Nic discussion - moved from Longer and Hickey thread

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nic discussion - moved from Longer and Hickey thread

so no one typed anything then and posted?

really this is quite stupid

you wouldve copped less flack if you just used the same ID and posted after having a break from the place

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:so no one typed anything then and posted?

really this is quite stupid

you wouldve copped less flack if you just used the same ID and posted after having a break from the place

like others on here you just dont get it, so let it go.

Nobodies business, including yours why Bunk_Moreland posts here and joffaboy doesn't.

All you need to do is be a good forum member and abide by the mods decision.

Really, its not that difficult to do.

As for flak - lol. The only ones I see copping flak are recidivists who are getting warnings, and the only posters I see getting upset are onees other than Bunk_Moreland

You are garbage - Enough said
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I doubt anyone's getting upset (aside from any who might be hitting 'that' button). Members are just having a bit of playful fun reminding a certain poster (formerly known as joffaboy, now known as bunk) about his (or her?) sudden and moody departure and just as sudden return. And it's the poster, not the avatar, that they are addressing. There's no harm or spite intended. The poster has been part of this community for some time and some playful ribbing between comrades is natural in the circumstances. Changing the name of an avatar does not change the poster. It may change the way the poster intends to communicate on the forum, but it''s still Bruce bashing the keyboard (or 'stroking with diplomacy' may be a better term for it now?).

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
HarryM
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Changing the name of an avatar does not change the poster.
A leopard never changes his spots. :D

asiu
Saintsational Legend

talkn about spots.

... your earlier post was missing the ' :D '

first one, as i remember it.

are u confused between this id 'n the id khunty already ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

HarryM wrote:
desertsaint wrote: Changing the name of an avatar does not change the poster.
A leopard never changes his spots. :D
No matter what you call a cabbage, it will always be a cabbage. :wink:

When you've got the Choir ready to sing 'looking in the same direction' shoot me a bell and i'll tune in for a laugh :D

asiu
Saintsational Legend

shoot you with a bell huh ... hmmmmm

nice quest , ta.
... i need a quest.

slow moving , not real smart , follower ,
.... hmmmmm.

how to propel the bell.

BackFromTheChinaCafe
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:like others on here you just dont get it, so let it go.

Nobodies business, including yours why Bunk_Moreland posts here and joffaboy doesn't.

All you need to do is be a good forum member and abide by the mods decision.

Really, its not that difficult to do.

As for flak - lol. The only ones I see copping flak are recidivists who are getting warnings, and the only posters I see getting upset are onees other than Bunk_Moreland

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hahaha
how funny.

... only today i was wondering where my 'Everyone Pretend to be Normal' badge , was.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:I doubt anyone's getting upset (aside from any who might be hitting 'that' button). Members are just having a bit of playful fun reminding a certain poster (formerly known as joffaboy, now known as bunk) about his (or her?) sudden and moody departure and just as sudden return. And it's the poster, not the avatar, that they are addressing. There's no harm or spite intended. The poster has been part of this community for some time and some playful ribbing between comrades is natural in the circumstances. Changing the name of an avatar does not change the poster. It may change the way the poster intends to communicate on the forum, but it''s still Bruce bashing the keyboard (or 'stroking with diplomacy' may be a better term for it now?).

It is not the way Bunk_Moreland sees it, or more importantly how the moderators see it.

Dont be so upset by a decision. Bunk understand common courtesy is in short supply when it comes to internet avatars, but dont have a little hissy because you are made to abide by the forum rules..

And reading posts from HarryM and others there is spite and harm intended. It has been requested to the moderators that Bunk_Moreland is addressed s such.

It is simple, if you cannot do that after knowing that is the request, you will be reported and the moderators have indicated you will get a warning.

Not Bunks fault if you are too discourteous or too pig headed to follow the forum rules

cheers

Bunk_Moreland

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
desertsaint wrote:I doubt anyone's getting upset (aside from any who might be hitting 'that' button). Members are just having a bit of playful fun reminding a certain poster (formerly known as joffaboy, now known as bunk) about his (or her?) sudden and moody departure and just as sudden return. And it's the poster, not the avatar, that they are addressing. There's no harm or spite intended. The poster has been part of this community for some time and some playful ribbing between comrades is natural in the circumstances. Changing the name of an avatar does not change the poster. It may change the way the poster intends to communicate on the forum, but it''s still Bruce bashing the keyboard (or 'stroking with diplomacy' may be a better term for it now?).

It is not the way Bunk_Moreland sees it, or more importantly how the moderators see it.

Dont be so upset by a decision. Bunk understand common courtesy is in short supply when it comes to internet avatars, but dont have a little hissy because you are made to abide by the forum rules..

And reading posts from HarryM and others there is spite and harm intended. It has been requested to the moderators that Bunk_Moreland is addressed s such.

It is simple, if you cannot do that after knowing that is the request, you will be reported and the moderators have indicated you will get a warning.

