Saintsational is slowly dying.

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saintsational is slowly dying.

stevie wrote: Can you possibly imagine the kind of vomit material that is on a Bummer forum?
I think their site was stagnating a bit a few years back, but then they injected some new stuff into it and it's really grown some muscle.

Still, possibility that things might drop-off a bit in a few years time.
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Thu 09 Apr 2015 3:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Fascinating that none of the antagonists, who usually jump on most threads, have not had any input into this one.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:I enjoy reading all the stuff! The bickering, differnt points of views that become heated...
same - bit of a pub atmosphere at times. nothing wrong with a bit of bickering - if it becomes a problem move it to the AE.
One poster gets blamed a lot for simply playing devil's advocate or honestly disagreeing and some get riled too much by it. You post an opinion and if someone disagrees, so what? You name call and fair enough if a poster returns fire. Be nice if we didn't attack the man, but it happens in the heat of discussion. Some posters obviously enjoy it. It's a footy forum, bound to be arguments. i'm in another forum with very good posters and a lot of mutual respect and no arguments - it's a great place for mates, but for this one to mirror it, would mean culling 90% of posters. Better to live and let live.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:There are 3, maybe 4 posters on here who have driven a lot of people away.

When I was a mod here I had atleast a dozen people ask if we can ban a single poster who hadn't actually broken any rules.

That poster is still active and is continuing to keep people away.

Unfortunate really.

Why don't you name him instead of people thinking it could be them? By the way got any of those dozen names because without its just words that mean jack.

Anyway on topic I don't think it would be dying more than any other clubs fan forums. With clubs now trying to own this sort of information most new supporters will go to the clubs website or facebook page. That is what younger people do.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:There are 3, maybe 4 posters on here who have driven a lot of people away.

When I was a mod here I had atleast a dozen people ask if we can ban a single poster who hadn't actually broken any rules.

That poster is still active and is continuing to keep people away.

Unfortunate really.

So if that poster didn't break any rules - what's the issue? Just some boring people whinging then.

Not sure how it's unfortunate. Why should you get banned if no rules are broken? Just for being unpopular....

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Do posters really get driven away?

Or just make a fuss and reappear under a different handle?

We will never know.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:The on field performances have little to do with it IMO.

It was the ridiculous slanging matches & great discussions that are highjacked by a select few that drove me away.

I only occasionally bother to look at SS now. Sad ...as it was a great place to interact with other mad Saints not so long ago.
I agree.

supersaints
Club Player

LTN16 wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:The on field performances have little to do with it IMO.

It was the ridiculous slanging matches & great discussions that are highjacked by a select few that drove me away.

I only occasionally bother to look at SS now. Sad ...as it was a great place to interact with other mad Saints not so long ago.
I agree.
Agree 100% , just read it every day these days and then turn off the IPhone as soon as the thread deteriates into the usual " look at me" poster. Hardly worth starting a topic any more just to see it get dragged into the mire, or add a comment to one and get your credibility sabotaged... Pity really. Used to be a fantastic site, feel for the mods and tireless workers like back from the USA.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
#gosaintas
Club Player

Plugger makes this site pretty unbearable at times. BM sits over at BF and does the same. Both trying to be the toughest hombres in their sandpit. Sad. BF is now better and broader in knowledge, mostly without the egos that are present here.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Plugger makes this site pretty unbearable at times. BM sits over at BF and does the same. Both trying to be the toughest hombres in their sandpit. Sad. BF is now better and broader in knowledge, mostly without the egos that are present here.

Thanks for the support. Im unsure you can be tough typing on the internet though. As you have said that I will completely change my style of posting.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Plugger makes this site pretty unbearable at times. BM sits over at BF and does the same. Both trying to be the toughest hombres in their sandpit. Sad. BF is now better and broader in knowledge, mostly without the egos that are present here.

Thanks for the support. Im unsure you can be tough typing on the internet though. As you have said that I will completely change my style of posting.
Nobody wants to change your style of posting, you are what you are. You have told us enough times that you have stacks of friends who share your views both at the Boundary and at your local footy. BM states similar tripe. Some post their view and stand back, others post their views and infect all threads until the entire point of the thread is lost.

