Forum Makeover - TOPIC RE-OPENED FOR REVIEW

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Forum Makeover

In any election there should be an alternative. I think we are seeing evidence that an alternative is both essential and eagerly sought..

We could see a dictatorship if we are not careful.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Will the Saints ever have a quality midfield ?
Buckets
SS Life Member

I'm happy to help out as a mod I'm on here daily at least to browse. Happy to help if needed BFUSA.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:In any election there should be an alternative. I think we are seeing evidence that an alternative is both essential and eagerly sought..

Well, you could always put your money where your mouth is and run as the alternative yourself?

You'd probably have to lose the Old Man Gloom image for your PR during the campaign though. Not sure it would work in your favour to win over a majority.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
bobmurray wrote:In any election there should be an alternative. I think we are seeing evidence that an alternative is both essential and eagerly sought..

Well, you could always put your money where your mouth is and run as the alternative yourself?

You'd probably have to lose the Old Man Gloom image for your PR during the campaign though. Not sure it would work in your favour to win over a majority.
Will you be my running mate, that would help my image no end... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever have a quality midfield ?
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

To be clear ... I don't even want to be a MOD or Admin ... rather be involved in getting this ship back in order AND making it more feature and content rich ...

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BakesFan
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote: We could see a dictatorship if we are not careful.... :shock: :shock: :shock:
... :lol: that sounds scary...thank goodness that's not the case now. :roll:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:To be clear ... I don't even want to be a MOD or Admin ... rather be involved in getting this ship back in order AND making it more feature and content rich ...
Good. The separation is important.

SS is run as badly as our club at moment.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

what about the .. 1 Id / persona / forum name ONLY rule ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Principle of Q'uo wrote:what about the .. 1 Id / persona / forum name ONLY rule ?

yes what about it?

I agree gazrat oops - :D :D :D

We need to stop the people who are on here with more than one nic like one we all know of on the GO.

And bobmurray cant be a mod he doesn't understand technology as we all know.

But with you all of the way BFUSA.

Still my only two requests would be to have the ignore option and to stop fools having more than one nic.

I can't see any drawbacks.

I can see the moderation improving and I'll put my hand up for being over robust on occasions.

Willing to temper that especially if the moderations rules are followed and moderators enforce them.

May well stop one well known serial abuser and spammer who actually has been banned from SS on more than one occasion from wrecking the forum with his tirades of invective and insults.

I am wiling to help finance this in a capacity but maybe a caveat would be that, well for me anyway, was if the moderation rules were strictly enforced, and that includes for everyone, me included. Speaking to many on here I know they dont post here anymore because of the free reign one particular spammer and abuser has been given.

cheers - let me know how I can assist. happy to improve this forum and get the place to improve.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Someone explain The reasoning the forum needs to be open.......

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

matrix wrote:Someone explain The reasoning the forum needs to be open.......
i dont think it should be open but newbies should be able to view before having to sign on

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Bring in a public "sin bin" and im in in

Seeya
matrix
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
i dont think it should be open but newbies should be able to view before having to sign on

not a bad idea but dont know how that could happen
the traffics here already
its not like we need another 2000 members?
but agree no point discouraging people about joining
finding a way around the log in issue would be a good idea

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:

Isnt that the same as being open. You must join to write things but surely to get more people they need to see what they are getting themselves in for before joining. Before I joined I could see what people wrote and thought this may be good for gatting news and opinions. Now you have to join to see.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Bring in a public "sin bin" and im in in
BF uses a card system which seems to work OK.

Has to be highly moderated though.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup
card system is the go

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Look guys, as a respected, intelligent, fair poster of SS. I fully agree this change.

1. Forum should be open
2. Ignore option should NOT be an option
3. Different Banner
4. Some posters may like to write articles or something
5. Have a tipping comp that is shown on the front screen, to get the site more interactive.
6. A debate forum (like your you suggested)
7. Links to Saints sites
8. Maybe a forum page where we can post videos of the club.
9. I think BF works well with the card system. Worth a look, but as someone suggested, need to see that once the Mod situation is fixed
10. Mods, Mods, Mods

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

Isnt that the same as being open. You must join to write things but surely to get more people they need to see what they are getting themselves in for before joining. Before I joined I could see what people wrote and thought this may be good for gatting news and opinions. Now you have to join to see.
Agree.

