Suggestion Box

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Suggestion Box

Principle of Q'uo wrote:Marto's over at Big Footy.
Cons back on the Ham Forum.

cant u bombard someone else with your
need to argue in ever decreasing circles ?

Pluggers view.
It cant happen.
It wont happen.
It shouldnt happen.

do we need endless reams of quoted posts every 2 minutes
We get it.

Position noted.
thanx for your involvement.

And thanks for yours. Im sorry but I can bombard as much as I like if I arent breaking the rules. This is what I gleam from 12 pages of rubbish. CM wants a voting system which wont happen, GO wants membership which wont happen, matrix wants technical improvements which clearly is the most logical and im unsure what you want at all. The rest of the people hardly seem to have any interest at all in what happens to the forum and most obviously are happy as it is especially if they can make technical improvements.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

ok , my turn.

... way back when , Cairnsy brought up another issue
that i thought 'on target' , with regards to a well organised site.

it centred around only one person having Admin skills
being available and compentant with said skills.

Has Simon taken on an 'apprentice' with regards to this issue ?
... if not , why hasnt st.byron been brought up to speed at the very least.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Ok so let's have a think about these proposals for technical upgrades.

Can they be achieved with phpBB software?

If they can't, what software is capable of providing the desired upgrade(s).

Will the software be some type of freeware that requires advertising?

If so, this throws up another issue with regards to remaining independent and avoiding breaches of the club/AFL licence agreements.

As soon as this site becomes commercial by generating a revenue stream then it could effect our desire to retain free speech and independence from the club and AFL.

So possibly a good option would be to purchase an off-the-shelf software package doesn't require advertising and that is paid for by donations or memberships or both which brings us back to an existing issue currently under discussion.

That last point highlights how most of the issues thrown up over the past 12 months are intertwined such as ownership, free speech, independence, succession planning, management of finances, administration, rules, moderation and voting systems.

Having said that is there a freeware software package that doesn't rely on advertising other than phpBB?

It is also worth noting that phpBB is open source and customisable and as such there are programmers that could possible code the functions desired...this option needs money too.

Good to see some good input, hopefully we get more.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
But i want to sponsor a player. You are suggesting that would be included in membership. I have no interest in that and you failed to even answer the part about bugger all being interested and then bugger all controlling the place. And also the fact we cant get enough to cover MM with his sponsorship anyway. I honestly think if it didnt include sponsoring of a player you whould be lucky to get 10 people joining. Some will say im not paying until I know what the changes will be and we again go around in circles. GO why not start your own forum if this one gives you the s***s?
That idea is not set in concrete Plug.... It's only an idea. I'm sure that others can polish it up to allow for the option you mention.

This forum doesn't give me the s***s BTW.... I can just see how it can be made heaps better.

Silly to through the baby out with the bathwater..... why start another forum?

Well if you want some sort of voting or membership system Im suggesting it will never happen so the options are to take this how it is or start another forum.
No.

Why can't you get the idea that things don't have to be as they always have been?

There is always opportunity for improvement. In life, if you are not moving forward you are moving backwards. There is no standing still.

This forum could be something special, just needs a kickstart.
Hey GO been thinking about how a membership model could work.

What if membership was offered to members that had a specified level of posts and years of membership, could this be a way of countering the argument that members could buy their way into power?

Could it be a way of members establishing their credibility as a genuine, caring, sharing and committed Saint and Saintsationalist.

Then you could have a one member, one vote type system and know that the people that are voting are the caring and sharing community focused type of characters.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
But i want to sponsor a player. You are suggesting that would be included in membership. I have no interest in that and you failed to even answer the part about bugger all being interested and then bugger all controlling the place. And also the fact we cant get enough to cover MM with his sponsorship anyway. I honestly think if it didnt include sponsoring of a player you whould be lucky to get 10 people joining. Some will say im not paying until I know what the changes will be and we again go around in circles. GO why not start your own forum if this one gives you the s***s?
That idea is not set in concrete Plug.... It's only an idea. I'm sure that others can polish it up to allow for the option you mention.

This forum doesn't give me the s***s BTW.... I can just see how it can be made heaps better.

Well if you want some sort of voting or membership system Im suggesting it will never happen so the options are to take this how it is or start another forum.
No.

Why can't you get the idea that things don't have to be as they always have been?

There is always opportunity for improvement. In life, if you are not moving forward you are moving backwards. There is no standing still.

