FORUM UPDATE

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: FORUM UPDATE

sunsaint wrote: Sat 09 Feb 2019 6:13pm whats the database level like?
I noticed the thread gets duplicated in the AE but not the posts - it would be beneficial if all posts inn the general forum are duplicated in the AE ( obviously not vice verse)

We both know the reported post gets highlighted for MOD and ADMIN - so thats what Im getting at for the general user
anyhoo - the agenda behind all these troublesome questions - is this
I am very intrigued as to the levels of reported posts ?
Since the function has been added & the very anonymous nature of the report button now - have you seen a marked increase ?
As promised, I asked the phpBB expert I use / pay in the USA and here are his responses:

I believe the way the Copy New Topic extension works is that when a new topic is created, just the topic and its first post is replicated to the other forums. I see no functionality for it to do more than that. I'm not sure what criteria would be used to do more than copy the first topic post but I imagine the logic would be complicated and probably impossible to implement. I would describe your requirements on the topic on phpbb.com to see what they say:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2356336

Reported posts are only available to be seen in the moderator control panel. I've done some searching on phpbb.com and don't see an extension that does what you want. This extension was in Beta but was not ported to phpBB 3.2 but seems to at least move these to a special forum. It doesn't look like the extension author is going to port this any time soon. Sometimes if you offer to pay them, they might take up the tasks. Here's the topic and the author is david63. You might want to send him a private message if this interests you. What you want to do though would probably require a new extension.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2308016

So at this stage it is no to both requests because it isn't currently possible.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

yes thanks BfUSA i had already checked the forum and had found none to sort the above especially for 3.2
I had also assumed your US guy to be more at mod writer level contracted to fine tune SS

anyway - I know Im being intrusive - but with the new rules and the recent bans - I am really intrigued by the trail of dominoes and how they fall
IN the one thread you have a troll acccusation, which goes by the way whereas another comment which was clearly a user being humourous gets whacked - Iam assuming its the weight of complaints that have a major bearing

Another question for now - do the 1 day bans have expiration dates ?
Because if they dont and they do accumulate to a permanent ban - is it possible to have a list of infringements per user in the admin forum?

Seeya
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BackFromUSA wrote: Mon 11 Feb 2019 9:06pm
I noticed the thread gets duplicated in the AE but not the posts - it would be beneficial if all posts inn the general forum are duplicated in the AE ( obviously not vice verse)

We both know the reported post gets highlighted for MOD and ADMIN - so thats what Im getting at for the general user
Since the function has been added & the very anonymous nature of the report button now - have you seen a marked increase ?
Not sure if the posts from FF can be duplicated automatically in AE.

Not sure if reported posts can be set to be seen by all.

Report function has been going for a while. Would be around 20-30 reports per week last year.
Hi Simon, whilst you're on a roll answering all these forum queries...

20-30 posts per week.

How many warnings/holidays per week were subsequently served up? I reckon it would be lucky be average out at 2-3, or 10%(?)

If so, that suggests either that lots of people are jumping onto the one post, or, the more likely possibility (probability?)...

that 90% of the reports are ultimately deemed to be frivolous?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 9:16pm

Report function has been going for a while. Would be around 20-30 reports per week last year.

20-30 posts per week.

How many warnings/holidays per week were subsequently served up? I reckon it would be lucky be average out at 2-3, or 10%(?)

If so, that suggests either that lots of people are jumping onto the one post, or, the more likely possibility (probability?)...

About 80% resulted in warnings. 20% frivolous.

But warnings carried no weight unless there were 3 warnings in 7 days which resulted in a ban of a week.

Warnings were not working.

People knew they had 2 free hits per week.

People worked out loopholes to the rules.

In the end too many posts here were conflicts between posters.

Now there is zero tolerance for conflict.

This is a forum to discuss the Saints.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 10:46pm

20-30 posts per week.

But warnings carried no weight unless there were 3 warnings in 7 days which resulted in a ban of a week.

