Eddy Gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

"His name was Robert Paulson"

I feel bad for the kid -hes a great trier-

And when u consider we drew gf 1 with eddy playing his trademark "passenger role" + a hobbling like an old woman j gram + hobbling like an old woman dal santo ..... U have to wonder if the coach had his contingency plans well enough worked out (I was demanding a smith get a game in the last few rounds when we had 2nd spot sewn up even if as just a contingency for the finals)and the continual "tough love" policy with armo (his anti-favourite) was counter productive for the team.

Lyon is fallible after all.[/quote]

spert
Saintsational Legend

That's footy I suppose for Eddy, he tried hard but I think RL could see a group of similar medium size players, none of whom are standing out in any position, so one or more needed to go. Eddy, Geary, McQ, Armo, and Steven all seem to be from the same mould. The Saints players at Sandy this year didn't really put their hands up for senior selection, just plodded along and did what had to be done, so not many options for RL. The mystery this season is McQ who seemed to lose form and attacking flair and ended up as a sort of tagger.

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Good call IMO, an honest player, but never going to get any better than what he is. Just a bit perplexing he played in 2 GF's then cut from the entire list 6 weeks later... Wonder if he may get a rookie spot.
Good luck in the future to the kid, he always played his heart out and gave everything for the jumper.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Must admit folks, that this decision has me scratching the old noggin :shock: I would have thought that if Eddy was considered good enough for a place in the GF, then he would have been retained.
But I guess the football department know better than this old codger, so I'll trust 'em!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Eddy only played 10 games in 2010...most when injuries had bitten into the team. So while he did play in the finals, he may well not have if we had had a full list to choose from.

Admittedly based on his only two senior games, I am more surprised at Miles going that Eddy.

Miles looked very good in both games. But who knows maybe his body has signs of still be injury prone.

IMO...Steven getting OP was the only reason he went out of the team.

For 2011...it would seem that Steven and Armo will be given ample chances to nail spots in the 22.

Add in Smith who did most things right last year in the AFL....and Geary who wins a lot more ball than Eddy (though wastes it) and you get four players who will be pushing into the 22.

Plus Stanley....

So if some of this group are going to be given their chance someone has to go.

Also what of Bruce? for him to knock back a year it would seem that at least one club will have given him a firm offer. Maybe the Hawks, or maybe us????

Raph looks like being given one more year. but f injury strikes again it may well be his last.

We need to improve, and so that means change. not radical change....but change none the less.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Eddy only played 10 games in 2010...most when injuries had bitten into the team. So while he did play in the finals, he may well not have if we had had a full list to choose from.

Admittedly based on his only two senior games, I am more surprised at Miles going that Eddy.

Miles looked very good in both games. But who knows maybe his body has signs of still be injury prone.

IMO...Steven getting OP was the only reason he went out of the team.

For 2011...it would seem that Steven and Armo will be given ample chances to nail spots in the 22.

Add in Smith who did most things right last year in the AFL....and Geary who wins a lot more ball than Eddy (though wastes it) and you get four players who will be pushing into the 22.

Plus Stanley....

So if some of this group are going to be given their chance someone has to go.

Also what of Bruce? for him to knock back a year it would seem that at least one club will have given him a firm offer. Maybe the Hawks, or maybe us????

Raph looks like being given one more year. but f injury strikes again it may well be his last.

We need to improve, and so that means change. not radical change....but change none the less.
I dont see how you could be more surprised about Miles than Eddy. 2 games in 3 years and those 2 at the end of the season when we were just giving guys a rest and there was little or no pressure in those games. i took those games like a grain of salt. On the other hand we get rid of a guy who plays in both GF's even with injuries and then we get rid of him. Either says a list management is no good or even worth in the most important game of the year we pick a guy that isnt worthy to be at the club no games later. Eddy is ahead of Miles on what ever you stat you use except pace.

super dooper
Club Player

With all of these delistings can someone please explain to me how J.Allen and L.Fisher are still on our list? Surely they're just clogging our list....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:With all of these delistings can someone please explain to me how J.Allen and L.Fisher are still on our list? Surely they're just clogging our list....
Jarryd may come good next year and I am expecting Fisher to improve as well.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm expecting to see Robert Eddy, and possibly Luke Miles on our Rookie list next year. This is not based on any inside knowledge, just a gut feel !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I'm expecting to see Robert Eddy, and possibly Luke Miles on our Rookie list next year. This is not based on any inside knowledge, just a gut feel !!
They have both been rookies previously. I dont see the point of them doing it again but I also dont see the point of getting rid of Eddy off the main list.