Not Bunks fault if you are too discourteous or too pig headed to follow the forum rules

cheers

Bunk_Moreland

Got to say I dont understand why the mods agreed to give warnings for calling someone another nic. It isnt abusive for a start. What if I went to the mods and said my nic is plugger66 and if people call me P66 then I want warnings. lets be honest your previous nic isnt slightly abusive and the mods should have told you to jam your request. having said that I will call you BM because its a waste of a warning for calling someone some other nic. Id rather call some one a really abusive name and still get the same warning. That probably just proves how silly it is to issue a warning for calling someone else another nic. Could you imagine if 50 of us went to the mods asking for warnings for not using the correct nic. The place would go more insane than usual.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Got to say I dont understand why the mods agreed to give warnings for calling someone another nic. It isnt abusive for a start. What if I went to the mods and said my nic is plugger66 and if people call me P66 then I want warnings. lets be honest your previous nic isnt slightly abusive and the mods should have told you to jam your request. having said that I will call you BM because its a waste of a warning for calling someone some other nic. Id rather call some one a really abusive name and still get the same warning. That probably just proves how silly it is to issue a warning for calling someone else another nic. Could you imagine if 50 of us went to the mods asking for warnings for not using the correct nic. The place would go more insane than usual.

Plugger, I don't get what's so hard for you and others to understand about this. I'll have another go.

Beau Wilkes changed his name to Beau Maister. As did Lamumba and Brian Lake.
If you had any kind of ongoing interaction with Beau Maister and continued to call him Wilkes, even though he'd made it clear as day that he didn't want to be called that, it might be seen as a bit discourteous. If after his repeated requests to call him Maister, you continued to call him Wilkes even though it clearly pissed him off, then it would be just plain rude and disrespectful.
There's nothing abusive about the name Wilkes in itself, and it's still the same guy you're talking to. The point is he wants people to know him and address him as Maister. Would you refuse to comply with his request because you felt you had a right to call him whatever you like, or what you used to know him as? Whatever his reasons for changing his name, it's his business and it's just courtesy to respect his choice.

In this case, a poster has made it crystal clear that he wants to be known by a certain nic and that he doesn't want to be called or referred to by his old nic. Whether the old nic is abusive or not is irrelevant.
The poster has made repeated requests in multiple threads for people not to call him by his old nic. If other posters become aware of this request, yet continue to ignore it and use the old nic - and especially if they use the old nic not just out of habit, but to get a reaction, 'prod' the poster or to hang on to their 'right' to call him what they want, then that seems to me to qualify as baiting.
The poster has as a last resort to try and get people to comply with his choice of name, sought support from the mods, and IMO that's rightly being given because baiting is against the rules.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: Got to say I dont understand why the mods agreed to give warnings for calling someone another nic. It isnt abusive for a start. What if I went to the mods and said my nic is plugger66 and if people call me P66 then I want warnings. lets be honest your previous nic isnt slightly abusive and the mods should have told you to jam your request. having said that I will call you BM because its a waste of a warning for calling someone some other nic. Id rather call some one a really abusive name and still get the same warning. That probably just proves how silly it is to issue a warning for calling someone else another nic. Could you imagine if 50 of us went to the mods asking for warnings for not using the correct nic. The place would go more insane than usual.

Fair enough, P66, I understand you call BigMart BM and dont want to call me that. Why dont you ues Bunk?

Better still, I will call you Betty, and you can call me Al :D :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Fair enough, P66, I understand you call BigMart BM and dont want to call me that. Why dont you ues Bunk?

Better still, I will call you Betty, and you can call me Al :D :D

No worries Al.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i would have thought requesting the mods to issue a warning for anything was a breach of the rules...

"GRIEVANCES

Please note that all official warnings will be done via PM to the offending poster and the warning and the reason for the warning will be published within the offending post as an aid to assist all posters in identifying and understanding breaches.

Should a Moderator be required to edit a post, this will be shown in the post and a warning and explanation issued in private to that poster via PM.

If a person wishes to discuss this further, please do so with the Moderation team via PM.

The Moderation team have the final say and are here to provide a fun environment for us to celebrate all things St Kilda Football Club.

Please accept the umpire's decision and move on.

The above penalty system gives you three chances before your enjoyment of the community will be restricted. Take advantage of those three chances to improve your conduct.

Do not start threads requesting discipline of other members, nor PM the Moderators requesting punishment.

You are entitled to report behaviour you believe contravenes the rules, but it will be at the Moderator discretion as to the punishment required."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i would have thought requesting the mods to issue a warning for anything was a breach of the rules...

"GRIEVANCES

Please note that all official warnings will be done via PM to the offending poster and the warning and the reason for the warning will be published within the offending post as an aid to assist all posters in identifying and understanding breaches.

Should a Moderator be required to edit a post, this will be shown in the post and a warning and explanation issued in private to that poster via PM.

