Forum Makeover - TOPIC RE-OPENED FOR REVIEW

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Forum Makeover

joffaboy wrote:
bobmurray wrote:A new beginning.

How good is that.. I can't wait to test out my new technical skills..

Brothers in Arms....onward we go
I love you bobmurray, always have allways will.

I was so hard on you because the love I showed was unrequited.

You spurned me, but I will forgive and give you a second chance.

Lets all learn to love

PEACE

Maybe as well as an Animal Enclosure forum we need a Saints Disco forum?...

Somewhere to hold each other tenderly, dance your cares away, and share the love.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:I am sure that it was not BFUSA's intention to further strengthen the oppressive dictatorship that runs this forum.

All that seems to have happened is that HSV has woken up from a long sleep and decided to order us around like we are all naughty schoolboys.

I do not accept that any owner/admin/mod has a divine right to impose their ego on this forum.

BFUSA says that we all own this forum. Obviously that view is not shared by others.
GO before I made my presence more public - 'Nothing is done on here, it's a shambles, run by no one etc etc etc

GO now - 'They're telling us what to do, I don't like this.'

Please tell me what you would like; Moderation or no moderation? You seem to be one of those on here who are not happy either way, and just use this place for anger displacement.

If you want this place to have active moderators, then you have to accept decisions made on the little things that seem to affect you so much.

They walk amongst us...

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Majority wrote:The way to decrease spelling mistakes before pressing the submit button is to write your post on your word processor.
It isn't even that hard Majority. Download and install a reputable Internet program (ie: Firefox) and it will underline any spelling mistakes like Microsoft Word and the like does. That way, if your post is full of red lines before you hit submit, you obviously have made a few mistakes and need to look over it.

They walk amongst us...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
Majority wrote:The way to decrease spelling mistakes before pressing the submit button is to write your post on your word processor.
It isn't even that hard Majority. Download and install a reputable Internet program (ie: Firefox) and it will underline any spelling mistakes like Microsoft Word and the like does. That way, if your post is full of red lines before you hit submit, you obviously have made a few mistakes and need to look over it.
:wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Spelly
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:
Hmmmm ... it appears that I've become redundant ! :)

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Ah Spelly, like phone books, cassette tapes and phone boxes before you, we all get to a useby date!!!! :)

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure it does American spelling.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

sunsaint wrote:If someone takes offence at something written they can PM and ask for removal, if it doesnt get removed then the mods can step in then.
Sorry, but that is twaddle. No entity can be run on the basis of "if someone decides to take offence", that is too arbitrary. It needs to be based on what is collectively considered to be acceptable standards. Plugger66 is clearly thick skinned and is unlikely to take offense at pretty much anything, whereas some precious petals in here are likely to burst in tears if someone opens an envelope from the right side instead if the left side......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I think there are bigger issues to worry about other than the odd spelling mistake not being noticed until minute 6.

Just sayin'

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

20+ ?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Been getting the "you cannot make another post so soon after the last one" thing.
Only really pisses you off in the match day thread.
Seems to be a recent thing that's been added.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Been getting the "you cannot make another post so soon after the last one" thing.
Only really pisses you off in the match day thread.
Seems to be a recent thing that's been added.

Yep its new as well. Probably to stop morons like me posting 2 lots of rubbish in 10 seconds. Now i can only post one lot in that time.

Richter
SS Life Member

HSVKing wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:I am sure that it was not BFUSA's intention to further strengthen the oppressive dictatorship that runs this forum.

All that seems to have happened is that HSV has woken up from a long sleep and decided to order us around like we are all naughty schoolboys.

I do not accept that any owner/admin/mod has a divine right to impose their ego on this forum.

BFUSA says that we all own this forum. Obviously that view is not shared by others.
GO before I made my presence more public - 'Nothing is done on here, it's a shambles, run by no one etc etc etc

Please tell me what you would like; Moderation or no moderation? You seem to be one of those on here who are not happy either way, and just use this place for anger displacement.

If you want this place to have active moderators, then you have to accept decisions made on the little things that seem to affect you so much.
What I don't understand is that removing the EDIT function clearly reduces the opportunity for people to self-moderate.

Why take away that function unilaterally? Guess what, sometimes people say things that they later regret. Yes, even grown adults. What's wrong with the chance to edit this yourself... oh that's right then the evidence is taken away... IMO moderation of the forum is about posts being more respectful of others and their views (whilst allowing for robust debate) rather than an opportunity to punish people.
HSVKing wrote:We're hounded about cleaning up the forum and catching those responsible for certain posts etc, we implement a way so that these posts can't be altered or removed in reasonable time (whilst still giving all posters the chance to fix their mistakes etc), yet we still get hounded about a decision made on how to fix it.
Cleaning up the forum - yes, all in favour.
Catching those responsible - less bothered. Sure the recidivists but the one-off offender, nah.

GO, for once I share your scepticism. But don't worry, your, dragit's and my concerns are
HSVKing wrote:inane

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

HSVKing wrote:

It's not the rules that are the problem.