What if membership was offered to members that had a specified level of posts and years of membership, could this be a way of countering the argument that members could buy their way into power?

Could it be a way of members establishing their credibility as a genuine, caring, sharing and committed Saint and Saintsationalist.

Then you could have a one member, one vote type system and know that the people that are voting are the caring and sharing community focused type of characters.

You know how silly that sounds. Do you want me and Stinger to be running the show? And buying there way into power. Its a silly fan forum. Lets fix the technical stuff, if possible, and forget any other rubbish like membership and voting.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Simple Plug..... Introduce a membership status that involves paying a membership fee.

Completely voluntary.

Site would still be fully accessible whether you paid or not.

Additional benefits available for those who choose to pay.

Signed memorabilia etc..... the opportunities are endless.

Would pay for hosting, software updates, player sponsorship, etc etc

This forum could become a powerhouse among fan forums if we wanted to be.

It's just waiting to happen, if we could break the shackles over this ridiculous absent owner issue.

It would take about five minutes for those who pay to regard their opinions and wants to be more important than those who don't.
"I'm paying for this site, so I have more rights".
Gold class members and ordinary plebs.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

st.byron wrote:It would take about five minutes for those who pay to regard their opinions and wants to be more important than those who don't.
Fair point Byron. That could well be a danger, and would have to be considered in the mix.

But how's about CM's suggestion above?

(Though that might disadvantage long-standing contributors to the Saintsational community, should one of them decide to change their alias/disown their earlier posting history...?)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
st.byron wrote:It would take about five minutes for those who pay to regard their opinions and wants to be more important than those who don't.
Fair point Byron. That could well be a danger, and would have to be considered in the mix.

But how's about CM's suggestion above?

(Though that might disadvantage long-standing contributors to the Saintsational community, should one of them decide to change their alias/disown their earlier posting history...?)

lol :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

st.byron wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Simple Plug..... Introduce a membership status that involves paying a membership fee.

Completely voluntary.

It's just waiting to happen, if we could break the shackles over this ridiculous absent owner issue.

It would take about five minutes for those who pay to regard their opinions and wants to be more important than those who don't.
And those that pay should have more input than those that don't.

Only fair.

But the role of the admin and mods will be to keep that in check.

Like an umpire in a footy match.

Those who care about the forum and its future directions will willingly pay. Those that don't give a s*** and won't pay get the forum that they don't pay for.

The forum needs capital investment to survive by diversifying into other areas. With other means of communication being developed every day, this forum will eventually fade away. Even facebook is on the decline. A poll on the age profile of posters will show that we have bugger-all under 30s posting. They all choose other methods of communication.

Time to move forward and adapt like homo sapiens has, or die out like the dinosaurs.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No.

Exactly.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

Completely voluntary.

Again there is so much irony in your one-eyed claims...at present the way I see there is heavy bias of opinions towards BFUSA namely because he has taken control of the site and also constantly tells us how much more money he has to throw around. I'm already sorry about that last sentence but it is difficult to not have outbursts like that if you keep carrying on hysterically. Wasn't it you who tried to facilitate this open discussion and get BFUSA to come to the round table, well it was and all I see is you trying to sabotage the discussion. With all due respect...pull ya f****** head in and please, please open your currently closed mind and try and see if you can throw some positive think tank our way.

Now...where was I...oh yeah...

Who is suggesting that the process should just allow any lunatic or lunatics to gain any type of control or influence over the site, Byron you are making that big assumption. Surely you can see that the people that are forwarding ideas and proposals in this thread all have a common interest in supporting community based and focused management that is sustainable long into the future. I doubt very much that any of us want to see the site run into the ground.

Let's just call myself, P66, Stinger, GO, POQ and Dave Mac lunatics for arguments sake, I don' think any of us are asking to be in control but I think we all certainly qualify as people that have a vested interest in the site and would be good candidates as voters on some type of sub committee that feeds up to an administration panel. Does that make sense?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
st.byron wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

Completely voluntary.

Again there is so much irony in your one-eyed claims...at present the way I see there is heavy bias of opinions towards BFUSA namely because he has taken control of the site and also constantly tells us how much more money he has to throw around. I'm already sorry about that last sentence but it is difficult to not have outbursts like that if you keep carrying on hysterically. Wasn't it you who tried to facilitate this open discussion and get BFUSA to come to the round table, well it was and all I see is you trying to sabotage the discussion. With all due respect...pull ya f****** head in and please, please open your currently closed mind and try and see if you can throw some positive think tank our way.

