Big mid fielders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Big mid fielders

As well as BJ, I would like to see both Raph and Gilbo rotated through the midfield occasionally. And maybe even Tommy Walsh later on in the year. How do you reckon they would go?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Big mid fielders

borderbarry wrote:As well as BJ, I would like to see both Raph and Gilbo rotated through the midfield occasionally. And maybe even Tommy Walsh later on in the year. How do you reckon they would go?
IMO Raph is far to slow in the brain to even slightly be thought of as a mid. Gilbo may go ok but probably suited elsewhere. I would think Walsh would have as much hope as Plugger would have in making a running mid. All those players are better suited elsewhere.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert did alright when he played there in Rd 16, but I think expectations of him floating between the backline, midfield and forward line might be excessive....and left to BJ :wink:

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Gilbert did alright when he played there in Rd 16, but I think expectations of him floating between the backline, midfield and forward line might be excessive....and left to BJ :wink:
I think he could play a similar role to BJ and be partially successful at it. However, the big difference between the two is kicking ability.
BJ's kicking makes him what he is, if Gilbert can learn to be more efficient with his kicking he could become a great utility just like BJ.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My prediction for 2011.... Raph to get time in mid field. And he will do well.

PJ
SS Life Member

would think Walsh would have as much hope as Plugger would have in making a running mid
Not sure that anyone can put a position or skill range/capability on Walsh yet. Especially given that he's only played 1 season of aus rules and we are yet to see his development built on that season.

Perhaps we'll bring back plugger cos Grammy's looking a little beafy.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
would think Walsh would have as much hope as Plugger would have in making a running mid
Not sure that anyone can put a position or skill range/capability on Walsh yet. Especially given that he's only played 1 season of aus rules and we are yet to see his development built on that season.

Perhaps we'll bring back plugger cos Grammy's looking a little beafy.
Walsh seemed to player better in the midfield in the international series, he looked awkward playing in the forward half early. But it's a big call playing him in the midfield in the AFL

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:As well as BJ, I would like to see both Raph and Gilbo rotated through the midfield occasionally. And maybe even Tommy Walsh later on in the year. How do you reckon they would go?
IMO Raph is far to slow in the brain to even slightly be thought of as a mid. Gilbo may go ok but probably suited elsewhere. I would think Walsh would have as much hope as Plugger would have in making a running mid. All those players are better suited elsewhere.
Which plugger???

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:and Gilbo rotated through the midfield occasionally.
I think you will find that Gilbo will play HF rotating trough the midfield.

Walsh...can't see it in 2011...still has a lot to learn. If he cracks senior time in 2011 it most likely will be as a pure forward or defender.

Raph. HBF.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
PJ
SS Life Member

If Walsh doesn't make it onto the 1st list this year then I'm afraid it maybe experiment over. I can't see him at 23 waiting around to see if he can get a gig in the bigtime. It may be a matter of whether the coaching staff are prepared to give him a shot based on his form at Sandy or NAB. It also depands largely on what role they see him filling. AFL midfield is probably a big call ATM but who knows what he could produce given the license.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Cant see walsh as a midfielder.

Can see Raph. But like him as a quarter back defender. His kicking is seriously underrated.

Gilbert will be released more. Needs to work on his kicking as it is disgusting.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:My prediction for 2011.... Raph to get time in mid field. And he will do well.
agree. could be the making of him.

saint58
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:My prediction for 2011.... Raph to get time in mid field. And he will do well.
What about jimmy Gwilt playing more in the midfield has a great kick and is super strong,with pace.

Only weekness i see in him is his overhead marking but that is not much a issue in the midfield.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We went into this recruiting period with our eyes on mids, and we certainly got our fair share, I'd say we'd see some of them get a game before tinkering too much?

Agree on Gwilt being super strong and having a lovely kick though :)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
agree. could be the making of him.
Me too. I think his role is half back with runs in the middle.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:We went into this recruiting period with our eyes on mids, and we certainly got our fair share, I'd say we'd see some of them get a game before tinkering too much?
We could always play 22 on the ball like in the juniors :D

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I think increasing Raph's running load would be an interesting move. And by 'interesting', I mean something much more ban worthy.

I think Gilbert could play well in the middle, but I don't think he will. I would have thought Sam Fisher capable, but he's looked kind of lost on the few occasions he's wound up there. Gwilt has played there at lower levels, but he seems most comfortable in defence in the AFL. Roo could probably play there in a pinch, but I'm not sure why you'd want him to.

With the depth we already have though, I don't think we're searching for many to play through there. I bet Milne gets some runs this year to keep him active. Aside from that, it'll be a similar 8-10 as the guys who ran through there this year.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's ok to say put this player here and that player there but who is going to replace them in their respective posis? Especially if they are well established sold contributors. I wouldn't be putting Jimmy or Fish anywhere except leaving them in the back half. Gilbert in the forward line might work out but he might end up staying where he is. now that Gamble is playing for us.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of Gilbo, does anyone know the link between Adam Goodes and himself?

On Saturday night at a bar, I saw one of the more bizarre greetings I've ever seen, between the two.

Hugs, embraces, the whole deal.

It was strange.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

I don't think Raph is strong enough, he does not have the awareness under close pressure and does not have speed through traffic.

He has played some great games at half back and I would like to see him cement his position there.

This give a player such as Gilbert the opportunity to play up forward without losing a med-tall defender.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Speaking of Gilbo, does anyone know the link between Adam Goodes and himself?

On Saturday night at a bar, I saw one of the more bizarre greetings I've ever seen, between the two.

It was strange.
they're sleeping together, but don't tell anyone.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Speaking of Gilbo, does anyone know the link between Adam Goodes and himself?

It was strange.
I'd say it had something to do with the International Rules tour of Ireland.

Must have bonded real well :wink:

jays
Club Player

yeh thats true Image

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:IMO Raph is far to slow in the brain to even slightly be thought of as a mid.
That's a bit of a sledge on one of my favourite players, Plugger.

It's not as if he is mentally impaired, notwithstanding his epilepsy.

IMO, he just needs to go with his first instinct.

Having less time to weigh up his options (as he would get in the midfield) would be a good thing and he could surprise even "quick thinkers" such as yourself.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:IMO Raph is far to slow in the brain to even slightly be thought of as a mid.
That's a bit of a sledge on one of my favourite players, Plugger.

It's not as if he is mentally impaired, notwithstanding his epilepsy.

IMO, he just needs to go with his first instinct.

Having less time to weigh up his options (as he would get in the midfield) would be a good thing and he could surprise even "quick thinkers" such as yourself.
Slow thinking in football terms. Wouldnt have a clue as a bloke. Will never make a mid as you must have good first instincts. He hasnt and never will and anyway if we are losing Gilbo forward there is a spot for Raph back where he is better suited. Dont understand this fascination with moving guys from their best positions to places where they will never be as effective.