Which players will stand up in 2011???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Which players will stand up in 2011???

Well for me as a St Kilda fan part of my pure enjoyment each season is watching and seeing which players improve or not each year.

2011 promises to be a "special" year in that there are just so many players that "could" make a difference in 2011.

This certainly adds to the excitement of the coming season for me.

* There is a brace of good young players all ready to try and force their way in....I think combined with a coaching willingness to give fresh blood a bit more opportunity.

Steven: Set to bloom.
Armo: Needs to work harder when playing. Will 2011 be his year?
Stanley: Has excited me from Day 1. Still very light..will be interesting to see him after the pre-season. Can he concentrate to play more 4 quarter football?
Geary: Must use the ball better
Smith: Lot to like about this guy.
Simpkin: Ready and waiting....just not sure ifa gap will open for him in 2011.

* Cripps[/b. will this first year player with his pace get some senior gametime in 2011? Also Winmar was an injury write-off for most of 2010. Will he surprise in 2011?

* Gwilt took a major step in 2010. Can he back it up in 2011, or even improve again?

* Big Ben is still young in ruckman terms...but can he improve his ruckwork in particular in 2011?

* Kosi?? Must be teetering on keeping his place with Ben and Stanley chasing it. Reportedly hampered by an ankle throughout 2010...can he rediscover his 2009 output?

* Gamble: Not as big as Hamill (who was not tall), but StKilda has really struggled with our "third forward" since Hamill had to retire prematurely.

He and Gilbert seem to be destined to bea twin strategy in solving our "third forward" problem. If solved this in itself will go a long way to improving the Saints in 2011.

* Gardiner: With Ben still learning, Rhys even younger...and Kosi never quite getting the handle of ruckwork IMO Gardiner in 2011 will remain crucial to our Premiership chances. Our season could well hinge on the post season knee surgery that Gardi had. Would not surprise me to see him nursed through the year to be peaked at finals time.

* Schneider: One of the few StKilda players in 2010 to have individually better years. I am expecting more of this in 2011.

Zac:
was truly outstanding in the finals of 2010. This may well have been a turning point in his career. If he can continue on it that vein in 2011, it will set our defense up nicely for 2011.

* Walsh: He steadily improve as a player in 2010. I am hoping for more of that trend in 2011. If he continues that improvement he may even crack it for a senior game or two.

*Mini: His spot must be under the pump with gamble recruited and with Gilbert being moved forward. The way the pies evolved the Saints gameplan expose Mini's lack of pace and he was often not able to get into positions in 201 to hurt.

Raph: Will he at last conquer his injury hoodoo? If not then 2011 may be his last.

First bounce in 2011...I can't wait.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

When I read the subject line, Lynch came to mind for me. Then didn't even see his name among the heap listed above.

I am sceptical of the Gilbert move, while noone has really mentioned it or questioned it, he was 'trained up' to play forward a few years ago and that never really eventuated - I honestly think he is most important to us as a defender, isn't he one of the best in the afl for marks against opposition kicks? And his dash is important too.

Anyway, Tom Lynch is a first round draft pick, in his 3rd (?) year in the system - he is a smart footballer and if given the chance and gets the confidence, I reckon is the type of footballer who will never look back once he is a regular.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:

And his dash is important too.
Which is why I see Gilbert playing as a HFF/Mid..rather than as a leading forward.

I see his value very much as breaking the lines.....and not just asa marking target.
St Ick wrote:
Anyway, Tom Lynch is a first round draft pick, in his 3rd (?) year in the system - he is a smart footballer and if given the chance and gets the confidence, I reckon is the type of footballer who will never look back once he is a regular.
Maybe...but first if the rumours are correct he has a major attitude problem to overcome.

Rumour has it that was why he was left on Fletcher...to demonstrate how much he needs to improve if he wants to make it.

If he shapes up then yes he is chance to come on next year. It would seem though that as a forward that gamble and Gilbert will in front of him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Another I missed was:

Gram: Injury basically meant that his 2010 wasa write off. A fit and firing gram would bea big plus in 2011. An in-form gram is a goal-scorer too.

Maxstar22
Club Player

Personally, I would like to see all the players step up in 2011.