Who is suggesting that the process should just allow any lunatic or lunatics to gain any type of control or influence over the site, Byron you are making that big assumption. Surely you can see that the people that are forwarding ideas and proposals in this thread all have a common interest in supporting community based and focused management that is sustainable long into the future. I doubt very much that any of us want to see the site run into the ground.

Let's just call myself, P66, Stinger, GO, POQ and Dave Mac lunatics for arguments sake, I don' think any of us are asking to be in control but I think we all certainly qualify as people that have a vested interest in the site and would be good candidates as voters on some type of sub committee that feeds up to an administration panel. Does that make sense?

Lets just say I have no interest in changing the site apart from technical changes. All the other stuff is pie in the sky stuff and I think I speak for Stinger as well. Not so sure on Dave but I certainly know the rest of you want changes. The problem is it doesnt seem anyone else wants them.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Again there is so much irony in your one-eyed claims...at present the way I see there is heavy bias of opinions towards BFUSA namely because he has taken control of the site and also constantly tells us how much more money he has to throw around. I'm already sorry about that last sentence but it is difficult to not have outbursts like that if you keep carrying on hysterically. Wasn't it you who tried to facilitate this open discussion and get BFUSA to come to the round table, well it was and all I see is you trying to sabotage the discussion. With all due respect...pull ya f****** head in and please, please open your currently closed mind and try and see if you can throw some positive think tank our way.

Prefacing an insult with "With all due respect" doesn't make it any less of an insult. I don't take too kindly to being told to pull my f****** head in just because I don't agree with you. And I'm being hysterical???? Don't reckon.

You may see there's a "bias of opinion" towards the way the site's being administered. I don't see it that way. I see it as a general level of satisfaction and acceptance with forum admin and moderation. If that's not true where are the ongoing complaints apart from those coming from the same few posters?
I do agree that it would be better if the site owner was more responsive to input regarding structural and format changes but I'm not at all IT savvy so can't comment with any knowledge on the various technical suggestions that are made, except to say that I support anything that makes the forum more attractive and user friendly.

Yes I sought to facilitate discussion about the issues you and others had about site management and application of the rules. As far as I can see that discussion's been pretty thoroughly explored in various threads.
Discussion about committees of posters and changing the structure and operation of the forum by a voting system is a whole other level of that debate.

I don't support posters being able to vote on changes to the site because I think it's a fundamentally flawed idea on an anonymous, free internet forum operating under it's present ownership structure. I think the idea of paying for membership or tiers of membership is also fundamentally flawed. I think they're ideas based on ideology rather than practical applicability and I'm not interested in pursuing them. I think they would create more problems rather than less. That's my opinion. Just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I have to "pull my f****** head in" and not express it.
You have a different opinion. OK. Go right ahead and pursue it. If there is enough support for it amongst forumites, then it will have legs.
I'm not seeing lots of other posters jumping on board clamouring to be able to vote. In fact, I'm seeing you and maybe a couple of others pushing for it, largely IMO because you've taken issue with the way BFUSA has administered the site. Otherwise there seems to pretty negligible support for it.

I'm not suggesting that 'any lunatic' could control or influence the site. I'm saying, and given the level of emotive charge you've had with site admin over a number of months I think I have good reason, that a voting system or paid membership implemented amongst the current posting group would result in cliques and factions that would become unmanageable. I reckon there would be significantly more 'toys out of the cot' behaviour, abuse and alliance forming. It wasn't so long ago that the 'left' and 'right' factions were regularly abusing and insulting one another on a daily basis. It has in fact been the implementation of the new rules and admin policies that have stopped it. And the forum is, to me, much better for it.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't so long ago that the 'left' and 'right' factions were regularly abusing and insulting one another on a daily basis. It has in fact been the implementation of the new rules and admin policies that have stopped it. And the forum is, to me, much better for it.
imo , this statement is absolute bunkhum.
.. it is neither the truth nor represents the truth.

Evidence show'd then as it would show today ,
1 Right Winger intent on destroying a community.

The moderation was asked repeatedly to remove the cancer from the community
by the community.

Instead ... moderation removed the community.

the policies WERE NOT successful
they were an ABJECT FAILURE.

