If people want to go ape after a game.......

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby saintspremiers » Sun 03 May 2015 10:32pm

Then let them vent. That used to be the way things operated here. Normally settles down the next day.

Shame the over zealous mods got Con banned for a fortnight as he went off the rails for an hour or so.

An interesting poster lost for a little while.

I hope he was given a decent chance and a few PM's before being smacked
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 23408
Joined: Tue 01 Feb 2005 4:25pm
Location: Trump Tower

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby skeptic » Sun 03 May 2015 10:37pm

I hear what you mean... I didn't see the exact posts but the rules on swearing are pretty clear though

players always get canned after a loss and as u say it usually settle down pretty quick
skeptic
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8480
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 7:10pm

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby BackFromUSA » Sun 03 May 2015 10:37pm

There are plenty of posters venting here without abusing.

Con breached rules about 10 times tonight.

He knows the rules. He broke them.

VERY VERY lucky not to have received a more permanent ban.

Receiving a 2 week ban IS HIS GREATEST WARNING.

Completely unacceptable posting tonight.
AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2012"
User avatar
BackFromUSA
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:38am

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby dragit » Sun 03 May 2015 10:40pm

Disagree.

Common decency needs to prevail.

I'm not interested in reading pathetic childish tantrums... I don't think many people are.
User avatar
dragit
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 11905
Joined: Tue 29 Jun 2010 11:56am

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby saintspremiers » Sun 03 May 2015 10:41pm

BackFromUSA wrote:There are plenty of posters venting here without abusing.

Con breached rules about 10 times tonight.

He knows the rules. He broke them.

VERY VERY lucky not to have received a more permanent ban.

Receiving a 2 week ban IS HIS GREATEST WARNING.

Completely unacceptable posting tonight.


Ok fair enough but to say permanent isn't that after you've had multiple 2 week bans in a year?

How can he simultaneously get multiple bans?

Makes no sense to me
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 23408
Joined: Tue 01 Feb 2005 4:25pm
Location: Trump Tower

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby kosifantutti » Sun 03 May 2015 11:04pm

If you're missing Con, go and read Sonnywalters on Bigfooty. Exactly the same opinions without the personal abuse.
User avatar
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5107
Joined: Fri 21 Jan 2005 9:06am
Location: Back in town

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby BackFromUSA » Sun 03 May 2015 11:18pm

saintspremiers wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:There are plenty of posters venting here without abusing.

Con breached rules about 10 times tonight.

He knows the rules. He broke them.

VERY VERY lucky not to have received a more permanent ban.

Receiving a 2 week ban IS HIS GREATEST WARNING.

Completely unacceptable posting tonight.


Ok fair enough but to say permanent isn't that after you've had multiple 2 week bans in a year?

How can he simultaneously get multiple bans?

Makes no sense to me


He received a ban using the 3 warnings in 1 week = 2 week ban rule

Given 10 or so breaches in an hour, we could have used this rule instead. we didn't and IMHO he was very lucky we didn't because at minimum he would be banned for a month.


SPAMMING POLICY


Do not spam the forum board with multiple posts designed to disrupt the harmony of the board.

Such disruption may be eligible for an official Saintsational warning / a one month ban, or account deletion by the moderators. The ban will be decided upon by the administrators in this instance.
AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2012"
User avatar
BackFromUSA
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:38am

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby Trev from the Bush » Sun 03 May 2015 11:19pm

Con, I like. Went well over the top with multiple chances to think about what he was posting tonight, though. Deserves a couple of weeks in the twos.
Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
Club Player
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2011 4:24pm
Location: Australia

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby asiu » Sun 03 May 2015 11:21pm

BackFromUSA wrote:There are plenty of posters venting here without abusing.

Con breached rules about 10 times tonight.

He knows the rules. He broke them.

VERY VERY lucky not to have received a more permanent ban.

Receiving a 2 week ban IS HIS GREATEST WARNING.

Completely unacceptable posting tonight.



not often i agree with your way/s Simon but totally on board with this.

... that was cringe inducing stuff.
AND not just from Con.
no class no style no Honour.

grublike stuff from a few of the crew tonight.
... that just couldn't possibly deserve to be filed as venting or lamenting.