You are killing this site.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:I've not been on here long, so not really qualified to comment on how this forum was beyond a couple of seasons ago, but i must say, I love the occassional input from actual club sources like Tony74 and Jaxons, they are really exciting to get the inside take with a bit of mystery and intrigue!! Other than, that, sometimes good threads get swamped with personal battles, but generally, the good debatable posts are good reading.

There are clearly some strong opinions out there, but i guess this forum is where they come, fanatics debating with other fanatics. If we were just sort of casually interested in the saints, i dare say, we wouldn't be spending time on a dedicated saints forum so heated debate is to be expected.

Maybe mods could just shut threads down a bit quicker when they become swamped with an obvious 2 person squabble. Nip it in the bud quickly.

Just my thoughts.

I take your point Wagga, but it's a tricky line to tread. This thread for example. A slanging match between two posters. Doesn't add any value to the thread or the forum, but shutting down the thread would prevent people like yourself and others having a say on this topic. The system in place of reporting and warning seems to be the best way to address this personal stuff.
I'd also mention that since the rules were significantly tightened up a year ago BFUSA in particular has copped a fair hammering for being too heavy handed with warnings. It's really a no win situation for the mods. There are posts in this thread that are clearly, by the book, abusive and worthy of a warning. But if every post that had abusive or derogatory comments directed at another poster in it was warned, no doubt there would be a pretty quick outcry about heavy handedness.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Nobody wants to change your style of posting, you are what you are. You have told us enough times that you have stacks of friends who share your views both at the Boundary and at your local footy. BM states similar tripe. Some post their view and stand back, others post their views and infect all threads until the entire point of the thread is lost.

Thanks for your imput. I will take it on board and then take no notice of it. If it came from a post I respect and who posts interesting stuff then I would take notice. And im not killing this site.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I have been on this site since the beginning. I spend more time at BF these days as I tired of every discussion being taken over by a particular poster. Hijacked is one word that is used. This person has for some reason set themselves up as the conscience of the site.

This style got taken up to an extent by some others. I find it highly irritating that a poster's thoughts are being forensically examined by someone at every opportunity just for the sake of it. And I mean every opportunity. 'Me, me, me'. Never a thread goes by without an interjection. As far as I am concerned most of those interjections are unwarranted and unwelcome.

So I agree that this site is sadly not what it once was.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thanks for your imput. I will take it on board and then take no notice of it. If it came from a post I respect and who posts interesting stuff then I would take notice. And im not killing this site.
I am certainly not the only one who has an issue with your ego trying to dominate this site. Maybe your world would be a little smoother if you occasionally listened to feedback that wasn't solely given to you by your mates at the bar or the footy club.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:I have been on this site since the beginning. I spend more time at BF these days as I tired of every discussion being taken over by a particular poster. Hijacked is one word that is used. This person has for some reason set themselves up as the conscience of the site.

This style got taken up to an extent by some others. I find it highly irritating that a poster's thoughts are being forensically examined by someone at every opportunity just for the sake of it. And I mean every opportunity. 'Me, me, me'. Never a thread goes by without an interjection. As far as I am concerned most of those interjections are unwarranted and unwelcome.

So I agree that this site is sadly not what it once was.
Hey Verdun.......... off track. I'll be at Lords for the Ashes Test in July............... My reciprocal pass gets me into the Members Pavillon days, 3, 4, & 5. Will you be there resplendent in your egg & bacon fancy outfit? If yes, we might get to share another red or two............... or maybe a jug of Pimms to remain in keeping with the style of Lords? :P

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It seems like I am killing the site. Im really sorry. I hope all those who have left but somehow posted today on a thread that has only gone for a day will return when they see that I have turned over a new leaf. And yes I know this post is again about me but I don't see how it can be any different. Im deeply sorry if I have wrecked the site. Strange that good posters like Dragit, Gringo, BM, St Byron, SainterK, Dr Spaceman, Dave McNamara,Spinner and many keep posting though. Actually maybe we could just make it we should all agree with each other even when bagging saints players or the club.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Loris, I sure will be. Not sure yet which days as I am doing a lot of coaching. But to share a red would be very good. Was that the 2005 Ashes we last had a drink together?