If a person wishes to discuss this further, please do so with the Moderation team via PM.

The Moderation team have the final say and are here to provide a fun environment for us to celebrate all things St Kilda Football Club.

Please accept the umpire's decision and move on.

The above penalty system gives you three chances before your enjoyment of the community will be restricted. Take advantage of those three chances to improve your conduct.

Do not start threads requesting discipline of other members, nor PM the Moderators requesting punishment.

You are entitled to report behaviour you believe contravenes the rules, but it will be at the Moderator discretion as to the punishment required."

Cant see what BM has done wrong based on that. I dont think he started a thread requesting discipline, I think he probably PMed the mods so its completely different. Doont like it but certainly not against any rule I can see.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: The poster has as a last resort to try and get people to comply with his choice of name, sought support from the mods, and IMO that's rightly being given because baiting is against the rules.

"Do not start threads requesting discipline of other members, nor PM the Moderators requesting punishment."

isn't that just what this poster has done st b.....????...or are the warnings your idea...???

he's certainly telling other posters that if they refer to him as his previous nic, they will get a warning.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Plugger, I don't get what's so hard for you and others to understand about this. I'll have another go.

Beau Wilkes changed his name to Beau Maister. As did Lamumba and Brian Lake.
If you had any kind of ongoing interaction with Beau Maister and continued to call him Wilkes, even though he'd made it clear as day that he didn't want to be called that, it might be seen as a bit discourteous. If after his repeated requests to call him Maister, you continued to call him Wilkes even though it clearly pissed him off, then it would be just plain rude and disrespectful.
There's nothing abusive about the name Wilkes in itself, and it's still the same guy you're talking to. The point is he wants people to know him and address him as Maister. Would you refuse to comply with his request because you felt you had a right to call him whatever you like, or what you used to know him as? Whatever his reasons for changing his name, it's his business and it's just courtesy to respect his choice.

In this case, a poster has made it crystal clear that he wants to be known by a certain nic and that he doesn't want to be called or referred to by his old nic. Whether the old nic is abusive or not is irrelevant.
The poster has made repeated requests in multiple threads for people not to call him by his old nic. If other posters become aware of this request, yet continue to ignore it and use the old nic - and especially if they use the old nic not just out of habit, but to get a reaction, 'prod' the poster or to hang on to their 'right' to call him what they want, then that seems to me to qualify as baiting.
The poster has as a last resort to try and get people to comply with his choice of name, sought support from the mods, and IMO that's rightly being given because baiting is against the rules.

I have been told by Bunk that they are real people so they cant be used as an example. Seems like just another way of adding more rules when common sense would be better. Anyway I really dont care but dont see the need.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

oh i get it now bunk

youre a child :roll:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: "Do not start threads requesting discipline of other members, nor PM the Moderators requesting punishment."

isn't that just what this poster has done st b.....????...or are the warnings your idea...???

he's certainly telling other posters that if they refer to him as his previous nic, they will get a warning.....
The process was that a post containing reference to the previous nic was reported. In following up the report I exchanged some PM's with a couple of posters.
In the course of the PM's, as well as in the forum, it became clear that Bunk wanted others to respect his name change and that others were having difficulty with that.

There were no threads started as a way of engaging the mods to punish anyone. Posts were reported following the reporting procedure and the mods responded.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
stinger wrote: "Do not start threads requesting discipline of other members, nor PM the Moderators requesting punishment."

The process was that a post containing reference to the previous nic was reported. In following up the report I exchanged some PM's with a couple of posters.
In the course of the PM's, as well as in the forum, it became clear that Bunk wanted others to respect his name change and that others were having difficulty with that.

There were no threads started as a way of engaging the mods to punish anyone. Posts were reported following the reporting procedure and the mods responded.

i accept that there were no threads started...never said they were.......but there is a NOR in that sentence......i'm still not convinced that there were no pm's to the mods requesting punishment..

...now if you can clear this last part up and give the members an assurance...well and good.... :wink: :D ...as yet that remains unanswered....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
st.byron wrote:

i accept that there were no threads started...never said they were.......but there is a NOR in that sentence......i'm still not convinced that there were no pm's to the mods requesting punishment..

...now if you can clear this last part up and give the members an assurance...well and good.... :wink: :D ...as yet that remains unanswered....

The mod said it was done correctly so no answer remains.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 28 Jul 2014 4:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

can't be asking of a mod to do more than communicate.

at least this ones having a go.
... i trust him , to execute his responsibilities , fairly.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Happy to reply to any queries anyone has about my 'modding' activities. Strange how being a mod creates a degree of perceived 'separation'.

There was no PM requesting punishment. There was a reported post and in following that up, I suggested that people should respect the poster's wishes and that if they don't, after repeated requests, then it becomes baiting.
Following the reported post, he actually accepted my offer of support, rather than him pushing for his own way and the mods reacting to that.