During your selective 100% tolerance period over the off-season, I was encouraged by you to report absolutely everything...so I did, just to see what happened. None of these reports resulted in any action that I could see. I did note that after a while some presses on the 'report' button raised a message that the post had already been reported...do these multiple report activations log at your end?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 8:28am
BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 13 Feb 2019 10:46pm

20-30 posts per week.

During your selective 100% tolerance period over the off-season, I was encouraged by you to report absolutely everything...so I did, just to see what happened. None of these reports resulted in any action that I could see. I did note that after a while some presses on the 'report' button raised a message that the post had already been reported...do these multiple report activations log at your end?
You put in 19 reports from memory covering a 10 day period of posting. Each was assessed against the rules.

17 were not a breach of rules (remember that you disagreeing or being annoyed by a post is not a breach of rules) and other posts had circumvented the rules through known loopholes - but 2 were breaches of rules and warnings were issued. 2 warnings were marked in the posts. There was no ban issued because 3 warnings in 7 days would have constituted a 1 week ban but that level wasn’t reached. As pointed out the flaw in the rules and warning system is that after 7 days from a warning it disappears from the system completely and has no value in changing ongoing behaviour. That is why warnings have been replaced with a 1 DAY ban. And also why the rules have been simplified to a clear rule of no negative posts about or to other poster/s - to close the loopholes.

Once a report is made then we only see the first report and there is no record of other attempts to report a post.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 7:03pmOnce a report is made then we only see the first report and there is no record of other attempts to report a post.
That's a flaw IMO, it sounds as if a report could be too easily dismissed.

Hmmm...19 reports sounds a bit OTT for me...I did make a few (they were all warranted, and certainly breached rules), but unlike some I don't use the report button flippantly to stir up trouble. Simon, you need to use weight of evidence to head off trouble makers instead of being such a stickler for technicalities, as I've mentioned before, it would have saved a lot of trouble over the last few months.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 9:59pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 7:03pmOnce a report is made then we only see the first report and there is no record of other attempts to report a post.
That's a flaw IMO, it sounds as if a report could be too easily dismissed.

Hmmm...19 reports sounds a bit OTT for me...I did make a few (they were all warranted, and certainly breached rules), but unlike some I don't use the report button flippantly to stir up trouble. Simon, you need to use weight of evidence to head off trouble makers instead of being such a stickler for technicalities, as I've mentioned before, it would have saved a lot of trouble over the last few months.
Thanks for your opinion.

I simply applied the old rules to each circumstance and assessed from there.

New rules are much easier to moderate with. Cut and dry with little wiggle room and a punishment with consequence rather than a meaningless warning.

Other than some swipes at me for trying to stop all the arguing between posters, the pleasing thing is now 90% of posts are actually about St Kilda. A very pleasant change.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I feel I should explain something that I feel perhaps isn’t being understood.

If a poster says something like “I think Lethlean is doing a brilliant job and our recruiting team are professional in what they do.” and that post gets reported for baiting / trolling then I assessed the post on its merits.

1) is it fair and reasonable for someone to hold that opinion - well given the CEO and Board hold that same opinion it is hard to argue that is unreasonable to share that opinion

2) how could it be baiting? Or trolling? Anyone is welcome to disagree and argue facts or offer a different opinion - but just because you disagree doesn’t mean you are being baited or trolled.

There was no wiggle room to guess a posters motivation beyond what is written.

Agree that a poster who deliberately came on here to be super positive in the face of the masses who were being super negative could be a deliberate ploy to inflame / troll ... however this is pure speculation ... and moderation was limited to assessing individual posts measured against the previously outlined rules.

I simply could not work off “the vibe”.

The new rules make it clear what is / isn’t allowed.

Some banter is allowed. Good examples of fun banter can be found in recent posts about the junction oval thread and even the meaning of life / saints or sinners thread.

But negative commentary that can inflame arguments is not allowed and is not a worthless warning but a 24 hour holiday.

Hopefully people will now concentrate on talking footy and not baiting and abusing each other while boring the fans who come here to talk footy.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Can i ask again
Do bans have expiry dates?
Thanks in advance

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:32pm I feel I should explain something that I feel perhaps isn’t being understood.

