Second List Lodgement- Eddy and Miles delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Well I definitely wouldn't have picked either of these. Eddy is incredibly committed and tough but he's not a footballer; good hard decision from the club. Miles' debut was the best I've seen from a saint in years and he looked like he had attributes that our other players didn't (pace, confidence, good spoiling). Very surprised at his delisting, seemed much more valuable than 5 or 6 players who have been retained.

To me this says that the club has eyes on 2-4 recycled players (perhaps 1 or 2 senior spots and a couple of rookies). Probably to come out of Sheldon, Johnson, Bruce, Campbell, Johnstone, Proud, Hahn and maybe even Anthony.
Where did you hear of Sam Sheldon being tipped out :shock:

Out of all the delisted players, there's only 4 or 5 worth considering IMO - I would certainly be interested in him..........

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Well I definitely wouldn't have picked either of these. Eddy is incredibly committed and tough but he's not a footballer; good hard decision from the club. Miles' debut was the best I've seen from a saint in years and he looked like he had attributes that our other players didn't (pace, confidence, good spoiling). Very surprised at his delisting, seemed much more valuable than 5 or 6 players who have been retained.

To me this says that the club has eyes on 2-4 recycled players (perhaps 1 or 2 senior spots and a couple of rookies). Probably to come out of Sheldon, Johnson, Bruce, Campbell, Johnstone, Proud, Hahn and maybe even Anthony.

Out of all the delisted players, there's only 4 or 5 worth considering IMO - I would certainly be interested in him..........
Not yet I don't think unless it's published elsewhere?

http://www.afl.com.au/retirements%20and ... fault.aspx

Jared Brennan (GC)
Travis Johnstone
Broc McCauley**
Bart McCulloch
Albert Proud
Michael Rischitelli (GC)
Troy Selwood
Justin Sherman (trd)
Sean Yoshiura**

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Where did you hear of Sam Sheldon being tipped out :shock:

My mistake, thought he would have been sacked after all the criticism he has copped. Doesn't seem to be doing anything at Brisbane anyway

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Which raises another interesting point... where will the money come from to draft these types?

Surely Eddy and Miles weren't on top dollar... no relief there. I'd be more inclined to guess the recruiters are going after youth.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:

Which raises another interesting point... where will the money come from to draft these types?

Surely Eddy and Miles weren't on top dollar... no relief there. I'd be more inclined to guess the recruiters are going after youth.
Blake onto the veterans list as well, but yeah, still doesn't seem to ease the $ factor.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:We want loyalty out of our players and then we delist a guy who played in the last 2 GF"s and played the second one with a broken arm. We can argue whether he is or isnt good enough but we have 6 picks. Surely 5 was enough. Ball goes and he is a prick. We delist a player who happens to try harder than many others and yes has limited ability but that seems ok by the club. Yes the game isnt about individual players but sometimes a little loyalty both ways would be nice. As for Miles, well he was given plenty of chances so that is just bad luck.
Agreed.

How many more last chances does McQualter get ? .. I would have thought there is more upside in Eddy than McQualter given their ages. Perhaps they are punting on redrafting Eddy. I suppose we will pick up some other clubs reject in the draft just to prove some kind of point ..and we will all try and convince ourselves that the reject was a better player than Eddy :roll:

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We want loyalty out of our players and then we delist a guy who played in the last 2 GF"s and played the second one with a broken arm. We can argue whether he is or isnt good enough but we have 6 picks. Surely 5 was enough. Ball goes and he is a prick. We delist a player who happens to try harder than many others and yes has limited ability but that seems ok by the club. Yes the game isnt about individual players but sometimes a little loyalty both ways would be nice. As for Miles, well he was given plenty of chances so that is just bad luck.
Agreed.

How many more last chances does McQualter get ? .. I would have thought there is more upside in Eddy than McQualter given their ages. Perhaps they are punting on redrafting Eddy. I suppose we will pick up some other clubs reject in the draft just to prove some kind of point ..and we will all try and convince ourselves that the reject was a better player than Eddy :roll:
Given that he was out of contract (?) maybe it is purely a dollars thing. If Eddy wants $X but we only can afford or think he is worth $X- then what option do we have?

StPeter
Club Player

Quite pleased Eddy gone...just can't understand why he was picked in the finals...never should have been in our best 22.

Really shocked about Miles. Not given much of a chance but really showed something in his limited time in the seniors.... and obviously has pace which we need.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

[quote="saintlee"]St Kilda Football Club has today confirmed the following changes to its playing list ahead of the 2011 season;

Robert Eddy - delisted
Luke Miles - delisted

Senior Coach Ross Lyon said, “We appreciate the contribution of these players and value the input they made during their time at St Kilda. The Club’s position has now been finalised ahead of next week’s AFL Draft.â€

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
avid
Club Player

I am completely shocked and mystified by Miles.
Fastest bloke on the list, played two very good games late in the year and showed that he could find the ball, with courage, and deliver it with poise.
He was my major ray of hope for a faster, better, younger St Kilda next year.
WHAT HAPPENED???!!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I'm shocked. There's no way those two guys are gone.
If they are not picked up again I'll be one disgruntled fan.
There's no way.
Lyon showed faith in Eddy who was injured for alot of last year. The guy has grit and proper balls. He'll be excellent one day.
And Lyon was quotably impressed with Miles towards end of last season.
The guy wowed me against Richmond. Thought he looked incredible.
There's no way they are both gone.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:.....Eddy is incredibly committed and tough but he's not a footballer; good hard decision from the club. Miles' debut was the best I've seen from a saint in years and he looked like he had attributes that our other players didn't.....Very surprised at his delisting, seemed much more valuable than 5 or 6 players who have been retained.