Even Lenny, Rooey and BJ can take it to another level.

Can you imagine that....Wow 8-)

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Maxstar22 wrote:Personally, I would like to see all the players step up in 2011.

Even Lenny, Rooey and BJ can take it to another level.

Can you imagine that....Wow 8-)
If BJ takes it to another level we might as well stop Brownlow votes in about Round 6 and just give him the damn thing ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I like Maxstars vibe, if it's left to a few to step up, it won't be enough. Everyone needs to evolve and grow.

St Lenny
Club Player

BJ is coming into his prime so can improve, it frightening how good he can be :lol:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personsally would love to see Raph play the type of football we all know his capable of... consistently

IMO of the list that u mentioned (minus Gwilt), he's the one that could be viewed as nearly as A-Grader by the end of the season

older saint
SS Life Member

I would liketo see Raph Stand up - literally for the whole season.

Overall though it is not about individuals but the collective getting better. The biggest thing i would like to see is a closing of the gap of a number of players between a bad game and a good game.

Even if you are not having a good day you can pressure, tackle, sheppard etc and have an influence. We have too many players though who this gap is too big. If it becomes smaller then overall consistency improves and the ability to turn a performance around within a game can occur.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Intead of picking a guy who is injury prone and may just not be good enough to stand up, shouldnt we collectively be hoping a group of third and fourth year players stand up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

welcome back saintsational! i missed you.

i think the big bolter will be Tom Simpkin. If he can hold the oppositions 3rd best forward it will allow gilbo to go forward and sam fisher to do what he does best. run off , rebound and attack forward.

busso mick
Club Player

For us to improve on last year we need 3 or 4 young guys to put pressure on the incumbents. I think Steven, Al Smith, Lynch and Armo are capable of stepping up if given the chance. If Tommy Walsh can get elevated then he can also make a difference with his athletic approach. Also Stanley will only get better with games under his belt and is bearing down on Kosi's spot.

I think McQualter, Peake, Gram & Clarke need to lift if they want to be in the first 22. Our history with recycleds is pretty good and Polo & Gamble will be out to impress the coach and their new teammates, so they will be ones to watch with interest.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I am hoping we can have close to 30 players on our list all vying for a spot and deserving it.
I am hoping that Gamble may give our forward line a 25 to 40 additional goals this year.
That Kosi reaps 40 plus, and Roo stays healthy and reaps 50+ and Milney keeps his average.
Let's hope that Polo finds some form, Peake finds some consistent form similar to what he showed in Qualifying and Prelim finals.
Raph plays 20 + games.
Stevens and Smith put pressure on for regular games, Armo becomes consistent to the point he cements a regular position.
All our recruits look exciting, Lynch shows he has a future.
Stanley, hope he becomes feared as an exciting 6 foot 8 speedster that can run, mark and kick goals.
If we have 320 guys, who all deserve a game because of good form, we will be hard to stop.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:I am hoping we can have close to 30 players on our list all vying for a spot and deserving it.
I am hoping that Gamble may give our forward line a 25 to 40 additional goals this year.
That Kosi reaps 40 plus, and Roo stays healthy and reaps 50+ and Milney keeps his average.
Let's hope that Polo finds some form, Peake finds some consistent form similar to what he showed in Qualifying and Prelim finals.
Raph plays 20 + games.
Stevens and Smith put pressure on for regular games, Armo becomes consistent to the point he cements a regular position.
All our recruits look exciting, Lynch shows he has a future.
Stanley, hope he becomes feared as an exciting 6 foot 8 speedster that can run, mark and kick goals.
If we have 320 guys, who all deserve a game because of good form, we will be hard to stop.
I think if we have that many guys then we may also be under salary cap pressure.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Another I missed was:

Gram: Injury basically meant that his 2010 wasa write off. A fit and firing gram would bea big plus in 2011. An in-form gram is a goal-scorer too.
a point scorer anyway :-) :lol:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote: If we have 320 guys, who all deserve a game because of good form, we will be hard to stop.
320 guys...that is some list :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am hoping Polo and Gamble cant get a game, because the youngsters all come on and get ahead of them.

