AFL to introduce FA Cup style competition

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

AFL to introduce FA Cup style competition

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/2843 ... onship-cup

I quite like this idea. In fact, I really like the idea of moving to a more English-style competition format. With GC17 and GWS18 there are too many teams for a simple round robin competition- it's pretty obvious already the draw lacks integrity (without getting all whiney about the filth playing at the MCG).

But if a further two teams were to be introduced- say a Darwin based team and a Tassie based team, or even a Canberra based team- it would make sense (to me at least) to create a two-tiered competition (NOT conference based) with promotion and relegation. It would mean there wouldn't be the guaranteed blockbusters every year, but would make for a fairer comp.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 19 Oct 2010 11:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

This idea gets a big f*** OFF from me.

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Indicating disapproval?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The AFL, as usual, are doing their utmost to screw up both our game and the competition.
Last edited by Sainternist on Mon 18 Oct 2010 7:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Re: AFL to introduce FA Cup style competition

Brisvegas saint wrote:http://www.backpagelead.com.au/afl/2843 ... onship-cup

I quite like this idea. In fact, I really like the idea of moving to a more English-style competition format. With GC17 and GWS18 there are too many teams for a simple round robin competition- it's pretty obvious already the draw lacks integrity (without getting all whiney about the filth playing at the MCG).

But if a further two teams were to be introduced- say a Darwin based team and a Tassie based team, or even a Canberra based team- it would make sense (to me at least) to create a two-tiered competition (NOT conference based) with promotion and relegation. It would mean there wouldn't be the guaranteed blockbusters every year, but would make for a fairer comp.
On the surface,dont mind the idea of 2x10,sure there would be pro and cons,cut out tanking in divvy 1

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:The AFL, as usual, are doing their utmost to screw up both our game and the competition.
How's that then? It'd make for an interesting competition, I'd be more than happy to see how my local side (Redland Bombers) fares against sides from around the country.
Last edited by Brisvegas saint on Mon 18 Oct 2010 4:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

It's got nothing to do with AFL teams. It's all about the second tier VFL, WAFL, SANFL, etc.

Good idea to boost the second tier and give exposure to possible new AFL talent.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Brisvegas saint
Club Player

bergsone wrote:

On the surface,dont mind the idea of 2x10,sure there would be pro and cons,cut out tanking in divvy 1

Pros

Fair draw
No (less?) tanking
A chance to see your team win, even if they're s***

Cons

No guaranteed blockbusters (money for the AFL coffers)
If a team is languishing at the bottom of the lower division for too long, players wanting out for a chance with the big boys

bozza1980
Club Player

Brisvegas saint wrote:
bergsone wrote:

Pros

Fair draw
No (less?) tanking
A chance to see your team win, even if they're s***

Cons

No guaranteed blockbusters (money for the AFL coffers)
If a team is languishing at the bottom of the lower division for too long, players wanting out for a chance with the big boys
The AFL will not create a Division 1/ Division 2 system with promotion/relegation.

But back to the original article, I don't mind the idea at all, a Leagues Cup for the lower leagues could be quite good.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Seems like many in this thread did not even read article that was linked...

Withyou BS

others
:roll: :roll: :roll:

saint4life
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The AFL have not announced anything yet and theres nothing to say they will..its speculation on a fan site

They are PROPOSING....theres a big difference

C- for comprehension

But should it go ahead it wont be anything like the FA Cup, which is conducted in a country the size of Victoria. Id be certain there will be "zones" based on geography to avoid teams flying all over the country every time they win. The winner of each zone will play off in some sort of knock out championship

Can you imagine Port Melbourne for instance flying to Perth, then Brisbane, then a team from Cairns coming to Melbourne to play them, just cos that the way the results panned out??

Our unique concentration of Aussie Rules states, plus our very big country, will mean the only real link with the FA Cup will be its knockout nature
Last edited by saint66au on Mon 18 Oct 2010 5:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

great idea.

Just wish it was on Free TV not Foxtel.

But I'd love to see Sandy play a WAFL or SANFL side in a knockout comp.

