5/10 for Sunday's performance at Moorabbin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bono
Club Player

5/10 for Sunday's performance at Moorabbin

Parked the car in a back street and walked through the lane behind the Frankston end goals as we didnt know how much of a crowd there would be. It was about 10.50am. Gates open at 11am so Linton St was blocked off with the waiting crowd on the road.

About 600 or so people waiting to get in. Like me, Im sure they were still bleeding from the day before. I thought these people deserve a medal.

If we have 40,000 members, lets say 28,000 of them are Victorian. As the captain and coach made their run of the mill speeches to the crowd, there was about 1,500 supporters listening. So that's 1500 out of approx 28,000 who fronted up the next day after we had our pants pulled down by the most hated sporting organization in the country.

Instead of Michael Roberts pleading with us to stay strong and sign up again as members, the club should have offered everyone there 50% memberships - a reward for turning up under the most trying circumstances.

Roo and Ross get up and say how much the supporters mean and how much confidence and support they give the players and how we have to stick them them.

The players are 10m behind a plastic fence and are there for no more than 30 minutes. No mixing with the supporters that apparently mean so much. No mention of all the closed training sessions supporters cant go to. I see a little kid about 7 years old with his autograph book. No a chance in hell for the little fella. When I was his age, all I did was collect autographs. Ive still got the books.

It all gets back to the supporters who are the lifeblood of any club. Its OK for a 3rd rung player on $180k to bleed after a disappointing match. Probably didn't barrack for the Saints as a kid anyway. Its only a job to him.

Its about time we all got a bit more bang for our buck. And I.m talking about the things that wont cost the club or players a cent.

mordi
Club Player

Didn't you get your water bottle Bono ?

What's the Point of it All?
Kilda
Club Player

Truly, what did you expect Bono? It's a multi-million dollar business and as we all know too well- money talks. Just ask Gary Ablett Jnr. Most of the players did not barrack for the Saints as kids (eg Harvey followed Essendon). Of the current crop, I only know of Gram, Raphael Clarke and Tom Lynch who were childhood Sainters.

Bono and all the other supporters who fronted up to Linton St last Sunday are amazing individuals. Your love for the club seems to know no bounds. Even if the club did not do so on the day, I honour you all for your loyalty and commitment especially when you were all hurting. But remember, that ultimately the players are paid to do a job. They come and go while us supporters are in it for the long haul. Heck, I've been following the Saints before Riewoldt was even born! And I will still follow them well after he's left.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I can see where you're coming from but we're all hurting. I was there on Sunday! I started tearing up when I saw the families coming in.
Please don't blame the players. They were as flat as sh*t carter's hat. 2 Grand Finals in two weeks for no wins!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
SirDog
Club Player

I understand what you kind of mean Bono. I went last year to the Docklands wake after our loss to Geelong and it was much the same. But consider this, you place importance on yourself being one of a small minority of supporters who attended and you expected something like half price memberships and to mix with the players. Yet you have to put things into perspective - the forum itself is not a family day environment particularly after a loss and nor is it a pleasant environment (and probably twice as bad being the second GF loss in a row after being so close in the draw). After a win, then I am sure the players would have been more liberal.

Last year, I was happy to be present at the Docklands as a supporter amongst a modest group of other supporters and just listen, then leave. No expectations...just being present to share a sad moment with the club was enough. I didn't have a chance to attend this year as I flew back to Perth on the evening after the GF otherwise I would have been there.

But hang in there Bono, hopefully we will all be mingling with the players after a GF victory in the near future. I am sure there would be no complaints then. :D

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
Saint Mik
Club Player

I drove 1.5 hours to get there, caught in Sunday traffic and missed out on seeing the players come out but still enjoyed a bit of music and having a kick with my young fella on the ground soaking up the sun on a terrible day after the GF.

Some bloke started yelling between songs "get the players out here" and I thought there is no way in the world we will see the players today out mixing with the crowd. Cant understand why some of us would think otherwise, if you want autographs ect get down to training during the year in the cold of winter and I am sure you will get more than plenty for your efforts and get a chat out of a few of the boys also.

Last year I was lucky to be staying in the same place as some of our players in Bali and even though it was around 3 weeks after the GF I still did not have the heart to even mention it to them imagine trying to talk about it with supporters the next day?

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010