Whoever decided to put this feature in must've had rocks in their head. It really helped kill off the forum as we knew it, together with almost zero moderation.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Whoever decided to put this feature in must've had rocks in their head. It really helped kill off the forum as we knew it, together with almost zero moderation.
Yep. Opening up the forum again would be a massive step.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It was more the down days when no one could log in or see anything then changed the look of the place and then closed it. Plenty of creatures of habit nearly melted down when their screen went black and red. I can see us turning into another Egypt here. The black white and red must bring out the crazies.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

opening it up does not help get new members
opening it up will not stop trolls

you have a main page that describes the site, and that if you want to be part of the community then please by all means create a username and come join in the fun of discussing the saints and be part of our forum.
if you dont want to be a part of it why should you be able to waltz in and read everything? just because you can on big footy??

it never stopped me or prob 300 others poining back when you had to log in to read
anyhoo
its something that can be turned off and on at the flick of a switch and can be tried out when the new format is running

other ideas:
embedded youtube links
twitter and facebook links to the club and players (for those that use that side of social media)
report button stays
ignore function stays (u have to have the option for people)
multiple templates to choose which layout and colors suit each poster best
a card system
when on the saints page/area (here) there needs to be links to the other areas of the forum at the click of a button and shown on the saints area, that way they might get more traffic.
donating members to be recognised somewhere near the avatar
like buttons for all the facebook users
donation button on the forum so it can be seen at all times and how much % has been donated as the days tick along.
donating members to get something non donating members dont, i dont know, something small, that might encourage more people to donate..maybe a sep area or something??
but you need something to encourage peeps to drop $5 etc
maybe bronze silver gold donators??????
comps with any left over server donations
like signed stuff...alot of posters go to training etc and can get sigs etc and these can be used for competitions for the people that cant get near training etc (bit like what we have now with MM and the player sponsor thing)
needs to be at least 6 mods if not more

just throwing out ideas

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:opening it up does not help get new members
opening it up will not stop trolls

you have a main page that describes the site, and that if you want to be part of the community then please by all means create a username and come join in the fun of discussing the saints and be part of our forum.
if you dont want to be a part of it why should you be able to waltz in and read everything? just because you can on big footy??

it never stopped me or prob 300 others poining back when you had to log in to read
anyhoo
its something that can be turned off and on at the flick of a switch and can be tried out when the new format is running

other ideas:
embedded youtube links
twitter and facebook links to the club and players (for those that use that side of social media)
report button stays
ignore function stays (u have to have the option for people)
multiple templates to choose which layout and colors suit each poster best
a card system
when on the saints page/area (here) there needs to be links to the other areas of the forum at the click of a button and shown on the saints area, that way they might get more traffic.
donating members to be recognised somewhere near the avatar
like buttons for all the facebook users
donation button on the forum so it can be seen at all times and how much % has been donated as the days tick along.
donating members to get something non donating members dont, i dont know, something small, that might encourage more people to donate..maybe a sep area or something??
but you need something to encourage peeps to drop $5 etc
maybe bronze silver gold donators??????
comps with any left over server donations
like signed stuff...alot of posters go to training etc and can get sigs etc and these can be used for competitions for the people that cant get near training etc (bit like what we have now with MM and the player sponsor thing)
needs to be at least 6 mods if not more

just throwing out ideas

I joined 3 months before you and Im sure i could read all the posts before i joined. I thought that only stopped about 4 years ago if not less. Could be wrong. I have a habit of that. Maybe we have a telly of the money donated on that posters profile. rather not have separate areas because some people mightnt be able to afford a donation but may say many worthwhile things like I do. No idea how the card system works on BF. Never go there. Can someone explain it?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugs, apart from saying you're ugly and own a 1999 commodore wagon what useful things have you said on here? :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:plugs, apart from saying you're ugly and own a 1999 commodore wagon what useful things have you said on here? :wink:

This thread all the whole forum? If its this thread not much at all but ifs it the whole forum well yer still not much at all. I did once say Dal was going to miss a game and I ws 100% sure. he played.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

seeing as i have you on ignore i had to hit the display this post...yeah it was a risk, but if the discussion stays about making this place better i can take that risk to communicate

the card system works by getting yellow and red cards
id prob be on yellow and youd prob be on red by about now
i shouldnt need to explain why....

it wouldnt be a separate talking area for donators, as those that could not afford it it wouldnt be fair to
just something diff, maybe a slightly bigger avatar and a custom title under your avatar and non donators dont get that?

its just ideas plugger to get more peeps to possibly chip in $5 or so
the more donations the quicker the bill gets paid
the more donations the more chance of getting extra bucks the forum could use to but towards competition prizes or something that could then go back to posters?

eg the bill is 1000 for the year
we get 1300
someone could get a jumper and get a few sigs on it, it could then be put in a comp for dedicated posters who contribute.
imagine someone up in far nq or wa or tassie that cant get to games etc, they might be able to win a signed jumper for themselves or a signed little footy for the kids????