It's the biased interpretation of the rules to suit certain persons' foibles.

And the condescending manner that is used to enforce compliance.

As my dearly beloved grandfather used to say, (imagine this said in a cockney accent) "There's a difference between scratching your arse and tearing it to pieces".

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

And again this will come to nothing. A forum should be an owned entity and indeed should be a dictatorship. A 'collective' never works because everyone thinks differently.

Rules are rules, follow them or flower off. That should be the dictum of the website!!!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

All for more moderation, but I would never remove the Edit function. For self-moderation and editing mistakes. Also to include additional info, rather than swamping the forum with posts..........

Most people would rather edit their own posts instead of needing to PM Mods.

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

SENsaintsational wrote: A forum should be an owned entity and indeed should be a dictatorship.
Obviously Adolf and Benito were ahead of their time.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
markp
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:A forum should be an owned entity and indeed should be a dictatorship. A 'collective' never works because everyone thinks differently.
How about an anarcho-syndicalist commune?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The whole thing reminds me of the AFL's reaction to one North player running onto the ground a few seconds before his teammate came off.

One of the good things about this Board is that people can largely say whatever they like. For instance, in recent weeks, some people have chosen to start threads with the express purpose of abusing me because of my opinion about the skills of one of our players. But I don't mind, if they, and others, want to waste their time on abuse rather than reasoned response then that's their problem.

Even the issue of the troll (or trolls) was hardly earth shattering. They are pretty easy to spot and are best ignored. Someone will eventually clean up the rubbish, although having a few other members with a "troll cancelling" facility would help.

A few people make dozens of posts a day, commenting on everything and anything. They must have nothing else to do, but so what? The ignore function fixes them. My only concern on this, and other such boards, is that newbies aren't pounced on by a few bullies and told that their posts are stupid or are abused for their naïveté. But even that can be addressed if others are prepared to step forward and speak up in their defence.

Of course, the number one problem of this Board at the moment can be found at this link:

http://www.afl.com.au/ladder

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:The whole thing reminds me of the AFL's reaction to one North player running onto the ground a few seconds before his teammate came off.

One of the good things about this Board is that people can largely say whatever they like. For instance, in recent weeks, some people have chosen to start threads with the express purpose of abusing me because of my opinion about the skills of one of our players. But I don't mind, if they, and others, want to waste their time on abuse rather than reasoned response then that's their problem.

Even the issue of the troll (or trolls) was hardly earth shattering. They are pretty easy to spot and are best ignored. Someone will eventually clean up the rubbish, although having a few other members with a "troll cancelling" facility would help.

A few people make dozens of posts a day, commenting on everything and anything. They must have nothing else to do, but so what? The ignore function fixes them. My only concern on this, and other such boards, is that newbies aren't pounced on by a few bullies and told that their posts are stupid or are abused for their naïveté. But even that can be addressed if others are prepared to step forward and speak up in their defence.

Of course, the number one problem of this Board at the moment can be found at this link:

I dont often agree with you but this time I totally agree.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

"Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses"

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
perfectionist wrote:The whole thing reminds me of the AFL's reaction to one North player running onto the ground a few seconds before his teammate came off.

I dont often agree with you but this time I totally agree.
Not quite up to the post of the year effort on brown 25, but I agree wholeheartedly with perfectionist. and plugger.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:And again this will come to nothing. A forum should be an owned entity and indeed should be a dictatorship. A 'collective' never works because everyone thinks differently.

Rules are rules, follow them or flower off. That should be the dictum of the website!!!

i agree with that....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

True Believer wrote:
sunsaint wrote:If someone takes offence at something written they can PM and ask for removal, if it doesnt get removed then the mods can step in then.
Sorry, but that is twaddle. No entity can be run on the basis of "if someone decides to take offence", that is too arbitrary. It needs to be based on what is collectively considered to be acceptable standards. Plugger66 is clearly thick skinned and is unlikely to take offense at pretty much anything, whereas some precious petals in here are likely to burst in tears if someone opens an envelope from the right side instead if the left side......
you didnt understand what I wrote, the precious petals that constantly cry to the mods - dont get to remove the post, they can ask for it to be removed by originator, my point is that without the ability to edit, the poster can't do that. The mods still act according to the "rules" to remove the post.
It is a moot point anyway, because the edit button is not coming back.
While it is a lofty ideal to strive to be 'a little kinder and gentler' sadly it only takes one to ruin it for all :)

Seeya
Majority
Club Player

Spelly wrote: Hmmmm ... it appears that I've become redundant ! :)
I came up with the idea many years ago, Spelly.
Due to a certain poster named Spell Checker, who would jump on any incorrect word or sentence.
We had some heated debate back then, before the post counts were reset and before we semi retired from SS.
The debates were about the issues, and never got to the stage of name calling and being childish.
It did not take long for myself and many others on SS, to begin to love you Spelly.