RW&B
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Maybe...but first if the rumours are correct he has a major attitude problem to overcome.

Rumour has it that was why he was left on Fletcher...to demonstrate how much he needs to improve if he wants to make it.

If he shapes up then yes he is chance to come on next year. It would seem though that as a forward that gamble and Gilbert will in front of him.
Interesting that Tom Lynch was Dragons and Metro (Joint) Captain yet has an attitude problem. Same rumours had surrounded Armitage at a similar age and it seems, after reading Misson's book, that they were correct.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
DWOODROW
Club Player

RW&B wrote:
St Ick wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Interesting that Tom Lynch was Dragons and Metro (Joint) Captain yet has an attitude problem. Same rumours had surrounded Armitage at a similar age and it seems, after reading Misson's book, that they were correct.
Which book is that??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I am really looking forward to seeing Simpkin too. Can't say what I like of what I've seen, but the guy has something about him.

Jack Steven will crack it for some extra game time this season as will Big Mac. Those guys are easy calls as progression would suggest that they will be a fair way toward making it. stanley is still a bit raw and won't be as advanced as those 2.

Mini will see a fair bit of time at sandy as Gamble is a superior player.

Raph and Gram should both get more out of their bodies.

The Tommys will both play the season out at Sandy.

Kosi will have a break out season after letting us all believe we had hoped for too much. -Well a man can dream.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I am really looking forward to seeing Simpkin too. Can't say what I like of what I've seen, but the guy has something about him.

Jack Steven will crack it for some extra game time this season as will Big Mac. Those guys are easy calls as progression would suggest that they will be a fair way toward making it. stanley is still a bit raw and won't be as advanced as those 2.

Mini will see a fair bit of time at sandy as Gamble is a superior player.

Raph and Gram should both get more out of their bodies.

The Tommys will both play the season out at Sandy.

Kosi will have a break out season after letting us all believe we had hoped for too much. -Well a man can dream.
im depressed. really depressed. kosi is not going to "break out" in anything except maybe a rash. im adamant his only chance to continue his career is as a 2nd ruckman with the occasional pinch hit up fwd. And it seems we have young players who arent even that good with attitude problems. :-(
:cry: :cry: :cry:

RW&B
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:
RW&B wrote:
St Ick wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Which book is that??
The Bubble. In the first 100 pages somewhere he says he is always on the lookout for who comes back from the post season break fit and switched on and he says something to the effect of 'When Arma first came to the club he had the young party boy image but came back fit and determined for last preseason and ran great times as a result'. My cousin is borrowing my copy so cant find the exact quote for you right now.

Is that something that would surprise you, DWOODROW? To me, Armo is an unusual player to watch when he plays as he has moments when he looks so fiercely determined that he would die for a kick or a solid tackle and then there are other times in the same game that he seems to lapse. I have no idea whether this is a physical or mental thing. I can't say i know anything about his training habits first hand and Mission seems to imply that Armo has rectified any problems he may have had. Anyway, I for one think Armo can cement a spot as a tough inside mid alongside Lenny Hayes in 2011. Couldn't imagine a better player to learn from than Lenny either.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
saintbob
SS Life Member

I'd actually like to see at least one of our 2010 recruits really hit the ground running, especially those who were recruited to run through our midfield like Siposs, Crocker or Cripps.
We haven't had one have an impact in his first season for a while.

Also would like to see Polo and Gamble have good year's then maybe we won't have to keep playing blokes like McQualter and Peake.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

It seems that players with height are given far more tolerance and opportunity to perform than players of the midfield/flanker size.

e.g.

Cahill: 192cm - yet to show anything for his years on the list.

Kosi : 197cm - carried so often last year

Lynch: 192cm - First round draft pick - one game rarely sighted.

Stanley 200cm - given more opportunities than his stats deserve.

Pattison 198cm - now delisted, but a Richmond neverwas given unearned games with us.

As opposed to

Miles 185cm - showed promise but delisted

Eddy 182cm - 33 games including a GF with broken bones.

It appears that if you are over 190cm you'll get chance after chance at the expence of a much better shorter player.

Personally I'd prefer a team of shortish hard at the ball players rather than tall logs who can't find the ball themselves.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.