super dooper
Club Player

[quote="plugger66"][quote="super dooper"]With all of these delistings can someone please explain to me how J.Allen and L.Fisher are still on our list? Surely they're just clogging our list....[/quote]

Jarryd may come good next year and I am expecting Fisher to improve as well.[/quote]. Appreciate the sarcasm but, really why are they still on the list. J.Allen is lucky to be walking let alone run

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
super dooper wrote:With all of these delistings can someone please explain to me how J.Allen and L.Fisher are still on our list? Surely they're just clogging our list....
. Appreciate the sarcasm but, really why are they still on the list. J.Allen is lucky to be walking let alone run
They arent on our list. They were only on it last year for contract reasons.

shmic_s
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
super dooper wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
. Appreciate the sarcasm but, really why are they still on the list. J.Allen is lucky to be walking let alone run
They arent on our list. They were only on it last year for contract reasons.
This was officially stated by the club.
So therefore, i think this is why they haven't been 'delisted' as such.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Robert Eddy, cut down in his prime by a show pony umpire in a NAB Cup game.

Good luck for the future mate.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Robert Eddy, cut down in his prime by a show pony umpire in a NAB Cup game.

True that...

Maybe we're going into this next phase with some players in mind, if they get taken or go elsewhere, perhaps we will pick him up again?

I just can't imagine how gutted he and his family would be right now.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

33 games
10 goal 11

3.5 tackle average
3.5 mark
5.7 kick
5.9 handball

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Robert Eddy, cut down in his prime by a show pony umpire in a NAB Cup game.

True that...

Maybe we're going into this next phase with some players in mind, if they get taken or go elsewhere, perhaps we will pick him up again?

I just can't imagine how gutted he and his family would be right now.
Always a sad time for fans when players get the chop, regardless of how you may rate them.

In regards to Rob I was shocked, as surely it's rare that a player gets delisted when his last game was a GF. The fact his last 2 games were GFs means he'll now spend the rest of his life as the answer to a trivia question.

Emotions aside I don't think we've lost anything with his departure. At least for a player with limited ability he was given a fair go, perhaps more than many other players who have been given the flick over the years.

I wish him all the best, and although he's not in my best 22 I'd be happy enough if he finds his way back onto one of our lists after the Drafts.

ThePunter
Club Player

David O'Halloran and Robert Eddy.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:The fact his last 2 games were GFs means he'll now spend the rest of his life as the answer to a trivia question.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

St Lenny
Club Player

Considering the amount of injuries he had this year including not getting a full preseason in, I think he was stiff to get delisted, feel for him.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:Considering the amount of injuries he had this year including not getting a full preseason in, I think he was stiff to get delisted, feel for him.
what berbakov wants berbakov gets and he didn't want eddy.
you need to be 6'3"-6'4" to be on his book.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Never nice to lose your job, especially when you've probably put your whole life into making it happen.

Simple fact, however, was that Eddy wasn't ever really good enough to justify his position long-term.

He may find a home with the Suns or GWS, both would find him serviceable.

Like many, he may go on to prove us wrong by delisting him but I think it's a fair call.

Miles too had his chance - albeit a small one - but probably didn't have the natural skill and ball-winning ability at the elite level to complement his pace.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Never nice to lose your job, especially when you've probably put your whole life into making it happen.

Simple fact, however, was that Eddy wasn't ever really good enough to justify his position long-term.

He may find a home with the Suns or GWS, both would find him serviceable.

Like many, he may go on to prove us wrong by delisting him but I think it's a fair call.

Miles too had his chance - albeit a small one - but probably didn't have the natural skill and ball-winning ability at the elite level to complement his pace.
Not to sink the boot into the bloke because I think he gave his all, and as you say evertonfc it's never nice to lose your job, BUT....

....if we were again to get to the big dance, and if we realistically wanted to exhume the ghosts of 2009 & 2010, then we'd be pretty disappointed if Eddy was retained and was still ranked in our best available 22.

If we are to improve it is imperative that some of our younger blokes who have more potential than an Eddy, play to that potential and get a chance to show that potential at AFL level.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I second that, Dr. Spaceman.

As long as we exorcise the ghosts. If we exhume them they might wreak havoc.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:I second that, Dr. Spaceman.

As long as we exorcise the ghosts. If we exhume them they might wreak havoc.
Good point Inker :D