I think that was the Test I also caught up with Plugger14. We were quite a pair. Me in my MCC outfit, and Plugger in his sleeveless Saints jumper sharing a couple of beers down at the Nursery End. We had a few words with Shane Warne's brother outside the Ladbrokes Tent. Surreal.

jamesmc
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I am certainly not the only one who has an issue with your ego trying to dominate this site. Maybe your world would be a little smoother if you occasionally listened to feedback that wasn't solely given to you by your mates at the bar or the footy club.
+1
Maybe it's time he didn't have an opinion on every topic.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:It seems like I am killing the site. Im really sorry. I hope all those who have left but somehow posted today on a thread that has only gone for a day will return when they see that I have turned over a new leaf. And yes I know this post is again about me but I don't see how it can be any different. Im deeply sorry if I have wrecked the site. Strange that good posters like Dragit, Gringo, BM, St Byron, SainterK, Dr Spaceman, Dave McNamara,Spinner and many keep posting though. Actually maybe we could just make it we should all agree with each other even when bagging saints players or the club.
You don't know what this site was like before you arrived. I will leave it at that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:It seems like I am killing the site. Im really sorry. I hope all those who have left but somehow posted today on a thread that has only gone for a day will return when they see that I have turned over a new leaf. And yes I know this post is again about me but I don't see how it can be any different. Im deeply sorry if I have wrecked the site. Strange that good posters like Dragit, Gringo, BM, St Byron, SainterK, Dr Spaceman, Dave McNamara,Spinner and many keep posting though. Actually maybe we could just make it we should all agree with each other even when bagging saints players or the club.
You don't know what this site was like before you arrived. I will leave it at that.

Yes I do. Thanks for leaving it at that. Strange that the site has been wrecked for 8 years but is still going. I find you a nice person and im upset that I upset you.

#gosaintas
Club Player

jamesmc wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

+1
Maybe it's time he didn't have an opinion on every topic.

It's not just that he has an opinion on every topic or that he acts like a smug AFL spokesperson, it's the fact that he has to shove that opinion down everybodies throat so far that each thread becomes useless. Saints BF is growing in popularity just to avoid him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

This is going well.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Ladder position is probably part of the reason - but not all IMO. Used to like discussing the Saints on here. I've posted once in about 4 months - votes last week, have a quick look now and then.

I still reckon it's the bullies, trolls and swampers/attention seekers that put a lot of people off these boards. Seems like it's only about 10 posters out of 5000. Ended up never opening topics they start, and dodging their posts in threads I was reading.

Don't like personal attacks and threads bagging players - wonder whether folks slam others in real life, or only tough internet hombres?
A Yellow card, Red card system would be good.

Perhaps when/if the Saints start winning matches, SS should have more traffic and less sledging.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 09 Apr 2015 6:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
loris
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Loris, I sure will be. Not sure yet which days as I am doing a lot of coaching. But to share a red would be very good. Was that the 2005 Ashes we last had a drink together?

I think that was the Test I also caught up with Plugger14. We were quite a pair. Me in my MCC outfit, and Plugger in his sleeveless Saints jumper sharing a couple of beers down at the Nursery End. We had a few words with Shane Warne's brother outside the Ladbrokes Tent. Surreal.
Will PM you my details closer to the date of my coming over. I'm renting a flat in St John's Wood, Abbey Road way just overlooking that famous pedestrian crossing for the period of that match......... Ofcourse I will have to get a photo of myself walking across that zebra crossing, sans shoes, but with my Saints scarf on show!!

Yes it was 2005. Warnie's bro didn't take too kindly to Plugger14 from what I can recall :lol:

Where is Plugger14? Another good poster from many years on this site who vary rarely posts on here these days. Maybe he has just changed his nom de plume :?