It's got nothing to do with the AFL as BS stated.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

For those who didn't actually read the article but are already complaining: The idea is to have state teams play off (decide which is the best team in the VFL/WAFL/SANFL etc) and then have the best team from each state compete against each other. I think it could provide some good entertainment, give state league players a chance to get noticed and create a bit of interstate rivalry. I rarely say this about anything the AFL does, but I think it's not a bad idea.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Seems like many in this thread did not even read article that was linked...
I'll admit to being guilty of this and offer my humblest apologies to OP :oops:

I guess a lot of us are so conditioned to the AFL doing generally silly things that we have become somewhat conditioned.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 19 Oct 2010 11:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Likewise looks like the "zones" I taked about are already going to happen..so apologies from me too

However to truly be a FA-Cup style comp every team in every major suburban (and perhaps country too) league should be allowed to play. Vermont should be allowed the chance to play Werribee Colts, Spotswood to play Mornington. One of the great romantic things about the FA Cup is the chance for a battling non-league team to progress. Just having the VFL teams representing Victoria for instance, would take a lot of the interest out of it for me. I really dont care if Port Melbourne are better than Sturt, but Id love to see Sorrento take on Sandringham

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bergsone
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
chook23 wrote:Seems like many in this thread did not even read article that was linked...
I'll admit to being guilty of this and offer my humblest apologies to OP :oops:

I guess a lot of us are so conditioned to the AFL doing generally silly things that we have become somewhat conditioned.
+ 1

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Likewise looks like the "zones" I taked about are already going to happen..so apologies from me too

However to truly be a FA-Cup style comp every team in every major suburban (and perhaps country too) league should be allowed to play. Vermont should be allowed the chance to play Werribee Colts, Spotswood to play Mornington. One of the great romantic things about the FA Cup is the chance for a battling non-league team to progress. Just having the VFL teams representing Victoria for instance, would take a lot of the interest out of it for me. I really dont care if Port Melbourne are better than Sturt, but Id love to see Sorrento take on Sandringham
I agree whole-heartedly. Who can forget the likes of Exeter holding Manchester United to a 0-0 draw a few seasons ago? Yeading scoring a goal at Premier League opposition in the 2nd or 3rd round proper? The beauty of it is that there is an opportunity for small, battling clubs to make a name for themselves, and also have the opportunity to pocket some cash that could save their existence.

Great idea - and would love to see it put in to place.

The Saints are coming!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Likewise looks like the "zones" I taked about are already going to happen..so apologies from me too

Sorry but the scores would be ridiculous. Unlike soccer which is a low scoring game that gives lesser sides a chance, footy doesnt. Go back to 1988 and we had many games with Amateur teams and the like in a carnival and the scores were way to lopsided. There would be no hope of any upsets in Aussie rules. Just as an example with the final game you used I would suggest Sandy would win by 25 goals. Apart from a thrill to a few Sorrento players what would a result like that actually achieve?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Sorry but the scores would be ridiculous. Unlike soccer which is a low scoring game that gives lesser sides a chance, footy doesnt. Go back to 1988 and we had many games with Amateur teams and the like in a carnival and the
scores were way to lopsided. There would be no hope of any upsets in Aussie rules. Just as an example with the final game you used I would suggest Sandy would win by 25 goals. Apart from a thrill to a few Sorrento players what would a result like that actually achieve?
That sounds about right p66

fingers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote: C- for comprehension
LOL :lol:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

In 1991 or 1992 (can't remember which) the state government brought in a similar concept before the season began. The prize money was about $25000 I think. It was okay if similar type teams were playing each other. ie Would be interesting to see Noble Park today play the best ammo teams or the best club in the O&M League etc. VFL is so far beyond local footy it's not funny. IN the final that year back in 1991, Nth Ballarat (who were a successful local club in the Ballarat League) played in the final against Werribee from the VFA. Werribee won by over 100 points.

It's a stupid concept that could only begin to work if the VFL, WAFL, SANFL were all excluded. State leagues in the football states are just too strong.

stewmac
Club Player

shld just say whoever finishes top at the end of the season wins the flag ,none of this play off crap ,at least it then rewards the most consistent team for the season and we wouldnt be still waiting for an elusive flag too,not enough money in that for the AFL so always be a non starter whether it be fair or not !