Guess when we will win our second flag.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

How many chances have we had in the last seven years?

Six finals campaigns, five top four finishes and three grand finals and not one flag to show for it.

We've had so much opportunity and while other opposition has just bobbed up and pipped a flag ahead of their time, we're always looking for that 'one final component' that will make us premiers. Chance after chance wasted and the mental scarring two grand final losses will cause makes me think our time has passed.

I would say 2020 to 2025, thanks to the Suns and GWS.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Bardon Saint
Club Player

I'd guess 2012.

2011 will be a year to get more game time into miles, armo, steven, others. We'll stop persisting with senior players who do not contribute consistently and give opportunities to youngsters. . Make the players fight for positions.

2012 will see big inclusions from Walsh/Stanley.

2012 will be whilst our older brigade still have top form and our younger players are beginning to peak.

2012 will just be a little early for GC to have a serious impact.

I can dream anyway!!

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 19 Oct 2010 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Bono
Club Player

Quite ironic that our major sponsor makes windows and our window of opportunity has been slammed in our face.

Seriously, if Stanley and potentially Jack Steven don't set the world on fire next year, we don't stand a chance. Look at our list compared to Collingwood and Geelong. They have their own VFL team and a decent squad of about 28 or so player to choose from. We start scraping the bottom of the barrel after about 18 players.

Legendary
Club Player

Bono wrote:Quite ironic that our major sponsor makes windows and our window of opportunity has been slammed in our face.

Seriously, if Stanley and potentially Jack Steven don't set the world on fire next year, we don't stand a chance. Look at our list compared to Collingwood and Geelong. They have their own VFL team and a decent squad of about 28 or so player to choose from. We start scraping the bottom of the barrel after about 18 players.
I believe the Saints having their own VFL team is not so far off.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:The day after I'm dead
that's how i feel.....sometimes anyway...

a woman i work with is worried her mum is going to kark it now....she's 88....a filth supporter who was holding out to see another flag..... :twisted: ...oh well......sure her family will miss her....

.....only joking.... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bono wrote:Quite ironic that our major sponsor makes windows and our window of opportunity has been slammed in our face.

Our major sponsor doesn't just make windows; it also makes doors.

So if indeed our window of opportunity has been slammed in our face, we'll just use the door of opportunity to go get our flag. :wink:

Seriously, not many people would have rated the Pies list this time last year. And the Cats list, with Ablett gone and others getting past their prime, is not what it was 2-3 years ago.

Don't worry, we're still in this thing right up to our haloes!

saintnick12
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Zippy wrote:2011.
This, beat me to it... :)
People can be pessimistic til the cows come home, chances are we'll be top 4 again! Only an idiot would write is off in 2011! I reckon we'll be in it up to our eyeballs! No doubt in my mind! Window shut? No chance? What a load of crap!!!

2011 for me also!
Agree St. Luke.

We certainly are entitled to feel disappointed, even shattered, but that doesn't have to lead to pessimism.

We'll regroup & reload; Ross will re-strategise; we'll bring in a player or two (or three :) ) and we'll go again.
2011 for me too!

There's nothing to suggest we won't be top four again and from there anything's possible. After Roo went down and we lost 3 out of 4 games and were down in the next one against West Coast, most here had written us of for this year.

We must keep the faith and believe...
Please no optimistic threads or posts till we win a flag. ;)
2 bounces of an oval ball, proves with out doubt, we need to get rid of most of our players... and most of us fans too.

I was pleasantly surprised with the tiger fans sitting around me at Etihad this year. Wonderful sense of humour and footy knowledge with no delusions re: expecting a flag/success. They didn't bag their team... unless tongue in cheek. The tigers started winning a few after that and I was wrapped for their loyal fans.

Draft in some Richmond fans, that's what's required. ;) :)

Yeah so... we'll win 2011, 2012, 2014 just for starters.

Go Saints!
What's happening in 2013....why wont we win that one :wink: :wink:

Seriously though, I agree that some are trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak...no need for wholesale changes, or kneejerk reactions, as our coach put it. Of course we need to make changes and improve, but no need to panic and lose all the gains we have made in the past few years.