If a poster says something like “I think Lethlean is doing a brilliant job and our recruiting team are professional in what they do.” and that post gets reported for baiting / trolling then I assessed the post on its merits.

1) is it fair and reasonable for someone to hold that opinion - well given the CEO and Board hold that same opinion it is hard to argue that is unreasonable to share that opinion

2) how could it be baiting? Or trolling? Anyone is welcome to disagree and argue facts or offer a different opinion - but just because you disagree doesn’t mean you are being baited or trolled.

Agree that a poster who deliberately came on here to be super positive in the face of the masses who were being super negative could be a deliberate ploy to inflame / troll ... however this is pure speculation ... and moderation was limited to assessing individual posts measured against the previously outlined rules.

Some banter is allowed. Good examples of fun banter can be found in recent posts about the junction oval thread and even the meaning of life / saints or sinners thread.

But negative commentary that can inflame arguments is not allowed and is not a worthless warning but a 24 hour holiday.

Hopefully people will now concentrate on talking footy and not baiting and abusing each other while boring the fans who come here to talk footy.
I for one, congratulate you on your efforts to stop in fighting, bullying and trolling which was rife and was turning posters off the forum. Good work.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 3:42am Can i ask again
Thanks in advance
A 1 day ban expires automatically after 1 day.

A 7 day ban expires automatically after 7 days.

A permanent ban of a Nic does not expire.

If banned permanently from just Fan Forum then they can still read Fan Forum and can read / post in all other forums.

Posters can also register new nics.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:32pm I simply could not work off “the vibe”.

I don't think it's 'us' that are not understanding something...you weren't being asked to work off 'the vibe', you were simply being asked to apply the rules. The new rules look very much like a deflection to those of us who suffered through smut, bullying and abuse during the off-season.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 2:38pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:32pm I simply could not work off “the vibe”.

I don't think it's 'us' that are not understanding something...you weren't being asked to work off 'the vibe', you were simply being asked to apply the rules. The new rules look very much like a deflection to those of us who suffered through smut, bullying and abuse during the off-season.
You are welcome to your opinion. It doesn’t make it correct. But you are definitely welcome to your opinion.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 1:00pm
Thanks in advance

If banned permanently from just Fan Forum then they can still read Fan Forum and can read / post in all other forums.

ok sorry sorry - I get that
buuuut
in your new rules you state:
- if you receive 3 x 1 week bans, then that nic will be restricted from posting in the fan forum but can post in Animal Enclosure

so if you recv 3 x 1 week - Thats it youre gone
or does the 1 weeker expire after 1 week 1 month 6 months or 12months...

IF NOT i heartily recommend a page that list all user penalties totals

Seeya
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:32pm I feel I should explain something that I feel perhaps isn’t being understood.

The legendary 'Homeward Bound' thread. 8-) Or as some supposedly prominent orange figurine recently said, "The greatest thread ever"... though what would he know... about anything?

Simon, it's time please! Could the legendary 'Homeward Bound' thread please be stickied? Ta.

PS: He's way too shy and humble to ask for himself, but we all know that deep down, the good Doc would be thrilled. :)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 6:20pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Fri 15 Feb 2019 1:00pm
Thanks in advance

ok sorry sorry - I get that
buuuut
in your new rules you state:
- if you receive 3 x 1 week bans, then that nic will be restricted from posting in the fan forum but can post in Animal Enclosure

so if you recv 3 x 1 week - Thats it youre gone
or does the 1 weeker expire after 1 week 1 month 6 months or 12months...

IF NOT i heartily recommend a page that list all user penalties totals
Receive a 1 week ban and Nic is banned for 1 week.

Then free to return.

Receive another 1 week ban and Nic is banned for 1 week.

Then free to return.

Receive another 1 week ban and that Nic is banned from ever posting in Fan Forum again. Can read. Can’t post. However can post in the other forums.

One week bans will be recorded in the Admin Forum.

Any permanent bans will be recorded in the Admin Firum.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hey Simon,

How come you can no longer edit an opening post? I certainly can't.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 4:59pm Hey Simon,

I don’t know. But I shall try to find out and get fixed.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 21 Feb 2019 4:59pm Hey Simon,

Will ask.