<calling another poster a "cancer" is offensive and thus a breach. Warning issued.>

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

i don't know why you put up with this kind of abuse st b...don't feed the zoo animals i say

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
I'm not suggesting that 'any lunatic' could control or influence the site. I'm saying, and given the level of emotive charge you've had with site admin over a number of months I think I have good reason, that a voting system or paid membership implemented amongst the current posting group would result in cliques and factions that would become unmanageable. I reckon there would be significantly more 'toys out of the cot' behaviour, abuse and alliance forming. It wasn't so long ago that the 'left' and 'right' factions were regularly abusing and insulting one another on a daily basis. It has in fact been the implementation of the new rules and admin policies that have stopped it. And the forum is, to me, much better for it.

not so sure about that mate...there was/is a group of socialists on here that set about trying to get me banned for posting articles critical of crappy labor governments.....i called them the rat pack...they are a clique and or a faction with posters coimng in or out of the group...depending upon the subject matter...in the end they were all on my ignore list but continued ...as they still do...stalk me...agitating for my removal from the forum....i gave up trading insults with them after the animal enclosure bannings......these are the same guys now trying to take over the forum....don't be fooled by them...they have evil intentions....but you know of of that already.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
st.byron wrote:

not so sure about that mate...there was/is a group of socialists on here that set about trying to get me banned for posting articles critical of crappy labor governments.....i called them the rat pack...they are a clique and or a faction with posters coimng in or out of the group...depending upon the subject matter...in the end they were all on my ignore list but continued ...as they still do...stalk me...agitating for my removal from the forum....i gave up trading insults with them after the animal enclosure bannings......these are the same guys now trying to take over the forum....don't be fooled by them...they have evil intentions....but you know of of that already.....

Seriously Stinger you need to get over yourself. They posted left articles and you post right. Just because you dont see what they write because you have them on ignore doesnt mean they are stalking you because they disagree with what you post. Harden up.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

lol @ evil intentions.

the rat - pack ='s a pack of nasties (lol) who come in and out of the pack
depending on subject matter !!!!

Case rested your Honour.
This litigant is a persistant whinger 'n whiner who claims being stalked
by a non existant rat pack who magically appear n disappear.

The guys a committable fruit cake one minute n a cream puff the next.
God help us.
... and (y)our glorious Leader raped a Community on this guys blatherings !!!!

Unbloodybelievable.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Principle of Q'uo wrote:
It wasn't so long ago that the 'left' and 'right' factions were regularly abusing and insulting one another on a daily basis. It has in fact been the implementation of the new rules and admin policies that have stopped it. And the forum is, to me, much better for it.
imo , this statement is absolute bunkhum.
.. it is neither the truth nor represents the truth.

Evidence show'd then as it would show today ,
1 Right Winger intent on destroying a community.

The moderation was asked repeatedly to remove the cancer from the community
by the community.

Instead ... moderation removed the community.

the policies WERE NOT successful
they were an ABJECT FAILURE.
This kind of post is exactly the reason I reckon any attempt at democracy on here will crash and burn in factions and personal enmity. Too much personal history. Too much he said/they said. Too much intent to vilify and divide. You're so caught up in your dislike of Stinger that you've missed my point entirely. You're posting about unity yesterday and talking about someone as a cancer today. Idealism is wonderful until it runs into the reality of the darkness we harbour within.
Take off your personal agenda glasses against Stinger for a sec.

There are plenty of posters on here other than Stinger who tend to hold views that could be described as more right leaning. I could name several who share that political orientation off the top of my head. (No comment being made here about the particular views being held by anyone and everyone has a right to their opinion and views)
It was not an uncommon event for those with a right wing bent to take their side of the argument and those with a left wing bent to take theirs - and for abuse, name calling and playing the man to follow. It happened regularly. I haven't seen it for some time now. So something's working.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

No one traded insults with you.
We watched you deconstruct in front of our very eyes !!!!

Did it yourself ... to yourself.
Idiot like behaviour.

The AE was shut down to save u any further embarrassment
after continued calls by the 'rat pack' to do so.

even 'we' were embarrassed for you.
Pathetic.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i dont miss your point at all byron.

U , make grandiose statements of UNTRUTH.
(quite regularly) to support your views.

Thats 'PROPAGANDA'

Stop it , please.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Show me any of the 'other' right whingers that posted
.... that their sole intent was to wreck the Community.

Stinger posted it often and joyfully.

like i said , he was 'n IS a Community Cancer.

a lying 2faced Cancer we have to deal with ,
coz your GL didnt have the balls to remove him ,
as requested , by the Community.