Cringeworthy.
Image
.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.
asiu
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4832
Joined: Thu 08 Apr 2010 8:11pm

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby saintspremiers » Mon 04 May 2015 10:02am

Ok just read through the AE. Shame it's now locked but there is a thread here. Sure, it's spamming, but don't think it warranted a permanent ban. Mods got onto it fairly quick so no probs. Just still not sure why the loss hurts so much. If we were a finals bound team then yep, it stings bad. But we're not.
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 23408
Joined: Tue 01 Feb 2005 4:25pm
Location: Trump Tower

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby st.byron » Mon 04 May 2015 11:38am

saintspremiers wrote:Ok just read through the AE. Shame it's now locked but there is a thread here. Sure, it's spamming, but don't think it warranted a permanent ban. Mods got onto it fairly quick so no probs. Just still not sure why the loss hurts so much. If we were a finals bound team then yep, it stings bad. But we're not.



Just to clarify SP, it's not a permanent ban. Two week ban for Con. Well deserved. Really over the top abuse. And yes, I did send him a PM telling him to pull his head in, but the damage was already done.
User avatar
st.byron
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7595
Joined: Tue 14 Jun 2005 7:04pm
Location: Mullum

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby saynta » Mon 04 May 2015 11:41am

saintspremiers wrote:Then let them vent. That used to be the way things operated here. Normally settles down the next day.

Shame the over zealous mods got Con banned for a fortnight as he went off the rails for an hour or so.

An interesting poster lost for a little while.

I hope he was given a decent chance and a few PM's before being smacked


I thought it was one of the more 'interesting' threads i have had the misfortune to read actually.
saynta
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 3:53pm

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby HitTheBoundary » Mon 04 May 2015 11:54am

st.byron wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Ok just read through the AE. Shame it's now locked but there is a thread here. Sure, it's spamming, but don't think it warranted a permanent ban. Mods got onto it fairly quick so no probs. Just still not sure why the loss hurts so much. If we were a finals bound team then yep, it stings bad. But we're not.



Just to clarify SP, it's not a permanent ban. Two week ban for Con. Well deserved. Really over the top abuse.

I'm generally against bans, but considering what he wrote I think he is very lucky it's only two weeks.
User avatar
HitTheBoundary
Club Player
 
Posts: 1791
Joined: Fri 27 Feb 2009 9:00am
Location: Walkabout

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby st.byron » Mon 04 May 2015 11:55am

HitTheBoundary wrote:
st.byron wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Ok just read through the AE. Shame it's now locked but there is a thread here. Sure, it's spamming, but don't think it warranted a permanent ban. Mods got onto it fairly quick so no probs. Just still not sure why the loss hurts so much. If we were a finals bound team then yep, it stings bad. But we're not.



Just to clarify SP, it's not a permanent ban. Two week ban for Con. Well deserved. Really over the top abuse.

I'm generally against bans, but considering what he wrote I think he is very lucky it's only two weeks.


Yep.
User avatar
st.byron
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7595
Joined: Tue 14 Jun 2005 7:04pm
Location: Mullum

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby plugger66 » Mon 04 May 2015 3:31pm

I just re read the thread that Con was banned for and have come to just conclusion. Firstly how SP could claim that people should be able to vent like Con does makes me wonder about SP. Secondly the rules on here are amazing. Con gets a 2 week ban for calling about 5 people the C word and even worse saying someone, me in this case, should be on the sex offenders list and then others get 2 weeks for basically friendly baiting. Time for the mods or the rules to have leeway on ban times. Thirdly mods change posts all the time but I notice none of that thread has be altered. Yep I know its locked but it gives a pathetic reputation to SS to have some of those posts still be able to viewed by other people. What would those people think of this place? Surely the thread should be deleted if it is to much work to alter. I certainly don't want people to see that I should be on the sex offenders list. I doubt anyone would want that.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 50626
Joined: Mon 26 Feb 2007 8:15pm
Location: oakleigh

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby Dr Spaceman » Mon 04 May 2015 4:06pm

If that's what happens after a narrow loss, in a period where we are rebuilding and a win each week is not essential, heaven help us when we’re challenging again.

People can argue about what is wrong with this site, and who may be driving people away, but that stuff last night was puerile and it was embarrassing. Embarrassing for Saintsational and embarrassing for the club we follow.

I haven't been here since day 1 but I doubt there would've been worse stuff written by a poster. Especially the personal stuff about p66 alluded to above. I don't give a toss if p66 rubs you up the wrong way; that sort of response is simply unacceptable.

Two weeks for a repeat offender? Very light, very surprising & very disappointing IMO :?
Image

“I’m shocked to once again be shocked by such a shocking shock“
User avatar
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 13957
Joined: Thu 24 Sep 2009 11:07pm
Location: Newtown Institute of Saintology

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby kosifantutti » Mon 04 May 2015 4:52pm

The offending thread has been moved to a Moderators only forum.

