Dissappointed we didn't have a crack at Walker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Dissappointed we didn't have a crack at Walker

I know salary cap is an issue, but if we need to retire a couple of people and move another one or two on, it would be worth it to add this genuine quality speedster into the team.

A team so close to successfails to improve the list with some tough calls. Yes we have some emerging talent, but I thinkwe should have been more aggressive, and prepared to turn over the list somewhat.

Nee!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I agree 100%

I would have tried at least to offer them Kossie and pick 24

He would have been a great pick up for us and was desperate to get out of Carlton and away from Ratten!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:I agree 100%

I would have tried at least to offer them Kossie and pick 24

He would have been a great pick up for us and was desperate to get out of Carlton and away from Ratten!
What good is offering an injured player with no currency and our best pick for a player who can't get a game and can't stay fit?

Seriously, Barks. That's just silly.

Trading for trading's sake is dumb.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Carlton need a forward desperately and they might have seen an upside with Kossie!

We have players coming through such as Stanley who will soon make Kossie obsolete, if the new rule change hasn't already!

Andrew Walker would have been a great pickup for us IMHO and freed up Goddard even more!

saintlee
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:Carlton need a forward desperately and they might have seen an upside with Kossie!

We have players coming through such as Stanley who will soon make Kossie obsolete, if the new rule change hasn't already!

Andrew Walker would have been a great pickup for us IMHO and freed up Goddard even more!
Goddard is about as free as it gets, he plays wherever he wants!

bergsone
SS Life Member

For someone who wanted out so badly,no one else seemed to be prepared to take the gamble either

Maybe not the player many think he is

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Just a little too injury prone for a guy that would be on good money, we couldn't wait for Xavier Clarke.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

It's like getting Jesse Smith all over again, except instead of getting him for free we would be paying a great deal for him.

No thanks.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Why do people all of the sudden rate Andrew Walker highly? He was rubbish all year except for a cameo in their only final. Justin Koschitzke may not have met expectations but he's much better player than Andrew Walker.

We don't want Carlton's duds, it's not the 80s.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

AW:

* injury prone (and most likely why not other club took im as he had medicals with other clubs)

* not that gooda kick

That is two strikes....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:AW:

* injury prone (and most likely why not other club took im as he had medicals with other clubs)

* not that gooda kick

That is two strikes....
Does coming from Echuca count as the 3rd :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint3d
Club Player

No need for three strikes; this is not baseball or drugs.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

the Texas Ranger??

pfft
i dont rate him

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He has the odd good game, but suffers from Fioraism, a guy with talent that for some reason never quite gets the most out of himself. Injuries hurt but he was a top 4 draft pick wasn't he?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Why make the assumption that we didn't at least enquire about him?

Maybe we did adn he was:-
too expensive for us in salary terms?
too expensive for us in terms of what Carlton wanted?
didn't pass a medical/physical to our expectations?

Just because something didn't occur doesn't necessarily mean that we weren't interested enough to have a look.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Why make the assumption that we didn't at least enquire about him?

Maybe we did adn he was:-
too expensive for us in salary terms?
too expensive for us in terms of what Carlton wanted?
didn't pass a medical/physical to our expectations?

Just because something didn't occur doesn't necessarily mean that we weren't interested enough to have a look.
Exactly MM.

We could have enquired, or even had a crack, at Walker and/or Krakouer and/or Sherman. Maybe after enquiring we decided we didn't want to proceed.

Maybe the players didn't want to come to St Kilda (maybe Seaford turned them off :wink: )

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't know why we didn't look more at guys like Brad Fisher he was ok a few years ago and now seems to play reserves. He would be a freebie you would think and he seemed like he could kick goals. They also have a guy named Arrowsmith who played in the VFL GF. He was on West Coasts list and can kick goals from the midfield, solid unit too.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Don't trade sideways...we've got better, or at least potentially better players, on our list already.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Again I ask teh question:-
How does anybody on here know who we looked at/enquired about?

IMO it seems that many believe that if players don't get traded to us we never looked at them.

I'm sure our professional staff look at everybody avaialble (and probably some that aren't) before making calculated decisions on whether to actively chase a trade for them.

Just becasue they ultimately don't get traded to us doesn't mean we haven't 'looked at them'.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Again I ask teh question:-

IMO it seems that many believe that if players don't get traded to us we never looked at them.

