular.
saintsRrising wrote:
Maybe...but first if the rumours are correct he has a major attitude problem to overcome.

Rumour has it that was why he was left on Fletcher...to demonstrate how much he needs to improve if he wants to make it.

If he shapes up then yes he is chance to come on next year. It would seem though that as a forward that gamble and Gilbert will in front of him.
Interesting that Tom Lynch was Dragons and Metro (Joint) Captain yet has an attitude problem. Same rumours had surrounded Armitage at a similar age and it seems, after reading Misson's book, that they were correct.
Which book is that??
The Bubble. In the first 100 pages somewhere he says he is always on the lookout for who comes back from the post season break fit and switched on and he says something to the effect of 'When Arma first came to the club he had the young party boy image but came back fit and determined for last preseason and ran great times as a result'. My cousin is borrowing my copy so cant find the exact quote for you right now.

Is that something that would surprise you, DWOODROW? To me, Armo is an unusual player to watch when he plays as he has moments when he looks so fiercely determined that he would die for a kick or a solid tackle and then there are other times in the same game that he seems to lapse. I have no idea whether this is a physical or mental thing. I can't say i know anything about his training habits first hand and Mission seems to imply that Armo has rectified any problems he may have had. Anyway, I for one think Armo can cement a spot as a tough inside mid alongside Lenny Hayes in 2011. Couldn't imagine a better player to learn from than Lenny either.
RW & B - your posts on this issue dont make sense. The Misson quote says armo was a good trainer. But you say that the rumours of a bad attitude were confirmed by Missons book. Not sure what your point is here? Seems you are contradicting yourself.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

RW&B wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
RW&B wrote:
St Ick wrote:
Anyway, Tom Lynch is a first round draft pick, in his 3rd (?) year in the system - he is a smart footballer and if given the chance and gets the confidence, I reckon is the type of footballer who will never look back once he is a regular.
saintsRrising wrote:
Maybe...but first if the rumours are correct he has a major attitude problem to overcome.

Rumour has it that was why he was left on Fletcher...to demonstrate how much he needs to improve if he wants to make it.

If he shapes up then yes he is chance to come on next year. It would seem though that as a forward that gamble and Gilbert will in front of him.
Interesting that Tom Lynch was Dragons and Metro (Joint) Captain yet has an attitude problem. Same rumours had surrounded Armitage at a similar age and it seems, after reading Misson's book, that they were correct.
Which book is that??
The Bubble. In the first 100 pages somewhere he says he is always on the lookout for who comes back from the post season break fit and switched on and he says something to the effect of 'When Arma first came to the club he had the young party boy image but came back fit and determined for last preseason and ran great times as a result'. My cousin is borrowing my copy so cant find the exact quote for you right now.

Is that something that would surprise you, DWOODROW? To me, Armo is an unusual player to watch when he plays as he has moments when he looks so fiercely determined that he would die for a kick or a solid tackle and then there are other times in the same game that he seems to lapse. I have no idea whether this is a physical or mental thing. I can't say i know anything about his training habits first hand and Mission seems to imply that Armo has rectified any problems he may have had. Anyway, I for one think Armo can cement a spot as a tough inside mid alongside Lenny Hayes in 2011. Couldn't imagine a better player to learn from than Lenny either.
RW & B - your posts on this issue dont make sense. The Misson quote says armo was a good trainer. But you say that the rumours of a bad attitude were confirmed by Missons book. Not sure what your point is here? Seems you are contradicting yourself.

RW&B
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
RW&B wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
RW&B wrote:
St Ick wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Which book is that??

Hah yep your right. Basically Mission said that Armo loved a big night out and also had issues keeping his skinfolds in check when he first arrived at St Kilda. However, Mission also said Armo impressed him by coming back fit and determined last preseason. So Mission confirmed that Armo originally had some bad habits but has since, at least in part, rectified them.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Which players will stand up in 2011???

saintsRrising wrote:Well for me as a St Kilda fan part of my pure enjoyment each season is watching and seeing which players improve or not each year.