Also, I posted this in another thread about how much more fun it is to go to the footy these days compared to 10 years ago....
In 2009 when we were winning every single week, my dad and I had a chuckle about how much fun it was heading off to the footy every week expecting to win. A few years before we had been feeling positive that at least we were a 50/50 chance most weeks. Roll back to the early 2000's and we headed off each week knowing we would more than likely lose before we even left the house...yet we still went along every week. It makes the success of the last few years all the more enjoyable. Yes, we've missed out on the ultimate success and experienced the heartbreak of losing prelims and GF's, but I'll take that over bottom of the ladder any day.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Brisvegas saint
Club Player

2022. The current side is incapable of winning one. Complete rebuild required.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Brisvegas saint wrote:2022. The current side is incapable of winning one. Complete rebuild required.
In your opinion.

Nonsense in mine.

Two, maybe three years left. Thereafter the rebuild will happen naturally as players retire or fade.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Brisvegas saint
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
Brisvegas saint wrote:2022. The current side is incapable of winning one. Complete rebuild required.
In your opinion.

Nonsense in mine.

Two, maybe three years left. Thereafter the rebuild will happen naturally as players retire or fade.
Well, yeah- obviously in my opinioin. That's why I wrote it.

However, if we keep carrying serial finals fuckups like Milne, Schneider, and (unfortunately) Rooey, we won't get over the line. When you add to that the likes of Kosi, Eddy, McQualter who really just aren't up to it (for a top four side), I don't see a lot of joy with this group. There are only so many hacks you can carry in the one side.

Look, hopefully we can Bradbury one in the next year or two because it's definitely a s*** time to be rebuilding- ask Essendon / Brisbane- but I have little faith in any of the senior group getting us over the line, with the exception of BJ and Lenny.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ok well lets trade everyone
except lenny and bj

??

unreal :roll:

no faith in fisher? gwilt? blake?

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

matrix wrote:ok well lets trade everyone
except lenny and bj

??

unreal :roll:

no faith in fisher? gwilt? blake?
Still carrying too many flat track bullies and out-and-out spuds to be a real threat. And this thread was about when we'll win our second flag, I'm just explaining why I think the current list is incapable.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so im guessing then that making the GF for the last two years running means we arent a threat??

a toe poke and a bounce of a footy were not on our side yet we are incapable??

rightio then
carry on

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

matrix wrote:so im guessing then that making the GF for the last two years running means we arent a threat??

a toe poke and a bounce of a footy were not on our side yet we are incapable??

rightio then
carry on
Our real chance (which we threw away, due to SFFs) was last year. Win that and anything's possible. Losing again this year- similar to the effect of 03 on the filth. That will f*** with the players heads big time.

In our favour, the competition doesn't have a Brisbane or Power like it did back then, so there is still a chance to Bradbury a flag. I just don't think it's likely.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well we dont know if last year or 2009 was our real chance do we????

this next year might be better, the year after likewise??

so saying our best chance was 2009 or 2010 is a guess as we dont know
we also dont know how or if it will f*** with players heads

maybe they have more hunger than ever before, more than we could even imagine?.

bradbury a flag??
you think we might ass one??

crickey i have a felling you dont even rate us.

i do rate us, and think our window is still open
few youngsters to get games this year to add to depth
and we'll be around the mark again, and ill be hanging to get over for the finals campaign

spert
Saintsational Legend

Don't forget the door/ window to win the flag keeps closing on us according to many in the media, but we keep putting our foot in the door/window and squeezing through and while we do that we always have a chance.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Brisvegas saint wrote:
Thinline wrote:
In your opinion.

Nonsense in mine.

However, if we keep carrying serial finals fuckups like Milne, Schneider, and (unfortunately) Rooey, we won't get over the line. When you add to that the likes of Kosi, Eddy, McQualter who really just aren't up to it (for a top four side), I don't see a lot of joy with this group. There are only so many hacks you can carry in the one side.

