Your ONE memory of ............. BJ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Your ONE memory of ............. BJ

something to while away the time..
and hoping that posters can chose just ONE memory and see how peoples minds draw back over time

can we get 18 memory points for BJ?

I'll start with a less obvious one-

# the go to handpass with long kick for goal .. he is regularly seen putting himself in the run beside position to take the hand pass and quick kick for goal.
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 24 Oct 2010 10:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

This was one of his funnier ones this year...

When he went running into goal, did a really nice side step, unfortunately it just happened to be right on top of a puddle.

Not sure what was dirtier, his shorts, or the look on his face. :)

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Calais
Club Player

Only good thing about that night.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

:(

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
mick13
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:Image

That mark (and himself) would have gone down as legend had we held on...

lennyhayes77

i remember early BJ, a year when we were up and coming as a side, might have been 2004 or thereabouts, and we played adelaide at the telstra dome.

the ball was kicked and it bounced right between mcleod running one way, and goddard running the other. It was one of those situations where BJ just had to put his head down and go...but he didn't. he slowed, mcleod beat him to it, and took it up the other end of a goal.

about a year and a half later, i watched him in almost an identical situation at the telstra dome, this time he was maybe out of the contest even more than his first one, and he ABSOLUTELY poleaxed some richmond bloke.

after that, i remember thinking, wow, i think this kid might be alright!!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Image

That mark (and himself) would have gone down as legend had we held on...[/quote

Think Leo Barry, and Barry Breen.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SaintSimmo
Club Player

what about that 60m goal he kick agaisnt freo in perth a while ago.

Sainter for life.
SaintsToGo

More of another funnier one - when he tripped over the ball in the first GF.. Running towards the ball, and then stood on it, total stuff up

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I have two...

The first was from 2003.
We were playing the Cats at the Dome and the ball was going nowhere on our half-back line...BJ went in, picked it up, ran his 15m and delivered a pass to Gehrig who led from FF. It was a beautiful 60m buckley-esque pass that hit Fraser lace-out. Unfortunately, Fraser missed the goal...But I thought to myself then and there that this kid will be a great player.

The other was from this year's game against Port at Etihad.
With a small crowd the noise, at times, was very soft...I was sitting two bays around from our cheer squad with the Power kicking our way...The ball had gone out in the pocket in front of us and was about to be thrown in when I heard someone yell out "Hey Stuart...Why wasn't that holding the ball like the one before?"...I looked over to where the question came from and it was BJ about 50m away from the play...I said to my mate..."Geez...no wonder he hasn't won a Brownlow".

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

2009 when he started wearing the new boots.

suss
Club Player

Amongst some incredible individual performances, the game that stands out for me is the one where he did his knee. I still remember him slamming his hand on the turf, instinctively more gutted about the consequences of the injury than any immediate pain. I also remember him standing at the top of the race after the game, choking back tears. He was bloody devastated and I wasn't far behind.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

When BJ leathered it into the Freo cheer squad with the precision of a surgeon, now that was something to behold.

Easily top 5.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Amongst some incredible individual performances, the game that stands out for me is the one where he did his knee. I still remember him slamming his hand on the turf, instinctively more gutted about the consequences of the injury than any immediate pain. I also remember him standing at the top of the race after the game, choking back tears. He was bloody devastated and I wasn't far behind.
His comeback year was as good as we've seen from a player returning from a serious knee injury I reckon.

Can't think of any better.

St Lenny
Club Player

I love it when he thumps his heart, love his passion.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Beej wrote:When BJ leathered it into the Freo cheer squad with the precision of a surgeon, now that was something to behold.

Easily top 5.
Top two for mine. Special!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

4 goals in the first quarter v West Coast R3 2009

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

This one night after a Christmas party under a tree at the end of Blues Point Road when I was living in Sydney....I was looking up at the harbour bridge at the time and...

Oh... :oops:

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:This one night after a Christmas party under a tree at the end of Blues Point Road when I was living in Sydney....I was looking up at the harbour bridge at the time and...

Not bad...I thought we'd get that reply sooner than 18 posts!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I was fortunate enough to see BJ go through his school footy years, where he dominated the APS...

I am a few years older, and watched in awe as Judd and then BJ tore up the APS comp... I was in Judds year; his speed was amazing, BJ's pure footy skills stood out more though, IMO...

BJ's overhead marking ability and kicking were always brilliant.... He was always a far more dominant player in the air than everyone else, where now he racks up stats in the middle too... His kicking still is the best I have ever seen at schoolboy level....

When he came into the AFL, I thought he would be a high marking player, more key position, as he was such a great mark in the junior ranks... This has taken time to develop...

He had some serious attitude too... Very friendly guy, but often a bit of a grumpy prick... In a good way, if that makes sense... Very competitive....

For the Saints, an early one that stands out is a brilliant mark he took in his first or second year, a high (speccy) chest mark, against richmond I think...

I always had faith he'd be a gun.... Not THIS much of a gun tho... Incredible footballer... He plays the game the way I wish I could...

Maxstar22
Club Player

I have two personal ones.

Prelim 2009 - With only a few minutes left in the last qtr, I was screaming over the fence telling Raph and BJ how many minutes left. At one stage with only 20 or so secs to go, I yelled out "we've got it Beej" . He turned and gave us the biggest smile. That's when the tears started :cry:

Vs Ess 2010 - We were playing poorly but we kicked a couple and you could feel if we kicked one more the momentum would swing and we would be back in it. The Bummers had just kicked a point and the ball had landed at the feet of a MW member a few seats up from me. BJ was so determined to get that momentum back that he wanted the ball asap. He was screaming at the MW member "come on, come on". The MW member got all flustered and couldn't pick up the ball. The look on Bj's face was priceless.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

NAB Challenge game v Collingwood at Optus Oval..2007(?)

BJ had a dirty first quarter and was dragged shortly before quarter time. For the rest of the quarter he paced the bounday line, clearly absolutely filthy with himself. He suddenly spied Milney doing something he didnt like on-field near him...and proceeded to give him a spray that echoed round the inner northern suburbs for days afterwards

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:I was fortunate enough to see BJ go through his school footy years, where he dominated the APS...

I am a few years older, and watched in awe as Judd and then BJ tore up the APS comp... I was in Judds year; his speed was amazing, BJ's pure footy skills stood out more though, IMO...

BJ's overhead marking ability and kicking were always brilliant.... He was always a far more dominant player in the air than everyone else, where now he racks up stats in the middle too... His kicking still is the best I have ever seen at schoolboy level....

When he came into the AFL, I thought he would be a high marking player, more key position, as he was such a great mark in the junior ranks... This has taken time to develop...

He had some serious attitude too... Very friendly guy, but often a bit of a grumpy prick... In a good way, if that makes sense... Very competitive....

For the Saints, an early one that stands out is a brilliant mark he took in his first or second year, a high (speccy) chest mark, against richmond I think...

I always had faith he'd be a gun.... Not THIS much of a gun tho... Incredible footballer... He plays the game the way I wish I could...
Nice read that. :)

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:This one night after a Christmas party under a tree at the end of Blues Point Road when I was living in Sydney....I was looking up at the harbour bridge at the time and...

:lol: