Forum Makeover - TOPIC RE-OPENED FOR REVIEW

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Forum Makeover

Corecting peaple's speling and gramer on a forem I find quite amuzing. Why would you bother? I mean ceriously, why would you bother unless your a primary skool teecher. Their are far more anoying things to wory about.

An internet forum has people with different backgrounds, different values and different opinions, 8856brother.
If we all try to understand this, we can move into the new forum with optimism.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Majority wrote:An internet forum has people with different backgrounds, different values and different opinions, 8856brother.
Are you in the majority or minority, Majority? :shock: :P

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I have been reading the pros and cons of the edit function debate with interest.

While I think it would be great to allow posters to edit themselves (not so much for spelling etc but more for the ability to alter things they regret posting after a cooling off period) and perhaps 5 minutes isn't long enough and this is certainly worthy of discussion between the site admin and mods to find a solution.

Perhaps the solution is to even slightly increase the edit time from 5 to 10 and then possibly 15 minutes.

Out of interest would 15 minutes be enough to cool off and self moderate?

I do not know whether technically the system can give posters the ability to delete their own posts even beyond the 5, 10 or 15 minute timeframe - but this is worth investigating too.

The thing that admin and mods are trying to prevent i believe is the circumstance when posters alter their posts after receiving responses that reflect the original post rather than the later amended post ... which after editing makes the responses either nonsensical or plain wrong ... It has been used in this manner and further inflamed already heated arguments that have moshly degenerated into personal attacks.

I think stage 1 is that we continue our path to a more respectful forum where personal attacks are hopefully eliminated.

If we can achieve that then i beleive that a strong argument could be made for the edit tool to possibly become available again in full, but then again given the history of how it was abused in the past, there are strong arguments against too.

I think this is a really difficult decision and for the moment can we leave the limit at 5 minutes (enough to correct typos if you want) and we shall integrate a strategy into the overall changes planned for the forum based on all the feedback.

Please note - the admin / mods are volunteers and trying to create the best possible environment for robust discussion!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Honestly, I believe taking away the edit function or at least putting a cap on it is just plain silly. Apart from mods and admin everyone agrees it's a poor idea. That says something.

Majority
Club Player

BackFromUSA makes some valid points on the edit/delete issue,
but has not thought of the ideal solution, imho.

I would suggest it remains as it is, until that solution is found.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Majority wrote:An internet forum has people with different backgrounds, different values and different opinions, 8856brother.
Fair comment. What does it have to do with spelling? I personally find not being able to edit my posts frustrating, some others find it necessary to let other posters know they can't spell. Each to their own I suppose.

SS Life Member

I think it's a good idea to remove the 'edit' button, Old Mate......

....there's no 'edit' button in real life....it makes one consider his/her words carefully.....it should be no different when you post.....

...if you choose to 'blurt out' inane dribble (which I sometimes do).....or viciously attack a fellow Forumite.... you should be made accountable for those words.....

...Your choice then is to endorse them or apologise for them......

I vote to remove the edit button completely...........You have plenty of time to edit and preview a post before you choose to hit "Submit".

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:I think it's a good idea to remove the 'edit' button, Old Mate......

....there's no 'edit' button in real life....it makes one consider his/her words carefully.....it should be no different when you post.....

...if you choose to 'blurt out' inane dribble (which I sometimes do).....or viciously attack a fellow Forumite.... you should be made accountable for those words.....

...Your choice then is to endorse them or apologise for them......

I vote to remove the edit button completely...........You have plenty of time to edit and preview a post before you choose to hit "Submit".
Okay so there are others who vote to remove the edit button but I believe the majority would like it kept.

Personally I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like the ability to correct errors or add further comment if I forget in the first instance. I'm certainly not one to change what i've written because I regret what I've said, or to avoid reprimand if I say something untoward.

Apart from trolls there's only a handful of forumites who get nasty so not sure there's a lot of value in having the accountability you speak of.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I personally am not that fazed by spelling errors. People make mistakes, some have trouble spelling, it's just how things are. Often I make spelling errors, either it's just a slip I haven't noticed or Im not aware I spelt it wrong, just the same of others. I don't feel it should take away from the post. Might be frustrating for others but no different to reading something spelt correctly that you just feel is so clearly wrong. It's a forum created by words it's reasonable some words are wrong.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah not fussed about the edit button myself.
if you have a rant then you have a rant, dont regret it later, just move on..we all have a rant, thats life
can remember having a huge tanty on here, (mightve gone off at joff )
s*** happens. you get over it and it is what it is

i preview bigger posts... usually
if its a spelling mistake im not overly fussed, most peeps can still understand what the post is trying to say whens theres a few spelling mistakes.

just gotta be careful if we say something that might be directed towards or about the club, or any club or player, some gossip or rumor or info of some kind that needs to be removed very quickly.
if no mod/admin is about for (say) an hr it could get someone in the shite

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

5 page discussion on an edit button???

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
markp
Saintsational Legend

Today it's our edit button... tomorrow it's our freedom!!!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I actually don't mind the edit button. Might have been abused a bit, but most use it for the right reason. Can give an opportunity for cooler heads to prevail.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

There are suggestions that we reset the post counts in the brave new world ahead.

That may or may not happen.

Now I know this is very self indulgent, but for the time being, please allow me to celebrate this rare "Black Caviar" moment. 8-)

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:5 page discussion on an edit button???
How Farked is that. i mean .. let's get an issue, I know I left kindergarten a long long time ago but sometimes I feel like i'm back there, and this time it's with grown men

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i don't get the issue

if I'm responding to a particular post that has offended or angered me... I would quote it hence the edit debate becomes moot.

on a few instances I've posted and regretted it, I've deleted the post fairly quickly... wouldn't want to lose that function as I can be a bit hot headed sometimes

system was fine for me

BakesFan
SS Life Member

so, any news of the upgrade?..possible new features etc.?........ or is it just; "appoint a couple of extra mods and that'll do"?

...just wondering.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan

These things take time.

As stated the first step was to have effective moderation on the fan forum.

HSVking and Battye are working on ways to limit the ability of trolls entering and multi posting to take Over the forum before MODS get on and check. These technical things are not a simple flick on a switch.

Over the weekend I am finalizing a list if requests of features that I shall ask Battye and HSVking to implement.

And we really need more active MODS here but it seems difficult to get either a consensus on who should be a MOD and then convincing the poster to become a MOD. I am hoping that HSVking / Battye will add a MOD who has volunteered and has time during days (when i am at work) this weekend. I shall message them to try to get this going.

This weekend i am looking at creating for stickies:

- a "how to alert MODS to rule breaches"
- a "how to configure the forum for RW&B"

Also I am looking for a way of incorporating a simple summary of the forum rules into the banner.

IMHO we have come a long way in about a week.

Please give us time.

Thanks

Simon

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

And my web guy is back next week and I shall be briefing him on the new website at www.saintational.com

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well done.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I've often used the "edit" facility, but I think the point made about posters having to now choose their words a little more carefully is a valid one! Mind you, we HAVE gone on a bit about it (edit button) have we not? I'm happy to self-edit as I post. After all few typos matter less than inappropriate/abusive content.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Cheers, BFUSA... not whinging, just wondering.... appreciate your efforts.......

p.s.....I was the annoying one in the classroom that always had to question teachers/authority about everything......not with the intention of causing grief....just wanted to know 'why?'..'how?'...etc.

....never been able to blindly follow without knowing the reason/goal.......I think i'm part ADD/OCD.....maybe I'm a new category of AD/CD?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so we're staying with this format and just chucking in some ad ons??

surely we are going a completely new forum and template?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Matrix - short term yes staying with this forum format with new features and increased moderation and some web presence with forum / Facebook / twitter / Instagram integration and new proprietory content.

In the off season we can look at the possibly of migration to a new forum platform if the platform offers significant advantages.

I believe that this forum platform can offer us all the functionality requested and until this is proven not to be correct then we shall continue using phbPP.

Simon