Go back n read the history byron.
... its ALL there !

not propaganda but FACT.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Cairnsman wrote: Again there is so much irony in your one-eyed claims...at present the way I see there is heavy bias of opinions towards BFUSA namely because he has taken control of the site and also constantly tells us how much more money he has to throw around. I'm already sorry about that last sentence but it is difficult to not have outbursts like that if you keep carrying on hysterically. Wasn't it you who tried to facilitate this open discussion and get BFUSA to come to the round table, well it was and all I see is you trying to sabotage the discussion. With all due respect...pull ya f****** head in and please, please open your currently closed mind and try and see if you can throw some positive think tank our way.

Prefacing an insult with "With all due respect" doesn't make it any less of an insult. I don't take too kindly to being told to pull my f****** head in just because I don't agree with you. And I'm being hysterical???? Don't reckon.

You may see there's a "bias of opinion" towards the way the site's being administered. I don't see it that way. I see it as a general level of satisfaction and acceptance with forum admin and moderation. If that's not true where are the ongoing complaints apart from those coming from the same few posters?
I do agree that it would be better if the site owner was more responsive to input regarding structural and format changes but I'm not at all IT savvy so can't comment with any knowledge on the various technical suggestions that are made, except to say that I support anything that makes the forum more attractive and user friendly.

Yes I sought to facilitate discussion about the issues you and others had about site management and application of the rules. As far as I can see that discussion's been pretty thoroughly explored in various threads.
Discussion about committees of posters and changing the structure and operation of the forum by a voting system is a whole other level of that debate.

I don't support posters being able to vote on changes to the site because I think it's a fundamentally flawed idea on an anonymous, free internet forum operating under it's present ownership structure. I think the idea of paying for membership or tiers of membership is also fundamentally flawed. I think they're ideas based on ideology rather than practical applicability and I'm not interested in pursuing them. I think they would create more problems rather than less. That's my opinion. Just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I have to "pull my f****** head in" and not express it.
You have a different opinion. OK. Go right ahead and pursue it. If there is enough support for it amongst forumites, then it will have legs.
I'm not seeing lots of other posters jumping on board clamouring to be able to vote. In fact, I'm seeing you and maybe a couple of others pushing for it, largely IMO because you've taken issue with the way BFUSA has administered the site. Otherwise there seems to pretty negligible support for it.

Well..... to sum all that s*** up..... we're all stuffed and the forum is going to hell..... if that is any indication of the admin attitude.

Sooner or later, it will implode.

Such is life.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote: Well..... to sum all that s*** up..... we're all stuffed and the forum is going to hell..... if that is any indication of the admin attitude.

Sooner or later, it will implode.

Such is life.
It's my personal opinion. Not the opinion of the administrator.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

WOW ... you go away for the split round and look what has happened.

Entertaining stuff.

TO Matrix:

Your suggestions are being worked on

TO CAIRNSMAN:

Much of what you write is your view of events and not the "truth" but rather than argue everything ...

You still have a problem understanding that:

(1) In July 13 I was just mad a MOD and acted as an advocate for posters to admin to get some improvements done ... as a MOD I had no admin ability JUST moderation

During this time I floated lots of different ideas and got lots of feedback of what posters wanted and too those ideas that got through / supported to admin

(2) In February 14 - the site owner and the then admin handed me the keyts to be Admin ... and at that point my role and responsibilities changed ...

During this period, I recruited a group of mods, opened an admin forum to have issues discussed seeking feedback such as the opinions expressed here

(3) The site has never been "strapped for cash" as such and the owner NEVER came asking for money - we (posters here well before you) MADE him stop paying as WE wanted to contribute to the cost ... we VOLUNTEERED to do so ... it gave us no rights at all ... but IF $ contributions did give you a right to influence then according to the donations given MATRIX has more right than most, Stinger certainly has a right to contribute his thoughts, kosifantutti has been a champ and even GrumpyOne put his hand up in the early days (one of the first to donate) amongst dozens who are active posters on the fan forum ... but some others that figure prominently in this discussion in the Admin Forum would certainly have NO SAY AT ALL ... however that isn't the way Saintsational operates ... and ALL opinions are welcome including yours.

Those that donated understood then and now ... it was a donation and did not give them any sort of voting rights and that damien owns the site.

TO EVERYONE

I have already stated that:

- your positions are well known and further debate is really not necessary
- you are welcome to make a submission in August on ANY issue or give any suggestion (must include exactly HOW it could become a reality)
- in September a committee will sit and discuss everything around a table to debate and hopefully decide a way forward

Please make the submissions in a thread that I shall start in August.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"