To me this says that the club has eyes on 2-4 recycled players.....Probably to come out of Sheldon, Johnson, Bruce, Campbell, Johnstone, Proud, Hahn and maybe even Anthony.

Not yet I don't think unless it's published elsewhere?

http://www.afl.com.au/retirements%20and ... fault.aspx

Jared Brennan (GC)
Travis Johnstone
Broc McCauley**
Bart McCulloch
Albert Proud
Michael Rischitelli (GC)
Troy Selwood
Justin Sherman (trd)
Sean Yoshiura**
Ok thanks, Sheldon is not on the Lions delistings - it would have surprised me :shock:

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Where did you hear of Sam Sheldon being tipped out :shock:

My mistake, thought he would have been sacked after all the criticism he has copped. Doesn't seem to be doing anything at Brisbane anyway
There may have been some talk prior to Trade week, if there had been a suitable deal maybe

Well he goes okay everytime I've watched him.....
I didn't read of him being slammed for anything by the club - what was that about :shock:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:I am completely shocked and mystified by Miles.
Fastest bloke on the list, played two very good games late in the year and showed that he could find the ball, with courage, and deliver it with poise.
He was my major ray of hope for a faster, better, younger St Kilda next year.
better? couldn't get a game for the last few years. younger? two months younger than gilbert, older than eddy, geary, mcevoy.

i do think he's a bit stiff and wouldn't be surprised if he was re-rookied. but painting him as the saviour is a bit much.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Paul Cahill should buy them both dinner. I can't believe we cut either one. Do we really think we'll do better with a late round pick? Who the heck is managing this list?

I wouldn't be surprised to see either one pop up elsewhere. At a guess, Eddy to Essendon and Miles to freo. Freo seem to love to burn us with players from our own backyard.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

09 - Stanley wins GF sprint and Saints lose the big one.

Obviously Miles was told to lose it as we had to do things differently to the previous year. He won, rest is (a very sad depressing) history, bye bye Luke. Could be the first player ever to win GF sprint then get delisted...

I'm shocked at his departure, reminds me of Sween-dog, didn't disgrace himself when he played, but delisted at end of year, JS was attitude though. Don't know Miles from a bar of soap, but if a bloke breaks into a team like St Kilda, plays decent footy, ticks all the boxes re pace etc, then there must be something else going on behind the scenes. I'd be suprised if he doesn't get re-drafted.

Its possible that we have our eyes on some kids who might slide, but if we dont get them, then welcome back to these boys.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Zed wrote:
Agreed.

How many more last chances does McQualter get ? .. I would have thought there is more upside in Eddy than McQualter given their ages. Perhaps they are punting on redrafting Eddy.
McQualter ought to consider himself very lucky.

lefty
Club Player

Imo, I thought Eddy was better than last year, but in both Grand Finals, didn't do enough.

We need another forward who can kick goals, apply pressure and be another target up forward.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
fingers wrote:
Zed wrote:
Agreed.

How many more last chances does McQualter get ? .. I would have thought there is more upside in Eddy than McQualter given their ages. Perhaps they are punting on redrafting Eddy.
McQualter ought to consider himself very lucky.
YEP

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Paul Cahill should buy them both dinner. I can't believe we cut either one. Do we really think we'll do better with a late round pick? Who the heck is managing this list?

I wouldn't be surprised to see either one pop up elsewhere. At a guess, Eddy to Essendon and Miles to freo. Freo seem to love to burn us with players from our own backyard.
Regardless of what you think of Cahill and his capacity to play at senior level, I would suggest the fact he is a tall forward probably earned him a bit more time.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Apologies - this is parot information...

Salary cap; Lenny Hayes classified as a veteran means it's necessary to free up salary cap and allow for draft pick possibilities. With rookies you've had on your list and you haven't engaged significantly over two years at AFL level they have to be dropped or delisted in order to be picked up in the national draft which refreshes their time limitation status.

If you need to juggle players in this fashion you do it with players who aren't going anywhere.

I don't really understand; but for mine, Miles or Eddy won't go anywhere. Could be wrong but there you go.

If this is the case why would Lyon comment as he did. I get confused. :cry:

super dooper
Club Player

If Eddy is such a big loss which club is going to pick him up as a recycled player in the draft? I certainly can't see him fit into another top 8 club let alone top 4 club who contend for the flag... Let's get real here, Can you envisage eddy on a dais in September? I certainly can't

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:If Eddy is such a big loss which club is going to pick him up as a recycled player in the draft? I certainly can't see him fit into another top 8 club let alone top 4 club who contend for the flag... Let's get real here, Can you envisage eddy on a dais in September? I certainly can't
Well maybe I am wrong but wasnt he one point off this year. Having said that i dont think he will be picked up unless by us but to me that isnt the point. Last game he was good enough to play in a GF even though he was injured beforehand and now he isnt good enough to get into a 38 man squad. There is also some sort of loyalty aspect IMO.

shmic_s
Club Player

I think Eddy should hold his head high with what he achieved at St Kilda.

I think if Armo or Steven were fitter towards the end of the year they would have been in the side at his expense.

Miles is a bit surprising, i think he would be a chance to get re-drafted/rookied. We will wait and see.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Off topic, but can work it back to the topic. Was it made public how much of Lovett's salary would count towards our cap for 11/12? I am guessing no, but would hate to see players let go, or players not picked up due to the cap pressure which it seems we have.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!