I'm sure our professional staff look at everybody avaialble (and probably some that aren't) before making calculated decisions on whether to actively chase a trade for them.

Just becasue they ultimately don't get traded to us doesn't mean we haven't 'looked at them'.
maybe people are questionsing, becuase the saints staff did not bother turning up on the last day

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Hey MM, If the truth be known NOBODY on here knows the extent of our club's activities during trade week, although some might try to convince us otherwise. Those who represent us are INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS, not Internet Experts !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

Hey MM, If the truth be known NOBODY on here knows the extent of our club's activities during trade week, although some might try to convince us otherwise. Those who represent us are INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS, not Internet Experts !!
Couldn't agree with you more, Eastern.

I'm getting realy tired of reading these 'cheap pot shots' at our staff by posaters who have littel or no real knowledge but feel experienced enough to pass judgment on people whose liveliehood depends on them making correct decisions.

I have no objection to posters having a different view of things, but to make categorical staements that we did/didn't do this/that is just ridiculous.

And as for the 'harry hindsights' that seem to have prospered on here (and I don't include B4e in this category - he's been banging on about that selection almost since it was made).
Just for once I'd like thses internet heroes to post:-
who they'd pick before the draft,
what knowledge they have as to the type of players we're looking for,
their experience/knowledge in the field of recruiting AFL players.

Most of the critical posts they produce do very little to stimulate productive reasonable debate adn seem designed to do nothing more than promote their own egos adn opinions.

And before anybody jumps up and down, I'm speaking in general terms rather than pointing at specific posters.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:

maybe people are questionsing, becuase the saints staff did not bother turning up on the last day
And yet on the last day there were conflicting media reports saying we were there and we weren't there? :?

But even if we weren't there, the damn thing ran for 7 days.

Maybe we did have a dip but decided after a full 6 days that there was nothing worthy of doing and simply stayed home. :idea:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
YES BUT,

on that point a few drafts ago, I and quite a few others, ( even a nuffie such as stinger :lol: :P :wink:) wanted us to draft Jack Riewoldt who went at 13 and instead we dratfed David Armitage at 9!

IMHO, this was a huge mistake and the so called INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS completely stuffed up!

Another example of the folly just blindly following the so called experts in in authority!

At the 2008 AGM, I questioned the board as to the choice of clash jumper, why was the white stripe as wide as the Grand Canyon? and pointed out that if we play Collingwood in the next couple of years in a Grand Final we might be forced to wear a clash jumper!

I said it was important to have a clash jumper as close to the home jumper as possible in case such a situation arose and I suggested our away jumper should be our home jumper with a white back!

Greg Westaway interjected with "We will be wearing our home jumper in a Grand Final" :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

FAIR DINKUM

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Eastern wrote:
YES BUT,

on that point a few drafts ago, I and quite a few others, ( even a nuffie such as stinger :lol: :P :wink:) wanted us to draft Jack Riewoldt who went at 13 and instead we dratfed David Armitage at 9!

IMHO, this was a huge mistake and the so called INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS completely stuffed up!

Another example of the folly just blindly following the so called experts in in authority!

At the 2008 AGM, I questioned the board as to the choice of clash jumper, why was the white stripe as wide as the Grand Canyon? and pointed out that if we play Collingwood in the next couple of years in a Grand Final we might be forced to wear a clash jumper!

I said it was important to have a clash jumper as close to the home jumper as possible in case such a situation arose and I suggested our away jumper should be our home jumper with a white back!

Greg Westaway interjected with "We will be wearing our home jumper in a Grand Final" :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

FAIR DINKUM
And Barks, I've got no issue with you over the Reiwoldt/Armitage selection - you called it at the time and therefore, IMO, have every right to raise it and question it now. (I might point out that none of us know what type of player we were actually looking for with that pick.)

They're not the 'hindsight harry' opinions I'm talking about.
It's the ones moaning we didn't take xyz 7 years ago who slipped to pick 76 in the draft and instead took zxy who's a dud.

And BTW, we did play the 2009 GF in our H&A jumper - so Westaway was accurate.

You probalbgy need to revisit the question at this year's AGM, now that we've played in teh alternate jumper.