If anyone wants to make non abusive posts on the topic of Schneider there is another thread in the main forum.
User avatar
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5107
Joined: Fri 21 Jan 2005 9:06am
Location: Back in town

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby HitTheBoundary » Mon 04 May 2015 4:55pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:If that's what happens after a narrow loss, in a period where we are rebuilding and a win each week is not essential, heaven help us when we’re challenging again.

People can argue about what is wrong with this site, and who may be driving people away, but that stuff last night was puerile and it was embarrassing. Embarrassing for Saintsational and embarrassing for the club we follow.

I haven't been here since day 1 but I doubt there would've been worse stuff written by a poster. Especially the personal stuff about p66 alluded to above. I don't give a toss if p66 rubs you up the wrong way; that sort of response is simply unacceptable.

Two weeks for a repeat offender? Very light, very surprising & very disappointing IMO :?

+1
It almost implies that you can say ANYTHING, and be forgiven in two weeks.
User avatar
HitTheBoundary
Club Player
 
Posts: 1791
Joined: Fri 27 Feb 2009 9:00am
Location: Walkabout

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby plugger66 » Mon 04 May 2015 4:56pm

kosifantutti wrote:The offending thread has been moved to a Moderators only forum.

If anyone wants to make non abusive posts on the topic of Schneider there is another thread in the main forum.



I think that is a wise decision. I still stand by the mods having more say in the length of bans. Im sure most would agree a set penalty sometimes doesn't make sense.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 50626
Joined: Mon 26 Feb 2007 8:15pm
Location: oakleigh

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby markp » Mon 04 May 2015 5:08pm

Once you get a 'permanent ban' all you just need do is re-register with a new nic, anyway.

To be clear, the individual is only banned from the forum using that user name.

However if the individual returns to the forum under another user name, the expectation is that they do so without the unacceptable behaviour and hopefully can make a more positive contribution to the forum.


viewtopic.php?f=30&t=88562

It's bizarre.
User avatar
markp
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 12262
Joined: Mon 26 Mar 2007 4:22pm

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby st.byron » Mon 04 May 2015 5:59pm

plugger66 wrote:I just re read the thread that Con was banned for and have come to just conclusion. Firstly how SP could claim that people should be able to vent like Con does makes me wonder about SP. Secondly the rules on here are amazing. Con gets a 2 week ban for calling about 5 people the C word and even worse saying someone, me in this case, should be on the sex offenders list and then others get 2 weeks for basically friendly baiting. Time for the mods or the rules to have leeway on ban times. Thirdly mods change posts all the time but I notice none of that thread has be altered. Yep I know its locked but it gives a pathetic reputation to SS to have some of those posts still be able to viewed by other people. What would those people think of this place? Surely the thread should be deleted if it is to much work to alter. I certainly don't want people to see that I should be on the sex offenders list. I doubt anyone would want that.



Plugger, who are you referring to as getting two weeks for 'friendly baiting'?

Yes, it is too much work to alter.

When the thread was live I changed the OP so the original thread title was no longer on the home page, but to remove that reference completely, I would have had to go through every post individually and edit it. At that point it was 60 posts. Way too much work and I was the only mod online at that time. Immediately deleting the thread altogether would have meant that Con's abuse in particular would not have been seen by the other mods, so I chose to lock it. On reflection I should have immediately moved it to a mod only forum. Hindsight is great.

It hasn't been deleted altogether because there are posts in that thread that are still being assessed and discussed by the mods as to whether they're warnings or not. Whilst that discussion goes on, we need to be able to refer to the thread to assess and consider. And we're not full time and discussions between mods may take time to happen and for subsequent actions to be put in place.
User avatar
st.byron
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7595
Joined: Tue 14 Jun 2005 7:04pm
Location: Mullum

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby st.byron » Mon 04 May 2015 6:09pm

markp wrote:Once you get a 'permanent ban' all you just need do is re-register with a new nic, anyway.

To be clear, the individual is only banned from the forum using that user name.

However if the individual returns to the forum under another user name, the expectation is that they do so without the unacceptable behaviour and hopefully can make a more positive contribution to the forum.


http://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=88562

It's bizarre.