2011 promises to be a "special" year in that there are just so many players that "could" make a difference in 2011.

This certainly adds to the excitement of the coming season for me.
SR - I think 2011 is the time we altered our expectations for Farren Ray. He gets forgotten between established stars and everyone desperate to earmark the next "star" with guys like Steven and Armo. But I think we should expect a lot from F Ray. 25 yo. 125 games. No longer a young fringe player. Should be hitting his peak in the next 3 years.

Also at a similar age group - we need more from CJ this year. Seemed to go off his tucker in 2010. Nor sure whether it was mental or physical. And its make or break for Geary. Geary is too good for VFL so needs to show hes a good AFL player now.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

RW&B wrote:
Hah yep your right. Basically Mission said that Armo loved a big night out and also had issues keeping his skinfolds in check when he first arrived at St Kilda. However, Mission also said Armo impressed him by coming back fit and determined last preseason. So Mission confirmed that Armo originally had some bad habits but has since, at least in part, rectified them.
cool gottya. thanks for that. was just out of context cos i havent read book. so all makes sense now. ill have to go and read it...

RW&B
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
RW&B wrote:
cool gottya. thanks for that. was just out of context cos i havent read book. so all makes sense now. ill have to go and read it...
No worries Con. It is a good read and certainly opened my eyes to what goes on inside an AFL club. Some awesome Ross Lyon quotes and one-liners the highlight for mine!

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Which players will stand up in 2011???

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Well for me as a St Kilda fan part of my pure enjoyment each season is watching and seeing which players improve or not each year.

2011 promises to be a "special" year in that there are just so many players that "could" make a difference in 2011.

This certainly adds to the excitement of the coming season for me.
SR - I think 2011 is the time we altered our expectations for Farren Ray. He gets forgotten between established stars and everyone desperate to earmark the next "star" with guys like Steven and Armo. But I think we should expect a lot from F Ray. 25 yo. 125 games. No longer a young fringe player. Should be hitting his peak in the next 3 years.

Also at a similar age group - we need more from CJ this year. Seemed to go off his tucker in 2010. Nor sure whether it was mental or physical. And its make or break for Geary. Geary is too good for VFL so needs to show hes a good AFL player now.
You make a good point there. We spend so much tfime focussing on to ends of the playing spectrum aka.....how good Roo/Goddard/Hayes are AND how avg are guys like Mini/Eddy as "role players" that we let the Farrens of the world off quite easy. Jones did appear to sliplast year which with his skills IMO he cant afford to do. Throw Peake in here to, hes been round AFL lists long enough now...and Gram (injury aside) must become a player again in 2011.

“Yeah….nah””
DWOODROW
Club Player

RW&B wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
RW&B wrote:
St Ick wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Which book is that??

I wouldn't say it surprises me but my question was relating to the book. Obviously information coming from someone who has inside knowledge of the football club and its personnell would be more beneficial than heresay. Plus I'm trying to get the book and can't here in FNQ. I will be in melbourne in 2 weeks so will pick it up there i reckon.
If the start of this year is anything to go by and the training I did and saw him do then I am absolutely champing at the bit to see him play this year.
Have a look at his face book page. :wink:

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

DWOODROW wrote:Plus I'm trying to get the book and can't here in FNQ. I will be in melbourne in 2 weeks so will pick it up there i reckon.
If you can't get down to Moorabbin and have trouble finding it, Melbourne Sports Books in Flinders St. should have copies.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
DWOODROW
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:Plus I'm trying to get the book and can't here in FNQ. I will be in melbourne in 2 weeks so will pick it up there i reckon.
If you can't get down to Moorabbin and have trouble finding it, Melbourne Sports Books in Flinders St. should have copies.
Thankyou. I appreciate it. I'm going to try and see the sainters train so hopefully will get it there.
Once again thanks. :)