Look, hopefully we can Bradbury one in the next year or two because it's definitely a s*** time to be rebuilding- ask Essendon / Brisbane- but I have little faith in any of the senior group getting us over the line, with the exception of BJ and Lenny.
Been watching too many games on TV me thinks. Get a clue mate, Roo has been best on ground in 5 of our last 10 finals - and single handedly dragged us over the line time and again. Serial finals f&ck up? :lol: I bet all those saints fans in Brisbane are cringing with embarrassment when they read your posts if your an example of their footy knowledge. Schneider was very good in the 1st GF, Milne kicked two important goals (out of 10) for a fwd pocket - what the hell do you expect? Without these 3 in the finals this year, we wouldn't have even had a CHANCE to compete in the GF, they were all excellent throughout the finals series.

AS long as you feel better tapping away on your keyboard and venting I guess :roll:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Brisvegas saint wrote:
Thinline wrote:
In your opinion.

Nonsense in mine.

Brisvegas saint, as you’re commenting on a fan site in the off season it’s obvious you’re quite passionate about this club of ours.

I’m just not sure why you would be so pessimistic given how the Saints have performed over the last 2 years (admittedly without achieving the ultimate prize)

You’re calling for big changes but they’re just not going to happen; in the short term at least. In 2011 Ross will reload with what we’ve got. He’ll look at making some tweaks to our game plan and hopefully some of the younger guys will improve and push for selection. But that’s about it.

Each to their own I suppose, but if I was as negative as you in regards to the future of this club I would be looking for an alternative interest. :shock:

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Brisvegas saint wrote:
Thinline wrote:
In your opinion.

Nonsense in mine.

Brisvegas saint, as you’re commenting on a fan site in the off season it’s obvious you’re quite passionate about this club of ours.

I’m just not sure why you would be so pessimistic given how the Saints have performed over the last 2 years (admittedly without achieving the ultimate prize)

You’re calling for big changes but they’re just not going to happen; in the short term at least. In 2011 Ross will reload with what we’ve got. He’ll look at making some tweaks to our game plan and hopefully some of the younger guys will improve and push for selection. But that’s about it.

Each to their own I suppose, but if I was as negative as you in regards to the future of this club I would be looking for an alternative interest. :shock:

Mate having lived in Brisbane for 7+ years, I flew down for both the GF and the replay with high hopes. Especially after the big comeback in the GF. Surely, this time, it was our time. Then to get served up that frankly pitiful display...

Finally, to top the weekend off, I was wearing my Saints gear for the flight home. Who should sit next to me but a filth supporter in his jumper, smug look on his face as he read his way through the 40 page GF replay special in the Hun, before moving on to the Age. So no, I haven't really dealt with it well.

:cry:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Brisvegas saint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Brisvegas saint wrote:
Thinline wrote:
In your opinion.

Nonsense in mine.

Mate having lived in Brisbane for 7+ years, I flew down for both the GF and the replay with high hopes. Especially after the big comeback in the GF. Surely, this time, it was our time. Then to get served up that frankly pitiful display...

Finally, to top the weekend off, I was wearing my Saints gear for the flight home. Who should sit next to me but a filth supporter in his jumper, smug look on his face as he read his way through the 40 page GF replay special in the Hun, before moving on to the Age. So no, I haven't really dealt with it well.

:cry:
It's kinda showing! :D

It's f***ed being a Sainter sometimes. Still, I reckon the cattle's got some fight left and given where we are relative to a few other sides there's still reason for optimism if you look hard enough.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

We've won nothing yet, the hunger won't just evaporate! If we've not Top 4 and making another Prelim appearance in 2011 I'll....I'll.....I'lll do something stupid! :lol:

The more I think about the 2011 season, more more excited I am about our prospects!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Brisvegas saint
Club Player

St. Luke wrote:We've won nothing yet, the hunger won't just evaporate! If we've not Top 4 and making another Prelim appearance in 2011 I'll....I'll.....I'lll do something stupid! :lol:

The more I think about the 2011 season, more more excited I am about our prospects!
So you're saying a prelim appearance will satisfy you?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:

I believe the Saints having their own VFL team is not so far off.
what makes you say that? as far as i am aware we are aligned with sandy for 5 years. and 2011 will be the 3rd year.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I've been to every St Kilda G.F. since 1965, except one, 1966.

If we make it next year, and I dont attend, I reckon we win a flag.