Not necessarily.
The decision you're referring to above was the banning of The Redeemer. He'd been skirting a permanent ban for a while, but nearly always for racist posting. His warnings were pretty much all for racism. The mods discussed the options re banning him and considered only banning him from the General Forum, as his posting in the footy forum was nearly always within the rules and he was a relatively regular contributor. However, it's not possible just to ban someone form the General Forum.
So rather than banning him and all of his known IP addresses, the mods chose to ban his nic, giving him a chance to come back to the forum under a new name if he wants to. Any return at all to the racist posting style that saw him banned would result in a permanent ban for all IP addresses.
Matrix will tell us that IP bans are useless as well, because they can be circumvented, but what else can be done?

Basically, there's a 'give people the benefit of the doubt' approach going on. If Redeemer wants to come back with a new nic and without the offensive racism, then good. Con can come back with two weeks reflection under his belt and hopefully he'll think twice before posting abuse again. If he doesn't think twice, then there will be zero further tolerance for it and a permanent ban will surely ensue.
User avatar
st.byron
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7595
Joined: Tue 14 Jun 2005 7:04pm
Location: Mullum

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby saynta » Mon 04 May 2015 7:00pm

st.byron wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I just re read the thread that Con was banned for and have come to just conclusion. Firstly how SP could claim that people should be able to vent like Con does makes me wonder about SP. Secondly the rules on here are amazing. Con gets a 2 week ban for calling about 5 people the C word and even worse saying someone, me in this case, should be on the sex offenders list and then others get 2 weeks for basically friendly baiting. Time for the mods or the rules to have leeway on ban times. Thirdly mods change posts all the time but I notice none of that thread has be altered. Yep I know its locked but it gives a pathetic reputation to SS to have some of those posts still be able to viewed by other people. What would those people think of this place? Surely the thread should be deleted if it is to much work to alter. I certainly don't want people to see that I should be on the sex offenders list. I doubt anyone would want that.



Plugger, who are you referring to as getting two weeks for 'friendly baiting'?

Yes, it is too much work to alter.

When the thread was live I changed the OP so the original thread title was no longer on the home page, but to remove that reference completely, I would have had to go through every post individually and edit it. At that point it was 60 posts. Way too much work and I was the only mod online at that time. Immediately deleting the thread altogether would have meant that Con's abuse in particular would not have been seen by the other mods, so I chose to lock it. On reflection I should have immediately moved it to a mod only forum. Hindsight is great.

It hasn't been deleted altogether because there are posts in that thread that are still being assessed and discussed by the mods as to whether they're warnings or not. Whilst that discussion goes on, we need to be able to refer to the thread to assess and consider. And we're not full time and discussions between mods may take time to happen and for subsequent actions to be put in place.


I'm glad to hear that. Con wasn't the only one to post abusive comments in that thread.
saynta
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 3:53pm

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby st.byron » Mon 04 May 2015 7:35pm

saynta wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. Con wasn't the only one to post abusive comments in that thread.


Indeed. Other warnings out of that thread apart from Con.
User avatar
st.byron
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7595
Joined: Tue 14 Jun 2005 7:04pm
Location: Mullum

Re: If people want to go ape after a game.......

Postby asiu » Mon 04 May 2015 8:09pm

... tough line the mods gotta walk.

everything I just read there is 'commonsense' moderation.

rereemer gets to 'have another go'
... and really, why not.
... he's a bit of a dufis , but he's our dufis.

he likes the 'testy stuff ' , lol , but just ain't no good at it.

Re the. ... can't ban people from the G1 comment ... huh ?
... whatever protocols in place to keep as plebeians out of the Mods only Forum
can't be set up on the G1 ?
... even if not , surely by *instruction* ... the cat could be skun ?

Con's stuff really disappointed me.
... and i can be wild when I get pissed off ... but i'm sure i'm not as classless as that bucket of venom.

(On top of a week ... where if anyones noticed. .. there's work going on to ease the way for Bratty n K to feel a little more comfortable AND appreciated.

tbh ...Con deserves a Month.

his tirade at Plugger was unadulterated hatred .... venomous.
... calling someone a child molester is the lowest of the low.
.
There's actually a discussion that needs to be had about Pluggers treatment on Ss as well.

Constant
Constant
Constant sniping at his character , being blamed for S'S woes etc etc by a 'mob' of em
did I mention constantly ... is blatantly unfair.
... to his credit. .. he handles it as well as could be expected, imo
but really ... he should be 'protected' enough by standards of common decency so as the 'mob' are aware they are pushing the boundaries.
Pluggers allowed to be Plugger
... it's the effen whingers who are out of line
anyway , i'lll shut up for a while n catch my breath
Image
.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.
asiu
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4832
Joined: Thu 08 Apr 2010 8:11pm

Next

Return to Administration Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests